art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7652

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - Non Wot Discussion Boards > Archived: Non WoT Related Discussion 09/09 - 9/10
User Name
Password

Old 04-29-2010, 05:09 PM
Elder

Yellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to behold
Default Cue the banjo music

http://blogs.ajc.com/gold-dome-live/...eep-road-kill/

the fact that the law makers felt the need to address this at all...*shakes head*

i guess some southern rednecks can get their roadkill cookbooks out and be ready to serve up thumper on a bumper.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:17 PM
Ancient

Zanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant future

having just come from georgia... not in the least surprised.
the only Z

fairy dust for sale 8.99 per vial

"YES!" - Cary Sedai

"Perhaps science,... [is] simply magic with delusions of lack of grandeur." -Peter David, Restoration

The Greatest Thread
Old 04-30-2010, 03:32 AM
Hero of the Horn

Frenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Frenzy Send a message via Yahoo to Frenzy

i had a friend who hit a deer while on a business trip to West Virginia. The larger concern was not the damage to the rental car, but who got to keep the deer.

My brother hit & killed a deer while driving in Kansas. The sherriff who responded to the accident asked my bro if he could keep the deer. i wonder if that counts as a bribe...

"How the hell do you Godwin a thread with CUCUMBERS!!?" -- Tru

"I love cucumber prawn... " -- Ivhon

"Have to catch me first. Scared shitless always outruns mad as hell." -- Sinistrum

"Some days I'm happy Frenzy doesn't live next door." -- Tamyrlin

"So Frenzy is a scientist then?" -- Davian
"Well duh. An Evil scientist. " -- Khoram
Old 04-30-2010, 03:59 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Somebody has been watching too much Topgear.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:47 AM
Elder

Yellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to behold

Don't get me wrong, I like deer meat. Especially when it's cooked by someone that knows how to cook wild game meat well.

I just thought that the need for a law that governed who could keep/eat roadkill was probably not the best thing for our state rep.'s to be working on right now.

slight t/j - when i was working on a boy scout summer camp staff as a teenager, there was a guy that had a deer run out of the woods and go full speed into the side of his truck. it was being chased by one of the camp rangers dogs.

anyway, it killed itself on contact. dead right there (as boortz likes to say "DRT"). so we actually did throw it in the back of the truck, take it to the dining hall, and some of the hunters among the staff skinned, gutted, etc. for the next few weeks, the cooks made the staff snacks from it. was pretty good stuff too.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:56 PM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Somebody has been watching too much Topgear.
actually, I think the US is one of the places where Top Gear is watched the least. Which is a shame, because it's awesome.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:53 PM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowbaneX View Post
actually, I think the US is one of the places where Top Gear is watched the least. Which is a shame, because it's awesome.
Well, if the most they could get from the little watching they did was that they needed to legislate the eating of roadkill, then they aren't watching it enough. Just think: if they had watched it a bit more, then they could have adopted a resolution urging Boris Johnson to hurry up getting rid of the bendy busses.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:22 PM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

yes, and a motion banning Smart Cars and Priuses.
Old 05-01-2010, 05:03 AM
Hero of the Horn

Matoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of light

Venison = the best.

My family has had 5 vehicles (3 of them trucks) totalleed by deer over the past decade. Two of those had "grill guards"/"deer guards"

We always try to get at least the antlers (if it's a buck). I mean, you want SOME kind of trophy/good to come out of something that could cost you an arm, leg, and first born.

[Gawyn] probably pops his collar. - Kivo
Mat's hat is a Darkfriend. - Daekyras
Old 05-01-2010, 05:25 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matoyak View Post
We always try to get at least the antlers (if it's a buck). I mean, you want SOME kind of trophy/good to come out of something that could cost you an arm, leg, and first born.
Yeah, but now you'd better hope you are not shaken up too much by the collision, or someone else will run off with those antlers before you can manage to extract yourself from your vehicle:
Quote:
According to the bill, Any person may take possession of native wildlife which has been killed by a motor vehicle.
Old 05-01-2010, 05:30 AM
Hero of the Horn

Matoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Yeah, but now you'd better hope you are not shaken up too much by the collision, or someone else will run off with those antlers before you can manage to extract yourself from your vehicle:
Well, I did say *try*

And I mean, what, is this basically just stating legally that the first-come-first-serve basis that this already operated under is correct? Silly.

Once a cop loaned my dad some kind of handsaw to help get the antlers off of one... huge fricken buck. The thing was one of the ones that totaled one of the trucks that had the deer guards on. Caved the damn thing in pretty impressively. Truck was completely worthless after, had to call a tower in.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:47 AM
Hero of the Horn

Of course, instead of hitting that deer, you could also have braked. You might try to argue that there wasn't time. But that only means that you were driving too fast: you should not drive faster than is safe, so that if you have to break, you can do that in time.*

* This may mean that Americans no longer can drive above 5 miles an hour. Since that's on the other side of the Atlantic, I can honestly say that I am willing to accept this consequence of "safety first".
Old 05-01-2010, 07:06 AM
Hero of the Horn

Yes, because in the middle of the night, 2 hrs into a drive back from the nearest large city, through deer country, on the highway really offers you a chance to brake from a deer that runs out a few feet in front of you.

I'll be sure to keep your advice in mind. It's incredibly worthwhile, and helpful to boot.

Old 05-01-2010, 07:16 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matoyak View Post
I'll be sure to keep your advice in mind. It's incredibly worthwhile, and helpful to boot.
That's quite a common reaction to the advice I dispense for free. A lot of people seem to think it is well worth their money.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:06 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Of course, instead of hitting that deer, you could also have braked. You might try to argue that there wasn't time. But that only means that you were driving too fast: you should not drive faster than is safe, so that if you have to break, you can do that in time.*

* This may mean that Americans no longer can drive above 5 miles an hour. Since that's on the other side of the Atlantic, I can honestly say that I am willing to accept this consequence of "safety first".
You know how I know you've never driven in the country before?

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 05-01-2010, 11:33 AM
Ancient

Zanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant future

My dad was sitting in a parking lot one time and a deer came out of the field and ran into his truck ... it died instantly... we think it was spooked by its reflection off of the rear panel. I suppose it would be really safe if we walked everywhere.
the only Z

fairy dust for sale 8.99 per vial

"YES!" - Cary Sedai

"Perhaps science,... [is] simply magic with delusions of lack of grandeur." -Peter David, Restoration

The Greatest Thread
Old 05-01-2010, 12:03 PM
Hero of the Horn

Mud. Smear mud on the rear panel, and this type of horrible incidents will be history.

There, that's not too difficult, now is it?
Old 05-01-2010, 12:05 PM
Youngling

heridfel has a spectacular aura aboutheridfel has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to heridfel

I'm a vegan, so am in no way in favor of hunting beyond a pure animal population control standpoint, however living in the woods in CT I know that there is no safe speed to avoid hitting deer, similar to what someone else metioned, one time a deer came running out of the woods and ran headfirst into the side of our truck which was going about 25 mph, it fell over, but then got up and ran into the woods, probably died later, but the point is we could have been stopped and it would have hit us.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:48 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

In Pennsylvania, it was illegal to take roadkill (i.e. a deer you hit) without tagging it if it was the right hunting season. Outside of hunting season, it was simply illegal. I think they may have changed it but I don't know for sure. PA has some pretty strict gaming laws. A game warden, for example, doesn't need a warrant to search your house, vehicle, property if he/she has suspicion of poaching. They can walk in and open the freezer if they feel like it. Its pretty tough to hide a couple hundred pounds of venison. I remember being stopped while fishing several times to ensure the trout or small mouth bass we had hooked were big enough to keep.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 05-01-2010, 10:36 PM
Hero of the Horn

Belazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Belazamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanguini View Post
I suppose it would be really safe if we walked everywhere.
Ah yes! Then the bears wouldn't total our cars as they devoured us. Insurance rates would probably go down, too.

No one cares, no one sympathizes
You just stand around and play synthesizers