art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (1): rappalardoryanp,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Book 12: The Gathering Storm
User Name
Password

Old 04-16-2010, 12:14 AM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless View Post
Channeling will no longer exist by the time the 1st Age comes again, but we know it will continue at least through the 4th Age because of Nicola's Fortelling that "the Guardians will balance the Servants."

We do?

What about Nicola's foretelling says that the Asha'man and Aes Sedai of the Fourth Age will be able to Channel?

OR

That their ability to Channel will lastt he entire Age?

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:02 PM
Elder

nameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant future

Asha'man are trained in martial arts as well as the One Power. If Aes Sedai lost the ability to channel they would no longer be an effective balance because their own training focuses almost exclusively on the Power.

Channeling might or might not last the entire 4th Age but it will continue beyond Tarmon Gaidon.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:11 PM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
Asha'man are trained in martial arts as well as the One Power. If Aes Sedai lost the ability to channel they would no longer be an effective balance because their own training focuses almost exclusively on the Power.
Aes Sedai "power" rests more on the WT's political influence than it does on the ability to channel. The Grey Ajah in particular are trained diplomats and that training doesn't rely onthe aibility to channel; The Blues are social engineers (meddlers) but they seldom need to Channel to implement their social engineering (meddling.)

Even if Channeling were to disappear instantaneously, the Aes Sedai would survive a century or two as a "balance" to the asha'man just on their reputation.

If Channeling does disappear the asha'man are no more than another stateless army like the Whitecloaks, without even the centuries of reputation the WT can fall back on.

Quote:
Channeling might or might not last the entire 4th Age but it will continue beyond Tarmon Gaidon.
But Nicola's Foretelling provides no evidence to prove whether Channeling will or will not survive T'G. I happen to agree that Channeling won't shut off like a tripped circuit breaker, but, to the best of my knowledge, there is no definitive proof for or against the idea.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:00 PM
Youngling

NaeffOfDreams is an unknown quantity at this point

As far as sheer numbers go, we're getting closer to the Guardians matching the Servants already, if Taim is to be believed, which could go either way.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:38 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaeffOfDreams View Post
As far as sheer numbers go, we're getting closer to the Guardians matching the Servants already, if Taim is to be believed, which could go either way.
One of Logain's bonded Aes Sedai, Toviene, gave an estimate of Asha'mn numbers that essentially confirms Logain's report to Rand on total numbers in the BT -- numbers-wise, the guardians and servants do match fairly closely, down to the numbers of darkfriends (aka Taim's faction, which includes almost all those of asha'man rank.)

The only place that Taim has obviously been fudging the numbers is in the numbers succumbing to Taint Madness and deaths in training accidents -- many of those have to be covering up failed recruitments to his DF Faction.

Tags
dark lord, dark one, lews therin, true power, true source