art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (1): imichelinirandy,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Non WoT Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 05-27-2016, 10:22 PM
Elder

Khoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant future

Woo! Go History degree!

That has always fascinated me - trying to think of all the different possibilities, and solutions to problems. Hopefully I'll be able to learn more about it, if I ever do end up getting into the military.

Can you believe that it's been nearly two years since I applied!? And I was supposed to be gone now, too.

Life is a dream from which we all must wake before we can dream again.

Al dival, al kiserai, al mashi! - For light, glory, and love!

Carai an manshimaya ayend'an! - Honor of my blade for the fallen.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:35 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

That's a rare English slip for yks in the title. Just mentioning it because Theoryland is boring, and because yks can usually pass for a native speaker. (It's always "the Pentagon" unless it's used as an adjective, like "Pentagon aides".)
Old 05-28-2016, 07:59 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
That's a rare English slip for yks in the title.
Wouldn't an English slip be called "knickers"?

Of course, it's possible that yks did it on purpose; this seems to be a topic that requires short, simple words combined with simplified grammar.
Old 05-28-2016, 09:01 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Sometimes headlines do drop grammatically necessary articles, but this just reads as wrong/weird. Perhaps another native would be willing to argue that point; this is Theoryland after all.
Old 05-28-2016, 10:26 AM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

Is it a language thing, though? Isn't it more an American thing? If Brits, Aussies, Canadians etc. commonly leave the article out, then yks still passes for a native. So how does the rest of the English speaking world refer to the American Pentagon?
Lord Captain Commander of Singing Chipmunks
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 05-28-2016, 12:42 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
Sometimes headlines do drop grammatically necessary articles, but this just reads as wrong/weird. Perhaps another native would be willing to argue that point; this is Theoryland after all.
It has a feel similar to "in Russia...". Whether or not that was intentional is another question, but this is yks, and a similar splicing of the Russia joke would be rather fitting considering the topic.
Old 05-29-2016, 04:29 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Well, yeah, but that explanation makes sense, which often is no fun at all.
Old 05-30-2016, 02:59 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Safety and Security are both sides of the same coin. A lot of the same principles apply but the end goal is different. For nukes, safety would be making sure they don't go off accidentally through risk mitigation like making the bomb case more secure and the trigger mechanism less twitchy so to speak. It would also include things like practice exercises in loading and unloading both silos and bombers to make sure procedures work and the crews aren't at risk. Even things like teaching proper lifting techniques and ergonomics fall under "safety"

Security would be the prevention of tampering, having armed guards, patrols, CCTV systems, a fence line, concentric perimeter defenses, a hardened silo that can survive a nearby first strike attempt, etc.

Both come down to the concept of risk management and 99% of what I do every single day at my job is risk assessment and risk management regardless of whether I'm focused on safety or security.
Safety and Security can also have a bit of a conflict - let's say you have followed all the Security regulations, but thereby your Safety procedures become ridiculously cumbersome.

I forgot to add the Q for quality that's often added in the acronym; at least... in the early stages of projects, during production/construction the Q is its own department usually.

The best clusterfucks happen when somebody bypasses the security (usually in order to speed things up), thereby 80% of the cases messing up both the safety and quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khoram View Post
Woo! Go History degree!

That has always fascinated me - trying to think of all the different possibilities, and solutions to problems. Hopefully I'll be able to learn more about it, if I ever do end up getting into the military.

Can you believe that it's been nearly two years since I applied!? And I was supposed to be gone now, too.
History degrees rock! you can do almost anything with a history degree. I'm about to transition form Document Control (=archiving) into Data Analysis. Which is the same technique as statistical historiography, really. Booyah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post
It has a feel similar to "in Russia...". Whether or not that was intentional is another question, but this is yks, and a similar splicing of the Russia joke would be rather fitting considering the topic.
this was indeed the reason. Well, and the fact that I'd only had one cup of coffee at that point in the day when I posted it

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 05-30-2016, 03:23 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by yks 6nnetu hing View Post
Well, and the fact that I'd only had one cup of coffee at that point in the day when I posted it
Should that be filed under breach of:
A. safety?
B. security?
C. quality?
D. none of the above?
Old 05-30-2016, 04:35 AM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
A. safety?
B. security?
C. quality?
D. none of the above?
I think it would be either health or environment, so D.

Would it be correct to define security as safety from intentional harm? And in this I define playing with fire type of behaviour as intentionally harmful.

And as the safety approach is entirely dependent on what one wants to be safe from, it is completely normal for safety protocols to be in conflict.
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 05-30-2016, 05:57 AM
Hero of the Horn

DahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to DahLliA

Quote:
<snip>
Cheers. Guess I'll just have to keep trying to sneak some more certifications through my current job then

"'Profound... huh.' Temper was silent for a long moment, studying the cobbles of the alley mouth. And then he lifted his helmed head, faced Shadowthrone, and said, 'Fuck off.'"
Old 05-30-2016, 06:11 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
A. safety?
B. security?
C. quality?
D. none of the above?
quality. Since neither safety nor security of any person or institution would be compromised by omitting the "the"; however the quality of the title is sub-par.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazbaque View Post
I think it would be either health or environment, so D.

Would it be correct to define security as safety from intentional harm? And in this I define playing with fire type of behaviour as intentionally harmful.

And as the safety approach is entirely dependent on what one wants to be safe from, it is completely normal for safety protocols to be in conflict.
Unless someone would get a serious physical/mental reaction as a result of the missing "the", it's not health. And since it doesn't influence the environment in any way, it's not environment.

By and large, yes intentional actions which could cause harm. Whether the harm was intended or not, that's a whole different topic: then it becomes a question of sabotage versus incompetence/ negligence/ thoughtlessness.

Bonded to JWB

-- Winston Churchill
Old 05-30-2016, 07:08 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
quality. Since neither safety nor security of any person or institution would be compromised by omitting the "the"; however the quality of the title is sub-par.

Unless someone would get a serious physical/mental reaction as a result of the missing "the", it's not health. And since it doesn't influence the environment in any way, it's not environment.
I was refering to the cause of the missing the (and I think the 'in' should be 'at' if you included 'the' in the sentence). If lack of coffee has such effects on you, it must be a case of health. Or it could be that an environment without coffee is harmful to people.
Quote:
By and large, yes intentional actions which could cause harm. Whether the harm was intended or not, that's a whole different topic: then it becomes a question of sabotage versus incompetence/ negligence/ thoughtlessness.
How does the topic become different for sabotage? Flawed security is flawed security.
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 05-30-2016, 08:39 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
I was refering to the cause of the missing the (and I think the 'in' should be 'at' if you included 'the' in the sentence). If lack of coffee has such effects on you, it must be a case of health. Or it could be that an environment without coffee is harmful to people.
ah. Yes, then it would be health. Albeit a really mild case of not being completely awake.

Bonded to JWB

-- Winston Churchill
Old 05-30-2016, 09:53 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Great example of where safety and security can clash. You have a facility that has mag-lock doors (i.e. Big electro magnets serve as locks rather than a bar or latch system)...when you lose power, the doors are unlocked as there isn't any power to the magnets. So...to secure the building, you have an issue. You can't just chain the door shut because even if no one is inside, it violates the fire code (a safety regulation) so you have to post a guard, preferably armed. One mitigation is to have a backup power source...even just an UPS but those aren't 100% reliable either so it can get messy.

I ended up pushing for and getting an entire backup generator instead since it was such an issue.

But as you say, they can definitely be in conflict at times.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 05-30-2016, 11:01 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Or it could be that an environment without coffee is harmful to people.
Well, duh!
Old 05-30-2016, 11:55 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Well, duh!
You don't get to take that attitude, Gonzo.
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 05-30-2016, 12:19 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
You don't get to take that attitude, Gonzo.
In Pentagon, attitude takes you.
Old 05-30-2016, 01:09 PM
Elder

Khoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant future

Quote:
Great example of where safety and security can clash. You have a facility that has mag-lock doors (i.e. Big electro magnets serve as locks rather than a bar or latch system)...when you lose power, the doors are unlocked as there isn't any power to the magnets. So...to secure the building, you have an issue. You can't just chain the door shut because even if no one is inside, it violates the fire code (a safety regulation) so you have to post a guard, preferably armed. One mitigation is to have a backup power source...even just an UPS but those aren't 100% reliable either so it can get messy.

I ended up pushing for and getting an entire backup generator instead since it was such an issue.

But as you say, they can definitely be in conflict at times.
Sounds like the problems in Jurassic Park. They should have had better contingency plans.

Life is a dream from which we all must wake before we can dream again.

Al dival, al kiserai, al mashi! - For light, glory, and love!

Carai an manshimaya ayend'an! - Honor of my blade for the fallen.
Old 05-30-2016, 01:15 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
In Pentagon, attitude takes you.
You mean the name comes from all that pent up agony and the building shape is just a coincidence?
Master of Nazgul Kitchen