art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - Non Wot Discussion Boards > Archived: Non WoT Related Discussion 03/08 - 09/08
User Name
Password

View Poll Results: Have you read Malazan Book of the Fallen?
No, I haven't read it. 13 43.33%
I've started reading it but I can't get into it. 2 6.67%
I've made it to *whatever point in the series past book 1* but still am not sure if I like it. 1 3.33%
I have started reading it, and I like it, but I don't have much time for reading. 0 0%
I've read the whole thing (or close to it), and I still don't think it's great. 1 3.33%
I've read the whole thing (or close to it), and I think it's awesome, but I still like WoT better. 4 13.33%
I've read the whole thing (or close to it), and it's awesome, and even better than WoT. 9 30.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-09-2008, 03:15 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

I'd say it's probably the complexity of the story, along with the huge step away from genre stereotypes. That on top of the fact that it's a good story, of course.
Old 08-09-2008, 05:50 AM
Hero of the Horn

jason wolfbrother has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to jason wolfbrother Send a message via MSN to jason wolfbrother Send a message via Yahoo to jason wolfbrother

For me it is the sheer complexity of the world and how it works. There is so much going on and yet he does pull it all together and show hot it's all tied in and part of a bigger picture. Plus the great characters, and so many of them are just awe inspiring. And others just bring a smile to my face every time they appear "on stage" as it were. Kruppe, Tehol and Bugg, and Iskaral Pust to name a few specifically. Trying to follow Kruppe's train of thought, or Pust's external "internal" dialogue is nearly impossible to do straight-faced. And following any conversation between Bugg and Tehol is impossible to read without laughing out loud.

"Try to clean up around here."

"If I've got time."

Wash:"Things are about to get interesting"
Mal:"Define interesting..."
Wash:"Oh God! Oh God! We're all gonna die!?"

"If you are not living life on the edge, you are taking up too much space"
Old 08-09-2008, 05:53 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

You listed some of the funniest characters, but I'd definitely add Hellian to that list. She's a recent introduction, and a fairly minor character, but she cracks me up.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:08 AM
Elder

cottillion is on a distinguished road

The others have said it better then I so I really have very little to add.

He thought about that, too. “The Tiste Edur”
“Yes. I killed them.”
“You did?”
Bugg nodded, looked briefly away. “I am afraid I lost my temper.”
“Ah.”
The manservant looked back. “You don’t sound surprised.”
“I’m not. I’ve seen you step on cockroaches. You are ruthless.”
“Anyhting for a meal.”
Old 08-10-2008, 02:11 AM
Hero of the Horn

Frenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Frenzy Send a message via Yahoo to Frenzy

"For me it is the sheer complexity of the world and how it works. There is so much going on and yet he does pull it all together and show hot it's all tied in and part of a bigger picture"

if you say so, jwb. i just finished Memories of Ice, and i've yet to see it. The first book was annoying with it's emo vibe, but i liked how the main cliché character (the boy picked by the gods) did nothing but give the other characters something to move around, as opposed to the cliché of saving the world. That was original.

Second book introduced a few interesting characters, but it was more of the emo 'life sucks and is meaningless and it sucks but i'll keep going because i have nothing better to do' stuff. Coltaine was cool, but then again so is Lan. That character is pretty archetypical.

Third book was enjoyable, mostly because it was predictable. Everything was foreshadowed & telegraphed, and it wrapped up pretty neatly at the end. i could walk away from the series now and be satisfied.

Which concerns me, because the last two series i felt that way about mid-series really stank after that. (Rice's Vampire Chronicles should've ended with Queen of the Damned, and i never got past book 4 in Jack Whyte's Cameloud Chronicles.) So i haven't decided if i'm going to read book 4, or reread the first three, or just be done with it.

"How the hell do you Godwin a thread with CUCUMBERS!!?" -- Tru

"I love cucumber prawn... " -- Ivhon

"Have to catch me first. Scared shitless always outruns mad as hell." -- Sinistrum

"Some days I'm happy Frenzy doesn't live next door." -- Tamyrlin

"So Frenzy is a scientist then?" -- Davian
"Well duh. An Evil scientist. " -- Khoram
Old 08-10-2008, 02:40 AM
Hero of the Horn

Send a message via AIM to jason wolfbrother Send a message via MSN to jason wolfbrother Send a message via Yahoo to jason wolfbrother

Well you are right at that point where is starts to come together. Book 4 reintroduces some characters from Book 2 along with some new characters. It is complex and hard to follow but it is worth the struggle, imnsho The first time I picked up book 4 I almost put it back down. I was wondering just who in the hell is the guy? Whole 1st part of the book is about one character and his back story and you, or at least I didn't, don't figure out who he is until near the end of the 1st section. It is worth it Frenzy. If you honestly think it isn't after finishing book 6 or 7 then...~thinks really really hard~ I'll eat a FYR wing

Old 08-10-2008, 06:34 AM
Hero of the Horn

DahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to DahLliA

JWB pretty much summed up why I think MBotF is better than WoT. just something about the way Erikson can add so many characters and storylines and still have it make sense at the end of the book.

and book 4 almost put me off the first time I read it too. mostly because I wanted to read more about the remaining bridgeburners and paran. but after getting over that first bump I think book 4 is one of the best. and the story just gets better after that so it's well worth sticking to it

"'Profound... huh.' Temper was silent for a long moment, studying the cobbles of the alley mouth. And then he lifted his helmed head, faced Shadowthrone, and said, 'Fuck off.'"
Old 08-10-2008, 08:06 AM
Hero of the Horn

Isabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Isabel

In my opinion Erikson isn't better. I atleast don't care that much about the characters. You never get to know the characters. Plus every time you know one, he or she gets killed.
Besides that: all the time someone bigger comes on screen for another threat, that gets a bit boring.
'Rand al'Thor, Nynaeve shrieked, that is the most outrageous thing I ever heard out of your mouth. The very idea of telling three women you love them! You are worse than a lecher. You apologize right now!'

Isabel sedai of the Green Ajah, Amyrlin of the Official Nynaeve Fanclub, first sister to Gennie Sedai of the Green Ajah, bonded to Camel, Wolf Gaidin, Jachthond and ghostrider.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:37 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

I bought books 2 and 3 yesterday and I've almost finished book 1...so far so good though its still hard to follow.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 08-10-2008, 05:58 PM
Hero of the Horn

JSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to JSUCamel Send a message via MSN to JSUCamel Send a message via Yahoo to JSUCamel

It'll get better. I voted that I liked the Erikson better than RJ, but the only reason I can give is that I'm just enjoying the Malazan books immensely right now. It's been years since I've read through WoT and even then, I've read them so many times it's lost some of its wonder and mystery for me, while Erikson's world is so detailed and well done that I'm finding myself on the edge of my seat wondering what's going to happen next and how certain things work.

"Nice try, Jack!" - Robert Jordan (to Camel)
"Camel must be the coolest TLer ever, by now." -GLotD

A grilled cheese eaten more than five minutes later is just no good. -Crispin

Old 08-11-2008, 10:20 AM
Elder

caladanbrood will become famous soon enoughcaladanbrood will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to caladanbrood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabel
In my opinion Erikson isn't better. I atleast don't care that much about the characters. You never get to know the characters. Plus every time you know one, he or she gets killed.
Besides that: all the time someone bigger comes on screen for another threat, that gets a bit boring.
I care about the characters, though I can see why some people might not - but the storyline and worldbuilding is more important to me anyway
Old 08-11-2008, 10:35 AM
Hero of the Horn

My favorite thing about the characters is that they're, for the most part, not all that glamorous. They're not extraordinary people, and they're not beautiful, and their lives suck. That doesn't make it more realistic than WoT to me (though I'm sure many would disagree), but realistic in a rather different fashion.

And I can see (and respect) why Frenzy has gotten from this "life sucks" the "emo vibe" she mentioned, but I didn't see it that way. It's an accurate reflection, fantasy aside, of the struggles of real life. Life sucks, but we keep on trucking anyway, and we try to enjoy life for the pleasures of it, rather than giving up because we sometimes can't see the point of trying.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:24 PM
Hero of the Horn

DahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant future

just finished Toll the Hounds. and the ending simply left me stunned...

as for characters getting killed off. that's one of the many things that make MBotF so good. a good story needs tragedy IMO. as long as you don't go overboard like GRRM and kill everyone. I think Erikson has found the perfect balance there. enough characters you like get killed to bring the story "down to earth", but more than enough of them survive so you actually want to keep on reading

"'Profound... huh.' Temper was silent for a long moment, studying the cobbles of the alley mouth. And then he lifted his helmed head, faced Shadowthrone, and said, 'Fuck off.'"
Old 08-11-2008, 03:36 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahLliA
just finished Toll the Hounds. and the ending simply left me stunned...
Isn't it crazy, when you get to that point where the shit hits the fan, and you realize, "hey...there's 200 pages left!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahl
as for characters getting killed off. that's one of the many things that make MBotF so good. a good story needs tragedy IMO. as long as you don't go overboard like GRRM and kill everyone. I think Erikson has found the perfect balance there.
I agree with that 100%. He's about halfway between RJ and GRRM when it comes to killing off major characters.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:58 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez
Isn't it crazy, when you get to that point where the shit hits the fan, and you realize, "hey...there's 200 pages left!"
yeah. loved that. I read most of the 4th part in one go because I couldn't put the book down

Old 08-12-2008, 08:23 PM
Hero of the Horn

~still impatiently waiting for amazon.co.uk to send Toll of the Hounds and Return of the Crimson Guard~ ~

October I think

Old 08-13-2008, 05:42 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason wolfbrother
~still impatiently waiting for amazon.co.uk to send Toll of the Hounds and Return of the Crimson Guard~ ~
I gotta get return of the crimson guard too. and there's more of the bauchelain and korbal broach books than I knew

Old 08-13-2008, 05:45 AM
Hero of the Horn

Well, I think pretty much everyone's had a chance to vote and make their Erikson pitch/rant, and at least one person is already moving into the realm of changing his vote, so let's kill it for now and do it again in a year or so.