art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - Non Wot Discussion Boards > Archived: Non WoT Related Discussion 09/09 - 9/10
User Name
Password

Old 03-30-2010, 03:26 PM
Elder

Basel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant future
Default BEER

Favorites? Pairings?

I love seasonals. That way you get quality beer but a change every few months. In Huntsville, we have a brewery called Olde Towne that makes a pumpkin ale that is a home run IMHO. Great with any holiday food of course or all by its yummy self. Fall is definitely my favorite time.

Other yumminess...

Traquair House Ale
Horn Dog Barleywine
Sam Adams Imperial White is very tasty, but it'll sneak up on you. Not too crazy about their other imperials...

Favorite (current combo)- Steak and sauteed mushrooms with any stout...Sam Smith's Oatmeal stout is right tasty...

Unfortunately I don't cook much, so it's a take out of some variety once in a blue moon when the mac n cheese budget allows. The beer is also a rare treat.

A good, relatively cheap standby is the venerable Guinness (also relatively low in calories for a dark beer)
Old 03-30-2010, 03:47 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Guinness is God's gift to the Irish...don't ever bash it.

Sam Smith's Oatmeal stout is excellent. I'm a big fan of Murphy's Stout personally. Beamish is alright, nothing special.

Young's Double Chocolate Stout is pretty good. For something lighter, I'm a big fan of Boddingtons.

Rasputin Imperial Russian Stout is pretty good.

Fat Tire is excellent as is several brews by Pyramid. Yuengling on tap is underated...not good out of the bottle though.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 03-30-2010, 03:56 PM
Elder

One Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to all

Top 3:

Three Floyds Darklord
Cigar City 110k+OT Batch 2 RIS
a year aged Unibroue Trois Pistole

My local fav's up here in northeast Ohio:

Hoppin' Frog B.O.R.I.S the Crusher (picking up some D.O.R.I.S. the Destroyer this weekend)
Great Lakes Blackout Stout
Great Lakes Glockenspiel

Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout is what an oatmeal stout should be.

I am probably pushing 400 different beers I have tried so far. I could go on for hours.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:21 PM
Elder

One Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to all

Guinness, is alright. The 250th Anniversary they put out last year was pretty good I though.

I wanted to get a bottle of Rasputin Anniversary Bourbon Barrel Aged, but it was pretty damn pricey. $20 a 22 ounce, so I passed on it, which I mildly regret now.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:27 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Armed Gimp View Post
Guinness, is alright. The 250th Anniversary they put out last year was pretty good I though.

I wanted to get a bottle of Rasputin Anniversary Bourbon Barrel Aged, but it was pretty damn pricey. $20 a 22 ounce, so I passed on it, which I mildly regret now.
Communist! Guinness on tap is perfection itself.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 03-30-2010, 04:29 PM
Elder

Basel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant future

Never will bash the Guinness...good stuff and pretty too when poured.

Never had the Dark Lord, I will bear the children of someone who will bring me some! Seriously. I got money (sometimes).

We got some guys here that carpool and get a room and all that shit for Dark Lord Day, if I had the money I'd hop in that van. Heard nothing but awesome things about it.

Trois Pistole was one of the first beers I drove out of state to get. Prior to the gourmet beer law being passed last year, we used to do 30 min. road trips to TN for beer.

Only locally brewed stuff I've had is all southern...Olde Towne of course, Good People (in Birmingham), Lazy Magnolia, Terrapin, etc.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:30 PM
Ancient

Ozymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to all

I'm a big fan of Imperial Stouts, and just about any Unibreu
Old 03-30-2010, 04:40 PM
Elder

Basel, this may be your lucky day.

I happen to be going to Darklord Day this year and maybe able to make a trade with you. Not sure yet how much Darklord I will be able to pick up but I should be able to set a bottle aside. Let me see what is available down there that I can't get a hold of up here.

@Dav, Guinness on tap is far superior to Guinness Draught in either can or bottle form.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:45 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Armed Gimp View Post
Basel, this may be your lucky day.

I happen to be going to Darklord Day this year and maybe able to make a trade with you. Not sure yet how much Darklord I will be able to pick up but I should be able to set a bottle aside. Let me see what is available down there that I can't get a hold of up here.

@Dav, Guinness on tap is far superior to Guinness Draught in either can or bottle form.
It goes:

1. Guinness on tap (perfection)
2. Guinness in 4 pack cans (quite tasty)
3. Guinness in bottle (just not that good unfortunately)

Old 03-30-2010, 04:47 PM
Elder

OAG...I love you.
Elder

In a totally manly way of course...
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basel Gill View Post
Favorites? Pairings?
My favorite pairing:

Old 03-30-2010, 04:53 PM
Elder

reTaardad is a jewel in the roughreTaardad is a jewel in the roughreTaardad is a jewel in the roughreTaardad is a jewel in the rough
Default Top 3

Chimay Rouge (Belgian white)
Genesee Cream Ale (blond ale)
Victory HopDevil (IPA)

I'm not a big fan of dark beers, but I can enjoy a Spaten Optimator or Guiness every so often.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:55 PM
Hero of the Horn

Sarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to behold

*slaps T*

And as for beers: I don't drink a lot of beer, but if I do, I'll have a white beer (if available).
Never, ever, will I drink Heineken again.

the Grey Viper, the Lord of Forsaken Roads, the Pink Sunset
Old 03-30-2010, 05:16 PM
Ancient

Zanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basel Gill View Post
Prior to the gourmet beer law being passed last year, we used to do 30 min. road trips to TN for beer.

To get any beer is a 30 min road trip from here. So if i already have to drive 30 mins to get beer im gennerally get something stronger than beer. Though when i lived in Germany my favorite was Perminator.

All in all though i prefer Vodka to beer.
the only Z

fairy dust for sale 8.99 per vial

"YES!" - Cary Sedai

"Perhaps science,... [is] simply magic with delusions of lack of grandeur." -Peter David, Restoration

The Greatest Thread
Old 03-30-2010, 05:25 PM
Inbred, Ugly, and Drunk on Corn Liquor

Sei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond repute

so many beers, so little time.

My favs:

Speckled Hen
Hook and Ladder
Bass
Smithwicks

Hook and ladder is a good pizza beer, Speckled Hen is a good sipping beer, Bass is a good with sweets beer, Smithwicks is a good sipping beer and a good pizza beer. It also goes well with sour foods...don't ask me how I know that.

www.buckeyestation.com look at it, love it, share it with your friends!
Old 03-30-2010, 06:00 PM
Editor-in-Chief (with tenure)

Uno has disabled reputation

Hmm...I've got a pretty broad taste in beer, really, and like both the very hoppy and the dark and malty. One of my recent favourites is Hercules Double IPA from Great Divide Brewing Company, which is very hop-flavoured and strong (10 percent), but I also like any number of porters, bocks, and stouts. I'm not that fond of Pilsners, though, which is odd, given my background.

Old trusty standbys include several ales from Sierra Nevada Brewing Company, especially Bigfoot Barleywine Ale (when I can get it, as it's seasonal) and Torpedo Extra IPA, as well as Hop Devil from Victory Brewing Company. Theakston's Old Peculier is arguably one of the best beers I've ever had, but I can't seem to get hold of it around here any longer, which is a shame and probably a gross violation of basic human rights.

I do not drink white beers. Too tame for my taste.

Last edited by Uno; 03-30-2010 at 06:30 PM.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:08 PM
Elder

dominominic has a brilliant futuredominominic has a brilliant futuredominominic has a brilliant futuredominominic has a brilliant futuredominominic has a brilliant futuredominominic has a brilliant futuredominominic has a brilliant futuredominominic has a brilliant futuredominominic has a brilliant futuredominominic has a brilliant futuredominominic has a brilliant future

There's a pub in Dublin called The Porterhouse which brews its own beers and stouts.

Wrasslers XXXX is the strongest and best; really smokey and thick.

And you can't go wrong with Guinness either but out of a can? You're just asking for trouble there!

-Ted Danson
Old 03-30-2010, 06:16 PM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanguini View Post
Though when i lived in Germany my favorite was Perminator.
Celebrator is probably my favorite German beer. Pirminator seems like it is pretty hard to come by....hmmm...I know a guy stationed in Germany, I might have to try and pull some strings.

Actually Guinness in a can is better than a bottle because of the nitro in the can. Bottle can't duplicate it.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:24 PM
Elder

dominominic has a brilliant futuredominominic has a brilliant futuredominominic has a brilliant futuredominominic has a brilliant futuredominominic has a brilliant futuredominominic has a brilliant futuredominominic has a brilliant futuredominominic has a brilliant futuredominominic has a brilliant futuredominominic has a brilliant futuredominominic has a brilliant future

I've never seen anyone pour a good Guinness from a can.

And I'm Irish.

And for some reason it just tastes wrong from a can.

-Ted Danson