art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Book 12: The Gathering Storm
User Name
Password

Old 12-30-2009, 02:57 PM
Elder

Daekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond repute
Default Favourites

In the non-wot discussion today Davian mentioned his two favourite characters in the books. That made me think about the series as a whole and go over a few things in my mind. So this is just a thread where I would like people to answer the following:

1. Favourite Book in Series:
2. Least Favourite Book in series:
3. Favourite main Character:
4. Least Favourite main Character:
5. Favourite minor Character:
6. Least Favourite minor Character:
7. Favourite/most shocking moment..

If you want to say why, please do. I always enjoy hearing other peoples opinions of the things I love...

I apologise if this is spamming or has been done to death before...

He just got carried away a bit this time, probably as a result of his marriage-gonzothegreat

Son of Nazbaque, Lord of Fire
Old 12-30-2009, 04:00 PM
Youngling

wolframbohr2 is just really nicewolframbohr2 is just really nicewolframbohr2 is just really nicewolframbohr2 is just really nice

1. Which ever one I am reading
2. Which ever ones I am not reading
3. Which ever one I am reading
4. Which ever one I am not reading
5. Which ever one I just read

Greedo shot first.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:35 PM
Elder

Bane Darkwulf is on a distinguished road

1. Favourite Book in Series: The Gathering Storm, because everything is tarting to wrap up.

2. Least Favourite Book in series:Crossroads of Twilight, because of Elayne's bath chapter.

3. Favourite main Character:Mat, Tuon, Perrin

4. Least Favourite main Character:Elayne

5. Favourite minor Character:Hurin

6. Least Favourite minor Character:Wiremon

7. Favourite/most shocking moment..When Tuon completes the marriage ceremony with Mat.
Dovie'ande se tovya sagain.
THE M'Hael of the TCA (take that PD )
Sa souvraya niende misain ye.
Donkey of Theoryland.
I'm Kung Fu, Bitches!!!
“You’re in America now, Our idea of diplomacy is showing up with a gun in one hand and a sandwich in the other and asking which you’d prefer.” Harry Dresden, Turncoat
Old 12-30-2009, 04:43 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

(1) Lord of Chaos - though I thought that this book was moving slightly slowly until Min's arrival with the embassy in Caemlyn. Still, from Min's reunion with the Dragon through Dumai's Wells, some of the best moments in the series.

(2) Crossroads of Twilight - the dullest book in the series, probably due to the fact that I can't stand Perrin and Faile...

(3) Male = Mat ; Female = Moiraine & Min (tie)

(4)Male = Perrin (he shoul have been cannon fodder) ; Female = Egwene (she was slightly less annoying than usual in The Gathering Storm, but she still is much in need of humility... though I suppose she pairs well with that other useless schmuck- Gawyn)

(5) Male = Ingtar ; Female = Verin (the two good bad guys)

(6) Male = Gawyn (shouldn't this jerk be equated with Gawain, and if so, why is it that while seemingly every decent knight in Le Morte d'Arthur kicked that jerk's butt, but here Gawyn is an unstoppable (except by Mat) superswordsman... here's hoping that someone's defeats and hopefully kills him before the end) ; Female = Faile (yes she is minor, and frankly why couldn't the Shaido have just killed her rather than taken her captive...)

(7) (tie) Dumai's Wells (I loved it when Taim told those haughty so-called "servants" to kneel or they would be knelt) & Moiraine's duel with Lanfear + the reading of her letter to Rand (why couldn't more of the Aes Sedai have been as awesome as Moiraine and Verin...)
Old 12-30-2009, 05:31 PM
Youngling

epic is an unknown quantity at this point

1. Favourite Book in Series: The Gathering Storm,

2. Least Favourite Book in series:Crossroads of Twilight

3. Favourite main Character: Male: Mat, Female: Tuon

4. Least Favourite main Character: Egwene, Elayne,

5. Favourite minor Character: Lan, Thom

6. Least Favourite minor Character: Berelain

7. Favourite/most shocking moment: Not shocking, but the Rhuidean scene was AWESOME
Old 12-30-2009, 06:46 PM
Elder

reTaardad is a jewel in the roughreTaardad is a jewel in the roughreTaardad is a jewel in the roughreTaardad is a jewel in the rough

1. Favorite Book: Shadow Rising; Rand learning about the Power, Perrin kicking ass, Mat getting his memories, and we get to see the Age of Legends. Great book.

2. Least Favorite Book: Crossroads of Twilight; duh, it's boring as hell.

3. Favorite Main Character: Mat; he's constantly underestimated and ignored by people "better" than him, but is surprisingly sharp and intelligent, not to mention he can outstrategize anyone on the battle field.

4. Least Favorite Main Character: Elayne; reading Elayne's parts makes me bored out of my mind. I think that's why I enjoyed TGS so much.

5. Favorite Minor Character: Rhuarc; BAMF.

6. Least Favorite Minor Character: Morgase/Maighdin; she's been floating around now for 7 books with everyone thinking she's dead, it's getting old.

7. Favorite/Most Shocking Moment: Verin's big reveal. Maybe everyone else saw it coming, but I'd convinced myself early on that Verin's slip in The Great Hunt was some loophole in the Oaths. Boy, I was wrong.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:26 PM
Youngling

wolframbohr2 is just really nicewolframbohr2 is just really nicewolframbohr2 is just really nicewolframbohr2 is just really nice

1. Favourite Book in Series: The Shadow Rising, the 1st 3 books were like a prolog, the story realy starts here, love it.

2. Least Favourite Book in series: The Eye of the World. I read the series all the way through before a new book comes out, and once I finish the new book, and then again when I am bored. This book is such a chore for me to get through, based on the other books.

3. Favourite main Character: Hard to say, leaning more towards Mat.

4. Least Favourite main Character: Rand, reminds be too much of myself.

5. Favourite minor Character: Moiraine/Verin

6. Least Favourite minor Character: Thom. Don't know why. He is written well and has good plot stuff but for some reason he just does not resonate with me.

7. Favourite/most shocking moment: The boys taking their bath at the Lion and Stag. Need more guys bathing The battle for the Two Rivers. The women going on half ratons and fighting, the Tinkers strapping babys to them to flee into the woods. I wish I have 1 tenth of 1 percent of the courage they had.

Greedo shot first.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:56 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

1. Favourite Book in Series: tEotW, I love the first book...the Prologue is still the best written scene in all the books and it is such a great stand alone book.

2. Least Favourite Book in series: CoT...it should have been combined with KoD and its brutal to read...too much Elayne and Sea Folk crap.

3. Favourite main Character: Mat and Nynaeve

4. Least Favourite main Character: Elayne

5. Favourite minor Character: Ituralde

6. Least Favourite minor Character: Gawyn...he's stupid and annoying...

7. Favourite/most shocking moment.. Verin coming out of the closet. Totally shocked at that revelation...totally.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot

Last edited by Davian93; 12-30-2009 at 08:01 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:36 PM
Hero of the Horn

jason wolfbrother has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to jason wolfbrother Send a message via MSN to jason wolfbrother Send a message via Yahoo to jason wolfbrother

1. Favourite Book in Series: TGS and LoC tie with EotW a very very very close 2nd

2. Least Favourite Book in series: Don't have one. They all serve a purpose and continue the story

3. Favourite main Character: Rand and Moridin are tied

4. Least Favourite main Character: Mesaana

5. Favourite minor Character: Rhuarc and Lan

6. Least Favourite minor Character: Aram really got on my nerves.

7. Favourite/most shocking moment: Rand and Moridin holding that civil conversation in TGS, Mat kicking Galad's and Gawyn's butt in TDR.

Wash:"Things are about to get interesting"
Mal:"Define interesting..."
Wash:"Oh God! Oh God! We're all gonna die!?"

"If you are not living life on the edge, you are taking up too much space"
Old 12-31-2009, 12:20 AM
Elder

reTaardad is a jewel in the roughreTaardad is a jewel in the roughreTaardad is a jewel in the roughreTaardad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason wolfbrother View Post
7. Favourite/most shocking moment: Rand and Moridin holding that civil conversation in TGS
That was a truly awesome scene, it added depth to the relationship between Rand and Moridin. Ever since that scene in A Crown of Swords, when Moridin helped Rand defeat Sammael, I've been intrigued with Moridin. I like that RJ decided that the Dark One's leading minion was a philosopher instead of a warrior; it seems to imply that Moridin is more enlightened somehow, even if he is misguided.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:01 AM
Youngling

Kalli has a spectacular aura aboutKalli has a spectacular aura about

1. Favorite Book in Series: TGS, plot lines are starting to crescendo.

2. Least Favorite Book in series: The REALLY REALLY BORING ONE, Crossroads of Twilight

3. Favorite main Character: Mat, because I'd want to be drunk and lucky too.

4. Least Favorite main Character: Elayne,politicking and governing tactics do get to me. Flaming Aes Sedai...

5. Favorite minor Character: The Ashman with bells in is hair. (Jahir?)The always desribed has tinkling...
Trolloc 1: Whats that sound?
Trolloc 2: Is that a... a... a... Tink.... (death)
Trolloc 1: A tinkling.. yeah your rig (death)
Dead Trolloc: Damn that death sucked. I never liked music.

6. Least Favorite minor Character: Leleine and Romanda, seriously the Aes Sedai scheming crap again gosh...

7. Favorite/most shocking moment: Galad vs. Valada, I just really enjoy that fight scene even though I have no idea what the sword forms look like.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:57 AM
Hero of the Horn

WinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to WinespringBrother

1. Favourite Book in Series: TDR
2. Least Favourite Book in series:POD
3. Favourite main Characters: Perrin, Moiraine
4. Least Favourite main Character: Elayne
5. Favourite minor Character: Verin
6. Least Favourite minor Character: Elaida
7a. Favourite moment.. Taking of the Stone of Tear
7b. Most shocking moments.. Elaida beating up Egwene with the OP/Rand almost killing Min

"Oh, y'all [Theorylanders] are awesome with awesome sauce, but you ask a lot of tricky questions. I had to watch myself with you guys." - Maria

"I need to RAFO more things, I'm not being very Robert Jordan..." - Brandon
Old 12-31-2009, 10:02 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolframbohr2
The boys taking their bath at the Lion and Stag. Need more guys bathing The battle for the Two Rivers. The women going on half ratons and fighting, the Tinkers strapping babys to them to flee into the woods. I wish I have 1 tenth of 1 percent of the courage they had.
Even better than that extra special episode of Wheel of Time where Mat shows Rand his "ruby tipped dagger" in the haypile on the Camelyn Road?

That trip turned boys into men.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 12-31-2009, 11:02 AM
Elder

Daekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Even better than that extra special episode of Wheel of Time where Mat shows Rand his "ruby tipped dagger" in the haypile on the Camelyn Road? That trip turned boys into men.
I'm no (medical) doctor but if he's got a "ruby tip" to his dagger shouldn't he get to a hospital...
Ha, just remembered, he had several aes sedai help him with that dagger in tDR!

He just got carried away a bit this time, probably as a result of his marriage-gonzothegreat

Son of Nazbaque, Lord of Fire

Last edited by Daekyras; 12-31-2009 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-01-2010, 12:14 AM
Hero of the Horn

jason wolfbrother has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to jason wolfbrother Send a message via MSN to jason wolfbrother Send a message via Yahoo to jason wolfbrother

No wonder he was so upset when they tried to take it away from him

Wash:"Things are about to get interesting"
Mal:"Define interesting..."
Wash:"Oh God! Oh God! We're all gonna die!?"

"If you are not living life on the edge, you are taking up too much space"
Old 01-01-2010, 03:28 AM
Elder

AbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant future

1. Favorite Book in Series: Lord of Chaos (with the first three all tied for second place)

2. Least Favourite Book in series: Crossroads of Twilight

3. Favourite main Character: Mat

4. Least Favourite main Character: Elayne, and Egwene (pre-KoD, since she was kind of cool in her White Tower captive storyline)

5. Favourite minor Character: Tam (TGS anyone?)

6. Least Favourite minor Character: Sevanna/Suroth/Elaida (too one-dimensional and cartoonishly evil)

7. Favourite/most shocking moment: Lord of Chaos final scene (Rand escaping his box and stilling his captors, exploding Shaido, "kneel or you will be knelt"... the most powerful scene in the series), The Cleansing from Winter's Heart(great build-up, great writing, and the awesome image of giant ball of tar growing larger and hovering over an ancient city with walls of fire shooting out at incoming Forsaken as they enter)

"He can compress the most words into the smallest idea of any man I ever met."
— Abraham Lincoln

Draw a crazy picture, write a nutty poem. Sing a mumble-gumble song, whistle through your comb. Do a loony-goony dance 'cross the kitchen floor. Put something silly in the world that ain't been there before.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:53 PM
Youngling

Rahvin571 is an unknown quantity at this point

1. Favorite Book in the Series: The Shadow Rising followed by The Gathering Storm then The Great Hunt. From Rand's death lightnings in the Stone to Rhuidean to al'Cair Dal, tSR is amazing. I don't think there's a single part of the book I don't like.

2. Least Favourite Book in series: As boring and Elayne-filled as Crossroads of Twilight was, I can't read The Eye of the World in whole anymore. For the most part it just seems too cliched.

3. Favourite main Character: Mat. Not question here - Mat is awesome. I mean, how great is it that he could fund a personal army by playing dice??

4. Least Favourite main Character: Elayne. She is so stupid it hurts. Nyneave makes for a close second - she has only done one thing I enjoyed reading in the span on 12 books (Sending Lan to World's End).

5. Favourite minor Character: I like Lan and Tam - Lan for his honor teachings to Rand (tGH scene where he tutors Rand what to say on the way to the Amyrlin is really cool) and Tam for his tGS chapter. Damn, I can't wait for ToM.

6. Least Favourite minor Character: Any of the Sea Folk.

7. Favourite/most shocking moment: Geez... there are so many.

i) The Death of Semirhage - That chapter is so many kinds of awesome I can't accurately describe it. I have never been so engrossed and awed while reading, and I've read a fair amount.
ii) Pillars of Rhuidean/Mat's Bargain - The entire Rhuidean chapters are so well done. I love the immersion we get from Rand's trips through history. The little trivia and the glimpses of the earlier world we get are stunning. And can you say General Mat?
iii) The Rescue of Rand - While I have never been able to get behind the mass of people who thinking the "Kneel or you will be knelt" are the best in the series, the whole end of LoC is eye-popping. Can you imagine watching the walls of the bubble raise and destructions which ensued?
Old 01-02-2010, 03:19 PM
Hero of the Horn

Jokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Jokeslayer

Winter's Heart or The Great Hunt. Been a while since I read WH though.

Crossroads of Twilight. I'm falling asleep just writing the title.

Perrin.

Pre-marriage Nynaeve, maybe. She's much improved since she started getting some.

Asmodean. Or Logain.

Valan Luca.

7. Favourite/most shocking moment:
The battle at Falme.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:57 PM
Youngling

padfoot89 will become famous soon enoughpadfoot89 will become famous soon enough

The Shadow Rising, The Dragon Reborn

The Crossroads of Twilight

Mat, Lews Therin, Moridin

Egwene, Elayne

Fain, Shaidar Haran, Thom, Olver

Most of the Aes Sedai

7. Favourite/most shocking moment:
Dumai's wells, Rand using TP, Rand balefiring the crap out of Rahvin.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:21 PM
Ancient

Kurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekyras View Post

1. Favourite Book in Series: Shadow Rising
2. Least Favourite Book in series: Path of Daggers
3. Favourite main Character: Egwene (Moiraine if she counts)
4. Least Favourite main Character: Mat
5. Favourite minor Character: Rhuarc
6. Least Favourite minor Character: Aram
7. Favourite/most shocking moment.. Nynaeve rousing the Malkieri