art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (2): rappalardoryanp, mjarzombejohn,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > General Wheel of Time Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 03-14-2012, 02:37 PM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute
Default Asmodean

I know I'm going to be burned forever for bringing this up again, but since it's me that's not really different from what my day to day life would be anyway.

I've been away for a great while and am way too lazy to track down other Asmodean threads so someone might well have posted all that I am going to say now.

Anyway, since I first read the series I assumed that Lanfear had made the three wishes resulting in her death as well as Asmodean's and her decrease in strength was some sort of side effect. I went through a whole lot of other suspects from the Forsaken to Mat and Aviendha, but even when there was a possible motive it seemed farfetched and certainly far from obvious.

The only obvious motive beside Lanfear's was Moiraine's and I actually found it more satisfying as Rand had somehow escaped Lanfear's wrath. I chose Lanfear because I assumed her to have died because she had made the wishes and Moiraine to be alive because she hadn't.

This was changed by TOM when it was revealed that Lanfear's death was an accident and more importantly Moiraine had made the wishes. I am certain that at least one of the wishes enabled her to kill Asmodean.

How this happened is open to a wide range of possibilities depending on how powerfull the Eelfinn are in granting wishes, but the most satisfying scenario is this: Moiraine's two other wishes were to let her go to Tel'aran'rhiod and to pull Asmodean there after which she balefired him. The snags are as I said whether or not the Eelfinn can do this and what happened to Asmodean's body.

I can't offer proof of the Eelfinn's powers but I don't think TAR related abilities are unreasonable assumptions. With Asmodean's body there are three possibilities: 1) The Eelfinn could actually pull him into TAR in the flesh, 2) Getting balefired in TAR also destroys your body and 3) Asmodean's body was simply disposed of among the other bodies that resulted from the fight in Caemlyn either by mistake or by darkfriends. The third possibility is by far the simplest especially if you assume the corpse to be somewhat singed if not actually destroyed by the TAR balefire. The second leans heavily on assumption though it is not an unreasonable one. The first I find least likely to be possible, but if possible most likely to be true.

So there you have it. My final take on the death of Asmodean. It may well be that this has already been brought up and you have discussed it to the point of wanting to puke, but I'm posting this anyway in hopes that there is at least something others haven't said before now.
Lord Captain Commander of Singing Chipmunks
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 03-14-2012, 03:07 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Graendal did it and it was confirmed by Brandon, the glossary of ToM and everyone else.

Fin.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 03-14-2012, 03:18 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazbaque View Post
I can't offer proof of the Eelfinn's powers but I don't think TAR related abilities are unreasonable assumptions.
You might should consider exploring the question in the interview database.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:41 PM
Youngling

Seth Baker is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Baker is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Baker is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Baker is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Baker is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Baker is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Graendal did it and it was confirmed by Brandon, the glossary of ToM and everyone else.

Fin.
He was right - gonna get burned for that one. When it's unequivocally answered by something between the covers...
Old 03-14-2012, 03:47 PM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

TOM Glossary.... Ooooh the burning fires of embarrassment. That's what I get for skippin on Glossaries and taking two year vacations from TL. There goes all the cred I had and all I didn't have too. But I like my solution better. And Graendal is hardly obvious.

EDIT: I nominate myself for the most embarrassing deed in the history of TL contest.
Master of Nazgul Kitchen

Last edited by Nazbaque; 03-14-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:57 PM
Hero of the Horn

Ishara has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Ishara

LOL - good try, though! I hated the idea of Graedal doing it, and still haven't heard a scenario that I like enough to endorse, but given her PoV and the glossary, I'm stuck with this fact and its implications. Alas.

Rand: You are an insensitive bastard!!!
Mat: And you ruined another hat!

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by lightening. -- Calvin

"Gee, I wish I could do magic! Maybe I'll try!" --SDog

Official Vixen of Theoryland and Theoryland Siren

Grain Goddess, the Rood Inverse, the Mad Glomper
Old 03-14-2012, 04:01 PM
Hero of the Horn

Not even mine? Awwwwwwww
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 03-14-2012, 04:09 PM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

The funniest thing is that aside from the threads he was 'to lazy' to dig up, the answer is right on theoryland.com. The homepage.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:21 PM
Youngling

Seth Baker is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Baker is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Baker is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Baker is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Baker is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Baker is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah, I agree that I don't like it - it got all built up and the answer was not some nifty justification, just, "OH BTW ASMODEAN" in the glossary.

But it doesn't matter THAT much to me.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:21 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unreasoner View Post
The funniest thing is that aside from the threads he was 'to lazy' to dig up, the answer is right on theoryland.com. The homepage.
We have a homepage?

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 03-14-2012, 04:38 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
No you don't you filthy son of sands! I may have shamed myself to the core but no-one can claim that I ever use 'to' instead of 'too'!

*Sets himself on fire*

Now take it back or you won't get a marshmallow!

*Roasts marshmallows*

EDIT: And when I say "too lazy" I mean "too lazy". That includes checking the homepage (or trying to find it)
Master of Nazgul Kitchen

Last edited by Nazbaque; 03-14-2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:46 PM
Youngling

eht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishara View Post
LOL - good try, though! I hated the idea of Graedal doing it, and still haven't heard a scenario that I like enough to endorse, but given her PoV and the glossary, I'm stuck with this fact and its implications. Alas.
Seems pretty likely that as Natael suggested might happen, an opportunity kill, though I wouldn't put it past them to have used Graendal as the extra-person in the plot to clear up that little loose.

Referencing the Graendal-Lanfear-Rahvin-Sammael alliance that Moghedian told Nynaeve about. Lanfear was already out of the picture, and it's not unreasonable to think that Graendal and Sammael might have been in the palace at the time, seeing where the chips fell.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:14 PM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

So, what was Asmo doing in between ~the beginning of TGH/end of TEOTW and the point where he turned up with Lanfear in TSR? All the other Forsaken had schemes and plans, societies to infiltrate and nations to conquer. What about Asmo?

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known
Old 03-14-2012, 05:28 PM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazbaque View Post
No you don't you filthy son of sands! I may have shamed myself to the core but no-one can claim that I ever use 'to' instead of 'too'!
To share your shame, I will not edit that post, leaving my typo intact.
Quote:
We have a homepage?
lol. I guess not, if you click on the link I gave. No idea how that came about.

But, I'll leave that error too.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:35 PM
Youngling

finnssss is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Baker View Post
Yeah, I agree that I don't like it - it got all built up and the answer was not some nifty justification, just, "OH BTW ASMODEAN" in the glossary.

But it doesn't matter THAT much to me.
It was only put in the glossary because it was revealed in the Epilogue already.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:57 PM
Youngling

Tomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant future

Quote:
We have a homepage?
Yes we are the fanatics (in theory)
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. (Marx)
Old 03-14-2012, 06:01 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
To share your shame, I will not edit that post, leaving my typo intact.
Good. Now have a marshmallow.

*Looks around*

Hmmm... lots of people who have never tasted marshmallows roasted in my flames.

Dig in everybody! Don't be shy!

*Eats a marshmallow*

Ooooh my shame adds to the flavor!
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 03-14-2012, 06:14 PM
Youngling

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnssss View Post
It was only put in the glossary because it was revealed in the Epilogue already.
What I mean to say is that the revelation doesn't appear to have any purpose in the narrative except as a curio, at which point I question why it was made into such a big deal in the first place.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:31 PM
Youngling

Grig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant future

Quote:
What I mean to say is that the revelation doesn't appear to have any purpose in the narrative except as a curio, at which point I question why it was made into such a big deal in the first place.
Same reason that "mice and figs" works. Fans make up explanations more crazy and convoluted than RJ ever would have (See: Two Servants theory - I was a fan). RJ never gave any indication that "Who Killed Asmo" was a big deal, he just liked messing with fans and thought it was obvious enough. He also might have wanted to leave himself leeway in case he wanted to use that subplot later, which is a reason not to come out and say it, or to write it in just to have it written in and established.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:19 PM
Youngling

finnssss is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grig View Post
Same reason that "mice and figs" works. Fans make up explanations more crazy and convoluted than RJ ever would have (See: Two Servants theory - I was a fan). RJ never gave any indication that "Who Killed Asmo" was a big deal, he just liked messing with fans and thought it was obvious enough. He also might have wanted to leave himself leeway in case he wanted to use that subplot later, which is a reason not to come out and say it, or to write it in just to have it written in and established.
Exactly. Personally, I was never all that concerned over who killed him. It was just a matter of time before someone got him and I was/am more concerned with things that still meant something like the identity of Mesaana and location/identity/proxy of Demandred.