art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - Non Wot Discussion Boards > Archived: Non WoT Related Discussion 09/09 - 9/10
User Name
Password

Old 04-22-2010, 08:59 AM
Hero of the Horn

Sarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to behold

Cats.

the Grey Viper, the Lord of Forsaken Roads, the Pink Sunset
Old 04-22-2010, 09:17 AM
Hero of the Horn

DahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to DahLliA

cat person. grown up with cats and just prefer animals that can take care of themselves most of the time instead of animals you have to walk etc...

'sides. cats are lazy, selfish bastards. so we fit quite nice together

"'Profound... huh.' Temper was silent for a long moment, studying the cobbles of the alley mouth. And then he lifted his helmed head, faced Shadowthrone, and said, 'Fuck off.'"
Old 04-22-2010, 09:53 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

dogs.

you know, sometimes I miss my dog more than I miss the rest of my family... combined.

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 04-22-2010, 10:59 AM
Hero of the Horn

Birgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Birgitte Send a message via MSN to Birgitte

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworiverswoman View Post
So... I'm just into fur, I guess.
~giggles~ Tru's a furry.

General of the Northern Border, Hero of Krieros Valley, the Coffinnail
Queen of the TCA

"Sometimes I sit around... watching chat... and thinking...sh*t... I created this madness." -- Lord of the Board
Old 04-22-2010, 11:45 AM
Hero of the Horn

Crispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birgitte View Post
~giggles~ Tru's a furry.
I wasn't going to say anything, but...

My only requirement for cats is that they're self-assured. Our fourth cat--the one who didn't pee on stuff--was the most confident cat or animal I've ever seen. He ruled the house, including the two dogs he lived with in his life, both of whom outweighed him by 40-50 lbs.

He would sit on the couch and wait for the dog to walk by, then casually smack the dog in the face. Unfortunately, he did it one time with our Airedale terrier and got his claws caught in her wiry face fur. That was hilarious to watch.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:52 AM
Hero of the Horn

Ivhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Ivhon Send a message via Yahoo to Ivhon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispin's Crispian View Post
I wasn't going to say anything, but...

My only requirement for cats is that they're self-assured. Our fourth cat--the one who didn't pee on stuff--was the most confident cat or animal I've ever seen. He ruled the house, including the two dogs he lived with in his life, both of whom outweighed him by 40-50 lbs.

He would sit on the couch and wait for the dog to walk by, then casually smack the dog in the face. Unfortunately, he did it one time with our Airedale terrier and got his claws caught in her wiry face fur. That was hilarious to watch.
Heheh...an ex-girlfriend had the coolest cat I have ever encountered. BEAST of a tom (20+ pounds - mostly balls and muscle) - mostly outdoor, procured his own food. Got in fights with the dogs all the time - once or twice would be bathing a claw with a nipped ear while the dogs were whining with shredded faces. We would meet him on the porch (only came inside when it was really cold) and just hang out.

The super-cool thing about this already badass cat, though, was that one time (right before we broke up), I was down on the farm and he comes up to the porch with this parade of kittens following him. The ex-gf poured some milk, and he gently nudged the littluns over there to drink (which is NOT s.o.p. for male cats).

Proud owner of the first post on TL's VBulletin forum (sorry...I had ta )

Greeter Emeritus

Last edited by Ivhon; 04-22-2010 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:20 PM
Elder

Yellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Anyway, Yellowbeard: i wouldn't've interrupted the cat's hunt. If it's eating what it catches, then you have a little microcosm of the wild in your house. Then again, if your chipmunk population is small, then your cat is likely negatively impacting it. But if small woodland creatures abound in your neighborhood, then a little predation doesn't hurt much. Keeps them honest.
yeah, he was an awfully happy looking cat while he was messing w/ that chipmonk. he was pissy this morning though...he got locked in the garage overnight. there's food, water and litterbox, but he'd rather be out terrorizing vermin.

my house has a big wooded area and drainage ditch behind it. small woodland creatures of all varieties are in great abundance. along with snakes, birds of prey, etc. we've seen hawks take out smaller birds, squirrels, mice, chipmonks, etc. seen a snake grab a few a mice too. all from the comfort of my back deck, which is elevated to provide a nice view.

it's like having my own little version of discovery channel. i sit up on the deck sometimes and plink away at some cans and big plastic bottles i have set up w/ my bb gun. or plink at the deer that wander thru...or rabbits...squirrels...
Old 04-22-2010, 01:33 PM
Hero of the Horn

Ivhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowbeard View Post
yeah, he was an awfully happy looking cat while he was messing w/ that chipmonk. he was pissy this morning though...he got locked in the garage overnight. there's food, water and litterbox, but he'd rather be out terrorizing vermin.

my house has a big wooded area and drainage ditch behind it. small woodland creatures of all varieties are in great abundance. along with snakes, birds of prey, etc. we've seen hawks take out smaller birds, squirrels, mice, chipmonks, etc. seen a snake grab a few a mice too. all from the comfort of my back deck, which is elevated to provide a nice view.

it's like having my own little version of discovery channel. i sit up on the deck sometimes and plink away at some cans and big plastic bottles i have set up w/ my bb gun. or plink at the deer that wander thru...or rabbits...squirrels...
I encourage you to not plink at animals. Either kill em or let em be, but don't torment.

Greeter Emeritus
Old 04-22-2010, 01:41 PM
Hero of the Horn

Jokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Jokeslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispin's Crispian View Post
He would sit on the couch and wait for the dog to walk by, then casually smack the dog in the face.
My parents' cat used to do that. After the cat died, the dog went back to walking as close to the sofa as possible. Then my parents got a new cat (who doesn't swipe at the dog) but the dog stopped walking near the sofa if the cat was around. If only he was as well trained in the things we want him to do.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:24 PM
Elder

One Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to all

Dogs all they way.

Mostly big dogs.

I have had:

2 Alaskan Malamutes
2 Siberian Huskeys
1 Springer Spaniel/German Shep. mix
1 Japanese Akita

Currently:
1 Chow/Golden Retriever mix

My mom still has one of the Huskey's and the Akita. My wife have the Chow/Golden mix. When she passes I get to pick and I think I am going to go with another Malamute but maybe and Akita.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:34 PM
Hero of the Horn

jason wolfbrother has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to jason wolfbrother Send a message via MSN to jason wolfbrother Send a message via Yahoo to jason wolfbrother

Definitely a dog person. I grew up with a 1/2 German Shepherd 1/2 Doberman mix that was all love for me. Sheba rocked. Best dog I've ever seen.

Someday I hope to get a puppy of my own and raise it but for now I'm petless

Wash:"Things are about to get interesting"
Mal:"Define interesting..."
Wash:"Oh God! Oh God! We're all gonna die!?"

"If you are not living life on the edge, you are taking up too much space"
Old 04-22-2010, 03:10 PM
Hero of the Horn

DeiwosTheSkyGod is just really niceDeiwosTheSkyGod is just really niceDeiwosTheSkyGod is just really niceDeiwosTheSkyGod is just really niceDeiwosTheSkyGod is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Armed Gimp View Post
Currently:
1 Chow/Golden Retriever mix
My neighbors have one like that. Funny looking thing, with a Golden Retriever head poking out of that crazy Chow body. Nice dog, though.

I'm a huge dog person, too. Never had cats because my mom's allergic to them. We have an Australian Shepherd now who is simultaneously so smart and such an idiot. She's the funniest dog we've ever had.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:08 PM
Hero of the Horn

Matoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivhon View Post
I encourage you to not plink at animals. Either kill em or let em be, but don't torment.
This.

And best dogs ever: Goldendoodles. Seriously. No shedding, but have medium-length wavy hair. Smart as a poodle, loyal as a retriever. Great hunting dogs, great guard dogs. Not too big a dog for coming inside, and definitely not small. Also, very pretty, especially the Phantom coloration. Health-wise they gain ALL benefits of the poodle and ALL benefits of the Retriever, with NONE of the drawbacks.

@B: hehehe, I saw that right after she first posted it, but opted to be quiet. Figured someone else would poke fun at it, that way I could join in on the laughter without being the big 'ole jerk who mentioned it in the first place.

[Gawyn] probably pops his collar. - Kivo
Mat's hat is a Darkfriend. - Daekyras
Old 04-22-2010, 07:39 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matoyak View Post
This.

And best dogs ever: Goldendoodles. Seriously. No shedding, but have medium-length wavy hair. Smart as a poodle, loyal as a retriever. Great hunting dogs, great guard dogs. Not too big a dog for coming inside, and definitely not small. Also, very pretty, especially the Phantom coloration. Health-wise they gain ALL benefits of the poodle and ALL benefits of the Retriever, with NONE of the drawbacks.

@B: hehehe, I saw that right after she first posted it, but opted to be quiet. Figured someone else would poke fun at it, that way I could join in on the laughter without being the big 'ole jerk who mentioned it in the first place.
Not much of a dog person myself, but some folks that lived down the street from my old place had some cool dogs. Flat & Scruggs. Half Basset Hound, half golden retriever. Thems were some f*'ed up lookin dogs right there, boy:

Basset hound legs, torso and ears
Golden Retriever snouts/faces, tails and fur

Greeter Emeritus
Old 04-22-2010, 07:42 PM
Hero of the Horn

Matoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivhon View Post
Not much of a dog person myself, but some folks that lived down the street from my old place had some cool dogs. Flat & Scruggs. Half Basset Hound, half golden retriever. Thems were some f*'ed up lookin dogs right there, boy:

Basset hound legs, torso and ears
Golden Retriever snouts/faces, tails and fur
Eghad!

Old 04-22-2010, 07:57 PM
Hero of the Horn

Crispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond repute

Flatt and Scruggs. That's awesome. Did they bay in harmonies, too?
Old 04-22-2010, 08:24 PM
Hero of the Horn

Brita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond repute

At Ivhon and your loyal, dependent cats:

That's awesome! I have never really had a cat I truly bonded with. Maybe one is a dog or cat person depending which they have a better affinity with. I befriend pretty much every dog I meet. Cats, not so much. They always act a little strange with me. I had both growing up, and it was the same.

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. ― Anthony Bourdain
Old 04-22-2010, 08:25 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brita View Post
Cats, not so much. They always act a little strange with me. I had both growing up, and it was the same.
This. I have yet to meet a cat that actually likes me. I still like them though.
Almost every dog that isn't a Dachshund auto-likes me.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:58 PM
Elder

Yellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to behold

our hunter cat only seems to like men. it always jumps in my lap and ignores everyone else. been like that since it met me.

and the list of wildlife behind the house grows. last few nights have occasioned for some wild pigs to come by and make a godawful racket in the ditch out back. loud snorting, squealing, etc. like they're fighting each other, or something else.

hunter cat was safely up on the deck during the noisy altercation, just watching. had to turn on the lights and make a lot of human noises to get them to shut up and move on. might have to call animal control because those things can be aggressive and they make a huge mess of things.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:36 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Simon's cat.