art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - Non Wot Discussion Boards > Archived: Non WoT Related Discussion 09/09 - 9/10
User Name
Password

Old 03-30-2010, 09:36 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

I watched a nice interview with Bill Clinton. I want to say it was on TDL or Colbert. Anyway, he talked about how universal health care was a top priority for the left wing voters in the US, and he really wanted to push a plan through, but not only was the political climate for health care dangerous, but he also wanted to balance the budget, partly just to show that it could be done. And yes, it was Clinton's efforts that got it done, not any plans laid down before him. Some will say it was the Republican Congress - most of Clinton's tenure was against a Republican majority in both houses - but it was on the top of Clinton's agenda to balance the budget when he first ran for office (along with health care).

I also disliked Clinton intensely, by the way. I was one of the more vocal campaigners for HW in the 8th grade, in '92. By '96 I had gotten a lot more apathetic.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:36 PM
Hero of the Horn

tworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to tworiverswoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
I don't think the point of the poll was to see how many of these people had memorized tax rates. It was to demonstrate how wildly inaccurate a teabagger's beliefs are. If I say a family with an income of 50k gets taxed 4000 when the actual number is 3500, thats not bad. If I say 10000 when the actual number is 3500, im clearly an idiot.
Perhaps not an idiot. I can see a great many people thinking that's a reasonable figure.

However, if you are marching in protest and waving angry signs and writing hostile letters based on numbers you can't be bothered to research, then you deserve any name the opposition cares to label you with.

It's one thing to be honestly mistaken. It's quite another to ACT on incorrect information, when the CORRECT information is so readily available, for just a few moments of your time.
"once I'm naked, i can't get any cooler!" - Camel

Back in my day Pluto was a planet!
Old 03-30-2010, 09:37 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Other than the affair/concerted effort by the Right to destroy him, Clinton was probably the best President we've had since Truman. Reagan was and is completely ridiculously overrated, Johnson led us into Vietnam so he loses major points, JFK gave a good speech and did little else, Eisenhower played golf...but Truman did a ton of good:

1. Didn't nuke N. Korea or China
2. Saved W. Europe with the Marshall Plan while avoiding WWIII with his containment policy of the Soviets.
3. Ended WWII decisively and set us up as a Super Power as a result...probably saved at least 1 million American lives and Tens of millions of Japanese with that decision.

Oh and Bush Sr was probably #2 after Clinton in that time period. He basically got screwed by a temporarily poor economy and Ross Perot.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 03-30-2010, 09:40 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

I think it was the 'read my lips' thing that killed him.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:57 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
I think it was the 'read my lips' thing that killed him.
Well yeah...the weak economy forced him to raise taxes...that plus the "read my lips" thing crushed him. Even so, without Perot, Bush Sr wins easily. The breakdown on exit polling was even but consider that Perot AND Clinton both focused on ripping Bush extensively during the campaign. He basically got attacked on all sides.

Its ashame as Bush Sr was a fairly good president who probably would have done well with another term and we might have an actual viable moderate wing to the GOP at this point had that happened. His loss pushed the GOP further to the Right and gave us the Contract with America and more Rightwingyness which led to the bitter partisanship of the later 90s which led to our current situation.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 03-30-2010, 10:17 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Its ashame as Bush Sr was a fairly good president who probably would have done well with another term and we might have an actual viable moderate wing to the GOP at this point had that happened. His loss pushed the GOP further to the Right and gave us the Contract with America and more Rightwingyness which led to the bitter partisanship of the later 90s which led to our current situation.
Well, the bitter partisanship was fueled mostly by Monica. Sad, that we cared that much. But we did.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:21 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
Well, the bitter partisanship was fueled mostly by Monica. Sad, that we cared that much. But we did.
You really dont think that was just an excuse? Like all the other efforts they made (like Whitewater, Gennifer Flowers, etc)

It wasn't moral outrage over it, it was just another tool used to attack and destroy him...even though he was fairly centrist in his beliefs. He sure as hell wasn't a Kennedy Liberal.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:30 PM
Hero of the Horn

Oh, it was definitely an excuse - I mean, the conservatives were digging into every nook and cranny to find something to dent Clinton's popularity - but it drew a lot of people into the frenzy that were otherwise apathetic, and it added a great deal of emotional ammunition to the bitter partisanship.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:13 PM
Hero of the Horn

Ivhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Ivhon Send a message via Yahoo to Ivhon

Can't really pin Viet Nam on just one guy. Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson all have some responsibility.

Agree on Bush Sr. I liked the guy.

I hated Clinton at the time...I was young and stupid enough to buy the blowjob propaganda...but damn he was a good President. GOP is still bitter about the Nixon impeachment and I think it will be a given that any time they have an opportunity to impeach a democratic president they will.

Proud owner of the first post on TL's VBulletin forum (sorry...I had ta )

Greeter Emeritus
Old 03-31-2010, 12:21 AM
Hero of the Horn

Firseal has much to be proud ofFirseal has much to be proud ofFirseal has much to be proud ofFirseal has much to be proud ofFirseal has much to be proud ofFirseal has much to be proud ofFirseal has much to be proud ofFirseal has much to be proud ofFirseal has much to be proud ofFirseal has much to be proud ofFirseal has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Firseal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivhon View Post
Can't really pin Viet Nam on just one guy. Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson all have some responsibility.

Agree on Bush Sr. I liked the guy.

I hated Clinton at the time...I was young and stupid enough to buy the blowjob propaganda...but damn he was a good President. GOP is still bitter about the Nixon impeachment and I think it will be a given that any time they have an opportunity to impeach a democratic president they will.
Personal lives, professional lives.

Clinton could have personally slept with every single person in the White House, wouldn't have changed the job he did. Which was good. Don't know about great, but he beats out every other President we've had in office since I was born - with the possible exception of Bush Sr., who in hindsight was okay if not stellar, and Obama, where the jury is still out. I couldn't care less about what Bill did with his free time.

It distresses me how few Americans share that sentiment. Especially considering how a lot of those same Americans will be amused at the JFK hijinks, and shrug when one points out that early presidents had their mistresses in the same fricken' neighborhood so they'd be convienent. It is a historical double standard, and it continues to make us a laughingstock at least once a month, judging by the scandal sheets.

It seems Clinton's sin isn't that he got the rod of office shined, it is that he did so in a time and place that made him an easy target for the same bitter, cynical political acts that are ripping at the higher echeleons of the government even today. On both sides, in case any Democrat wants to crow. Oh, and Clinton had the nerve to pick a girl who was... less than attractive, inside and out.

Oh, yeah, and he ly- I mean- bent the truth to crying about his personal life when he was dragged before a court and asked on national television (and in front of his wife, whom even those who like her are afraid of) about the thing. Yeah. I would have mentally redefined what 'sexual relations' means and said, 'No Nookie' too.

As to Vietnam, add a bunch of French, Russian, and Vietnamese names there. That was a cock-up that took an international committee to plan.

"You don't have to convince me you have a point. You have to convince me you have a viable one."

"A candle at noon means nothing
A candle at midnight, everything."
Old 03-31-2010, 03:20 AM
Hero of the Horn

Local friend:

Can't argue with that.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:26 AM
Hero of the Horn

tworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant future

lol

What I suspect she's talking about is that the WITHHOLDING rates were lowered, when the actual tax rate wasn't. I remember that outraged complaint when the tax tables were adjusted. Some people are starting to discover that they owe money (not necessarily a lot) for 2009, when they are used to getting a small refund.

I was just reading a pretty good website that shows the tax rates for 2009, along with some explanations of the reason the amounts seem to change constantly :P Apparently there's a gang of numbers that have been mandated since the late 1980's to change with inflation. That's why the personal exemption and standard deduction grow a bit each year, among lots of others.

I've been googling for about 45 minutes now, looking for an actual list of tax CUTS proposed or enacted by President Obama, and the only thing I've been able to find is the stimulus package, which changed the tax tables (with no mention of changing the actual TAX) and created a number of tax "credits" which, it appears, ends up as federal handouts to people who already don't pay any tax at all, but who are now able to get "refunds."

Any actual lowering of the tax paid by people is due to that "inflation indexing" that is explained by that website I linked, and which has been part of the IRS tax code since the late 1980's - and is not, therefore, anything Obama can claim personal credit for, sorry.

Terez - you got a link for your statement that he lowered taxes for anyone making less than $200,000 a year? I've been looking...

As an aside - I'm not anti-Obama. I'm not PRO-Obama, either. But I'm getting a little concerned about some of the numbers I've been finding lately. He promised to "cut the deficit in half by 2013." Uhm... By doing, what, exactly?

P.S. Is there ANY way (that WORKS) to change fonts in a post? I'm reallllllly tired of this one :P

Old 03-31-2010, 07:21 AM
Hero of the Horn

(Some income caps are lower):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America...or_individuals

What's wrong with the font?
Old 03-31-2010, 07:26 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

From the link Terez gave:
Quote:
$1.7 billion: for deduction of sales tax from car purchases, not interest payments phased out for incomes above $250,000.
If, with an income below $250,000, you buy a $1.7 billion car, then you might have your priorities a bit skewed, I think.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:47 AM
Inbred, Ugly, and Drunk on Corn Liquor

Sei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworiverswoman View Post
lol

What I suspect she's talking about is that the WITHHOLDING rates were lowered, when the actual tax rate wasn't. I remember that outraged complaint when the tax tables were adjusted. Some people are starting to discover that they owe money (not necessarily a lot) for 2009, when they are used to getting a small refund.

I was just reading a pretty good website that shows the tax rates for 2009, along with some explanations of the reason the amounts seem to change constantly :P Apparently there's a gang of numbers that have been mandated since the late 1980's to change with inflation. That's why the personal exemption and standard deduction grow a bit each year, among lots of others.

I've been googling for about 45 minutes now, looking for an actual list of tax CUTS proposed or enacted by President Obama, and the only thing I've been able to find is the stimulus package, which changed the tax tables (with no mention of changing the actual TAX) and created a number of tax "credits" which, it appears, ends up as federal handouts to people who already don't pay any tax at all, but who are now able to get "refunds."

Any actual lowering of the tax paid by people is due to that "inflation indexing" that is explained by that website I linked, and which has been part of the IRS tax code since the late 1980's - and is not, therefore, anything Obama can claim personal credit for, sorry.

Terez - you got a link for your statement that he lowered taxes for anyone making less than $200,000 a year? I've been looking...

As an aside - I'm not anti-Obama. I'm not PRO-Obama, either. But I'm getting a little concerned about some of the numbers I've been finding lately. He promised to "cut the deficit in half by 2013." Uhm... By doing, what, exactly?

P.S. Is there ANY way (that WORKS) to change fonts in a post? I'm reallllllly tired of this one :P

This is why I said in a earlier post that my deductions on my paychecks went down so I got an extra $30 a pay period, but at the end of the year, I actually owed more. The change in the tables screwed me up...probably screwed everybody up. it's just that most people do the standard loan to the gov't with their tax money and then get it back with no interst at tax time, so they didn't notice that they got less this year.

www.buckeyestation.com look at it, love it, share it with your friends!
Old 03-31-2010, 07:52 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sei'taer View Post
This is why I said in a earlier post that my deductions on my paychecks went down so I got an extra $30 a pay period, but at the end of the year, I actually owed more. The change in the tables screwed me up...probably screwed everybody up. it's just that most people do the standard loan to the gov't with their tax money and then get it back with no interst at tax time, so they didn't notice that they got less this year.
But it actually IS a tax break when you look at it. You're no longer giving Uncle Sam an interest free loan with your money. So it gives you more money paycheck to paycheck...I won't complain about that.

Granted I owed $400 this year as a result of that and that spiffy $250 advance for Disabled Vets (as well as a significant pay raise halfway through the year that screwed me up) but I probably appreciated that extra $20 a pay period at the time.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:30 AM
Inbred, Ugly, and Drunk on Corn Liquor

Sei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
But it actually IS a tax break when you look at it. You're no longer giving Uncle Sam an interest free loan with your money. So it gives you more money paycheck to paycheck...I won't complain about that.

Granted I owed $400 this year as a result of that and that spiffy $250 advance for Disabled Vets (as well as a significant pay raise halfway through the year that screwed me up) but I probably appreciated that extra $20 a pay period at the time.
I don't give Uncle Sam any of my money, he takes it from me. Anybody who gets a refund is giving a tax free loan to the gov't.( yes, that's just to poke you in the eye you tax loving liberal schlub)

Seriously, the fact is, at the end of the year, I still owed on money that was supposed to be a tax break...$268.88 to be exact. I'm curious to see how much my taxes go up when the bush cuts run out since I make a lot more money now than I did then.

www.buckeyestation.com look at it, love it, share it with your friends!
Old 03-31-2010, 05:38 PM
Hero of the Horn

Thanks for the link, Terez, but it actually doesn't apply to "everyone" making less than $200,000. It doesn't apply to me at all, for instance.

"Payroll tax credit" - well, yes and no. Yes, I got the extra cash per paycheck, but as I said, this has ZERO effect on the actual tax RATE I owe for 2009, only the amount withheld. NOT really a tax cut.

"AMT floor increase" - doesn't apply

"Child Tax Credit" - doesn't apply (no kids)

"College Credit" - doesn't apply (no college)

"Homebuyer Credit" - doesn't apply

"Unemployment Compensation exclusion" - doesn't apply

"Earned Income Tax Credit" - doesn't apply

"Home Energy Credit" - doesn't apply

"Sales Tax from Car Purchase" - doesn't apply

So... line by line, nothing there but the first one affects me, and most people will be affected by maybe one, two or at most, three of those fixes. I'm happy for them.

I'm not saying the Tax Cuts are a bad thing. The people who DO qualify will be pretty happy about them. But they don't quite make it for "everyone."

Old 03-31-2010, 09:03 PM
Hero of the Horn

Firseal has much to be proud ofFirseal has much to be proud ofFirseal has much to be proud ofFirseal has much to be proud ofFirseal has much to be proud ofFirseal has much to be proud ofFirseal has much to be proud ofFirseal has much to be proud ofFirseal has much to be proud ofFirseal has much to be proud ofFirseal has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Firseal

Quote:
lol

Actually, Towiro, he did some other things. Only they are obscure. Insomuch that the IRS had to send me a letter saying I missed a deduction that was new (and grouped in with the weirdest small print you ever did see) basically telling me that I was getting five hundred back I wouldn't have otherwise gotten.

So, I dunno about your taxes - but mine? Mine are lower. Ironic, since I am one willing to pay more.

"You don't have to convince me you have a point. You have to convince me you have a viable one."

"A candle at noon means nothing
A candle at midnight, everything."
Old 03-31-2010, 09:47 PM
Elder

One Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to all

Quote:
I wish I could upload tables and charts and stuff... maybe a screenshot? Meh, too much trouble. HOWEVER...

Please go to
this page and download the worksheet of historical data. I'm not savvy enough to know if there's an actual distinction between the phrase "National Debt" and "Debt Held by the Public" which is the name of the last column on the first sheet of the Excel file I downloaded. However, here are the $$ amounts (in billions) for 1990 to 2009:

P.S. to OAG -- you keep remarking how ignorant the article writer is for quoting numbers that don't match the survey - particularly that 31.5% figure. However, I can't find any supporting information on the 31.5 number, but the article writer's numbers come right from the Congressional Budget Office's report that I'm linking you to. So the error (if there is one) is actually in the survey-taker's numbers. Not the article writer. Oddly enough, the CORRECT number supports his point far better than that unsupported 31.5%
Your numbers on Public Debt correct. However, as I pointed before Total National Debt = Public Debt + Intra-Government Holdings. The National Debt went up every year under Clinton, thus no surplus. I know some people don't agree with this, but that's how the US Treasury tracks national debt.

As to your second point, I have only implied that he is ignorant as to the question asked in the survey and even agreed with Terez, that yes he answers the question correctly based on his interpretation. The surveyors obviously meant something else when asking the question, otherwise their answer would not be what it is. The whole point of the matter is, as even the article suggests, the question can be interpreted a number of ways. Without knowing the intent of the surveyors the survey amounts to pretty much nothing.