art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (1): eveningdesigner,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Non WoT Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 02-15-2016, 01:27 AM
Hero of the Horn

Frenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Frenzy Send a message via Yahoo to Frenzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
I kinda wish Obama would just do a recess appointment. Surely the senate leader refusing to consider any nomination without even knowing who the nominees would be is reason enough.
All that would do is fuel the "King Obama" rhetoric on the right and give idiots like Cruz political fodder. The president should do what's his responsibility is to do: follow the normal process, and let the Republicans hang themselves out to dry.

"How the hell do you Godwin a thread with CUCUMBERS!!?" -- Tru

"I love cucumber prawn... " -- Ivhon

"Have to catch me first. Scared shitless always outruns mad as hell." -- Sinistrum

"Some days I'm happy Frenzy doesn't live next door." -- Tamyrlin

"So Frenzy is a scientist then?" -- Davian
"Well duh. An Evil scientist. " -- Khoram
Old 02-15-2016, 04:12 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy View Post
All that would do is fuel the "King Obama" rhetoric on the right and give idiots like Cruz political fodder. The president should do what's his responsibility is to do: follow the normal process, and let the Republicans hang themselves out to dry.
Or, alternatively, let them break their word and have them confirm an appointment anyway. Obama basically can't lose here by following the rules, and the Republicans can't win by doing so.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:21 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy View Post
All that would do is fuel the "King Obama" rhetoric on the right and give idiots like Cruz political fodder.
Hence the "kinda".
Old 02-15-2016, 03:26 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

I loved the complete lack of response from Southpaw on any of the Bork criticisms...since he once again can't respond on any of stupid talking points that he just repeats without grasping there might be another side to it.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 02-15-2016, 04:25 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
I loved the complete lack of response from Southpaw on any of the Bork criticisms...since he once again can't respond on any of stupid talking points that he just repeats without grasping there might be another side to it.
There was also the irony of accusing those of us who think that the constitution should be malleable enough to grow and adapt (and if it should not be capable of such what exactly is the point of the founders immediately allowing for and creating amendments) of being tyrants who spit on the sanctity of law, while at the same time supporting the Republican calls for stealing Obama's right to nominate Scalia's successor simply because they don't like him. Can you imagine the vitriol on the right if this was reversed? If it was a Republican president in his last year, Ginsburg dead, and a dem controlled Senate blockading the Republican's right to nominate? They would be livid, and screaming tyranny.
Old 02-15-2016, 06:21 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Bork was probably the worst nomination to the Court in the last 100 years. He was as corrupt as corrupt could be. He was neck deep with Nixon and had previously attempted to buy his way into a SCOTUS seat with his actions under him. The thought of letting him near the Supreme Court is disgusting. It'd be up there with putting Aaron Burr in charge of anything after his machinations. It simply couldn't happen. Reagan should have been ashamed to even consider nominating him. One of the greatest things Ted Kennedy ever did was stop that nomination. The man had a lot of flaws but he hit 1.000 that day at least.

Southpaw should know all that, of course but his Breitbart talking point of "but, but, but Bork!?!" was just too easy for him to post.

A lot of the "pundits" have Loretta Lynch as a favorite for the Court...Personally, not a huge fan of that idea.

One wacky note that is not to be taken seriously...under the Constitution, Obama could nominate himself and serve concurrently on both the Court and as President. There's nothing to stop it actually as its not spelled out as forbidden anywhere. Obviously, no Senate on earth would ever go for it, nor should they but how "funny" would that be. Of course, the entire notion is very Banana Republic-esque and should never be considered.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 02-15-2016, 06:56 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
A lot of the "pundits" have Loretta Lynch as a favorite for the Court...Personally, not a huge fan of that idea.
He should suggest someone that would be nigh impossible for them to deny with any plausible cover. You mentioned the name earlier - Sri Srinivasan. His confirmation vote to the DC Court of Appeals was 97-0. And he's only 48. And, let's be honest. There is no way in hell the Republicans will accept any black candidate, so Loretta Lynch is even less of an option than picking himself. Lynch was already a fight just for Attorney General. She would be an automatic rejection. With Srinivasan, they all must have known when they voted to confirm him unanimously to the Appeals Court in 2013 that he was becoming an an obvious candidate for down the road to the SC. They'd thus be forced to rationalize not just changing their vote, but to do so without any reasonable justification.

Force them to be seen in all eyes, even their own, to be schmucks. Force them to face and understand that they must either finally act like adults and do their job ethically, or else recognize that they have murdered the last hope of ever reconciling the two increasingly disparate flocks. If they continue on this path, divorce seems inevitable.

Last edited by Kimon; 02-15-2016 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-15-2016, 06:59 PM
Hero of the Horn

The pundits seem to think that Lynch would definitely be shot down but that Obama would do it to make them look bad for shooting down a well-qualified black woman.

I'd rather he just go with Sri as a very well qualified candidate who they couldn't attack. But its gonna be ugly no matter what.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:31 PM
Youngling

fionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant future

Frankly, I think Obama shouldn't play politics on this. Yes, there are potential Latino and African American judges who would be politically beneficial to the Democratic Party. But picking those to harm Republicans in the election is basically accepting that the SC nomination is a political football.

Instead, he should nominate someone who he thinks will be a good person for the job, who is moderate and well respected with an impeccable record. Then when the GOP does its usual bullshit, it will be easier to point to the public that such obstructionism is why neither the Senate nor the White House belongs in GOP hands.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:32 PM
Ancient

I'm actually surprised it took this long for them to start floating the idea that Obama assassinated him...

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...scalias-death/
Old 02-16-2016, 12:19 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

I thought it was going to be Hillary, since they've already accused her of murder.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:46 AM
Hero of the Horn

Frenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Frenzy Send a message via Yahoo to Frenzy

Quote:
Dude, i'm still waiting on him to respond to me asking him last June why he thought the law should make every woman in this nation have fewer rights than corpses. Obviously i'm not holding my breath.

"How the hell do you Godwin a thread with CUCUMBERS!!?" -- Tru

"I love cucumber prawn... " -- Ivhon

"Have to catch me first. Scared shitless always outruns mad as hell." -- Sinistrum

"Some days I'm happy Frenzy doesn't live next door." -- Tamyrlin

"So Frenzy is a scientist then?" -- Davian
"Well duh. An Evil scientist. " -- Khoram
Old 02-16-2016, 01:57 AM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

I used to get really annoyed by this bullshit of his, but I eventually realized that he really can't think for himself. For him to respond, we would need to wait for our questions and rebuttals to penetrate the Right's censors and actually be heard by enough of the base that a talking head feels the need to respond to them. Only then could Southpaw parrot his response.

Southpaw is a parrot.
Once you accept that, in your heart, you will know peace.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:58 AM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unreasoner View Post
I used to get really annoyed by this bullshit of his, but I eventually realized that he really can't think for himself. For him to respond, we would need to wait for our questions and rebuttals to penetrate the Right's censors and actually be heard by enough of the base that a talking head feels the need to respond to them. Only then could Southpaw parrot his response.

Southpaw is a parrot.
Someday. Someday he will parrot what I say and vengeance will be mine!
Lord Captain Commander of Singing Chipmunks
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 02-16-2016, 06:10 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

seriously, you guys should simply scrap the current precedent-based and therefore ridiculously contradiction-riddled system and switch to the Napoleonic model.

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 02-16-2016, 07:57 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by yks 6nnetu hing View Post
seriously, you guys should simply scrap the current precedent-based and therefore ridiculously contradiction-riddled system and switch to the Napoleonic model.
Yeah but we have like 1000 years of legal precedent at this point if you include English Common Law...so it'd be kinda impossible for us to do that.

Besides Napeoleon was one of those French people and all foreigners are evil but the ones that have weird scary accents are even more so.

Old 02-16-2016, 07:58 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unreasoner View Post

Southpaw is a parrot.
I just think its funny that he literally lifts every single one of his talking points from either The Blaze or Breitbart...and its usually word for word. That's when he's not just outright hyperlinking to either site.

Old 02-16-2016, 01:46 PM
Hero of the Horn

Looks like we might be getting a name from Obama this afternoon. I'm sure he already had a shortlist prepared; all he had to do was figure out which candidate would be better for this particular political climate.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:01 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
Looks like we might be getting a name from Obama this afternoon. I'm sure he already had a shortlist prepared; all he had to do was figure out which candidate would be better for this particular political climate.
Loretta Lynch is my guess.

Old 02-16-2016, 02:10 PM
Hero of the Horn

I don't really have a guess. I think Lynch would be a good pick politically, but I suspect Obama wants to keep her at Justice.