art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7652

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - Non Wot Discussion Boards > Archived: Non WoT Related Discussion 09/09 - 9/10
User Name
Password

Old 04-28-2010, 01:26 AM
Hero of the Horn

Birgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Birgitte Send a message via MSN to Birgitte
Default Totally LIke Whatever

A friend of a friend wrote this poem and published it online. It's pretty interesting, so I decided to inflict it on the rest of you.

http://www.taylormali.com/index.cfm?webid=21

Quote:
Totally like whatever, you know?
By Taylor Mali
www.taylormali.com

In case you hadn't noticed,
it has somehow become uncool
to sound like you know what you're talking about?
Or believe strongly in what you're saying?
Invisible question marks and parenthetical (you know?)'s
have been attaching themselves to the ends of our sentences?
Even when those sentences aren't, like, questions? You know?

Declarative sentences - so-called
because they used to, like, DECLARE things to be true
as opposed to other things which were, like, not -
have been infected by a totally hip
and tragically cool interrogative tone? You know?
Like, don't think I'm uncool just because I've noticed this;
this is just like the word on the street, you know?
It's like what I've heard?
I have nothing personally invested in my own opinions, okay?
I'm just inviting you to join me in my uncertainty?

What has happened to our conviction?
Where are the limbs out on which we once walked?
Have they been, like, chopped down
with the rest of the rain forest?
Or do we have, like, nothing to say?
Has society become so, like, totally . . .
I mean absolutely . . . You know?
That we've just gotten to the point where it's just, like . . .
whatever!

And so actually our disarticulation . . . ness
is just a clever sort of . . . thing
to disguise the fact that we've become
the most aggressively inarticulate generation
to come along since . . .
you know, a long, long time ago!

I entreat you, I implore you, I exhort you,
I challenge you: To speak with conviction.
To say what you believe in a manner that bespeaks
the determination with which you believe it.
Because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker,
it is not enough these days to simply QUESTION AUTHORITY.
You have to speak with it, too.

Okay. It's not really a problem here so much as it is something I notice a LOT around me. But I was interested in hearing ya'll's thoughts on it anyway.

General of the Northern Border, Hero of Krieros Valley, the Coffinnail
Queen of the TCA

"Sometimes I sit around... watching chat... and thinking...sh*t... I created this madness." -- Lord of the Board
Old 04-28-2010, 04:36 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Meh. Britney already did that over 10 years ago.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:52 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the 20th century

Quote:
Postmodernism is a tendency in contemporary culture characterized by the rejection of objective truth and global cultural narrative. It emphasizes the role of language, power relations, and motivations; in particular it attacks the use of sharp classifications such as male versus female, straight versus gay, white versus black, and imperial versus colonial. Postmodernism has influenced many cultural fields, including literary criticism, linguistics, architecture, visual arts, and music.
in other words, there is no such thing as absolute truth. Everyone is right even when they're wrong.

apparently scientific thought does eventually end up in social behaviour. And yes, scientists have been getting increasingly annoyed with postmodernism in the last 20-30 years. New paradigm coming up... only question is, what will it be?

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 04-28-2010, 06:55 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Well, that one is obvious.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:08 AM
Hero of the Horn

Ivhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Ivhon Send a message via Yahoo to Ivhon

One of my classes this semester happens to be very heavy in recent graduates (i.e. early/mid 20's crowd). This is a counseling program and Im absolutely baffled as to how these people think they can be effective therapists when they are smacking their gum and talking like that? Maybe if they, like, whatever, only see clients under like 25?

The other thing they do is draw out their vowels to absurd lengths "uhhhmm, seeeeewwww, Iiii waslike thiinkiiiiiing? *smack gum* I have this freeehhhnd? Who like, has anor-exiaaaaaa? Seeeew, Im like, really interesteeeeehd? Seeew, I thought I'd like, dew my presentation on thaaaat?"

Oh and related annoying tv quote of the day: "Don't forget the good student discount!"

Proud owner of the first post on TL's VBulletin forum (sorry...I had ta )

Greeter Emeritus
Old 04-28-2010, 08:16 AM
Hero of the Horn

Mort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Mort

Once, many years ago, someone probably complained about the language that is seen as "normal" today.

Thoughts and ideas are ever changing. Language is the tool for expressing those thoughts, so naturally Language will change too.

We just have to learn to roll with it

Edit: Oh and Gonzo, I can't get your link to work. Seems to be a server issue.

"I discovered at an early age that if I talk long enough, I can make anything right or wrong. So either I am God, or truth is relative." - Jeff Winger, Community
----------

We rode on the winds of the rising storm, we ran to the sounds of thunder.
We danced among the lighting bolts, and tore the world asunder.

Last edited by Mort; 04-28-2010 at 08:19 AM.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:10 AM
Ancient

Oatman is just really niceOatman is just really niceOatman is just really niceOatman is just really niceOatman is just really niceOatman is just really nice

Quote:
Once, many years ago, someone probably complained about the language that is seen as "normal" today.
I constantly complain about this now.

Thoughts and idea's are ever changing, however the direction language is going leads to the exclusion of thoughts and idea's.
I guess in the sense that this language essentially expresses nothing, it is a good reflection of the thoughts and idea's of its speakers.
I avoid communicating with this type of person as much as I can. When I am forced to, I usually end up correcting them and mocking them, which never ends well.

"From the Oatman Prophecies."

Writer of the Breakfast Prophecies for the Lord of the Morning

RS is an idiot.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:22 AM
Hero of the Horn

Ivhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Ivhon Send a message via Yahoo to Ivhon

I also think that as one becomes an adult, one begins to speak like an adult. Part of the frustration comes from the age of adulthood getting progressively older.

I was just thinking back and I suppose I spent much of my undergrad years speaking in movie-quotes and "duuuude, sweeeet" vacuosity. So maybe I can't blame these kids too much. Unless they dont pull themselves together quick.

Proud owner of the first post on TL's VBulletin forum (sorry...I had ta )

Greeter Emeritus
Old 04-28-2010, 09:31 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
Edit: Oh and Gonzo, I can't get your link to work. Seems to be a server issue.
It works for me, for some reason. I can quote the relevant part, but I would prefer not to spoil the surprise.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:13 AM
Hero of the Horn

Brita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Well, that one is obvious.
Ha! That is so funny. I just listened to a radio program about this....new movement.

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. ― Anthony Bourdain
Old 04-28-2010, 10:53 AM
Hero of the Horn

Mort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Mort

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
It works for me, for some reason. I can quote the relevant part, but I would prefer not to spoil the surprise.
I get a: " 403 Forbidden. You do not have permission to access ...." message. Dunno what I do wrong

"I discovered at an early age that if I talk long enough, I can make anything right or wrong. So either I am God, or truth is relative." - Jeff Winger, Community
----------

We rode on the winds of the rising storm, we ran to the sounds of thunder.
We danced among the lighting bolts, and tore the world asunder.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:13 PM
Hero of the Horn

Birgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by yks 6nnetu hing View Post
in other words, there is no such thing as absolute truth. Everyone is right even when they're wrong.

apparently scientific thought does eventually end up in social behaviour. And yes, scientists have been getting increasingly annoyed with postmodernism in the last 20-30 years. New paradigm coming up... only question is, what will it be?
We had a debate on absolute truth in my Introduction to Literary Theory class when my professor was teaching Structuralism. My professor lost that debate. Turns out when you try to tell a room full of semi-intelligent college students just because not everyone would label a desk the same way, it doesn't exist, you just look like an idiot. Though, to be fair, it could be her stupid refusal to understand that we were saying there's a difference between the words used to describe something and the concept behind it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivhon View Post
One of my classes this semester happens to be very heavy in recent graduates (i.e. early/mid 20's crowd). This is a counseling program and Im absolutely baffled as to how these people think they can be effective therapists when they are smacking their gum and talking like that? Maybe if they, like, whatever, only see clients under like 25?
Nope. It annoys everyone I associate with at school (most of whom are under 25). My friend that linked me to the poem is so annoyed by her one professor that does it that she counted how many times her professor misused the word "like" in an hour (140 times. She used it correctly 14 times.). And it is genuinely frustrating to ask a professor a question and get a nothing answer or an "I don't know." "Really? Why are we paying you again?"

Quote:

Thoughts and ideas are ever changing. Language is the tool for expressing those thoughts, so naturally Language will change too.
My problem is that it's not expressing thought so much as the lack thereof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatman View Post
I constantly complain about this now.

Thoughts and idea's are ever changing, however the direction language is going leads to the exclusion of thoughts and idea's.
I guess in the sense that this language essentially expresses nothing, it is a good reflection of the thoughts and idea's of its speakers.
I avoid communicating with this type of person as much as I can. When I am forced to, I usually end up correcting them and mocking them, which never ends well.
Agreed.

Queen of the TCA

"Sometimes I sit around... watching chat... and thinking...sh*t... I created this madness." -- Lord of the Board
Old 04-28-2010, 08:16 PM
Elder

irerancincpkc is just really niceirerancincpkc is just really niceirerancincpkc is just really niceirerancincpkc is just really niceirerancincpkc is just really nice

My senior year, my english teacher, a man who was in his fifties, had all his gifted classes write a big essay in, as he put it, text/im language. His point was language was always evolving, and he loved it, thought it was exciting. And this was a conservative farmer on the side who still hasn't used a cell up to this day. He would tell me how he would get into such large fights over the evolution of language with the other english teachers, but he was sure it was a great thing to behold.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:52 PM
Ancient

Oatman is just really niceOatman is just really niceOatman is just really niceOatman is just really niceOatman is just really niceOatman is just really nice

Quote:
My senior year, my english teacher, a man who was in his fifties, had all his gifted classes write a big essay in, as he put it, text/im language. His point was language was always evolving, and he loved it, thought it was exciting. And this was a conservative farmer on the side who still hasn't used a cell up to this day. He would tell me how he would get into such large fights over the evolution of language with the other english teachers, but he was sure it was a great thing to behold.
If I have a perfectly good steak, which I then proceed to chew up, spit out, and take a huge shit on it, the steak has not 'evolved', it has been chewed up, spat out, and shat upon.

RS is an idiot.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:45 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birgitte View Post
We had a debate on absolute truth in my Introduction to Literary Theory class when my professor was teaching Structuralism. My professor lost that debate. Turns out when you try to tell a room full of semi-intelligent college students just because not everyone would label a desk the same way, it doesn't exist, you just look like an idiot. Though, to be fair, it could be her stupid refusal to understand that we were saying there's a difference between the words used to describe something and the concept behind it.
eh. I think we are talking about different things. I was referring more to the social, linguistic and historical post-modernism. i.e. no-one's beliefs are 100% TRUE yet they are true for them. or in history: whether something happened or not is up for debate. Also the reasons why it might or might not have happened. in language: is there really one solid set of rules for language? and if so, doesn't it mean that the language never changes = is dead?

English is a good example. On the one hand it is the lingua franca of our planet. More and more people learn it as a secondary language and as a result of that, more and more learn it as a primary language. However, because the amount of language users is so vast, English is breaking into local dialects. For me the really interesting question is, when do we start calling these dialects separate languages? I'm sure linguists can answer that better in quantitative terms, I'm just interested in the temporal.

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill

Last edited by yks 6nnetu hing; 04-29-2010 at 02:47 AM. Reason: typos
Old 04-29-2010, 05:24 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
I get a: " 403 Forbidden. You do not have permission to access ...." message. Dunno what I do wrong
You probably use your right hand to control your mouse. For this link, you should try it left handed.

The title of the article to which I tried to supply a link is "Ultimately, the hip hop paradigm will infuse the world's infrastructure, as everything Black does".
Old 04-29-2010, 07:37 AM
Elder

irerancincpkc is just really niceirerancincpkc is just really niceirerancincpkc is just really niceirerancincpkc is just really niceirerancincpkc is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatman View Post
If I have a perfectly good steak, which I then proceed to chew up, spit out, and take a huge shit on it, the steak has not 'evolved', it has been chewed up, spat out, and shat upon.
You are assuming that the change isn't good.

I'm sure similar analogies were made in the twenties (or whenever it really happened)when people stopped saying thy and subbed in the...
Old 04-30-2010, 01:08 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by yks 6nnetu hing View Post
eh. I think we are talking about different things. I was referring more to the social, linguistic and historical post-modernism. i.e. no-one's beliefs are 100% TRUE yet they are true for them. or in history: whether something happened or not is up for debate. Also the reasons why it might or might not have happened. in language: is there really one solid set of rules for language? and if so, doesn't it mean that the language never changes = is dead?
No, there isn't a solid set of rules for language, not for English anyway. There are literally dozens of stylebooks that change the rules based on where the piece of writing is published.

But that's not really the point of the poem. The problem is that people hedge around the point. People don't stand for anything. It's not even that people are accepting that they could be wrong. It goes beyond that into the realm of just not bothering to think what you say through enough to be confident that it makes sense. THAT's what I have a problem with. It's that what people say indicate that they aren't really thinking things through and they're just looking for whoever they're talking to to do their thinking for them by asking if they know and making everything a question.

Queen of the TCA

Old 04-30-2010, 03:53 AM
Hero of the Horn

"Are you agnostic or apathic?"
"I don't know and I don't care."
Old 04-30-2010, 05:29 AM
Ancient

Gonzo, that was great.

RS is an idiot.