art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Non WoT Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 11-21-2015, 02:22 AM
Elder

Sukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to behold

The first two restaurants that were hit, they are on the same block as the apartment building where I rented a room during the summer of 2006. That was my old neighborhood. This whole thing is so weird for me.

Charlie Hebdo is not so uncharacteristic of French people in general. 'Off-color' doesn't mean the same in France as it does in a lot of other places. French people are used to just saying and writing what they want. Hurt feelings? That's not really a thing in France. After 9-11, it didn't take long for Europeans to start making jokes about it. I've never heard anyone in the U.S. make a joke about 9-11. Ever. It doesn't surprise me that Charlie Hebdo would publish something like this.
Old 11-22-2015, 11:47 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukoto View Post
The first two restaurants that were hit, they are on the same block as the apartment building where I rented a room during the summer of 2006. That was my old neighborhood. This whole thing is so weird for me.

Charlie Hebdo is not so uncharacteristic of French people in general. 'Off-color' doesn't mean the same in France as it does in a lot of other places. French people are used to just saying and writing what they want. Hurt feelings? That's not really a thing in France. After 9-11, it didn't take long for Europeans to start making jokes about it. I've never heard anyone in the U.S. make a joke about 9-11. Ever. It doesn't surprise me that Charlie Hebdo would publish something like this.
Yeah...the French mentality in general is pretty awesome. I love the French, France and their entire view on life.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 11-22-2015, 11:49 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brita View Post
That's me. I hate spouting off on Facebook about politics or religion, but after much hesitation I joined the fray. I just felt that I needed to add my voice. But tbh, it is discouraging to see so much fear, misinformation and selfishness around this issue.
Yeah, that's why I'm not on Facebook anymore...I got sick of listening to people I otherwise like spout off with the most awful viewpoints ever. Its easier to love my family, friends, etc without knowing their wacko viewpoints.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 11-22-2015, 11:58 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Yeah, that's why I'm not on Facebook anymore...I got sick of listening to people I otherwise like spout off with the most awful viewpoints ever. Its easier to love my family, friends, etc without knowing their wacko viewpoints.
Couldn't you pick family and such without wacko viewpoints?
Seems to me that you planned your current (re-)incarnation rather badly. Should've taken Facebook into account, you know.
Old 11-22-2015, 01:44 PM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Couldn't you pick family and such without wacko viewpoints?
Seems to me that you planned your current (re-)incarnation rather badly. Should've taken Facebook into account, you know.
It's the preincarnation party. You get so drunk because it's your last chance for close to two decades and the next thing you know is all those last minute formalities should have been done in a clearer mind and you should have opted for remembering the past lives even though it meant you'd have to suffer the rest of the hangover.
Lord Captain Commander of Singing Chipmunks
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 11-23-2015, 02:04 AM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Despite having a number of friends and family members currently in the military or retired military, I haven't seen anything actually against Muslims. I hesitate to put "yet" because I want to think better of them. At the same time, I have to wonder about some of them.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:45 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
I'm sure they feel the same about me. Well, some of them. Others (like my mom) have actually been shamed into something approaching sanity.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:25 AM
Elder

Daekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
I'm sure they feel the same about me. Well, some of them. Others (like my mom) have actually been shamed into something approaching sanity.
I have a facebook account that I never use. On the very infrequent times I do log on- to see pics of the baby etc- most of the people on it are posting inane stuff. Or linking to funny videos, the kinda stuff that would have filled forwarded emails about ten years ago.

Do many people use it to spout vitriol and hatred/extreme views??

He just got carried away a bit this time, probably as a result of his marriage-gonzothegreat

Son of Nazbaque, Lord of Fire
Old 11-23-2015, 09:55 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekyras View Post
I have a facebook account that I never use. On the very infrequent times I do log on- to see pics of the baby etc- most of the people on it are posting inane stuff. Or linking to funny videos, the kinda stuff that would have filled forwarded emails about ten years ago.

Do many people use it to spout vitriol and hatred/extreme views??
yes. I have cousin who's lived in Germany for more than a decade, and she's posting stuff like "go back home"... and I find myself thinking: how are *you* different from *them*? But, on the other hand, I've also found out that my other cousin (um, how's it called in English - my mother's brother's daughter's daughter) who's 13 is displaying impressive maturity and reasoning skills. And, her English is pretty good.

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 11-23-2015, 10:07 AM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yks 6nnetu hing View Post
yes. I have cousin who's lived in Germany for more than a decade, and she's posting stuff like "go back home"... and I find myself thinking: how are *you* different from *them*? But, on the other hand, I've also found out that my other cousin (um, how's it called in English - my mother's brother's daughter's daughter) who's 13 is displaying impressive maturity and reasoning skills. And, her English is pretty good.
Your uncle's daughter is your cousin and her daughter is your cousin once removed. You are also her cousin once removed as you are her mother's cousin. In a sense uncles, aunts, nephews and nieces would be siblings once removed if such a term were used. A grandparent's cousin is a cousin twice removed.
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 11-23-2015, 10:54 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

And if someone is banned from a messageboard, then he is a poster once removed.
If you get banned from Twitter, does that mean that you're a Twat?
Old 11-23-2015, 11:00 AM
Elder

Daekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazbaque View Post
Your uncle's daughter is your cousin and her daughter is your cousin once removed. You are also her cousin once removed as you are her mother's cousin. In a sense uncles, aunts, nephews and nieces would be siblings once removed if such a term were used. A grandparent's cousin is a cousin twice removed.
We call the relationship yks describes "2nd cousin".

Or as the people in Mayo say- "fair game".

Its like our Alabama. Or Latvia.

He just got carried away a bit this time, probably as a result of his marriage-gonzothegreat

Old 11-23-2015, 11:26 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
We call the relationship yks describes "2nd cousin".

Or as the people in Mayo say- "fair game".

Its like our Alabama. Or Latvia.
I thought a second cousin is a child of a parent's cousin. You share greatgrandparents but not grandparents. Is it different for Irish or is one of us just confused?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
And if someone is banned from a messageboard, then he is a poster once removed.
If you get banned from Twitter, does that mean that you're a Twat?
I think that's a tit.
Master of Nazgul Kitchen

Last edited by Nazbaque; 11-23-2015 at 11:28 AM.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:44 AM
Hero of the Horn

Here's a handy reference chart:

Old 11-23-2015, 01:22 PM
Elder

Quote:
Here's a handy reference chart:

That backs up Naz and is very helpful.

But, colloquially, in ireland 2nd cousin and 1st cousins once removed are reversed.

To put it in simple terms- 2nd cousins is considered a closer relation than 1st cousin once removed.

2nd cousins are very far out relations in that list. Great grandchild to great grand child.

Old 11-24-2015, 01:57 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That backs up Naz and is very helpful.

But, colloquially, in ireland 2nd cousin and 1st cousins once removed are reversed.

To put it in simple terms- 2nd cousins is considered a closer relation than 1st cousin once removed.

2nd cousins are very far out relations in that list. Great grandchild to great grand child.
English is weird. In Estonian there's a distinct word for the brother of your mother vs the brother of your father. Or the sister of your mother vs the sister of your mother. Albeit, almost everyone uses the mother-relative words when they mean generally the sibling of your parent. And so it's easy from there, it may be a mouthful but I can actually say "my mother's brother's daughter's daughter" and it will make sense and everyone knows who I'm talking about. It's weird but in this one very specific instance Estonian which has no genders for nouns, adjectives, verbs or even pronouns is more gendered and specific than all Indo-European languages I know.

On a related (ha. ha.) topic, when you want to say you're related to someone but it's too long to explain how, you say they're your "vanaema lehma lellepoeg" (grandmother's cow's father's brother's son)

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 11-24-2015, 08:13 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
it may be a mouthful but I can actually say "my mother's brother's daughter's daughter"
Or as a Habsburg would say, "Hey sexy, how YOU doin'?"

Old 11-24-2015, 08:27 AM
Elder

Quote:
Or as a Habsburg would say, "Hey sexy, how YOU doin'?"
I refuse to look things up so i have to ask- Habsburg, as in Austrian nobility???

Old 11-24-2015, 08:37 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
I refuse to look things up so i have to ask- Habsburg, as in Austrian nobility???
Obviously. After all, the Spanish branch would've used Spanish, not English.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:43 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Austrian/Spanish/Low Countries (they inherited Burgundy for the most part too)...a royal family renowned for their desire to "keep it all in the family" so to speak...even more so than other royal/nobles of their time period.

Led to all sorts of genetic issues and the extinction of both major male lines by the mid-1700s...although the family of course survived through their female line up until the present day...the last pretender to the Austrian throne just died a few years back. I believe he had children as well so the line is still around though he (Otto Habsburg) did renounce all claims he had to any noble/royal titles, etc as part of his conditions to live in Austria IIRC.

Its been a while since I looked at any of that so some of the details might be off. Feel free to correct me, yks (or any other historians).