art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Non WoT Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 02-13-2016, 06:52 PM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

At least the Right blocking a nominee will bring to focus exactly what's at stake in November. Do the Democratic voters trust Sanders to win? I don't.
Old 02-13-2016, 06:55 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
That's total bullshit and you know it. McConnell has already come out saying he's going to block any attempt as will Cruz. It's pure politics, not a slow nomination process. When's the last time the court waited 11 months to attempt to fill a nomination? Never
Souter announced his retirement on April 30th, 2009. Sotomayor was nominated on May 26th and confirmed on August 6th.

John Paul Stevens announced his retirement on April 9th, 2010. Kagan was nominated on May 10th and confirmed on August 5th.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:01 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unreasoner View Post
At least the Right blocking a nominee will bring to focus exactly what's at stake in November. Do the Democratic voters trust Sanders to win? I don't.
I trust him a lot more than I trust Hillary to win. She's under three separate investigations and she doesn't inspire liberals. If Trump is the nominee (which seems likely at this point), Bernie will be immune to Trump's advantages, that he doesn't take big campaign contributions, populist sentiment, etc.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:06 PM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
Bernie will be immune to Trump's advantages, that he doesn't take big campaign contributions, populist sentiment, etc.
You're forgetting a rather big one...
Old 02-13-2016, 07:18 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone else thinking that Obama should just send the ultimate f*ck you to the Republicans and nominate himself?
Old 02-13-2016, 07:24 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Nominate Biden.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 02-13-2016, 07:29 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You're forgetting a rather big one...
I doubt it.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:30 PM
Ancient

Quote:
Nominate Biden.
Obama has an impeccable resume for the court. Magna cum laude Harvard Law School. Harvard Law Review President. Professor of Constitutional Law at the Univ. of Chicago. Senator from Illinois. President of the United States. How could they possibly not confirm?

Hell, just let Biden be President for a few months after Obama is confirmed in the summer. Maybe South Carolina and the rest of Dixie will secede again and this time we can just celebrate and watch them collapse into a 3rd World sh*thole.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:37 PM
Youngling

fionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post
Anyone else thinking that Obama should just send the ultimate f*ck you to the Republicans and nominate himself?
Legally speaking, can he? I'm not sure if such a law exists, but I would thing something would prevent a person from holding two such offices.

What WOULD be fun is if the Republicans succeed in blocking his nominee now, and are then presented with Obama as the nominee by the next president.

I won't pretend to any real sorrow over his death beyond the fact that any death is sad. But I DO think it is ridiculous that politicians didn't even bother to wait for a day before fighting about whether he should be immediately replaced. All out of "respect for his legacy" of course.

Obama should have every right to appoint a successor. The Dems and the Republicans don't even have nominees yet. 11 months is a good long time in a Presidency, and it makes no sense to argue that just because he won't be reelected at that point, Obama should loll about doing nothing till then.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:52 PM
Elder

Quote:
I doubt it.
The one thing Trump supporters seem to care about most, according to most polls and surveys? Something Hillary is actually respected for by reasonable individuals?
Old 02-13-2016, 07:58 PM
Youngling

Southpaw2012 is a jewel in the roughSouthpaw2012 is a jewel in the roughSouthpaw2012 is a jewel in the rough

No, it's politics. Get over it. It would be horrible for the Senate to give in and rush in a nominee just because Obama sheep want them to. If roles were reversed, liberals would never give in. And no, nomination process and confirmation DOES take awhile.

http://www.cato.org/blog/antonin-scalia-revolutionary

Good article
Old 02-13-2016, 07:58 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
The one thing Trump supporters seem to care about most, according to most polls and surveys? Something Hillary is actually respected for by reasonable individuals?
I'm tired; spell it out.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:02 PM
Youngling

Southpaw2012 is a jewel in the roughSouthpaw2012 is a jewel in the roughSouthpaw2012 is a jewel in the rough

The 2016 election has become a fight for nominating the next Supreme Court justice. Will we get a justice who will fight for the written Constitution? Or a justice, like the liberals on the court now (including Kennedy) who will fight for the tempting, idealistic policy of the day?
Old 02-13-2016, 08:08 PM
Ancient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw2012 View Post
The 2016 election has become a fight for nominating the next Supreme Court justice. Will we get a justice who will fight for the written Constitution? Or a justice, like the liberals on the court now (including Kennedy) who will fight for the tempting, idealistic policy of the day?
How dare these women think they should have the right to vote, or have their health care pay for birth control, or get an abortion. How dare these black people think they should have the right to be free, let alone vote. How dare these gay people think they should have the right to marry, or buy a cake.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:12 PM
Elder

Quote:
I'm tired; spell it out.
Defense. I'm not saying Trump would be good at it (I think the reality is quite the reverse) or that Sanders would be bad. What I am saying is that Trump has the image of someone who can defend the country (obtained saying he'd restart torture programs and ban Muslims, but whatever). Hillary helped (how much she did, I don't know. But she has a credible claim) get Bin Laden, and enjoys a similar reputation. At least among those not consumed by the Benghazi nonsense.

Bernie may be perfectly capable. He may even be the best of the bunch. But he doesn't cultivate the image of an effective Commander-in-Chief, and that will come back to bite him in November.

He's not even a great crusader. Warren would have been a much better choice to lead this 'movement'.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:17 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Defense. I'm not saying Trump would be good at it (I think the reality is quite the reverse) or that Sanders would be bad. What I am saying is that Trump has the image of someone who can defend the country (obtained saying he'd restart torture programs and ban Muslims, but whatever). Hillary helped (how much she did, I don't know. But she has a credible claim) get Bin Laden, and enjoys a similar reputation. At least among those not consumed by the Benghazi nonsense.

Bernie may be perfectly capable. He may even be the best of the bunch. But he doesn't cultivate the image of an effective Commander-in-Chief, and that will come back to bite him in November.

He's not even a great crusader. Warren would have been a much better choice to lead this 'movement'.
Bernie's positions on foreign policy are actually in line with the majority of the country, and he has repeatedly shown better judgment. Even Chris Matthews said "I'm with Bernie on foreign policy" during the last debate. Trump's blatherings on this subject are appealing to the base of his voters, but not all of them.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:33 PM
Elder

Quote:
Bernie's positions on foreign policy are actually in line with the majority of the country, and he has repeatedly shown better judgment. Even Chris Matthews said "I'm with Bernie on foreign policy" during the last debate. Trump's blatherings on this subject are appealing to the base of his voters, but not all of them.
Bernie's just anti-interventionist, which is one of Matthews's two big concerns. Trump can actually make a good claim that he is too, considering he opposed the war in Iraq.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:40 PM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Sad...I didn't like him or agree with most of his ideas but it's always sad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fionwe1987 View Post
I won't pretend to any real sorrow over his death beyond the fact that any death is sad.
I'm going to go on a tangent here and point out that death is not sad by default. In fact any sadness related to death is always about the living. They have lost someone they had a bond with and that is sad. Death is the force that keeps the cycle of life going. All living things feed on something that was once alive. Every part of us was once a part of something else and part of another being before that. Death is a necessary part of this cycle. It is only sad to those who had a connection to the person and the sadness is not in the person's death but the void they left behind in those people's hearts.
Lord Captain Commander of Singing Chipmunks
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 02-13-2016, 08:43 PM
Youngling

fionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw2012 View Post
You know I think it is a particularly American lunacy to give a near holy halo to a two century old document. The original was not a gospel, and its writers were not omniscient. They seemed to have been perfectly aware that what they were working on was a start. One that would have to be reworked constantly to keep it relevant to the times.

Somehow, that seems to have been lost. Exaclty why should the intentions of men who died nearly 250 years ago matter to the United States as it is today?
Old 02-13-2016, 08:52 PM
Ancient

Quote:
Originally Posted by fionwe1987 View Post
You know I think it is a particularly American lunacy to give a near holy halo to a two century old document. The original was not a gospel, and its writers were not omniscient. They seemed to have been perfectly aware that what they were working on was a start. One that would have to be reworked constantly to keep it relevant to the times.

Somehow, that seems to have been lost. Exaclty why should the intentions of men who died nearly 250 years ago matter to the United States as it is today?
It shouldn't, and this "originalist" nonsense was mostly Scalia's magnum opus. Hopefully Hades is getting creative with the bastard down in Tartarus.