art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Book 12: The Gathering Storm
User Name
Password

View Poll Results: Lews Therin
Lews Therin's memories are real, but the "voice" is an illusion subconsciously created by Rand. 43 75.44%
The LTT in Rands head is the same as the LTT from the AoL, and can think/act, independent of Rand. 14 24.56%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-05-2009, 01:30 PM
Hero of the Horn

Crispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Harold
A Construct is, in most ways, a coping mechanism to avoid insanity. In other ways, it is a symptom of insanity.
Still too cryptic.

What you mean is that Rand could not bring himself to identify with the memories of an insane murder, so he created a separate identity to which to ascribe those memories (and, not coincidentally, any other thoughts or emotions with which he wasn't comfortable). But the very act of dissociating himself with Lews Therin, who was simply Rand himself, was an act of madness.

In effect, Rand drove himself mad by trying not to be mad.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:04 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispin's Crispian
Still too cryptic.

What you mean is that Rand could not bring himself to identify with the memories of an insane murder, so he created a separate identity to which to ascribe those memories (and, not coincidentally, any other thoughts or emotions with which he wasn't comfortable). But the very act of dissociating himself with Lews Therin, who was simply Rand himself, was an act of madness.
The act was a cause of madness as well - the act could also be seen as a symptom, but it's more of a cause in this case than anything else, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC
Like I said before, this is what happens when you allow your subconscious to sort out your issues.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:10 PM
Hero of the Horn

Belazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Belazamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispin's Crispian
PERFECT. Thank you.

No one cares, no one sympathizes
You just stand around and play synthesizers
Old 11-07-2009, 10:54 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

Bump, since more noobs are coming in and all.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:31 AM
Elder

Lord Bloodpath is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Well that's just mad!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez
'real' theory DOES NOT account for the fact that the 'voice' was created due to Rand's psychological problems. If you want a theory that has everything, then go for construct.
that's a misleading statement. If the voice was 'real,' then it wasn't "created" by anything, let alone pych issues. The voice was the product of the soul's last strong imprint of pesonality being deluded by the taint's worsening of it's judgement into believing itself seperate from the soul's current current personality imprint.

Berelain: You were frozen, so I helped you by taking off your clothes and putting you in my tent.
Perrin: You have a unique way of helping people. I feel strangely satisfied.
Berelain: Oh, I helped myself too. Abracadabra.
*By ISAM*
Old 11-08-2009, 12:33 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bloodpath
that's a misleading statement.
No it isn't. The 'real' theory doesn't account for it (meaning they don't believe it).
Old 11-08-2009, 12:37 AM
Elder

Lord Bloodpath is an unknown quantity at this point

to say that one person is not accounting for something that may not exist is an extremely interesting statement in and of itself.

But what did you think of the rest of my post?

Berelain: You were frozen, so I helped you by taking off your clothes and putting you in my tent.
Perrin: You have a unique way of helping people. I feel strangely satisfied.
Berelain: Oh, I helped myself too. Abracadabra.
*By ISAM*
Old 11-08-2009, 12:43 AM
Hero of the Horn

Sodas has a spectacular aura aboutSodas has a spectacular aura aboutSodas has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bloodpath
that's a misleading statement. If the voice was 'real,' then it wasn't "created" by anything, let alone pych issues. The voice was the product of the soul's last strong imprint of pesonality being deluded by the taint's worsening of it's judgement into believing itself seperate from the soul's current current personality imprint.
I like to think LTT's voice is the persona created by LTT living his life.

Mazrim Taim drew the eye. He was tall, with a strongly hooked nose and an air of physical strength about him. An air of darkness, too. He sat there with his ankles crossed and one arm hanging over the heavy arm of the throne, yet he seemed ready to explode into violence. Interestingly, though his black coat was embroidered with blue-and-gold dragons that twined around the sleeves from elbows to cuffs, he did not wear the collar pins.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:55 AM
Hero of the Horn

Isabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Isabel

Exactly. And because Rand didn't accept the voice,and or LTT didn't realize yet that Ilyena would be reborn again, Rand didn't integrate.
So that's why Rand kept being insane.
'Rand al'Thor, Nynaeve shrieked, that is the most outrageous thing I ever heard out of your mouth. The very idea of telling three women you love them! You are worse than a lecher. You apologize right now!'

Isabel sedai of the Green Ajah, Amyrlin of the Official Nynaeve Fanclub, first sister to Gennie Sedai of the Green Ajah, bonded to Camel, Wolf Gaidin, Jachthond and ghostrider.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:56 AM
Hero of the Horn

Lews Therin always knew that Ilyena would be reborn. He just didn't apply that knowledge.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:25 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Lews Therin always knew that Ilyena would be reborn. He just didn't apply that knowledge.
Well, he was Aes Sedai, you know.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:24 PM
Hero of the Horn

JSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to JSUCamel Send a message via MSN to JSUCamel Send a message via Yahoo to JSUCamel

Quote:
Knowing doesn't equal understanding. Everyone knows they'll be reborn, but few apply the current situation to the future.

A sociopath knowing that going to prison for murder as punishment is one thing. Realizing that prison is also saving the lives of those he would have killed in the future is quite another.

Similarly, knowing that one will be reborn eventually is one thing. Knowing that rebirth gives you another chance at love, laughter and tears is a much larger leap. It required Rand to stop being thinking of his identity as Dragon as being about him, and realize that his identity as Dragon is about helping others -- not just those around him today, but those in the future that he will never meet.

"Nice try, Jack!" - Robert Jordan (to Camel)
"Camel must be the coolest TLer ever, by now." -GLotD

A grilled cheese eaten more than five minutes later is just no good. -Crispin

Old 11-12-2009, 10:35 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSUCamel
Knowing doesn't equal understanding.
That's what I said. He knew, but he didn't apply the knowledge.

Bumped, for moar noobs.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:08 AM
Hero of the Horn

Bringing this to the top just because I wanted to post about the Lews Therin discussion I'm having at tor.com, and I didn't want to start a new thread. It's been fun; I don't think these people quite know the meaning of 'longpost' yet. There are a few hard core real'ers there, but I've made some converts. That's always exciting. My first post is #172. It's on Leigh Butler's review of the chapter in The Path of Daggers where Lews Therin comes back from vacation, so I figured that would be a good place to start a debate.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:03 PM
Elder

FelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant future
Default Missionaries, Debates, Advertising...Popularity Queen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
There are a few hard core real'ers there, but I've made some converts. That's always exciting.
Ah, claiming to be a Missionary not an Intellectual?

Looks like you, you have quite a few doubters at TOR on this topic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelancer
I'm happier that someone is backing off the Elayne-bashing than whether Terez27 will ever come around to the truth that Lews Therin is real.

Ironically Terez, on this one topic of L.T.T., I'm in base agreement, yet I also do think Sodas view of point is valid as well:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodas
I feel that LTT is the personality created by the Dragon Soul when it lived in the Age of Legends. Rand is the personality created by the Dragon Soul to live now. But they are the same man, the same Soul.

Think of it as different faces of the same gem.
For example, did Lew Therin have a hang up about killing women who threaten his life, that Rand al'Thor and most Two Rivers men have?

I suspect that was one difference expressed, in the Dragon Reborn's personality then and now--even though the soul is the very same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez27
I always assumed that the popularity of the theory would depend on our arguments alone.
Isn't that a White Ajah point of view, "on our arguments alone"?

Yet strangely there seems to be an omission in the role that the sheer number of postings plays in attempting to beat people into kneeling to your very own point of view on multiple boards.

If excellent arguments were all that matters, for 'popularity' and 'truth', shouldn't Terez have posted a few less times?

Is Terez's real motto, if I can't beat'em I will out advertise them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez27
I get frustrated more easily arguing Gawyn because we're going to find out soon enough one way or the other.
Or is it because, you don't now feel as strongly for your own prior theory, of "Gawyn Will Kill Rand" as you once did?

For more see, @TinkerPride at Twitter.com

Last edited by FelixPax; 05-25-2010 at 08:05 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:51 AM
Elder

Casabamelon has a brilliant futureCasabamelon has a brilliant futureCasabamelon has a brilliant futureCasabamelon has a brilliant futureCasabamelon has a brilliant futureCasabamelon has a brilliant futureCasabamelon has a brilliant futureCasabamelon has a brilliant futureCasabamelon has a brilliant futureCasabamelon has a brilliant futureCasabamelon has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
Bringing this to the top just because I wanted to post about the Lews Therin discussion I'm having at tor.com, and I didn't want to start a new thread. It's been fun; I don't think these people quite know the meaning of 'longpost' yet. There are a few hard core real'ers there, but I've made some converts. That's always exciting. My first post is #172. It's on Leigh Butler's review of the chapter in The Path of Daggers where Lews Therin comes back from vacation, so I figured that would be a good place to start a debate.
Good lawd. I tried to read through the comments to get where the fun started, and I think I pulled something reading through the "Blackberry Bush" nonsense. Either that or the idiots made me facepalm one too many times.

My head hurts. Where'd I put the beer?

Wait, I'm at work.

Where'd I put the whiskey.
________
AMATEUR TUBED

Last edited by Casabamelon; 04-04-2011 at 09:13 AM.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:57 AM
Hero of the Horn

LOL, yeah the blackberry argument was ridiculous. There were only a couple of people that were arguing it was Tar Valon, though...most of them have more sense than that.

Tags
lews therin, the gathering storm