art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - Non Wot Discussion Boards > Archived: Non WoT Related Discussion 09/09 - 9/10
User Name
Password

Old 09-21-2009, 09:59 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute
Default be fruitful and multiply

http://www.ynetnews.com/Ext/Comp/Art...778275,00.html

Quote:
Woman dies at 99, leaves behind 1,400 descendents

One of Jerusalemite Rachel Krishevsky's grandchildren says with pride, 'Grandma knew all of her descendents'
Nissan Shtrauchler

The commandment to "be fruitful and multiply" the Krishevsky family follows quite closely. Last Saturday, the great grandmother, Rachel Krishevsky passed away at the age of 99, leaving behind no less than 1,400 children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, and even great-great-grandchildren.

Krishevsky got married to her cousin, Yitzhak, just before turning 19. The couple brought seven sons and four daughters into the world. In accordance with haredi custom, Krishevsky brought up her children to see children as a great joy. Her children subsequently adopted her outlook and produced 150 children of their own.

These 150 children continued the commitment to be fruitful and multiply and themselves had no less than 1,000 children. From here, the lineage continued even further, and Rachel Krishevsky was blessed with a few hundred great-great-grandchildren.

Rachel Krishevsky died on Saturday surrounded by loving descendents.

Due to their great numbers, the family is not quite clear on precisely how many descendents there are. "The estimate in the family is that we are about 1,400 people since almost all of those from the family line were blessed with many children," said one of the grandchildren Wednesday.

Though she lived a full and long life, the family is saddened by Rachel's passing. Krishevsky lived nearly her whole live next to Jerusalem's Mahane Yehuda open-air market.

"Grandma was a God-fearing woman her whole life, and her door was always open to the homeless and poor near the market who were looking for a place to eat," added the grandchild.

"She knew the entire book of Psalms by heart, and participated in all the family events, happy and sad, up until two years ago. She knew all of her descendents. We are sad about her death, but proud of what she achieved in her life and her righteousness and compassion."

Though Krishevsky certainly produced many offspring, she did was not a record-breaker. In the haredi sector, there are two well-known cases of living people having great-great-great-grandchildren. One such case is in a Hassidic family living in the Jerusalem neighborhood of Mea Shearim. Another such family is that of Rabbi Yosef Shalom Elyashiv, the leader of the Lithuanian branch of haredi Judaism. A few months ago, his great-great-grandson had his first child.
*stunned*

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 09-21-2009, 10:16 AM
Hero of the Horn

Gilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond repute

And that's how we hit 6 BILLION humans on the planet.

By: Steampunk Boba Fett
Old 09-21-2009, 10:20 AM
Hero of the Horn

Ivhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Ivhon Send a message via Yahoo to Ivhon

Can you imagine parsing out the estate?

"To my great grandson Ibrahim, I leave the sum of ONE DOLLAR AND TWENTY-NINE CENTS"

Proud owner of the first post on TL's VBulletin forum (sorry...I had ta )

Greeter Emeritus
Old 09-21-2009, 10:29 AM
Hero of the Horn

Sarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to behold

Hehe, I thought my family was big...
(grandparents --> 13 children (+1 stilborn) --> 3 or more kids each --> most of those have kids.
I think that would be about 100-200 descendants? I honestly don't know most of my cousins, let alone their kids...

the Grey Viper, the Lord of Forsaken Roads, the Pink Sunset
Old 09-21-2009, 10:47 AM
Ancient

Zanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant future

poor poor poor woman
the only Z

fairy dust for sale 8.99 per vial

"YES!" - Cary Sedai

"Perhaps science,... [is] simply magic with delusions of lack of grandeur." -Peter David, Restoration

The Greatest Thread
Old 09-21-2009, 10:58 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

yeah... I thought I came from a big extended family too - mom's side grandparents had 4 children, they combined have 18 children (oldest is, I think, 30, youngest 7 or so) and now there's 4 of the new generation (oldest is 7, youngest just a few months). I guess the difference is that I actually know them all very well. I always spent my summers at grandma's and there was always at least 10 kids running around there. Peeling enough potatoes for everyone was a big chore.

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 09-21-2009, 12:07 PM
Hero of the Horn

Crispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond repute

My grandmother was one of sixteen, and she had four kids. Of those four, one had four kids, one had one kid, and one (my mom) had two biological and one adopted.

I have no idea about the other 15, but I think I'm probably related to most of the population of North Dakota.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:47 PM
Elder

Orc is a glorious beacon of lightOrc is a glorious beacon of lightOrc is a glorious beacon of lightOrc is a glorious beacon of lightOrc is a glorious beacon of lightOrc is a glorious beacon of light

My family is tiny. My father was an only child and of my mother's 3 siblings, only one of them had children. So I have one sister and 3 cousins. The descendants of my grandparent's siblings are similarly sparse. When my grandmother turned 90 our family reunion consisted of less than 20 people.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:52 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

My maternal great-grandmother was one of eleven children. I think it's not all that uncommon for families to have around 10 kids - it's just extremely uncommon for those kids to also have 10 kids each. Mostly because growing up in a big family tends to make people swear off the idea - they usually have to share a room with one or two or more siblings, and the family usually has to struggle to make ends meet.

JWB is from a huge family I think. Something like 8 brothers? I forget.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:09 PM
Hero of the Horn

Sarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to behold

With all this talk about it, I just had to go check:
I have 2 siblings.
My father had 12 siblings
I have 45 cousins from my father's side, who have a total of (at least) 61 children (website may not have been updated completely).

My mother had 4 siblings, each have 3 children.

Total extended family:
4 grandparents (all deceased)
16 uncles (3 deceased) and 16 aunts
57 cousins
at least 61 uh... what's the word? second cousins?

total: 153 (146 living)

Old 09-21-2009, 01:14 PM
Hero of the Horn

Birgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Birgitte Send a message via MSN to Birgitte

Did she by any chance live in a shoe?

Come on! Someone had to go there!

General of the Northern Border, Hero of Krieros Valley, the Coffinnail
Queen of the TCA

"Sometimes I sit around... watching chat... and thinking...sh*t... I created this madness." -- Lord of the Board
Old 09-21-2009, 01:19 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

Mom's side: 4 kids (including mom), total of 9 children (counting me and my two brothers, one of which has passed away), only one of which (my brother) has kids yet.

Dad's side: 4 kids (including dad), total of 8 blood children (NOT counting me and my brother) and 5 adopted. Of the cousins, one has had 4 kids, another has had 3. The adopted cousins have kids too - not sure how many, but I think around 6 total.

Total:

19 cousins (including 5 adopted)
7 second cousins (not including ~6 adopted second cousins)
1 brother
1 niece

Not too bad. If I get into second cousins via my great aunts and uncles, it gets complicated. Family reunions on both sides of the family are huge.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:50 PM
Hero of the Horn

Brita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond repute

My Family Line:

I have 1 surviving uncle.

I have 1 brother, and 1 sister.

I have 1 adopted cousin.

That was easy.

My siblings and I are trying to revive the family tree (it is uttering it's dying breaths) as my cousin will not be having any children.

I have 2 kids, my sister has 2 kids. So we have now matched my the number of kids from my generation, it is up to my brother to give us a few more, just to say our lineage is growing. Plus, he is the only one carrying our family name that can still bear offspring. We are on the brink of obscurity. No pressure or anything though, bro

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. ― Anthony Bourdain

Last edited by Brita; 09-21-2009 at 01:56 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:30 PM
Hero of the Horn

Sinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Sinistrum

Man someone needs to lay off the Marvin Gaye.

People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. - River Tam
Old 09-21-2009, 02:32 PM
Ancient

Zanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant future

my grandfather was the second oldest of 8 brothers.
I have seven + siblings.

I have a half brother
a sister
three step brothers
two step sisters
my mother recently (three or four years i am not sure) remaried and rumor has it he had three kids of his own but those are unsubstantiated rumors

and no this is not an arkansan thing
my half brother lives in austin
my sister and a step brother live in florida
both step sisters live in new jersey
and my other brother lives in where ever he is at at the moment currently it is north carolina.

I dont count cousins aunts or uncles mainly because i cannot count that high and i cant ever remember whos who anyhow.
the only Z

fairy dust for sale 8.99 per vial

"YES!" - Cary Sedai

"Perhaps science,... [is] simply magic with delusions of lack of grandeur." -Peter David, Restoration

The Greatest Thread
Old 09-21-2009, 04:24 PM
Hero of the Horn

DeiwosTheSkyGod is just really niceDeiwosTheSkyGod is just really niceDeiwosTheSkyGod is just really niceDeiwosTheSkyGod is just really niceDeiwosTheSkyGod is just really nice

I wonder how many of her grandkids and great-grandkids she could name...
Old 09-21-2009, 04:36 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanguini
I dont count cousins aunts or uncles mainly because i cannot count that high and i cant ever remember whos who anyhow.
Lol, same here, at least where the cousins are concerned. I wouldn't recognize any of them.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:01 PM
Hero of the Horn

jason wolfbrother has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to jason wolfbrother Send a message via MSN to jason wolfbrother Send a message via Yahoo to jason wolfbrother

I'm the third of eight. 5 boys and 3 girls. My dad has one older brother and a twin sister. My mom is the oldest of four. Aunt on dad's side has two. Uncle on mom's side has two, Aunt on mom's side has two. Older brother has four, older sister has two, younger brother's fiancee is pregnant and my younger sister is pregnant as well. Church was the best part. We took up the whole pew. lol

Wash:"Things are about to get interesting"
Mal:"Define interesting..."
Wash:"Oh God! Oh God! We're all gonna die!?"

"If you are not living life on the edge, you are taking up too much space"
Old 09-21-2009, 07:43 PM
Ancient

Cary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant future

I have 2 older half sisters, 1 brother, and 3 younger half sisters. I don't much count any of them.

But I do count my 1 Warder Sister, and my 1 Near Sis, and the whole adopted 'Taer Clan, of course

I think Zan and I should have lots and lots of babies and start our own family line!
First-sister to Nazbaque, Great Lord of the Flame
Near-sister to Terez, Quotemistress
Lady of Chaos, official member of LoC, Big-sis to Rand & Myr...Woohoo!
Un-official adopted daughter of Pops'Taer, a.k.a. Cary'Taer
Cary Sedai, The first ever, Fairy of the TCA
Old 09-21-2009, 07:50 PM
Hero of the Horn

I think the Taer clan is so inbred that everyone at Theoryland is in it.