art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - Non Wot Discussion Boards > Archived: Non WoT Related Discussion 09/09 - 9/10
User Name
Password

Old 03-30-2010, 02:40 PM
Hero of the Horn

Brita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond repute
Default I know how the world will end in 2012

Quote:
GENEVA (AFP) - Scientists at the world's biggest atom smasher on Tuesday started colliding particles at record energy levels, opening a new era in the quest for the universe's deepest secrets.

The European Organisation for Nuclear Research (CERN) said it had unleashed the unprecedented bursts of energy on the third attempt, as beams of protons thrust around the 27-kilometre (16.8-mile) accelerator collided at close to the speed of light.

"This is physics in the making, the beginning of a new era, we have collisions at 7 TeV (teralectronvolts)," said Paola Catapano, a CERN scientist and spokeswoman, referring to the record energy levels achieved.

CERN Director General Rolf Heuer could barely contain his excitement by video conference from Japan: "It is a fantastic moment for science."

Within an hour, physicists from dozens of countries around the world were marvelling at their initial observations, rendered graphically as colourful bursts of energy.

"What we saw within the detector was really a firework, a lot of energy, something completely different from what we have seen until now," said Fabiola Gianotti, spokeswoman for one of the biggest parts of the experiment.

The success came after a faltering start at the giant 3.9 billion euro (5.2 billion dollar) machine under the Franco-Swiss border near Geneva, which is aimed at unravelling some of the outstanding secrets of the universe.

But collisions among the 20 billion protons emerged in the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at 1:06 pm (1106 GMT), creating powerful but microscopic bursts of energy mimicking conditions close to the Big Bang that created the universe.

"We're within a billionth of a second of the Big Bang," CERN spokesman James Gillies told AFP.
Cheers and applause erupted in separate control rooms as the detectors recorded the collisions of sub atomic particles on computer screen graphs.

"We're certainly going to do the same thing several times over the coming week and hundreds of times over the year," said Steve Myers, CERN's Director for Accelerators and Technology.

Myers had likened the attempt to firing needles from either side of the Atlantic and getting them to collide half way, while the particles sped around the ring more than 5,000 times a second.

The new stage, dubbed "First Physics", marks only the beginning of an initial 18- to 24-month series of billions of such collisions.

Scientists around the world will sift through and analyse huge quantities of data on a giant computer network, searching for evidence of a theorised missing link called the Higgs Boson, commonly called the "God Particle".

"Internationally we sent out data at the rate of one DVD every two seconds," CERN computing chief David Foster said after Tuesday's first steps, illustrating the vast volume of data generated by the atom smasher.

Physicist Despiona Hatzifotiadu said much of the observation of new phenomena would rely on number crunching.

"It will give us a clue of how we were created in the beginning."

The experiment also aims to shed light on "dark matter" and subsequently "dark energy", invisible matter or forces that are thought to account together for some 96 percent of the cosmos.

At this stage the LHC is still running on only partial power. It is designed to run collisions at twice the energy -- 14 TeV, equivalent to 99.99 percent of the speed of light.

CERN is aiming to cross that threshold with the giant, cryogenically-cooled machine, which straddles the French-Swiss border near Geneva, after 2011.
At full power the detectors in cathedral sized chambers should capture some 600 million collisions every second among trillions of protons racing around the LHC 11,245 times a second.

The decades-long attempt by CERN to observe and understand mysterious forces has inspired in recent years the fictional Hollywood blockbuster "Angels and Demons".

The venture has also attracted sceptics who claim that the organisation is tampering with forces that might suck the world into a black hole.
I am joking!.....well 95% joking....I am not sure replicating the Big Bang is a good idea...

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. ― Anthony Bourdain
Old 03-30-2010, 02:52 PM
Elder

One Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to all

I was reading that this morning and start thinking, what if it is a Wheel and we continually set off the Big Bang ourselves?
Old 03-30-2010, 02:53 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

That's one theory...a very good one actually. I'm banking on this one personally:

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 03-30-2010, 02:59 PM
Hero of the Horn

Ivhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Ivhon Send a message via Yahoo to Ivhon

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Armed Gimp View Post
I was reading that this morning and start thinking, what if it is a Wheel and we continually set off the Big Bang ourselves?
Well...for one thing, God becomes a more challenging concept to defend.

Really though. The thing that gets lost in all of the doomsday talk about particle colliders is that we cannot BEGIN to apply the energy necessary to recreate the Big Bang itself. Sky will not fall. No black holes. No new universii. Just a lot of squiggly lines on a photo plate, some orgasmic physics nerds and the rest of us shrugging our shoulders and getting back to the arguments about how the government should/should not be run.

Proud owner of the first post on TL's VBulletin forum (sorry...I had ta )

Greeter Emeritus
Old 03-30-2010, 03:01 PM
Hero of the Horn

Ivhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Ivhon Send a message via Yahoo to Ivhon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
That's one theory...a very good one actually. I'm banking on this one personally:

Ironically, I was discussing this just the other day with the missus. In my mind, the Palin/Buchanan ticket IS the most credible doomsday scenario (not that it is credible at all). Revolves around the Chinese and particularly the Russians following US precedent on pre-emptive strikes to protect national security.

Proud owner of the first post on TL's VBulletin forum (sorry...I had ta )

Greeter Emeritus
Old 03-30-2010, 03:08 PM
Hero of the Horn

Brita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivhon View Post
The thing that gets lost in all of the doomsday talk about particle colliders is that we cannot BEGIN to apply the energy necessary to recreate the Big Bang itself. Sky will not fall. No black holes. No new universii. Just a lot of squiggly lines on a photo plate, some orgasmic physics nerds and the rest of us shrugging our shoulders and getting back to the arguments about how the government should/should not be run.
I know right. It's like saying if you split the nucleus of an atom into two smaller fragments with a neutron that something dangerous and terrible could happen. That's just silly talk.

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. ― Anthony Bourdain
Old 03-30-2010, 03:13 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brita View Post
I know right. It's like saying if you split the nucleus of an atom into two smaller fragments with a neutron that something dangerous and terrible could happen. That's just silly talk.
Especially when there are far more real dangers out there...

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 03-30-2010, 05:05 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Ironically, I was discussing this just the other day with the missus. In my mind, the Palin/Buchanan ticket IS the most credible doomsday scenario (not that it is credible at all). Revolves around the Chinese and particularly the Russians following US precedent on pre-emptive strikes to protect national security.
Michelle Bachmann. Not Buchanan.

Makes me wish we had neg rep, so I could hook Dav up for making me think about it.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:14 PM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

it's ok, someone's is already on it.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:11 PM
Elder

dominominic has a brilliant futuredominominic has a brilliant futuredominominic has a brilliant futuredominominic has a brilliant futuredominominic has a brilliant futuredominominic has a brilliant futuredominominic has a brilliant futuredominominic has a brilliant futuredominominic has a brilliant futuredominominic has a brilliant futuredominominic has a brilliant future

Quote:
universii.
I like it.

-Ted Danson
Old 03-30-2010, 06:19 PM
Elder

One Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowbaneX View Post
Thats awesome.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:47 PM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

and to help the people at reddit sent him some tools to help.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:39 PM
Hero of the Horn

DahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to DahLliA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowbaneX View Post
feel so much safer now

"'Profound... huh.' Temper was silent for a long moment, studying the cobbles of the alley mouth. And then he lifted his helmed head, faced Shadowthrone, and said, 'Fuck off.'"
Old 03-31-2010, 07:26 PM
Hero of the Horn

Matoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of light

My physics professor is one of the scientists at the LHC in Geneva.

Best. Prof. Ever.

Even if he does leave for Geneva once a month and we have to deal with a shitty TA.

Oh, and seriously...no worries about causing death and destruction on massive scale from the LHC. There is so much more that would be more productive to worry about.

EDIT: Actually, when we mentioned this kind of doomsday talk and asked what he thought of it, he started laughing...and couldn't stop for 5 minutes or so. Us students just kinda looked at each other like "o__O".

[Gawyn] probably pops his collar. - Kivo
Mat's hat is a Darkfriend. - Daekyras

Last edited by Matoyak; 03-31-2010 at 07:29 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:30 PM
Hero of the Horn

Matoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of light

Oh, and:
http://hasthelargehadroncolliderdest...eworldyet.com/

[Gawyn] probably pops his collar. - Kivo
Mat's hat is a Darkfriend. - Daekyras
Old 04-01-2010, 01:55 AM
Hero of the Horn

Belazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Belazamon

I'd say it's about a fifty-fifty chance that the LHC will end up destroying the world.

The guy in this interview explains it better than I can.

No one cares, no one sympathizes
You just stand around and play synthesizers