art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - Non Wot Discussion Boards > Archived: Non WoT Discussion 03/2012 - 10/2015
User Name
Password

Old 05-03-2014, 08:33 PM
Elder

fdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant future
Default Patrick Rothfuss spin-off thread

I didn't want to hijack the other thread (agree or disagree game) with my rant about Patrick Rothfuss, so I'm creating another thread instead. Here's the quote I'm using as a springboard:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy View Post
Is it possible to think an author is a prat yet still like or admire their work?
In theory, maybe. I don't want to commit one way or the other since I'm honestly not sure. But for me, in the case of Patrick Rothfuss, the answer is a resounding no. Everything I said about Patrick Rothfuss is something I stand behind 100%. For reference:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdsaf3 View Post
If I disagree with part of your sentence, I have to disagree with all of it. I think Patrick Rothfuss is smug, self-satisfied, arrogant, condescending, and overall a huge jackass. He does say fuck a lot though.
99% of what I'm reacting to are posts on his blog. One thing that really used to bother me were his emo "stop picking on me by asking when book #2 is going to be done" posts in between publication of books 1 and 2. This from the man who claims to have fully written all three books years ago. This from the man who spends weeks out of the year overseeing/heavily participating in a fundraiser...I could go on and on.

Here's my point: if he's spent as much time in the world he created as he says he has (he and his friends used to roleplay in it years ago, for example), and if he fully wrote out all three books years ago, there's really no excuse for the books to be coming out as slowly as they are. All the interest in side-projects (the not-children's book, and now the spin-off books featuring other characters) illustrate to me that he lost his verve for the main story. Maybe he wrote himself into a corner in the second book (which I haven't read). Maybe he realized that his main character is a boring Mary Sue who couldn't possibly have a more cliched or hackneyed origin story if we all tried our hardest to come up with one.

There are hard-working authors like Brandon Sanderson who write and publish relentlessly. Once they've written numerous books and achieved critical and commercial success, THEN they take time off to write weird or quirky side-projects. The sense of self-entitlement in Patrick Rothfuss is astounding. Gah.

I didn't like Name of the Wind (surprise, right?). I didn't hate it, but I didn't like it. I thought it was OK. Then I learned more about the author, and I am irreparably turned off from reading his books because of it. At the end of the day, there are so many authors out there who are decent and hard-working that it seems silly to reward one who isn't.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:29 PM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

George RR Martin is not your bitch.

It follows that Patrick Rothfuss is not your bitch either. He is entitled to release the books at whatever rate he so chooses and to participate in whatever side projects he likes. You may not like it but that does not make him an ass or anything of the sort. A "workhorse" author like Brandon Sanderson does not release a new Stormlight book every few months; he has to take time off to work on other projects. In his case those are other literary projects. In the case of a Rothfuss or a GRRM they're non-literary. Writing a book, even one you've been working on for years, is hard work, and breaks are necessary to avoid burnout. This has always been the case and always will be, at least until all of our fiction is written by genetically engineered cyber-authors plugged directly into computers and capable of producing 34 novels a day.

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known
Old 05-06-2014, 02:21 PM
Hero of the Horn

SauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to SauceyBlueConfetti

Many of us met him at JordanCon.

I found him to be incredibly kind, generous, funny, self depreciating and genuinely interested in meeting new people and learning new things. His interests were mind boggling in their expanse. And yeah, he isn't your bitch. Writing 17 hours a day isn't a requirement to being an author and if you are only interested in speed, try Danielle Steele or Stephen King.

Personally, I think you just don't get his humor on his blog, etc. It is mainly wise-assery.

In regards to his writing speed, he came right out and said his biggest flaw is he writes something, then edits and edits and revises and edits and revises until infinity. He thanked his editors repeatedly for pulling him back in and sending stories off to the publisher. Btw, his catalogue of work is more than the King Killer Chronicles. He also has a small child that he shares in raising. And when I say that, I don't mean he sits him in front of a tv. That alone gets kudos beyond word from me, as he is INVOLVED with his child.

You are entitled to your opinion, obviously, but I think you are 110% off base on this one.
Yeah. Murderous Saucey. My superhero name
I am Detroit. You REALLY wanna call me wimpy?
Haphazardly Spell & Fact Checked Since June 2001
Old 05-06-2014, 07:40 PM
Editor-in-Chief (with tenure)

Uno has disabled reputation

Hmm ... if you can't like his writings because you don't like the man, why do you care how fast or slowly he writes?