art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)


Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Book Tour: A Memory of Light
User Name
Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-05-2013, 01:02 PM
Terez's Avatar
Terez Terez is offline
Hero of the Horn
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Corn
Posts: 21,127
Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez
Default Birmingham signing

This was the last ever WoT book tour stop, and a lot of people came out. There were about 250 people there altogether. April and Chip were there as Cadsuane and Warder, along with some other JordanCon folk I don't know so well. Jeff and Kiley Daniel of Ta'veren Tees were also there, and Randy Word (a nice guy who goes to JordanCon) was there with his wife Ashley and his brother, Brandon. Brandon is also a nice guy and he friended me on Facebook after the signing, but then I started an argument with him about gun control (I couldn't help it!) and he unfriended me. (I'm sure this surprises no one.)

I brought my friend Dick for company since it was roughly a five-hour drive one way. I think I have mentioned him before; he and I have been friends for more than ten years, though I used to be closer to his brother whom I lived and worked with in Baton Rouge for about six months (along with Hoda, who actually made it to Elder at Theoryland but is probably remembered by few).

Dick and I didn't see each other for several years, and then I happened to go to his house one day (this was after RJ died) and I noticed ACOS on his coffee table. He was reading it for the first time, and he had no idea any of his friends had read it, so I told him and Hoda and I had read it and that I had more than read it (insert long explanation of Theoryland here). So between that and the fact that he told me he played Tetris Attack (the only video game I love), he and I started hanging out regularly. He finished the series in time to read TOM when it came out. Then he started reading Brandon's books, and has decided to name his as-yet-unborn son Kaladin, which resulted in a funny moment (paraphrased):

(Brandon is signing Dick's book which is addressed to Kaladin.)

Brandon Sanderson
(Says something appreciative.)

Terez
I told Peter about that, and he said "That's like the tenth Kaladin I've heard of." (Okay, so I exaggerated; I think he actually said fifth.)

Brandon Sanderson
*sighs* That sounds like the kind of thing Peter would say...

Terez
(to Dick) Yeah, Peter is not as unfailingly courteous as Brandon...

Brandon Sanderson
*hilarious smirk*

Terez
...which is why I like him.

***

There were no personalizations the first time through because they wanted to get Harriet out of there. I did manage to ask her a question, though (paraphrased):

Terez
What did RJ like to read (fiction or non-fiction) on the Civil War?

Harriet McDougal
He read non-fiction, no fiction.

Terez
Not even Gone With the Wind?

Harriet McDougal
No.

Terez
So nothing in particular?

Harriet McDougal
No, I can't remember anything in particular.

Terez
I know he liked Jane Austen from that general period...

Harriet McDougal
(big smile) Yes, he did.

The line was long, and she had someone else, so I had to leave it there. I didn't realize until later that Jane Austen died well before the Civil War began; I wasn't sure exactly when she lived.

The second time through I made sure I was last in line. There was one guy who tried to be last until I convinced him I had more questions than he did. He was asking stuff on behalf of his friend David who was ill and couldn't be there. He video-recorded it and asked Brandon to address David personally because it would 'make his world'.

Question
Robert Jordan...did he lay out all the war tactics for you, because he is a war historian, or was...

Brandon Sanderson
Actually, David, no he didn't; he didn't have an opportunity to do that. He indicated that it was supposed to be a big, long battle for the last book—basically all battle—but he didn't give us much of the tactics. There are a few things that he put in there, that he told us to do. But what we did is, we went to several experts that Harriet knows, and asked them for suggestions, and then we relied on Alan Romanczuk, who is part of Team Jordan, and we had him outline the battle tactics, which I then used to tell the story.

Question
Okay, good. Thank you. And another question:

When you got his notes, were they digitized or was it a big stack of papers?

Brandon Sanderson
It was both. I got them in digital form—the bulk of it was in digital form—but they had printed off about 200 pages of them for me, which were ones that were relevant specifically to the last book, which turned into three.

Question
Okay, and the final question is:

Are there any—and I'm sure you get this question a lot—are there any plans for any aspect of the Wheel of Time universe to keep going, maybe in another story?

Brandon Sanderson
No, we are not doing any more books. Robert Jordan specifically didn't want more books being written, so we feel it's best to both respect his wishes and stop while we're ahead. That doesn't preclude video games from being made, and so we perhaps may see films or video games or sort of things like that that will tell some of these other stories, but as for fiction, it is done. So, thank you for the questions, David, and thank you for reading.

Fan
A movie would be irritating, because it would just ruin it. They could never capture it.

***

Then Kiley had a question. She's very soft-spoken so I'm not sure I got it all down right.

Kiley
So how much, either consciously or unconsciously, do the diary entries from the Lord Ruler reflect the Rand-type characters?

Brandon Sanderson
That's the pitch to myself for Mistborn, years ago: "What if Rand failed, and decided to take over the world instead?" basically. It's more than that, though; it's, you know" "What if Frodo kept the ring? What if the hero from the monomyth failed, and instead became the tyrant?" And so, I consciously evoked that.

Kiley
So did you ever see in that through the end, so that Rand didn't go....like, this is really similar, ever?

Brandon Sanderson
Not specifically, but you know, I was basing the idea off of that, yeah.

Kiley
It was like, "This could be Rand's diary," you know.

***

At this point, Brandon started signing my books. I recorded the conversation while he was doing it, so from here on out it's transcribed. I always ask for something unique, but this time around bossman insisted the HCFFs should ask for a unique personalization—probably because Brandalization kind of decreases the value of signed books!—so Brandon took it as a matter of course. I asked for Zombie's infamous love pentagram.

Terez
....you have to draw a pentagram....and then, you know, you can start with Moiraine on one tip, and then just follow it around, right?

Brandon Sanderson
Uh-huh. Okay, yeah, that is...I do remember that. Okay. So.... (draws two lines) Can I even draw a pentagram?

Terez
Now, they go up to the middle...

Brandon Sanderson
Yeah, now they go up like this...

Terez
...right...

Brandon Sanderson
...like that, and then across.

Terez
(laughs) Yes. It's perfect.

Brandon Sanderson
And then Thom...

Terez
No, nonononono! Because, like, Moiraine connects to Thom here...

Brandon Sanderson
Oh, it goes like that! I see what it is...

Terez
Right, right. Yeah.

Brandon Sanderson
I see.

Terez
And then Thom connects to...

Brandon Sanderson
...to Morgase.

Terez
Right.

Jenn
Is this like the hook-up quadrilateral?

Terez
It's a love pentagram. (laughs)

Brandon Sanderson
Okay, and then Morgase is not going to be Tallanvor....

Terez
Gareth...

Brandon Sanderson
Morgase is going to be Gareth Bryne, and then Bryne is going to be Siuan....

Terez
And then...

Brandon Sanderson
Oh, Siuan and Moiraine, pillow-friends! Right, yeah....

Terez
...and then Siuan comes back to Moiraine! Yeah!

Brandon Sanderson
Yeah, yeah, okay.

Terez
It works perfectly.

Jenn
Yeah, the Wheel of Time is basically one big hook-up chain. (laughter)

Terez
Well, I thought this was special, cause it's like...it's not a love triangle; it's a love pentagram.

Jenn
Yep.

Brandon Sanderson
Yeah, okay. Again, sorry for my handwriting.

Terez
And then you have to draw a heart.

Brandon Sanderson
(draws heart and sparklies)



Terez
(laughs) That's great. Now for the questions!

Brandon Sanderson
Alright, now for the questions.

Terez
Alright.
You said that the balescreams in Knife of Dreams were because Demandred was balefiring whole cities...

Brandon Sanderson
I did not say that.

Terez
You did not say that.

Brandon Sanderson
No!

Terez
That was reported! (on a private Facebook group)

Brandon Sanderson
That was reported; that's not what I said.

Terez
What did you say then?

Brandon Sanderson
I told them...they said, "What caused these?" And I said, "Ah, that's very interesting. By the way, Demandred was balefiring whole cities.

Terez
But you didn't say that's what caused them. Okay.

Brandon Sanderson
Yes.

Terez
Good answer, because that gets rid of my next question. Okay.

Brandon Sanderson
Mmhmm. They asked about balefire and things like that, and it was...

Terez
...and they connected it...

Brandon Sanderson
...and I thought they might, but I specifically said, "BY THE WAY..." This is not....

Terez
(laughs) ...Well, we're recording now.

Brandon Sanderson
So there you go.

Terez
Okay, good.

Now, are Graendal's actions in Shara mentioned at all in "River of Souls"?

Brandon Sanderson
I don't think we talk about them.

Terez
I was just curious as to how that interacted... (crosstalk)

Brandon Sanderson
I mean, I considered...Yeah, it certainly helped with what he was doing.

Terez
Right, right.

Brandon Sanderson
But I mean...yeah. It's...

Terez
Because she totally didn't know he was there, so....

Brandon Sanderson
Yeah. It certainly helped, and if I had been able to go back, and do—which I wouldn't have done—but if, you can imagine, there's a very cool interaction there, where he's there, and she's doing stuff, and he's taking advantage of it, but she's not seeing him and things like that. Like, the whole Demandred In Shara thing is awesome, because there's like twelve books worth of coolness of him being the hero...

Terez
Because all this stuff is in the notes, right?

Brandon Sanderson
What's that? Oh, some of it is, not all of it.

Terez
Oh, well yeah, because I know you said you had to kind of....you know, extrapolate a little bit...

Brandon Sanderson
I had to extrapolate a lot of the Sharan culture and things, which is where "River of Souls" came from. At the end of the day, because I was extrapolating these things, that's what made them distracting from the main plotline, if that makes sense.

Terez
Mmm, yeah.

Brandon Sanderson
And so, a lot of what I was doing was like, it you know...all of Demandred's flunkies. Jim didn't name those; they're not in the notes...but I put them in because, you know, we have to evoke this entire two years of awesomeness....

Terez
Yeah, it can't just come out of nowhere, and be nothing.

Brandon Sanderson
Yeah, so there's that. But yeah, it was too much me, also.

Terez
Yeah...gotcha.

Okay, so, Grady has multiple children.... (pauses for confirmation)

Brandon Sanderson
(gets this gleefully smug look on his face that knocks about a quarter century off his age)

Terez
What is that look for? I mean, come on. You've been, like, dancing around the bush...(crosstalk)

Brandon Sanderson
I've dodged this one so well, Terez! (crosstalk)

Terez
...on this one for like two years, I'm not gonna let you dodge any more! Just tell me if he has multiple children.

Brandon Sanderson
(stubbornly reluctant) Grady. Has. Multiple. Children.

Terez
Thank you. (Someone is laughing, I don't know who.)

Was Luc a Darkfriend when he went to the Blight?

Brandon Sanderson
I'm going to have to MAFO this one, because this is one that I can never remember, and I've had to ask Maria like three times—the whole Luc thing—because I had it spelled out for me several times, but since Jim did a lot of the Luc scenes, I didn't need to remember it, if that makes sense. So go ahead and ask Maria. She's...there's a lot of stuff on that in there, and hopefully that'll end up in the encyclopedia, but there's a lot of cool stuff on Luc and Isam in the notes. It's one of the areas that isn't as sparse. But I can't remember. I want to say no, that neither of them were, but I can't remember when it happened, you know...

Terez
Well, I mean...Isam was a baby, you know?

Brandon Sanderson
Yeah, uh-huh. Yeah, and so....

Terez
So...I mean obviously he wasn't a Darkfriend when he went to the Blight...

Brandon Sanderson
Right, but he grew up on the streets....

Terez
Right, he grew up under that influence, right?

Brandon Sanderson
Yeah, it's like he was...always...or was he? And when did they...when they...I want to say that Luc wasn't, but you'll have to ask Maria.

Terez
Okay.

Was the Shadow able to track down or intercept any of Verin's letters after she died?

Brandon Sanderson
Um...(laughs)...

Terez
You can answer that vaguely if you want.

Brandon Sanderson
....(laughs, coughs)...I'm (ahem) really good at answering things vaguely, but I can say that at least one of them did not find its mark.

Terez
Okay. That's good.

Have we seen Nakomi in any other guise? Is she somebody we would know?

Brandon Sanderson
No, we haven't. Good question.

Terez
That's a good answer.

Brandon Sanderson
I can kill the Nakomi-Verin theory.

Terez
Yeah, well you already did that.

Brandon Sanderson
Yeah, okay.

Terez
Yeah. I pay attention, you know.

Brandon Sanderson
Mmmhmm.

Terez
(laughs)

Fain says that the thinning of reality around Shayol Ghul would make it easier for him to anchor himself there, and Dom wants to know if the proximity of the Tower of Ghenjei had anything to do with the fate of Aridhol.

Brandon Sanderson
I honestly don't know. That would make logical sense...

Terez
Yeah, it would...

Brandon Sanderson
But...we could look in the notes. That's one I suspect is not in there.

Terez
Okay.

Brandon Sanderson
But you can say there's a good chance that's the sort of thing that would make sense...

Terez
Yeah, okay.

Brandon Sanderson
Good question.

Terez
Um...did you notice...(in a louder voice)...has everybody standing around me read the book?

Brandon Sanderson
Okay, spoiler! Just warning you.

Terez
Spoilers! Okay, did you notice any good foreshadowings for Egwene's death aside from Guinevere and the Year of the Four Amyrlins?

Brandon Sanderson
Um...(laughs, looks at Jenn)....those are very good. I mean, it's mostly, you know, the Guinevere myth and things like that, but there's...(to Jenn)...there's others, aren't there?

Terez
The Year of the Four Amyrlins is the only, like, really nice one that I've latched on to, you know? Because it's like, she's talking about, "It's almost like now..." and it's like, "Everybody came to grief in the end...." And it's like...yeah.

Brandon Sanderson
Mmmhmm.

Terez
(laughs)

Um, was there any connection between Mat's luck and the dagger?

Brandon Sanderson
Um, not that I know of. Good question, but we can MAFO that one, but you can give the, "not that I know of". I'm still kind of...you know, the Mat's luck being beyond him being ta'veren, is one that's very interesting to me, because everything that I know says that his luck does extend beyond his ta'verenness, but...

Terez
Well, it's like his whole plotline seems kinda designed as like this revenge story for Manetheren against Aridhol, you know?

Brandon Sanderson
Yeah, uh-huh. Yep.

Terez
And, you know, he starts speaking the Old Tongue right before they go into Shadar Logoth; that's the first time he speaks it...

Brandon Sanderson
Uh-huh. Yep.

Terez
...you know, and then as soon as he wakes up from the Healing, he's got memories, he's got this luck, you know?

Brandon Sanderson
Yeah. Mmmhmm.

Terez
So...yeah.

Was Alanna captured in Tear?

Brandon Sanderson
No. She managed to get away from Tear.

Terez
Okay. Good answer. (crosstalk)

Brandon Sanderson
Good question.

Terez
What happened to her Warder, Ihvon?

Brandon Sanderson
Her Warder Ihvon um, met...

Terez
...(laughs)

Brandon Sanderson
It is not happy.

Terez
Unpleasant fate, okay.

About—if you can estimate—how many Aiel were in the Town?

Brandon Sanderson
Oh, boy. I think there is an estimate in the notes.

Terez
There is?

Brandon Sanderson
Yes, so ask Maria, and if I say it, I will get it wrong because Jim has an estimate of how many Sightblinders were going to be in the Last Battle.

Terez
Okay.

Brandon Sanderson
And that would include, you know, ones born there and ones captured, and...yeah.

Terez
The next one is something that somebody asked for me, on my behalf—before, but did Perrin bind his soul to the hammer? Or...

Brandon Sanderson
Did Perrin bind his soul to the hammer? That's an interesting question. Why are they asking this?

Terez
Because I asked before, was it Hopper? It's because of what Slayer said about his ability to step in and out....

Brandon Sanderson
Right, was based on having two souls in one body...

Terez
Yeah, and he said, "It's just like you," right?

Brandon Sanderson
Mmmhmm.

Terez
You know, so it has to be something.

Brandon Sanderson
Yeah, it's a good question. (with an air of finality) That's a very good question.

Terez
(sighs loudly) (people around laugh)

Brandon Sanderson
I would say...how about this: I would say the relationship between Perrin and Hopper is...part of the reason that...Hopper may not...have suffered as dire a fate...(crosstalk)

Terez
That's what I was hoping for...

Brandon Sanderson
...as wolves would normally suffer when killed where Hopper was killed. How about that?

Terez
Yeah, that's what I was hoping for, but your answer to the last one kind of drew me on the path of the hammer, which was somebody else's idea, right?

Brandon Sanderson
Mmmhmm.

Terez
But yeah. Good!

Brandon Sanderson
So there you go.

Terez
That makes me happy.

Were the Aes Sedai at the Silver Swan still there when Caemlyn was attacked?

Brandon Sanderson
I.....don't....know.

Terez
Don't know. Okay.

Why didn't the bond protect Bryne's dreams?

Brandon Sanderson
Why didn't the bond protect Bryne's dreams!

Terez
The Warder Bond...

Brandon Sanderson
Yes! Um....(pauses to think)

Terez
Is it an active thing?

Brandon Sanderson
What's that?

Terez
Is it an active thing, like...she has to....Moiraine kind of phrased it like it wasn't...

Brandon Sanderson
Yeah. No, no no.

Terez
...like, because of the bond, he's protected.

Brandon Sanderson
Yeah. (long pause) Why don't I MAFO this one so I don't say it wrong, because I had to go to Maria on this one.

Terez
Right. Yeah, okay.

Brandon Sanderson
...if that makes sense. And so, I will tell you wrong. I will MAFO it, because it's one I had to talk to her about. So we'll go back to the source of me being...or me working these things out in the first place.

Terez
Okay.

Brandon Sanderson
How many more do we have? I just got curious.

Terez
Just a few; just a few.

Brandon Sanderson
Okay.

Person behind Terez
Just a few! Like, 15 or 20...

Terez
Do you know about how many Aes Sedai are left after the Last Battle?

Brandon Sanderson
Um, Harriet said "many".

Terez
Many? (laughs) Yeah...

Brandon Sanderson
(laughs, coughs) Boy they lost a lot.

Terez
The name...how do you pronounce it? Is it no-tay, or no-tie?

Brandon Sanderson
Oh, it's...you pronounce the K.

Terez
Oh, you pronounce the K!

Brandon Sanderson
....according to Alan, who is the Old Tongue expert, who corrected me on it even though I named him.

Terez
So say it!

Brandon Sanderson
k'no-tie. But Alan can correct me, because Alan is the expert.

Terez
Does it have any mythological basis that you know of?

Brandon Sanderson
No, it does not that I know of, because that one, as most of the names—not all of them, but most of them that I named, because I named him—came from me writing something in English, and saying, "Alan, give me the Old Tongue."

Terez
Okay.

Brandon Sanderson
And so, there are times where he'll find something, and I'll be like, "Oh, that sounds like this! Let's use it. Oh, this sounds like this; let's use it." Most of the time, it's...he comes up with the direct translation.

Terez
Like, Shaisam, actually...

Brandon Sanderson
Yeah.

Terez
Yeah, I mean that's easy to figure out for us, right?

Brandon Sanderson
Yeah. And there are some where I say, "Let's find something that feels like this..." and then, you know, of course, Perrin's hammer, right?

Terez
Yeah.

Brandon Sanderson
That's one where you're like, you know, let's find an Old Tongue translation that works for what the mythological symbolism is.

Terez
And that works well. It's hard to pronounce though.

Brandon Sanderson
Yeah, it is a little hard to pronounce though.

Terez
Can you pronounce it?

Brandon Sanderson
MAH-HAHL-in-ear? Eh...ask Alan.

Terez
(laughs) Okay.

Alright, is Cadsuane's lesson to the Asha'man yet to come?

Brandon Sanderson
To the Asha'man? It is the same lesson that Rand learned, but they....they started to learn it.....

Terez
Yeah...

Brandon Sanderson
I would say that they have not completely learned it yet. Not until they have spent years...um...growing...

Terez
Well the distinction in Min's viewing is that none of them would like learning it from Cadsuane.

Brandon Sanderson
Yes. Mmmhmm.

Terez
Yeah, so that's where everybody gets a little bit confused.

Brandon Sanderson
Yeah.

Terez
But yeah, I got you.

Was the "innocent" foreshadowing in early The Great Hunt—that you mentioned on Twitter when you were doing your reread—do you remember that?

Brandon Sanderson
Yeah, I do remember it, and people have asked me this, and I can't remember what it was! (crosstalk)

Terez
And you don't remember what it was. And then there's the one in The Dragon Reborn Chapter 27.

Brandon Sanderson
Yeah. Oh, I can probably remember that one.

Terez
Can I email you about those two?

Brandon Sanderson
Yeah, you can email me about that one, because I can find that one. Because I know which one that one was, but I can't remember the other one. I feel so bad! It's like...

Terez
Well, was it Leane and Perrin, with the crown and the High Chant?

Brandon Sanderson
Mayyy-beee.....

Terez
Like, she said something about, "Next the blacksmith is gonna be wearing a crown and speaking in High Chant..."

Brandon Sanderson
Ohhhhh, yeah! I bet it's that one, because...yeah.....

Terez
It's kind of an innocent foreshadowing....

Brandon Sanderson
...No, you're right.

Terez
I think you kind of avoided my question, and then you later kind of...

Brandon Sanderson
Yeah, I think it's that one, because it's Perrin becoming king.

Terez
Right. Okay.

Brandon Sanderson
Which finally happened in this book.

Terez
Can you tell us one scene that RJ worked on outside of the prologue and epilogue?

Brandon Sanderson
Yes. He wrote Moiraine's dialogue at the, um....

Terez
...at the Merrilor meeting?

Brandon Sanderson
At the Merrilor meeting.

Terez
Okay.

Was it actually Egwene talking to Rand, after...

Brandon Sanderson
Oh, I've left this one intentionally ambiguous.

Terez
I figured that's what you did.

Brandon Sanderson
That, and whether Lan actually died or not, are both ones that I'm not going to answer.

Terez
Yeah, and whether Perrin actually died or not, because he's in the dark prophecy too.

Brandon Sanderson
Yes, but do remember that the dark prophecy people are misinterpreting that one a little bit, by intention.

Terez
Yeah... [Amusingly, Brandon is talking about the dark prophecy in Towers of Midnight, and I'm talking about the one in The Great Hunt.]

Brandon Sanderson
You know, they're supposed to misinterpret it, but one of the lines doesn't refer to Perrin; it refers to Hopper, and then the next line...

Terez
Well, not her new lover!

Brandon Sanderson
Yeah, yeah...

Terez
That's not Hopper, is it? (laughter behind)

Brandon Sanderson
Uh, no...

Terez
She's not into...okay. Good. (laughs)

Was Min's "three ships sailing" inspired by the Niña, the Pinta, and the Santa María?

Brandon Sanderson
I don't believe so. Wow, but I don't know, so I can't say on that one...

Terez
Oh, it wasn't yours?

Brandon Sanderson
Uh, no....ah...

Terez
It was in the last book: three ships sailing, insect in the darkness, red lights....

Brandon Sanderson
Yeah. It's not the Niña, the Pinta, and the Santa María....

Terez
Yeah, well I thought it might have been inspired by that...

Brandon Sanderson
We'll have to dig into the notes on that one.

Terez
Allllll-right. And I think that is it!

Brandon Sanderson
Okay. I hope I didn't say anything too wrong.

Terez
I think you did a good job of avoiding that.

Brandon Sanderson
As always Terez, you are awesome...

Terez
You are awesome...

Brandon Sanderson
...and we really do appreciate you.

Terez
I appreciate you too.

***

And then I said my goodbyes, and then we drove home in the rain. Godawful rain. But it was worth it.
__________________
Qui nos rodunt confundantur, et cum iustis non scribantur.
@Terez27
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-05-2013, 04:04 PM
Davian93's Avatar
Davian93 Davian93 is offline
Hero of the Horn
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 20,123
Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Wow...what a treasure trove of info.

Well done.
__________________
Bonded to Brita

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-05-2013, 05:07 PM
KilMichaelMcC KilMichaelMcC is offline
Youngling
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 22
KilMichaelMcC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

I don't understand the bit about "whether Lan actually died or not." Did I miss something here, because Lan obviously didn't die, so what is that about?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-05-2013, 05:23 PM
Dom Dom is offline
ReadandFindOut.com
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Montréal - Qc - Canada
Posts: 862
Dom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant future
Default

Now that is a real Q&A!

Thanks Terez!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-05-2013, 05:44 PM
Weird Harold's Avatar
Weird Harold Weird Harold is offline
Hero of the Horn
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: "Lost Wages," NV USA
Posts: 5,007
Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
Have we seen Nakomi in any other guise? Is she somebody we would know?

Brandon Sanderson
No, we haven't. Good question.

Terez
That's a good answer.

Brandon Sanderson
I can kill the Nakomi-Verin theory.
Thanks. That answer kills more than the Nakomi-Verin theory; it also kills Nakomi-Greandal and Nakomi-Lanfear, too.
__________________
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-05-2013, 05:44 PM
fionwe1987 fionwe1987 is offline
Youngling
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,680
fionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant future
Default

Oh wow. That was a great read. Thanks for asking those questions
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-05-2013, 07:07 PM
Davian93's Avatar
Davian93 Davian93 is offline
Hero of the Horn
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 20,123
Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Harold View Post
Thanks. That answer kills more than the Nakomi-Verin theory; it also kills Nakomi-Greandal and Nakomi-Lanfear, too.
It basically leaves it as either a PLE or a "Nakomi is the personification of the Creator" as theories.
__________________
Bonded to Brita

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-05-2013, 07:17 PM
Zombie Sammael's Avatar
Zombie Sammael Zombie Sammael is offline
Elder
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Too close to New South Wales
Posts: 3,225
Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilMichaelMcC View Post
I don't understand the bit about "whether Lan actually died or not." Did I miss something here, because Lan obviously didn't die, so what is that about?
Immediately before Olver blew the Horn, Lan was impaled on Demandred's sword whilst using sheathing the sword to finish Demandred. He then stood up in the same section of the book as Birgitte and Noal came back from the dead. This makes it look very like he was a Hero of the Horn, brought back by it being sounded. If that's the case it's possible his appearances later in the story are simply him hanging around slightly later than the other Heroes.

Thanks for the signing report, Terez. I applaud you upon your choice of dedication. :P
__________________
Sa souvraya niende misain ye

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-05-2013, 07:37 PM
Southpaw2012 Southpaw2012 is offline
Youngling
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 691
Southpaw2012 is a jewel in the roughSouthpaw2012 is a jewel in the roughSouthpaw2012 is a jewel in the rough
Default

I think Brandon has confirmed that Malkier gets rebuilt so I'm assuming that Lan survived and that it wasn't just him hanging around longer than the others as a Hero of the Horn.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-05-2013, 07:40 PM
Davian93's Avatar
Davian93 Davian93 is offline
Hero of the Horn
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 20,123
Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Nah, the Warder bond kept him alive.
__________________
Bonded to Brita

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-05-2013, 07:46 PM
Dom Dom is offline
ReadandFindOut.com
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Montréal - Qc - Canada
Posts: 862
Dom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant future
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Sammael View Post
This makes it look very like he was a Hero of the Horn, brought back by it being sounded.

Beside the fact Brandon mentioned Lan and Nynaeve will rebuild Malkier, there's a POV on Rand pointing out to Shai'tan He's given Lan for dead too soon.

Terez could explain it as she's far more aware than I of all the Q&A details, but I'm guessing Brandon might have been referring to questions on the topic of whether it's him or RJ who decided Lan would live.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-05-2013, 07:56 PM
Zombie Sammael's Avatar
Zombie Sammael Zombie Sammael is offline
Elder
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Too close to New South Wales
Posts: 3,225
Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
Beside the fact Brandon mentioned Lan and Nynaeve will rebuild Malkier, there's a POV on Rand pointing out to Shai'tan He's given Lan for dead too soon.

Terez could explain it as she's far more aware than I of all the Q&A details, but I'm guessing Brandon might have been referring to questions on the topic of whether it's him or RJ who decided Lan would live.
It's also possible - just possible, mind - that a HOTH who gets called back so soon after dying simply continues their life.

I dunno, I guess I just like the idea of Aan'allein being a HOTH. And since the series is done, I guess I can hold on to it if I want to.
__________________
Sa souvraya niende misain ye

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-05-2013, 08:06 PM
Davian93's Avatar
Davian93 Davian93 is offline
Hero of the Horn
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 20,123
Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Sammael View Post
It's also possible - just possible, mind - that a HOTH who gets called back so soon after dying simply continues their life.

I dunno, I guess I just like the idea of Aan'allein being a HOTH. And since the series is done, I guess I can hold on to it if I want to.
No because Birgitte was in exactly the same situation and she left again.
__________________
Bonded to Brita

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-05-2013, 08:20 PM
Zombie Sammael's Avatar
Zombie Sammael Zombie Sammael is offline
Elder
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Too close to New South Wales
Posts: 3,225
Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
No because Birgitte was in exactly the same situation and she left again.
Ah, but Birgitte was reborn right away. Maybe the same thing could happen to Lan...

DAMN YOU THEORYLAND JUST LET ME HAVE THIS ONE!!!!!!!!!!!
__________________
Sa souvraya niende misain ye

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-05-2013, 09:08 PM
fionwe1987 fionwe1987 is offline
Youngling
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,680
fionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant future
Default

I may be wrong but I think Brandon is referring to the theory that Rand somehow brought Lan back to life. It's been doing the rounds in some other forums, though it's easy to debunk.

It's interesting that he wanted to intentionally keep the Egwene thing ambiguous. He really shouldn't have made it so distinct by having Rand converse with her then.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-05-2013, 11:23 PM
Zombie Sammael's Avatar
Zombie Sammael Zombie Sammael is offline
Elder
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Too close to New South Wales
Posts: 3,225
Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fionwe1987 View Post
I may be wrong but I think Brandon is referring to the theory that Rand somehow brought Lan back to life. It's been doing the rounds in some other forums, though it's easy to debunk.

It's interesting that he wanted to intentionally keep the Egwene thing ambiguous. He really shouldn't have made it so distinct by having Rand converse with her then.
Or maybe he's not answering because he thinks it's too damn obvious to bother with. :P
__________________
Sa souvraya niende misain ye

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-06-2013, 03:32 AM
Terez's Avatar
Terez Terez is offline
Hero of the Horn
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Corn
Posts: 21,127
Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
It basically leaves it as either a PLE or a "Nakomi is the personification of the Creator" as theories.
There are other options, like the idea that she came from another world via Tel'aran'rhiod and the weakening of the Pattern, or more specifically Wetlander's Jenn Aiel theory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilMichaelMcC View Post
I don't understand the bit about "whether Lan actually died or not." Did I miss something here, because Lan obviously didn't die, so what is that about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
Beside the fact Brandon mentioned Lan and Nynaeve will rebuild Malkier, there's a POV on Rand pointing out to Shai'tan He's given Lan for dead too soon.

Terez could explain it as she's far more aware than I of all the Q&A details, but I'm guessing Brandon might have been referring to questions on the topic of whether it's him or RJ who decided Lan would live.
I had a (very) brief conversation with bossman about this before the book came out, and he mentioned something in his review about what RJ said about certain viewings maybe not being valid because of the Pattern falling apart. (All viewings given before mega-balefire are valid.) That gives me the impression that bossman had a conversation about Lan's death with Brandon, and that Brandon gave this as a possible explanation (or maybe bossman suggested it). The viewing in question is the two dead men surrounded by ranks and ranks of Trollocs. That would be Demandred and Lan, because Brandon made a clear reference to the viewing just before the scene that Dom mentions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM 13
An open cavern, gaping like a mouth. Bloodstained rocks. Two dead men on the ground, surrounded by ranks and ranks of Trollocs, a pipe with smoke curling from it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMOL 39
I CAN STILL KILL, the Dark One bellowed. I CAN STILL TAKE THEM ALL! I AM LORD OF THE GRAVE. THE BATTLE LORD, HE IS MINE. ALL ARE MINE EVENTUALLY!

Rand stepped forward, hand stretched out. In his palm sat the world, and upon that world a continent, and upon that continent a battlefield, and upon that battlefield two bodies on the ground.
__________________
Qui nos rodunt confundantur, et cum iustis non scribantur.
@Terez27
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-06-2013, 07:17 PM
Dom Dom is offline
ReadandFindOut.com
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Montréal - Qc - Canada
Posts: 862
Dom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant future
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
That would be Demandred and Lan, because Brandon made a clear reference to the viewing just before the scene that Dom mentions.

There's the fact the images forming the viewing (distorted, beside, by Min's description) don't always represent literally what the omen means (especially not when Min has no interpretation to offer). Lan was after all taken for dead.

This was for me part of the late series' viewings which main purpose didn't really seem anymore to foreshadow so much as to raise the stakes by painting a very grim picture.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-06-2013, 08:47 PM
sleepinghour sleepinghour is offline
Elder
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 426
sleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Thanks, Terez! Awesome Q&A and report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fionwe1987 View Post
I may be wrong but I think Brandon is referring to the theory that Rand somehow brought Lan back to life.
Someone apparently asked Brandon about that at an earlier signing.

Quote:
I asked Brandon at the Milford, NH signing if Rand brought back Lan, certain he had died. He smiled and said, "that's a really good question. There really is no answer. What do you think?"
I have to say, that Rand might have resurrected Lan never occurred to me as I was reading the book (it seemed plausible enough that Lan survived due to the Warder bond and being Healed relatively quickly by Narishma...Gawyn also managed to hold on to life for a while). Seeing as AMoL already suffers from too many unexplained events and unanswered questions, I wish Brandon had refrained from adding even more. In several cases, it sounds like it's not a matter of RJ not leaving an explanation or not wanting something explained; it's Brandon who chose not to explain things he added on his own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
This was for me part of the late series' viewings which main purpose didn't really seem anymore to foreshadow so much as to raise the stakes by painting a very grim picture.
Like Min's TGS viewing of Nynaeve grieving over a man's corpse. If it was Lan's corpse, it didn't come true; if it was Rand's, it wasn't a very significant event in the grand scheme of things since it took Nynaeve all of five minutes to realize something was up with his girlfriends' lack of grief. It was the only viewing of Nynaeve she's had since TGH, and ultimately it didn't mean very much.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-07-2013, 02:18 AM
Terez's Avatar
Terez Terez is offline
Hero of the Horn
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Corn
Posts: 21,127
Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
There's the fact the images forming the viewing (distorted, beside, by Min's description) don't always represent literally what the omen means (especially not when Min has no interpretation to offer).
He loophole here (which IMO is a bit of a deus ex machina) seems to be for third parties. If she sees the death of a person in their aura, they will die, and there is no alternate interpretation. (see Leya) If she sees the death of a person in another person's aura, they might not actually die. In either case, the her initial wording of a viewing is always significant, hence the argument with Rand about the Alivia viewing. Min said "Alivia is going to kill you" and Rand reminded her that what she actually said was that Alivia was going to help him die, which was not the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
This was for me part of the late series' viewings which main purpose didn't really seem anymore to foreshadow so much as to raise the stakes by painting a very grim picture.
Agreed.
__________________
Qui nos rodunt confundantur, et cum iustis non scribantur.
@Terez27
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.