art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (2): eimplestac, legavulaprinc,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > A Memory of Light
User Name
Password

Old 01-14-2013, 11:32 AM
Hero of the Horn

Marie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Questions about A Memory of Light (Expect Spoilers)

Hey everyone...

This is the place to ask your questions about AMoL!

This thread is meant for questions that are likely to require only a short answer. If you have a question that you feel will require more substantial discussion, or you want to start a more general discussion about a topic related to AMoL, do so in a separate thread. Also, questions posed here that evolve into a longer discussion will be moved to a separate thread for continued discussion.

Have fun!
Old 01-14-2013, 07:57 PM
Youngling

Delirium is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thoughts?

Where's Valen Luca? Shouldn't we have gotten at least a cameo?
Old 01-14-2013, 10:48 PM
Youngling

connabard is just really niceconnabard is just really niceconnabard is just really niceconnabard is just really niceconnabard is just really niceconnabard is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
Where's Valen Luca? Shouldn't we have gotten at least a cameo?
He was the Dark One.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:10 PM
Youngling

connabard is just really niceconnabard is just really niceconnabard is just really niceconnabard is just really niceconnabard is just really niceconnabard is just really nice

Also, serious question:
Galad seeing the Light guide him? Was he actually for real seeing the Light, or is that just how he perceives his moral compass?
Old 01-15-2013, 12:40 AM
Youngling

Scrooge is an unknown quantity at this point

Few questions mostly from the Epilogue:

Who is the gray haired old, Aiel clad woman that Rand encounters as he carries Moridin's body out? And when she says "Yes, that's good. That is what you need to do." I'm assuming she's talking about he needs Moridin's body to survive? How would she know that?

At the end of that same PoV, Rand babbles about the Aeflinn answer and choices, which question is he referring to? The first was the cleansing of Saidin, so I'm assuming that's got nothing to do with anything. The second was about how to win the last battle and survive, but the answer they gave to that seemed to have been wrapped up. The third we were never given right? So is he babbling about that? I read something about they said it'd be in an encyclopedia to be published?

Did we ever get any of Moiraine's questions/answers?

Did I miss Dobraine in this book? I can't recall seeing him even mentioned.

Not related to AMoL, but this has bugged me for years, so whatever: regarding Saidin cleansing, did we ever hear the Aeflinn answer to that, and how is Herid Fel's statement make any sense?

I get that Rand made a giant Saidar tunnel to siphon Saidin toward Shadar Logoth and Mashadar and the Taint off'ed each other. But how do you get that idea from "stated sound principles in both high philosophy and natural philosophy."

Oh and what was the deal with the Prologue Slayer and female Forsaken meeting? Was it Lanfear, Moghedien or Graendel? And what was the deal of Moridin showing up but not showing up? Moghedien pretending to be Moridin? What was the purpose of that?
Old 01-15-2013, 04:56 AM
Elder

maacaroni has a brilliant futuremaacaroni has a brilliant futuremaacaroni has a brilliant futuremaacaroni has a brilliant futuremaacaroni has a brilliant futuremaacaroni has a brilliant futuremaacaroni has a brilliant futuremaacaroni has a brilliant futuremaacaroni has a brilliant futuremaacaroni has a brilliant futuremaacaroni has a brilliant future

Was the 'wise woman' that Androl studied with in Tear the same one that Nynaeve and Egwene stayed with in the Dragon Reborn?
Old 01-15-2013, 06:49 PM
Hero of the Horn

Ishara has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Ishara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrooge View Post
Few questions mostly from the Epilogue:

Who is the gray haired old, Aiel clad woman that Rand encounters as he carries Moridin's body out? And when she says "Yes, that's good. That is what you need to do." I'm assuming she's talking about he needs Moridin's body to survive? How would she know that?
There are arguments suggesting this is Nakomi making a reappearance. I tend to lean this way, base don the fact that Rand didn't recognize her voice.

Quote:
Did I miss Dobraine in this book? I can't recall seeing him even mentioned.
Nope. Not mentioned, unfortunately.

Rand: You are an insensitive bastard!!!
Mat: And you ruined another hat!

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by lightening. -- Calvin

"Gee, I wish I could do magic! Maybe I'll try!" --SDog

Official Vixen of Theoryland and Theoryland Siren

Grain Goddess, the Rood Inverse, the Mad Glomper
Old 01-15-2013, 06:54 PM
Hero of the Horn

Crispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by connabard View Post
Also, serious question:
Galad seeing the Light guide him? Was he actually for real seeing the Light, or is that just how he perceives his moral compass?
Do you mean the streaks of light as he was looking for Demandred? I believe they were a double entendre--both Demandred's balefire (white-hot bars of light) and, well, the Light guiding his way.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:57 PM
Hero of the Horn

Crispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Oh and what was the deal with the Prologue Slayer and female Forsaken meeting? Was it Lanfear, Moghedien or Graendel? And what was the deal of Moridin showing up but not showing up? Moghedien pretending to be Moridin? What was the purpose of that?
Not sure about Moridin, other than to show that Slayer was somewere badass. We all assume he meat with Cyndane, who wanted him to kill Rand in Tel'aran'rhiod at Shayol Ghul.

It just occurred to me that Perrin killed the two Talented fake Aiel when he was looking for the Dreamspike at the BT. For some reason I thought they were Asha'man at the time of reading.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:15 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
At the end of that same PoV, Rand babbles about the Aeflinn answer and choices, which question is he referring to? The first was the cleansing of Saidin, so I'm assuming that's got nothing to do with anything. The second was about how to win the last battle and survive, but the answer they gave to that seemed to have been wrapped up. The third we were never given right? So is he babbling about that? I read something about they said it'd be in an encyclopedia to be published?
It's implied that his third question was "How do I kill the Dark One?" He says he asked the wrong question.

Quote:
Did we ever get any of Moiraine's questions/answers?
No. It's possible we'll get them in the Encyclopedia, but it's also possible RJ didn't leave them in the notes.

Quote:
Not related to AMoL, but this has bugged me for years, so whatever: regarding Saidin cleansing, did we ever hear the Aeflinn answer to that, and how is Herid Fel's statement make any sense?
No, we never got the riddle. Which was a bit convenient for RJ, as he never had to come up with one. (But it may be that was in the notes, and I'm being unfair; we'll see if it's in the Encyclopedia.)

Quote:
Oh and what was the deal with the Prologue Slayer and female Forsaken meeting?
We don't know really. Perhaps some questions on the tour will clarify things.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:17 PM
ReadandFindOut.com

Dom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispin's Crispian View Post
It just occurred to me that Perrin killed the two Talented fake Aiel when he was looking for the Dreamspike at the BT. For some reason I thought they were Asha'man at the time of reading.
I must have missed something. Perrin described them as two Asha'man in black coats.

p. 294
Old 01-15-2013, 10:21 PM
ReadandFindOut.com

Dom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
It's implied that his third question was "How do I kill the Dark One?" He says he asked the wrong question.
I was under the impression the idea to kill the DO came to Rand first circa TGS, but this was after he killed Ishamael thinking he was the DO, only to be told by Moiraine it was just a Forsaken. So maybe... but I'm doubtful he asked that.

IMO, he was referring to "to live, you must die".
Old 01-15-2013, 10:47 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
I must have missed something. Perrin described them as two Asha'man in black coats.

p. 294
Well then...what happened to his assigned helpers?
Old 01-16-2013, 01:19 AM
Youngling

bigwil0024 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The end

Ok so i need some insight on the end of this book!!!! What was the whole thing with rand just imagining the pipe lit and it was?
also did i miss something but when did he arrange for alivia to put stuff out for him?
and did Elayne, Aveinda, and Min know he was planning it or were they just being so obvious about hiding the fact he was alive because they were surprised as well?
Old 01-16-2013, 06:06 AM
Youngling

Aadogg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moraine

First off, the last 300 pages made up for the slow start. The "Last Battle" chapter was probably as good as any war/battle description ever written, from Hugo to Tolstoy to Homer all those other old Greek dudes.

But what's the deal with Moraine?

Ok. It was a big deal when Moraine died. She was a major character. She was a key force in the beginning of the story. She died, it was like, "oh my."

Then there was all that about how Rand could never survive the last battle without Moraine. And eventually half of an (excellent) book was written by Mr. Sanderson about the rescue or Moraine.

But then, in this book, aside from linking with Rand and Nynaeve in the final moments, Moraine doesn't seem to have done a whole heck of a lot.

This bothers me even more than the inexplicable bodyswitch. I can make up my own whatever explanations for a bodyswitch. But the return of Moraine was built up as being the most impossible but most important thing ever. And then she was just kind of, "there".

Did I miss something that would help explain Moraine's importance?
Old 01-16-2013, 06:12 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Well, Moiraine also strolled into the gathering at Merrilor and bullied all present into doing as she wanted. Then she bullied Rand out of being in command of the armies. All of that in about ten minutes or so.
Compare that to the speed of the real world climate change conferences, and how quickly agreements are reached there.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:49 AM
Youngling

Aadogg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Not enough reason for Moraine

So all the hubbub about bringing her back was just so she could counteract Egwene's naysaying and give Rand an argument about why he couldn't command the armies -- the former of which could have been left out with the drama preserved and the latter of which any other character could have done?

What did Moraine do that only Moraine could have done? To keep Rand alive?
Old 01-16-2013, 07:35 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

She also finished the mental healing, by showing that he wasn't always responsible for the deaths of people who got killed in his neighbourhood.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:31 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
I was under the impression the idea to kill the DO came to Rand first circa TGS, but this was after he killed Ishamael thinking he was the DO, only to be told by Moiraine it was just a Forsaken. So maybe... but I'm doubtful he asked that.

IMO, he was referring to "to live, you must die".
Don't think so. I had an email conversation with Peter about this. Yes, it was first mentioned in TGS, which is why I argued that Brandon just Made It Up, but Peter got a bit defensive about it and said we should ask Maria whether or not the third question was in the notes, and so Marie asked her in Chicago. (She said it was.)

Rand's words don't make sense in the context of 'to live, you must die', and this question serves to explain why he did just ask how to seal the Bore.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:37 AM
Youngling

Nisheeth is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

p. 294
If I am not mistaken, he encountered the Asha'man when he got to the Black Tower to get the Dream Spike, and the Red-veiled Aiel when he was setting the dreamspike in Shayol Ghul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aadogg View Post
What did Moraine do that only Moraine could have done? To keep Rand alive?
Had she not come, Egwene was going towards attacing Rand with armies to stop him from breaking the seals, just as he was about to walk away. Even if he somehow defeated her armies, he would be left with a weaker, divider army and he himself drained. That would have lead to a defeat at the Last Battle. It was Moraine coming back that prevented them coming to blows. Her other contribution was helping rand's mental state as well.

Now a question I had,
Min's viewing that Cadsuane would teach Rand and the Ashaman something that he wouldn't like. Had it been fulfilled. I can't remember it being so.