art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7652

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - Non Wot Discussion Boards > Archived: Non WoT Related Discussion 03/08 - 09/08
User Name
Password

Old 08-10-2008, 07:50 PM
Elder

cottillion is on a distinguished road
Default Skydiving

Well, I jumped out of a plane yesturday and I'm still alive! How many others here have made that big first step?

Old 08-10-2008, 07:57 PM
Hero of the Horn

SauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to SauceyBlueConfetti
Default FUN!!

I have always wanted to do it, but never had the chance at the right time/found the right person to go with me/had the cash all at the same time.

Someday!

Looks like you had a blast. Details please!!!
Yeah. Murderous Saucey. My superhero name
I am Detroit. You REALLY wanna call me wimpy?
Haphazardly Spell & Fact Checked Since June 2001
Old 08-10-2008, 08:13 PM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SauceyBlueConfetti
I have always wanted to do it, but never had the chance at the right time/found the right person to go with me/had the cash all at the same time.

Someday!

Looks like you had a blast. Details please!!!
Well, not sure what details your looking for but i'll try. I got there filled out paperwork for like 5 minutes then watched a 30 minute video. After that my instructor spent about 2 minutes explaining what I'd have to do when I got up there before we went and got suited up. After that we got in a little 4-5 person plane and slowly rose to 7,000 feet. I got strapped to the instructor and at about 10,000 feet they opened the door and the camera guy got out on the wing. We moved forward , put a leg on the wing and a couple seconds later we were tumbling through the air. We ended up freefalling for a bit at 122mph before finally pulling the parachute. We floated down over 5-6 minutes and he taught me how to control the chute. We ended up overshooting the landing zone by quite a bit due to change in wind conditions and landed in a field behind some random persons house.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:22 PM
Hero of the Horn

JSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to JSUCamel Send a message via MSN to JSUCamel Send a message via Yahoo to JSUCamel

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the epitome of mental illness: jumping out of a plane at 7000 feet.

"Nice try, Jack!" - Robert Jordan (to Camel)
"Camel must be the coolest TLer ever, by now." -GLotD

A grilled cheese eaten more than five minutes later is just no good. -Crispin

Old 08-10-2008, 08:39 PM
Hero of the Horn

DeiwosTheSkyGod is just really niceDeiwosTheSkyGod is just really niceDeiwosTheSkyGod is just really niceDeiwosTheSkyGod is just really niceDeiwosTheSkyGod is just really nice

I haven't yet, but my dad's gonna either do that or bungee jump when he turns 50 and I want to go with him. Awesome picture!
Old 08-10-2008, 09:43 PM
Inbred, Ugly, and Drunk on Corn Liquor

Sei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond repute

My stepdad retired from the army with several thousand jumps to his credit, plus the several hundred he did after he retired. He'd still be jumping if Mom would let him. I guess thats one of the perks of being an officer in the special forces (if you want to call it a perk) I always thought it was a little crazy. I would never do it. Funny thing about him is he won't get on the roof and clean the gutters because it's not high enough for a chute to save him if he falls...lol.

Pretty cool though. I'll look at all the pics you got, but I wouldn't be able to do it.

www.buckeyestation.com look at it, love it, share it with your friends!
Old 08-10-2008, 11:09 PM
Ancient

Ozymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to all

I have plans to go both bungee jumping and skydiving in September, and could not be more excited about it.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:24 PM
Hero of the Horn

Matoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of light

Heh. I'm afraid of heights (but love roller coasters and suchlike...as long as I'm strapped down to something that is solid and metal, I'm fine. Flying doesn't bother me) so I could never bungee jump or skydive.

Funny story. When I was about 6 months old my parents decided to go bungee jumping out of hot air balloons and leave me with my grandma. Well, during my stay at my grandma's, I learned to walk, (yes, I learned to walk pretty early...my doctors have said that's why I have large, flat feet...~shrug~) and I was always walking over to the phone, and dialing random crap. Apparently the first thing my grandma found me dialing though was the first part of the number to where my parents were staying (or so I'm told)

Apparently I also tried to walk into her fireplace a lot too...

EDIT - Also, which one is you? The one on top? (That's what I'm guessing, at least...since you said you were strapped onto the instructor, that makes me think of behind...though if the instructor wanted to control, he'd probably be in back...ick, I hurt my brain...)

[Gawyn] probably pops his collar. - Kivo
Mat's hat is a Darkfriend. - Daekyras

Last edited by Matoyak; 08-10-2008 at 11:29 PM.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:33 PM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matoyak
Heh. I'm afraid of heights (but love roller coasters and suchlike...as long as I'm strapped down to something that is solid and metal, I'm fine. Flying doesn't bother me) so I could never bungee jump or skydive.

Funny story. When I was about 6 months old my parents decided to go bungee jumping out of hot air balloons and leave me with my grandma. Well, during my stay at my grandma's, I learned to walk, (yes, I learned to walk pretty early...my doctors have said that's why I have large, flat feet...~shrug~) and I was always walking over to the phone, and dialing random crap. Apparently the first thing my grandma found me dialing though was the first part of the number to where my parents were staying (or so I'm told)

Apparently I also tried to walk into her fireplace a lot too...

EDIT - Also, which one is you? The one on top? (That's what I'm guessing, at least...since you said you were strapped onto the instructor, that makes me think of behind...though if the instructor wanted to control, he'd probably be in back...ick, I hurt my brain...)
I'm the one in front the instructor was strapped to my back.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:00 AM
Hero of the Horn

JSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to JSUCamel Send a message via MSN to JSUCamel Send a message via Yahoo to JSUCamel

I think you were strapped to the instructor's front.

"Nice try, Jack!" - Robert Jordan (to Camel)
"Camel must be the coolest TLer ever, by now." -GLotD

A grilled cheese eaten more than five minutes later is just no good. -Crispin

Old 08-11-2008, 12:05 AM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSUCamel
I think you were strapped to the instructor's front.
Very good point. If the straps broke things would go bad for me not him.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:45 AM
Hero of the Horn

Frenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Frenzy Send a message via Yahoo to Frenzy

So, Cottillion.... who got to pull the rope?

(i slay me)

"How the hell do you Godwin a thread with CUCUMBERS!!?" -- Tru

"I love cucumber prawn... " -- Ivhon

"Have to catch me first. Scared shitless always outruns mad as hell." -- Sinistrum

"Some days I'm happy Frenzy doesn't live next door." -- Tamyrlin

"So Frenzy is a scientist then?" -- Davian
"Well duh. An Evil scientist. " -- Khoram
Old 08-11-2008, 07:57 AM
Elder

irerancincpkc is just really niceirerancincpkc is just really niceirerancincpkc is just really niceirerancincpkc is just really niceirerancincpkc is just really nice

The worst part, for me, would be the small plane...

But it looked like fun!
Old 08-11-2008, 08:37 AM
Hero of the Horn

Ishara has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Ishara

That's AWEsome man!! What was the scariest part?

The very idea terrifies me, but I'm contemplating doing it with the bf for our 10 year anniversary...

Rand: You are an insensitive bastard!!!
Mat: And you ruined another hat!

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by lightening. -- Calvin

"Gee, I wish I could do magic! Maybe I'll try!" --SDog

Official Vixen of Theoryland and Theoryland Siren

Grain Goddess, the Rood Inverse, the Mad Glomper
Old 08-11-2008, 11:31 AM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishara
That's AWEsome man!! What was the scariest part?

The very idea terrifies me, but I'm contemplating doing it with the bf for our 10 year anniversary...
No real surprise, the scariest part was definatly the initial jump.

Funny story. I took a friend with me to watch while I jumped. I went up and he stood down by the landing strip where we were going to land. I also had a camera man named mark that got the pics and video. Right after we jumped a couple of the clubs people were on the ground pointing out things to me friend. It went like this:
"Ok theres the plane and theres your friend"
"....Wheres mark?"
"He's not gonna make it."
"Their not gonna make it!"
Then they both ran and quickly jumped in cars and sped off. He quickly found out they meant we weren't gonna make the landing zone but I can only imagine what ran through his head for a second or two.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:02 PM
Hero of the Horn

Sinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Sinistrum

It never ceases to amaze me why people would want to jump out of a perfectly good airplane. The only time I would ever skydive is if the plane was crashing and/or on fire

People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. - River Tam

Last edited by Sinistrum; 08-11-2008 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:11 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Your shoe's untied...thats the first thing I noticed about the photo.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 08-11-2008, 01:38 PM
Ancient

Cary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93
Your shoe's untied...thats the first thing I noticed about the photo.
LOL - me, too!

I have not skydived, yet. However I have bungee jumped and that was freaking awesome!
First-sister to Nazbaque, Great Lord of the Flame
Near-sister to Terez, Quotemistress
Lady of Chaos, official member of LoC, Big-sis to Rand & Myr...Woohoo!
Un-official adopted daughter of Pops'Taer, a.k.a. Cary'Taer
Cary Sedai, The first ever, Fairy of the TCA
Old 08-13-2008, 09:22 AM
Mistress of Novices

Zaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Zaela Sedai Send a message via MSN to Zaela Sedai Send a message via Yahoo to Zaela Sedai Send a message via Skype™ to Zaela Sedai

First thing I noticed was two men strapped to each other with rainbow stickers on their helmets. :P

Looks like a great time!!!!!

The One, the Original, the ONLY Z
Beware of impostors

In Brandon We Trust
This TL Siren is bonded to Pops, XX, DaiShan and DeiwosTheSkyGod. Allied with Seeker and Guarded by Hopper
General of the Western Border, Valkyrie of the Autumn Storm, Destined Fury
Old 08-13-2008, 10:49 AM
Hero of the Horn

Brita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottillion
Funny story. I took a friend with me to watch while I jumped. I went up and he stood down by the landing strip where we were going to land. I also had a camera man named mark that got the pics and video. Right after we jumped a couple of the clubs people were on the ground pointing out things to me friend. It went like this:
"Ok theres the plane and theres your friend"
"....Wheres mark?"
"He's not gonna make it."
"Their not gonna make it!"
Then they both ran and quickly jumped in cars and sped off. He quickly found out they meant we weren't gonna make the landing zone but I can only imagine what ran through his head for a second or two.
LOL! He must have been freaking out!

Congrats on the jump- are you going to go again? And was it as cool as you imagined it would be?

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. ― Anthony Bourdain