art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > Theoryland Re-Read
User Name
Password

Old 08-21-2014, 11:22 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
No. Elayne isn't because the letter is actually what it says it is...she just wants her mother to stop worrying/bothering the WT. Morgase isn't because she's literally too dazed and confused to do so due to Rahvin's compulsion. The Sheriam comment is her wishing she could escape to someone, in her mind, who could help her with advice the way "Sheriam" did when she was a Novice.
Sheriam was an Accepted in New Spring. Which, admittedly, hadn't been written yet when TDR appeared.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:44 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Sheriam was an Accepted in New Spring. Which, admittedly, hadn't been written yet when TDR appeared.
Yes, I know...just as I'm aware this entire issue was a major whoopsy/retcon by RJ when he just had to make Sheriam an Accepted in New Spring.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 08-22-2014, 02:34 AM
Elder

rand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Remember that she did a ton of crash research on all of the Forsaken during her time at Vandenes/Andeleas home early in TGH. One of those texts could have had a physical description of him (shorter, blonde hair, distinctive facial scar) and she was able to put 2 and 2 together. "Hmm, there's a brand new lord here in Illian that appeared out of nowhere and I know for a fact he's not a real Illianer Lord...and hey, he matches that desciption of Sammael I read last year."
That works for Sammael, but what about Be'lal later on? Loial's brief description of him is more than she already knew, implying she doesn't know what he looks like. And since Lan has to plan a way into the Stone later when she goes to kill Be'lal, it implies she hasn't been in the Stone yet and so hasn't seen him anyway.

Ok, I finished tDR.

I noticed that Perrin is bothered by the heat and humidity in Illian and Tear, but is described as being completely unphased by the heat in the Blight back in tEotW.

I thought this line was interesting from Moiraine:
Quote:
tDR 50
"Remain close to the inn," she said after a moment. "Tear can be a dangerous city for those who do not know its ways. The Pattern can be torn, here." That last was soft, as if to herself. In a stronger voice she said, "Lan, let us see what we can discover without attracting attention. The rest of you, stay close to the inn!"
What does she mean, that the Pattern can be torn in Tear?

A little further on we get this from Perrin at the forge:
Quote:
tDR 50
He held it near the end; hot metal gave off sparks, sometimes, and he had seen the scars on the hands of the smith from up at Roundhill, a careless fellow.
Where's Roundhill? I'm guessing it's supposed to be Watch Hill, unless blacksmiths from outside the Two Rivers commonly came in to show off their scars.

Moiraine says she learned balefire in the past year, and even specifically says she hadn't known it yet when she got everyone out of Emond's Field. So when did she learn it? She's absent for a good chunk of time in tGH: before the story starts she's away, then she leaves for Vandene and Adeleas' house, then she implies she wandered around Toman Head and Falme a bit before meeting up with Rand's group. Is it something she could have just learned in a book? Did she just do it by accident the first time, like Nynaeve and Rand? Did she somehow see someone do it?

I never thought to wonder this before, but how did Moiraine and Lan sneak into the Stone? All the doors are guarded, and I'm assuming they didn't scale the walls. I guess Moiraine could have blown a hole in the side or widen an arrow slit with the Power, but as she says before, she doesn't want to use the Power incase Be'lal or someone senses it and attacks.

The inn that Mat stays at is the White Crescent, and Perrin's is the Star. I know the crescent is on the flag of Tear, but white, crescents, and stars are all symbols of Lanfear.

I never noticed before that Egwene's dress color alternates between blue and green each time she's in TAR. Is this symbolic of a decision to join either the Blue or Green Ajah? I didn't think that was really much of a struggle for her, so it could be something else.

Who are all the people Perrin has to fight through to get to Faile in TAR? Just random Darkfriends that got sucked into the dream or something?

When Rand's battling Be'lal, he thinks this:
Quote:
tDR 55
But was he truly the Dragon Reborn? If he raced to touch Callandor in truth, not in a dream, would his hand meet an invisible wall while Be'lal cut him down from behind?
This line implies that Rand tried to touch Callandor in TAR before, but is it saying that:
1) His hand always met the invisible wall in TAR, and he's hoping it won't now.
or
2) He was able to touch Callandor in TAR, and he's hoping he still can in real life.

Where did Lan go in the big battle? Mat says he saw him fighting somewhere. Did he really just let Moiraine attack one of the Forsaken by herself?

FWIW, the battle between Rand and Ishamael, with Rand chasing Ishamael and Ishamael trying desperately to change TAR around Rand, is one of my favorite fight scenes in the series.

And a couple random things from the glossary:

There are two different ways to pronounce Ogier: under "Ogier" it's pronounced "OH-gehr," but under "stedding" it's pronounced "OH-geer." I've always said it the second way.

The entry for "Forsaken" lists examples of Lanfear, Be'lal, Sammael, Asmodean, Rahvin, and Ishamael. As far as I can remember, these six, along with Aginor and Balthamel, are the only ones mentioned in the series up till this point. The significance is that they've all appeared in the book--even Rahvin, though he isn't identified--except for Asmodean. This could just be preparing the reader for when he pops up in the next book, but is it possible Asmodean is in tDR in disguise somewhere?
Old 08-22-2014, 04:45 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand View Post
I thought this line was interesting from Moiraine:

What does she mean, that the Pattern can be torn in Tear?
It may be that there is a possibility the DR would be defeated and a Forsaken could get his hands on Callandor. If that happened, then the Pattern could conceivably be torn apart. Especially if it's Ishamael who gets the StinaS. Having a bunch of ta'veren close to each other may increase the odds of something like this happening.

Quote:
A little further on we get this from Perrin at the forge:

Where's Roundhill? I'm guessing it's supposed to be Watch Hill, unless blacksmiths from outside the Two Rivers commonly came in to show off their scars.
Obviously, Roundhill was torn from the Pattern while they were in Tear, which is why it isn't there anymore in the rest of the series.

Quote:
The entry for "Forsaken" lists examples of Lanfear, Be'lal, Sammael, Asmodean, Rahvin, and Ishamael. As far as I can remember, these six, along with Aginor and Balthamel, are the only ones mentioned in the series up till this point. The significance is that they've all appeared in the book--even Rahvin, though he isn't identified--except for Asmodean. This could just be preparing the reader for when he pops up in the next book, but is it possible Asmodean is in tDR in disguise somewhere?
Probably not, but it is an interesting possibility nonetheless.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:05 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This line implies that Rand tried to touch Callandor in TAR before, but is it saying that:
1) His hand always met the invisible wall in TAR, and he's hoping it won't now.
or
2) He was able to touch Callandor in TAR, and he's hoping he still can in real life.
Not all of his dreams occur in TAR...he also has regular dreams (that are likely planted by Ishy or Be'lal, the Pattern, etc) about holding Callandor.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 08-22-2014, 05:00 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Good catch. Watch Hill is Roundhill in some of the early notes. Deven Ride was also Parry Coomb at some point.

Quote:
Who are all the people Perrin has to fight through to get to Faile in TAR? Just random Darkfriends that got sucked into the dream or something?
Either that or constructs of the dream.

Quote:
It's doubtful. RJ dithered for a long time on the names of the Forsaken; he probably just added Asmodean there because he had decided it was a good one, and had maybe begun to craft a backstory for him. The others, he hadn't decided on yet, and there were some alternative names in the early notes, a couple of which were truly terrible.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:23 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Good catch. Watch Hill is Roundhill in some of the early notes. Deven Ride was also Parry Coomb at some point.
LOL...that's funny. I always just assumed it was the name of some random village north of the Tarendrelle...one of those villages that Egwene mentions in passing when she talks of leaving Emond's Field early on in tEotW. Never even occurred to me it was a typo.

Old 08-24-2014, 02:26 AM
Elder

rand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant future

I haven't read much the past couple days, but a few random thoughts about the tSR prologue (which is guess is really chapter 1):

When Min returns to the Tower she has all the viewings of Aes Sedai and Warders dying on the same day, and later she sees Gawyn with a bloody face and thinks this will happen on the same day as well. Which is all fine, this is Elaida's coup. But Min also sees viewings that shows several AS getting captured by the Seanchan, and from what Min tells Siuan she thinks all the AS deaths in one day will be due to a Seanchan attack. In reality these are of course two separate events. Does Min just subconsciously think that the Seanchan attacks must occur on the same day as all the AS and Warder deaths she knows will happen on the same day? Basically what I'm saying is, Min should have been able to separate the attacks that would occur all in one day (Elaida's coup) from the Seanchan attack. But she just lumps it all together despite her viewings presumably contradicting this.

Min also has a viewing of Gawyn with a heron marked sword. Does he ever get one (I forget)? Or does it his just have to do with his "relationship" with Rand? Or even his death while fighting Demandred?

A random thing I just realized...Lan doesn't have herons on his sword. It's apparently the traditional sword all Malkieri kings use, though, so I guess that's not unusual.

I don't remember everything we learn of the Sea Folk later on in the series, but I find it a little odd that they have a governor who lives in a manor house on Cantorin (the island Suorth takes over). I don't really picture them living in mansions.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:21 AM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

Min's viewing might refer to the Seanchan attack. I don't recall if Gawyn was actually injured during that event, but it does seem likely that many sisters were killed as well as captured during that event, even with the Seanchan being careful not to injure marath'damane.

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known
Old 08-24-2014, 04:38 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
When Min returns to the Tower she has all the viewings of Aes Sedai and Warders dying on the same day, and later she sees Gawyn with a bloody face and thinks this will happen on the same day as well. Which is all fine, this is Elaida's coup. But Min also sees viewings that shows several AS getting captured by the Seanchan, and from what Min tells Siuan she thinks all the AS deaths in one day will be due to a Seanchan attack. In reality these are of course two separate events. Does Min just subconsciously think that the Seanchan attacks must occur on the same day as all the AS and Warder deaths she knows will happen on the same day? Basically what I'm saying is, Min should have been able to separate the attacks that would occur all in one day (Elaida's coup) from the Seanchan attack. But she just lumps it all together despite her viewings presumably contradicting this.
One factor is probably that she doesn't know what day it will be. And then there's the fact that she needs to interpret things, and can make mistakes there (witness her viewing of Moiraine, which she thought was impossible for a long time).
She sees a couple of AS viewings relating to Elaida's coup, and notices "they'll be on the same day". She sees a couple of AS who will be captured by the Seanchan, and sees "that will happen on the same day". The thing which she fails to spot is that those need not be the same "same day".
Old 08-24-2014, 04:40 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I haven't read much the past couple days, but a few random thoughts about the tSR prologue (which is guess is really chapter 1):

When Min returns to the Tower she has all the viewings of Aes Sedai and Warders dying on the same day, and later she sees Gawyn with a bloody face and thinks this will happen on the same day as well. Which is all fine, this is Elaida's coup. But Min also sees viewings that shows several AS getting captured by the Seanchan, and from what Min tells Siuan she thinks all the AS deaths in one day will be due to a Seanchan attack. In reality these are of course two separate events.
RJ often does this with Min's viewings. When she was actually seeing the viewings, she was very clear in her head about which events would happen on the same day, or at most one day apart. When she told Siuan about it, she said "most" of what she saw would happen on the same day, or at most one day apart. Beyond that, she goes into interpretation. She's clear about that, too, though; if she was certain that all those events would happen on the same day, then she would have been certain that they could expect a Seanchan attack, and she was not certain. When Siuan said that she feared it would be the Black Ajah, Min had no reason to contradict her because of her lack of certainty that the collaring of the one Aes Sedai and the attack would be the same event. This is how RJ was able to read his leaders astray without lying to them.

Quote:
Does Min just subconsciously think that the Seanchan attacks must occur on the same day as all the AS and Warder deaths she knows will happen on the same day? Basically what I'm saying is, Min should have been able to separate the attacks that would occur all in one day (Elaida's coup) from the Seanchan attack. But she just lumps it all together despite her viewings presumably contradicting this.
Her viewings don't contradict the possibility that the attacks would occur on the same day. They just don't confirm it, leaving room for Min to interpret it that way. There's nothing to say that she should have been able to definitively separate the events, from what we know of her talent. Sometimes she can; sometimes she can't.

Quote:
Min also has a viewing of Gawyn with a heron marked sword. Does he ever get one (I forget)? Or does it his just have to do with his "relationship" with Rand? Or even his death while fighting Demandred?
She couldn't tell if he was holding the sword or if it was threatening him, and he faced Hammar on the day of the attack. (He didn't take his sword.)

Quote:
A random thing I just realized...Lan doesn't have herons on his sword. It's apparently the traditional sword all Malkieri kings use, though, so I guess that's not unusual.
Justice also had no herons. That's why we had to ask if Lan was officially a blademaster before he killed Toram Riatin. (Obviously he was good enough long before; it was just a matter of whether he'd had witnesses confirm it in the acceptable ways: one-on-one defeat of a blademaster, or approval by a panel of five blademasters).

Quote:
I don't remember everything we learn of the Sea Folk later on in the series, but I find it a little odd that they have a governor who lives in a manor house on Cantorin (the island Suorth takes over). I don't really picture them living in mansions.
They don't really; it's considered a low and frustrating task for whoever is assigned to it, kind of like guard duty at an outpost in Siberia.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:48 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
She sees a couple of AS viewings relating to Elaida's coup, and notices "they'll be on the same day". She sees a couple of AS who will be captured by the Seanchan, and sees "that will happen on the same day".
She doesn't actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSR
Blood and skull and halo faded away in the dance of images around the three, came and faded again. The petitioners stared in awe, seeing only three women who could touch the True Source and channel the One Power. No one but Min saw the rest. No one but Min knew those three women were going to die. All on the same day. [...]

Another Accepted came to replace one already there, and to Min's eyes bars floated in front of her apple-cheeked face, like a cage. Sheriam, the Mistress of Novices, looked into the hall after one glance, Min kept her gaze on the stone under her feet; Sheriam knew her all too well and the red-haired Aes Sedai's face seemed battered and bruised. It was only the viewing, of course, but Min still had to bite her lip to stifle a gasp. Sheriam, with her calm authority and sureness, was as indestructible as the Tower. Surely nothing could harm Sheriam. But something was going to.

An Aes Sedai unknown to Min, wearing the shawl of the Brown Ajah, accompanied a stout woman in finely woven red wool to the doors. The stout woman walked as lightly as a girl, face shining, almost laughing with pleasure. The Brown sister was smiling, too, but her aura faded like a guttering candle flame.

Death. Wounds, captivity, and death. To Min it might as well have been printed on a page. [...]

Few people walked the broad corridors that spiraled upward with their brightly colored floor tiles, and their wall hangings and golden lamp stands the Tower had been built to hold far greater numbers than it did now but nearly everyone she saw as she climbed higher wore an image or aura that spoke to her of violence and danger.

Warders hurried by with barely a glance for the two women, men who moved like hunting wolves, their swords only an afterthought to their deadliness, but they seemed to have bloody faces, or gaping wounds. Swords and spears danced about their heads, threatening. Their auras flashed wildly, flickered on the knife edge of death. She saw dead men walking, knew they would die on the same day as the Aes Sedai in the entry hall, or at most a day later. Even some of the servants, men and women with the Flame of Tar Valon on their breasts, hurrying about their work, bore signs of violence. An Aes Sedai glimpsed down a side hallway appeared to have chains in the air around her, and another, crossing the corridor ahead of Min and her guide, seemed for most of those few strides to wear a silver collar around her neck. Min's breath caught at that; she wanted to scream.
Those are the only times she thinks of events happening on the same day until her conversation with Siuan, which as I said above did not imply that the collaring would necessarily happen on the same day of the attack. That was just Min's fear. If she was certain, she wouldn't have suggested the Whitecloaks as a possible source of the attack.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:27 AM
Elder

When Mat's playing chop, the Ruler of Coins and Ruler of Winds aren't identified. Any idea who they are? Or is the deck different in every nation (ie, Illian wouldn't have a High Lord of Tear as the Ruler of Cups)?

Are Rand, Mat, and Perrin's cocks just coincidence, or did something actually make them crow to coincide with the bubbles of evil? To me, it seems unlikely anyone could hear a rooster outside from within the Stone, especially in Rand's case, where it's specifically noted the walls are soundproof (which is why the Maidens don't hear the attack).

Perrin's battle with the axe is symbolic of, well, his battle with his axe. And Rand's battle with himself seems symbolic of his struggle with his own identity. But what about Mat getting attacked by the cards? Is it supposed to be symbolic of his struggle with his new-found luck? It doesn't seem like much of battle for him. And I'm guessing the fact that he kills the Amyrlin, a High Lord, and the Queen of Andor isn't foreshadowing of anything...?

Before Berelain comes in, Rand has a dream. Right before he wakes up he sees this:
Quote:
tDR 2
"Come back," Elayne called, lifting a slim arm to beckon. "Do you not deserve what you want for a change?"

He shifted his feet, wanting to move but unable to decide which way. What he wanted. The words sounded strange. What did he want? He raised a hand to his face, to wipe away what felt like sweat. Festering flesh almost obliterated the heron branded on his palm; white bone showed through red-edged gaps.
What's up with his hand? Presumably it's his right hand that he would use to wipe his face, so not the one that eventually gets blown off.

Not sure if I ever thought about this before, but why is there an arranged marriage set up between Rand and Egwene? This doesn't seem to necessarily be common practice in the Two Rivers. Mat and Perrin aren't told who they're supposed to marry.

I guess the statue of wolves attacking a stag is another preemptive asoiaf reference...

At the end of tDR Berelain arranged to have dinner with Rand, but in his PoV in tSR he thinks that he's never said more than two words to her. So either the dinner never happened or he wasn't very talkative during it.

In his fight with the reflections, shouldn't the fiery swords have done more to Rand then simply cut him? The fire isn't just a cool effect; in the part of tDR where Rand cuts off the woman's head and kills her guards, he says that a scabbard would do no good with this sword because it would "turn it to ash at a touch." That's pretty hot, but there's no mention of serious burns on Rand's body, not to mention the fact that the whole room should be on fire.

When Perrin and Faile run across Berelain right after the attack, Faile talks about Berelain and says she "...is not interested in hunting a bear, however fine his hide would look stretched on a wall. She hunts the sun." I guess the sun thing could be a double foreshadowing, of Berelain's brief rule in Cairhien and later her relationship with Galad (sunbursts on WCs).

On thing I just thought of...does Faile ever really meet Rand? When she leaves Perrin after they see Berelain, she mentions that she hadn't met Rand up to that point. Does she ever really meet him at another point in the series?

Aiel always call people by the their full names. I'm guessing it's nothing, but both Bain and Rhuarc call Perrin simply "Perrin."
Old 08-25-2014, 04:48 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Perrin's battle with the axe is symbolic of, well, his battle with his axe. And Rand's battle with himself seems symbolic of his struggle with his own identity. But what about Mat getting attacked by the cards? Is it supposed to be symbolic of his struggle with his new-found luck? It doesn't seem like much of battle for him. And I'm guessing the fact that he kills the Amyrlin, a High Lord, and the Queen of Andor isn't foreshadowing of anything...?
I would guess that Mat's battle is symbolic for his relationship with nobles.

Quote:
What's up with his hand? Presumably it's his right hand that he would use to wipe his face, so not the one that eventually gets blown off.
At a guess, that's a nightmare of suffering the consequences of the Taint.

Quote:
At the end of tDR Berelain arranged to have dinner with Rand, but in his PoV in tSR he thinks that he's never said more than two words to her. So either the dinner never happened or he wasn't very talkative during it.
Berelain arranged it by ordering Moiraine to inform Rand. That may not have worked particularly well, so odds are that Rand never even knew about this appointment.

Quote:
In his fight with the reflections, shouldn't the fiery swords have done more to Rand then simply cut him? The fire isn't just a cool effect; in the part of tDR where Rand cuts off the woman's head and kills her guards, he says that a scabbard would do no good with this sword because it would "turn it to ash at a touch." That's pretty hot, but there's no mention of serious burns on Rand's body, not to mention the fact that the whole room should be on fire.
The reflections were not quite as powerful as Rand, so I would guess that their swords were less effective as well.

Quote:
On thing I just thought of...does Faile ever really meet Rand? When she leaves Perrin after they see Berelain, she mentions that she hadn't met Rand up to that point. Does she ever really meet him at another point in the series?
She sort of meets him when she and Perrin arrive in Caemlyn, and she presumably meets him a couple of more times there too.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:07 AM
Elder

As far as I can remember, Joiya Byir is the first Gray AS named in the series. The only other times the Gray Ajah is mentioned are basically when it says "all Ajahs were present" or something and you just have to assume there were Grays hanging around. And at this point I still don't think we've been told the Grays are mediators (though the glossary says they are). Did it just take RJ a while to figure out what they should do? Admittedly, I feel like this is the weakest Ajah in terms of function. Presumably the Blues have to do plenty of mediating.

How was Amico stilled by Egwene at the end of tDR? Does it have to do with breaking a shield, like how Rand stilled the AS holding his shield at Dumai's Wells?

What was Liandrin supposed to be doing in Tear? Her plan seems to be using Egwene and co. to lure Rand there, but how would she have known Egwene and the others would be the ones to chase her? Though I guess Verin knew... Also, Rand never finds out that they're holding the three girls, making their function as bait somewhat useless.

I know Nynaeve's block keeps her from being able to channel, but it's also said to keep her from being able to see the weaves. As a channeler, can you not see weaves unless you're actually holding the OP? I don't remember this being the case, so why would Nynaeve's block prevent her from even seeing weaves?

Moiraine mentions that Rand has a copy of the Propheices in the Old Tongue and wonders what he could possibly be doing with it. Is it possible Rand occasionally has a LTT episode and is able to subconsciously translate parts of it, helping him decide to go to Rhuidean?

Moiraine also says asking the Finn questions touching on the Shadow would result in dire consequences. She specifically says, "Days ago I could have asked what Rand must do to survive and triumph, how he can defeat the Forsaken and the Dark One, how can learn to control the Power and hold off madness long enough to do what he must." But doesn't Rand do almost exactly that? So was Moiraine just mistaken, or did Rand suffer "dire consequences?" Or did his ta'veren stuff kick in and save him?

I asked a while ago if Elayne knew the Old Tongue, because she didn't seem to understand Mat when he was being Healed. But when she and Egwene try to teach Rand about channeling, there's this:
Quote:
tSR 7
"What about the Old Tongue? Did you learn any of that in the White Tower?" Without waiting for an answer he began rooting through the volumes scattered across the carpet. There were more on the chairs, among the tumbled bedclothes. "I have a copy here...somewhere...of..."

"Rand." Egwene raised her voice. "Rand, I cannot read the Old Tongue." She shot a look at Elayne, warning her not to admit to any such knowledge. They had not come to translate the Prophecies of the Dragon for him. The sapphires in the Daughter-Heir's hair swayed as she nodded agreement. "We had other things to learn."
Granted, this is hardly conclusive evidence that Elayne knows the OT, but Egwene seems to believe Elayne could translate the Prophecies for Rand if needed. Though there's still a big difference between understanding another language written down and understanding Mat speak it out loud.

Rand tries to turn a handful of feathers into a flower for Elayne, and says he already did it once for the majhere. But can you use the OP to change an object from one thing to another? Or was he just using an Illusion and didn't know it?

I never noticed this before, but is Rand considering asking the Finnin Elayne actually loves him? Or just if there's a way he'd survive long enough to stay with her?:
Quote:
tSR 8 - just quoting the relevant parts
What did Elayne expect? [...] He liked Min as much. Or thought he did. It was impossible to sort out his feelings for either of them. [...] He liked both women, but beyond that...He had very nearly spent his whole life mooning after Egwene; he was not about to dive into that again until he was sure. Sure of something. Sure. If Dealings with the Territory of Mayene was to be believed...
When Lanfear's in his room and Rand sees the Gray Man, he also mentions "his belt knife lay on a table by the bed, together with a half-made fox he had been carving." is the fox in any way significant or symbolic?

Is the bond between a Fade and his Trollocs similar to the Warder bond? Was observation of the Trolloc bond how AS figured out their own version in the first place?
Old 08-26-2014, 03:59 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
How was Amico stilled by Egwene at the end of tDR? Does it have to do with breaking a shield, like how Rand stilled the AS holding his shield at Dumai's Wells?
No, no and yes.
In case that's not quite clear: it is not related to breaking the shield, neither with Amico nor at Dumai's Wells.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDR, Chapter 55, What is Written in Prophecy
She knew it was possible to cut a woman off from the True Source even if she had already embraced saidar, but severing a weave already established had to be much harder than damming the flow before it began. She set the patterns of the weaving, readied them, making the threads of Spirit much stronger, this time, thicker and heavier, a denser weave with a cutting edge like a knife.
What Egwene did here was intended to merely set a shield, but it had the result of cutting off Amico permanently; severing her. Rand did the same, only intentionally. Whether he or LTT was the one who intended the outcome he never really figured out.

Quote:
What was Liandrin supposed to be doing in Tear? Her plan seems to be using Egwene and co. to lure Rand there, but how would she have known Egwene and the others would be the ones to chase her? Though I guess Verin knew... Also, Rand never finds out that they're holding the three girls, making their function as bait somewhat useless.
Reread the start of chapter 55, and you'll see that Rand knew they were used as bait.

Quote:
I know Nynaeve's block keeps her from being able to channel, but it's also said to keep her from being able to see the weaves. As a channeler, can you not see weaves unless you're actually holding the OP? I don't remember this being the case, so why would Nynaeve's block prevent her from even seeing weaves?
Nynaeve's block is all about her denying to herself that she can channel, so it makes sense that it does not let her see the weaves either. If she could see them, that would be a clear sign that she was able to use them too.

Quote:
Moiraine also says asking the Finn questions touching on the Shadow would result in dire consequences. She specifically says, "Days ago I could have asked what Rand must do to survive and triumph, how he can defeat the Forsaken and the Dark One, how can learn to control the Power and hold off madness long enough to do what he must." But doesn't Rand do almost exactly that? So was Moiraine just mistaken, or did Rand suffer "dire consequences?" Or did his ta'veren stuff kick in and save him?
I think that his misinterpretation of the answers led him on the path towards Dark Rand, which was a pretty dire consequence.

Quote:
Rand tries to turn a handful of feathers into a flower for Elayne, and says he already did it once for the majhere. But can you use the OP to change an object from one thing to another? Or was he just using an Illusion and didn't know it?
He may have fused them together into a flower shape, like the plastic flowers that are available nowadays. It would be similar to what he did to the crown of Cairhien, after that broke when he tore it off Colavaere's head.

Quote:
Is the bond between a Fade and his Trollocs similar to the Warder bond? Was observation of the Trolloc bond how AS figured out their own version in the first place?
You are not the first to wonder about this. As far as I know, no one found evidence for or against it.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:57 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Granted, this is hardly conclusive evidence that Elayne knows the OT, but Egwene seems to believe Elayne could translate the Prophecies for Rand if needed. Though there's still a big difference between understanding another language written down and understanding Mat speak it out loud.
Its quite different to translate a page of writing than listen to an odd dialect of the same language that is being shouted loudly and very quickly. Elayne, due to her training as Daughter-Heir can likely at least read the Old Tongue and get the gist of it but hearing it is a bit different.

For example, I can read French for the most part or at least puzzle it out...I sure as hell cant speak it though outside of a few basic phrases. I have trouble understanding a French speaker too...unless they are speaking quite slowly and enunciating every word.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:17 PM
Hero of the Horn

Of course, Elayne, being a Daughter-Heir who knew she was falling in love with the Dragon Reborn may not have bothered to make any extra study of the OT while she was in the WT. Then again, maybe she did pay some extra attention to the Prophecies while she had the opportunity. Which seems more likely?
Old 08-27-2014, 02:11 AM
Elder

Egwene refuses to allow anyone to accompany her into TAR, and Nynaeve and Elayne seem to agree. But later on we find out they had Elayne test the two dream ter'angreal they got from the Black Ajah...

Back in tDR Perrin comes across Lanfear looking at papers in the wolf dream in some palace. The ceilings are painted like the sky with birds flying across it, which made me think of Ebou Dar. But Egwene's bedroom in the Stone seems to have a ceiling like this, so maybe Lanfear was going through papers there? It would make more sense considering it was in tDR.

I forgot there were more than the two access keys for the Choedan Kal (there's a broken one in the Panarch's Palace). What would happen if someone found another? Can two people channel through the CK at the same time with separate access keys?

Also, why does the access key seem familiar to Egwene? She didn't pass by the one in Cairhien. Is it just from a lecture in the WT or something?

While in TAR, Egwene mistakes the elephants skeleton for a boar and later mistakes the animal in the Waste for a boar. She even makes a joke about it. Is this supposed to be foreshadowing for her mistake about Gawyn (mistaking him as intelligent), since his symbol is a boar?

Amys says she sense evil in Tanchico: "This city is dying, eating itself. There is a darkness here, an evil. Worse than men can make. Or women." Is this really just the BA, as Egwene assumes. It seems a little dramatic even for Moghedien, though I'm guessing it refers to her presence there. The "dying" city "eating itself" almost sounds like Shadar Logoth.

Egwene and the others are shocked when Aviendha explains that two Aiel women can have the same husband, even though Bain and Chiad already told them two first-sisters can share a man back in tDR (where they had a similar reaction).

Faile doesn't seem to make any attempt to hide her name (the Bashere part, at least) from anyone, so does everyone but Perrin basically suspect who her Saldaean father really is?

In a flashback to the Trolloc attack, Mat remembers a Fade saying, "Time to die, Hornsounder." How did he know Mat blew the Horn? As far as I remember, the only DF that knows Mat blew the Horn is Verin...

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but does Min somehow have a weaker version of the power of the Finn that allows her to see parts of the Pattern? Like a genetic mutation or something?

Why do the Aelfinn give Mat three extra answers? It seems like they're desperate for him to leave, but they could have had the guards carry him out any time.

I forgot, do we still not know what Rand's third question was?

I do remember that one of Rand's questions concerned cleansing the taint. What did they tell him? Did they just say "use the Choedan Kal things," or did they give him a detailed description of how to do it?

Something that also occurred to me...if Rand had gone into the doorway in Rhuidean and asked them to cleanse the taint for him, would they have the power to do that (consequences for Rand aside)? Could he ask them to defeat the DO for him?

Do we ever get any indication of what Moiraine's questions were?

When Lan barges into the room and gets mad at Nynaeve for tricking him, Nynaeve makes a joke about using the Amyrlin's letters to make him dance, and Elayne remembers that that is what she said right after they got the letters from Siuan. But Elayne wasn't there for that meeting.

I never noticed before that by killing Taringail, Thom killed Moiraine's older brother. Well, half-brother. I guess she didn't mind...

Does Moiraine ever tell Thom the names of the BA sisters who gentled Owyn illegally? Or is he still left hanging by the end of aMoL? How does Moiraine know all the names anyway?

Moiraine's letter to Thom (the one she sends before she goes through the doorway with Lanfear) expresses doubt that Mat and Thom can actually free her. Yet she knows she'll marry Thom from Min's viewing, and even uses this as assurance that Thom will survive Tanchico. So she should know she'll be rescued at some point.

This is mentioned a lot in the middle part of the series, but why does the Blight retreat? Is it just the effects of the events at the Eye, or just the calm before the storm or something?

Do we ever find out what happened to the twelve AS and 1000 soldiers Siuan sent to recapture Taim?

Apparently Siuan tells Leanne about her conspiracy with Moiraine sometime between chapter 1 and chapter 17, because all of a sudden she seems to know everything.

Are there any theories as to who killed Sahra at the farm? Was it Alviarin, or just some irrelevant BA sister?
Old 08-27-2014, 05:12 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Something that also occurred to me...if Rand had gone into the doorway in Rhuidean and asked them to cleanse the taint for him, would they have the power to do that (consequences for Rand aside)? Could he ask them to defeat the DO for him?
Oh yes, he could. He definitely could ask. They couldn't manage it, of course, but that is something else entirely.

It does seem that they tried:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMoL, Chapter 25, Quick Fragments
Young Bull became Perrin, with hammer at the ready, crouching on the plain of fragmentary fighting, changing people. Careful, he thought to himself. You are a wolf but more a man. With a start, he realized that some of those impressions weren't completely human. He saw a couple that were distinctly snakelike in appearance, though they faded quickly.