art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > General "Other" Books Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 08-29-2013, 06:06 AM
Elder

Figbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant future
Default Selling my Malazan books

Because I give up. I don't think I'm ever going to continue the series, which is a shame because I really wanted to love it, but honestly? I just can't be bothered with it.

So I've got the first...six books I think, maybe seven, in paperback. I thought it was worth a shot offering them on here before I tried ebay, don't let my negativity put you off if you want to try them. I can't imagine I'd get more than a couple of GBP per book on ebay plus shipping but if you're interested in any or all of them then feel free to make me an offer and I'll cost up shipping to whereever in the world you may be.

Book condition as follows:
Gardens of the Moon - read twice
Deadhouse Gates - read once, possibly twice
Memories of Ice - read once
House of Chains - read once, I think
- so all those have minor creasing to the spine, and no other wear because I'm nice to my books
Midnight Tides - new
The Bonehunters - new

Apparently I have the first six.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:32 AM
Hero of the Horn

Isabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Isabel

Haha, its very nice of you figs, but i think with shipping costs it will be cheaper to buy it btw, i already have it.
'Rand al'Thor, Nynaeve shrieked, that is the most outrageous thing I ever heard out of your mouth. The very idea of telling three women you love them! You are worse than a lecher. You apologize right now!'

Isabel sedai of the Green Ajah, Amyrlin of the Official Nynaeve Fanclub, first sister to Gennie Sedai of the Green Ajah, bonded to Camel, Wolf Gaidin, Jachthond and ghostrider.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:44 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

out of curiosity: what tipped the boat that you no longer want to read them?

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 09-02-2013, 11:24 AM
Elder

Figbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant future

Naturally this thread is aimed at people who don't already own the books Isa And I know especially in some European countries apparently new books can be very expensive to buy so it may be cheaper, who knows? Can't blame a girl for trying tho

And yks, I think I am one of those people who fall into his category of 'too stupid to understand his stories'. I find them quite confusing and difficult to follow, and frankly a bit boring, probably because I find them difficult to follow. If that makes me stupid then so be it. I also didn't particularly like any of the characters - I liked some of them a bit but as the books are spread out over such a large world I got fed up of waiting to revisit them again. The whole Chain of Dogs thing just seemed like a long boring walk through the desert although I did quite like the historian guy.

When I'm reading a book for the second time and still not getting anything out of it it's time to admit defeat. It annoys me a bit as like I said, I really wanted to like them and I hate failing with books, but I can't muster up the enthusiasm, and they're taking up too much space which I could fill in the blink of an eye with books I will read over and over again and enjoy every time. Because I'm stupid
Old 09-02-2013, 02:14 PM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figbiscuit View Post
Naturally this thread is aimed at people who don't already own the books Isa And I know especially in some European countries apparently new books can be very expensive to buy so it may be cheaper, who knows? Can't blame a girl for trying tho

And yks, I think I am one of those people who fall into his category of 'too stupid to understand his stories'. I find them quite confusing and difficult to follow, and frankly a bit boring, probably because I find them difficult to follow. If that makes me stupid then so be it. I also didn't particularly like any of the characters - I liked some of them a bit but as the books are spread out over such a large world I got fed up of waiting to revisit them again. The whole Chain of Dogs thing just seemed like a long boring walk through the desert although I did quite like the historian guy.

When I'm reading a book for the second time and still not getting anything out of it it's time to admit defeat. It annoys me a bit as like I said, I really wanted to like them and I hate failing with books, but I can't muster up the enthusiasm, and they're taking up too much space which I could fill in the blink of an eye with books I will read over and over again and enjoy every time. Because I'm stupid
Nah. Not supid, they're just not your cup of tea. Have you ever read Great Expectations or Moby Dick? Talk about boring... And still some people insist they're good books. Though last I checked, Dickens never called his readers stupid so that's one in his favour

Bonded to JWB

-- Winston Churchill
Old 09-03-2013, 08:31 AM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by yks 6nnetu hing View Post
Nah. Not supid, they're just not your cup of tea. Have you ever read Great Expectations or Moby Dick? Talk about boring... And still some people insist they're good books. Though last I checked, Dickens never called his readers stupid so that's one in his favour
Nothing quite like a veiled insult before you've even started the series to knock any enthusiasm you may otherwise be feeling

And Moby Dick is one of the few books I ditched without finishing. I'm not scared of a classic, but my god.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:16 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figbiscuit View Post
Nothing quite like a veiled insult before you've even started the series to knock any enthusiasm you may otherwise be feeling

And Moby Dick is one of the few books I ditched without finishing. I'm not scared of a classic, but my god.
it wasn't that veiled

Yeah, it really depends. I very much enjoy Dumas, I like Shakespeare, I like the Decameron, I liked More's Utopia, I liked Macchiavelli's Il Principe, I like Plato better than Socrates and I think Sartre was an idiot of the highest magnitude. I thought Anna Karenina might have done with a few scenes cut out but overall was quite good; and Dostojevski's Crime and Punishment was depressing but not boring. Jane Eyre I liked a lot (though I thought it had some credibility issues), Wuthering Heights I liked even more because if a writer brings in ghosts within the first 20 pages then a certain suspension of veracity occurs and you can read the book as if it's Fantasy. but Dickens... oh dear gods of literature: there's a very good reason why writers nowadays don't get paid per word, and his name was Charles Dickens. It may be blasphemy to some people but I also don't particularly care for Jane Austen's works, I just don't see the funny in them.

Bonded to JWB

-- Winston Churchill
Old 09-03-2013, 10:35 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

I really like Moby Dick...but despise the Malazan books. I simply like seafaring books so the pages upon pages of nautical info and whaling history don't phase me I guess.

Quote:
I thought Anna Karenina might have done with a few scenes cut out but overall was quite good; and Dostojevski's Crime and Punishment was depressing but not boring. Jane Eyre I liked a lot (though I thought it had some credibility issues), Wuthering Heights I liked even more
I loved Anna Karenina and Crime and Punishment but did not care for Jane Eyre or Wuthering Heights. My SO loves Jane Austen and rereads them all the time...I dont see the appeal personally.

Dickens should have been drawn/quartered for the crimes against humanity his works have committed against generations of school children forced to read his garbage. Also, if I have to see another remake of that stupid Christmas story...

And then, let's move on to Hemingway...I really wanted to like Hemingway but

~shudder~

Just go kill yourself already...oh right.

Another book that is pure garbage: Catcher in the freaking Rye...dude, we get it, you're a whiny emo beyotch, yes, life is just so hard, wahhhh!!!! 300 pages of whiny teenage angst is not enjoyable.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 09-03-2013, 04:13 PM
Hero of the Horn

SauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to SauceyBlueConfetti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Another book that is pure garbage: Catcher in the freaking Rye...dude, we get it, you're a whiny emo beyotch, yes, life is just so hard, wahhhh!!!! 300 pages of whiny teenage angst is not enjoyable.
There is a bio coming out (maybe already?) about Salinger. The man was a frickin' pedophile. He carried on relationships with teenage girls on a regular basis when he was 30 and older.

I hated his books and never understood the "ooooh, sooo good" attitude in high school English classes.
Yeah. Murderous Saucey. My superhero name
I am Detroit. You REALLY wanna call me wimpy?
Haphazardly Spell & Fact Checked Since June 2001
Old 09-03-2013, 04:16 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SauceyBlueConfetti View Post
There is a bio coming out (maybe already?) about Salinger. The man was a frickin' pedophile. He carried on relationships with teenage girls on a regular basis when he was 30 and older.

I hated his books and never understood the "ooooh, sooo good" attitude in high school English classes.
I never did either...and that new fact doesn't shock me...couldn't stand that book.

My guess one why it was so well liked is that it justifies that whiny, emo self-centered attitude that so many teenagers have so it's just so cool.

Kind of like idiots that read Atlas Shrugged and think its a legimate philosophy to base ones life upon...Or people that take most of Heinlein's books seriously.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 09-03-2013, 06:25 PM
Editor-in-Chief (with tenure)

Uno has disabled reputation

It strikes me as somewhat unethical of you to try to sell--or even give away--those books to an innocent third party.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:26 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uno View Post
It strikes me as somewhat unethical of you to try to sell--or even give away--those books to an innocent third party.
That's a good point.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:36 PM
Editor-in-Chief (with tenure)

Uno has disabled reputation

Quote:
That's a good point.
Unless the ad is "free kindling," I suppose. Does Erikson's smug sense of self-importance burn well? Let's find out.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:40 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
I really like Moby Dick...but despise the Malazan books. I simply like seafaring books so the pages upon pages of nautical info and whaling history don't phase me I guess.

I loved Anna Karenina and Crime and Punishment but did not care for Jane Eyre or Wuthering Heights. My SO loves Jane Austen and rereads them all the time...I dont see the appeal personally.
Austen and the Bronte sisters were revolutionary in their day and age, there's no doubt about that. However, if there's social commentary or day-topical jokes, then most of the time I have to try quite hard to get the point; and I'm a historian. Jane Eyre was... I liked the story and the writing, I did NOT like the ending, with the magical tree that came out of nowhere. Like I said, Wuthering Heights gets a pass on that because there were ghosts quite early on and the mysterious element is sort of built into the book from the get-go. of Austen, admittedly I haven't read everything; I read Emma, which I thought was much too long and boring; and I read Pride and Prejudice which I thought was a fun love story but didn't have much depth to the characters.

Quote:
And then, let's move on to Hemingway...I really wanted to like Hemingway but

~shudder~

Just go kill yourself already...oh right.
Have you read Remarque? now, HE is good. Same genre and about the same time of writing too, but gritty and tough and without the incessant complaining.

Quote:
meh. the way it was explained ot us in HS, it was revolutionary because of all the curse-words in it and the smoking and drinking; which at the time it was written were forbidden to depict in books. I think in that sense it falls in the same category as the Picutre of Dorian Gray, which is a godawful book, but important to literary history because it deals with things that were illegal and, more importantly, immoral at the time. It's a bit strange though, because I've read The Importance of Being Earnest and I quite liked that; so it's not like I think Wilde was a crappy writer... it's just that Dorian Gray was a crappy book.

Bonded to JWB

-- Winston Churchill
Old 09-05-2013, 10:58 AM
Elder

Quote:
YES! This. I just read this book for the first time a couple of weeks ago and I was HUGELY disappointed. It's been on my list for ages as everyone always wangs on about it being fantastic and revolutionary and all that crap, well, it totally passed me by. In the end I thought it was one of those books in which nothing much happened until the end which was going to be massive, and it wasn't even that. I can see why it was the kind of book they made you study in school.

On a side note, has anyone else ever noticed that most of the books they made you read in school were awful? We are a community of readers, so I know I'm not alone in never being far from a book as I was growing up, but I always struggled so much with the required reading books. We did Lord of the Flies, and I HATED it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uno View Post
*looks furtive*

I'm all for freedom of choice, just because I don't like something doesn't mean someone else won't want to try them. If you lot weren't all over this dissing them like mad anyway And that's my official line which I'm sticking to *nods*
Old 09-05-2013, 11:00 AM
Elder

Quote:
meh. the way it was explained ot us in HS, it was revolutionary because of all the curse-words in it and the smoking and drinking; which at the time it was written were forbidden to depict in books. I think in that sense it falls in the same category as the Picutre of Dorian Gray, which is a godawful book, but important to literary history because it deals with things that were illegal and, more importantly, immoral at the time. It's a bit strange though, because I've read The Importance of Being Earnest and I quite liked that; so it's not like I think Wilde was a crappy writer... it's just that Dorian Gray was a crappy book.
That sounds like the kind of thing they say in school when they're trying to get you interested in a crap book And he could have at least tried to give it an ending.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:10 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Could not:
Quote:
The wind rose high and free, to soar in an open sky with no clouds. It passed over a broken landscape scattered with corpses not yet buried. A landscape covered, at the same time, with celebrations. It tickled the branches of trees that had finally begun to put forth buds. The wind blew southward, through knotted forests, over shimmering plains and toward lands unexplored. This wind, it was not the ending. There are no endings, and never will be endings, to the turning of the Dorian of Gray.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:46 AM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Could not:
I meant Catcher in the Rye, my bad for terrible quoting.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:06 PM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

If you'd said that in time, then I could have finished with "... never will be endings, to the Catching of the Rye". Would've been better, I think.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:20 PM
Elder

Ieyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

Absolutely love Great Expectations.

Cant stand Malazan.