art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (2): ekoatleyfred, ShadowbaneX,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - Non Wot Discussion Boards > Archived: Non WoT Discussion 03/2012 - 10/2015
User Name
Password

Old 02-13-2014, 10:17 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Olympics

Much as predicted, the temperatures are balmy enough for sunbathing. Some of the cross country skiers have joked about coming to start in bikinis because otherwise they simply die of overheating...

I love this pic of the Canadian hockey team doing thier warmup:

The Dutchies are doing exceptionally well in skating (yay) and the Estonians are doing ridiculously badly at everything - not unexpected this year.

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 02-13-2014, 11:55 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Other than the epic asskicking we gave Slovakia in Hockey today, the US has been pretty disappointing overall this Olympics...lots of a medal hopefuls and previous winners have been disappointing at best.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 02-13-2014, 12:39 PM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

If you can't take the heat, stay out of the Winter Olympics.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:39 PM
Hero of the Horn

Brita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond repute

Canada has had a lot of very heartwarming moments:

- Sisters winning Gold and Silver in the moguls.

- Winning Silver in Speedskating after the spot in the final was given to him by his teammate. (Morrison fell in the qualification round, his teammate Junio made it and gave his spot to the better competitor- there is talk about Junio being our flag bearer).

- Canadian coach giving a ski to a struggling Russian in cross-country skiing

- The always heartwarming dedication of skier Alex Biladeau to his brother with cerebral palsy.

It also helps that we are doing quite well medal wise

“I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you.” ― Anthony Bourdain
Old 02-13-2014, 02:15 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Canadian coach giving a ski to a struggling Russian in cross-country skiing
Yeah, I watched that live...that was a classy move.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 02-13-2014, 02:21 PM
Hero of the Horn

Isabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Isabel

Quote:
Originally Posted by yks 6nnetu hing View Post
Much as predicted, the temperatures are balmy enough for sunbathing. Some of the cross country skiers have joked about coming to start in bikinis because otherwise they simply die of overheating...

I love this pic of the Canadian hockey team doing thier warmup:

The Dutchies are doing exceptionally well in skating (yay) and the Estonians are doing ridiculously badly at everything - not unexpected this year.
Haha so how is the reaction in Estonia?
'Rand al'Thor, Nynaeve shrieked, that is the most outrageous thing I ever heard out of your mouth. The very idea of telling three women you love them! You are worse than a lecher. You apologize right now!'

Isabel sedai of the Green Ajah, Amyrlin of the Official Nynaeve Fanclub, first sister to Gennie Sedai of the Green Ajah, bonded to Camel, Wolf Gaidin, Jachthond and ghostrider.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:33 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Other than the epic asskicking we gave Slovakia in Hockey today....
And the snowboard dude. Don't forget him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brita View Post
Sisters winning Gold and Silver in the moguls.
Yes, but they made the bronze medalist cry! Okay, she made herself cry. It was really pitiful.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:49 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brita View Post
- Sisters winning Gold and Silver in the moguls.
Dutch triple win of the men's 500 m speedskating; gold and bronze went to twins. There was actually also a sweep for the men's 5000 m speedskating but I thought the twins story (and the poor guy who came second - he lost the gold by the tiniest margin: something like 0.012 seconds) was just so exciting

Quote:
- Canadian coach giving a ski to a struggling Russian in cross-country skiing
That's actually pretty common in the cross-country world. Although, was it a ski or a ski stick? Because they are allowed to have extra ski sticks but afaik they're not allowed to change skis in the middle of the race, unless it's a ski-change race where they do the first half classic, the 2nd half freestyle. It has to do with the preparation of the skis, the wax they put on it to make for better slide or better grip dependingo n the weather/conditions. Kind of like... if Hamilton chose the wrong tires for the day, he'll still have to go the whole race on those tires.

As for Estonians... well, we're a small country, we've got individual sporters and this year there's just nobody good enough in the mix to win any medals. But we've pretty high hopes for the next Olympics. The juniors are doing quite well in cross country skiing AND we've a girl who's beaten some of the world top freestyle skiers in the X-games but she's not allowed to compete at the Olympics because she's 11. Maybe that's a good thing seeing as she can't do some of the jumps because she's too light and her parents refuse to put weights on her as that would probably ruin her physique later on. Even cooler, she has a little brother who might become even better... Those videos on youtube, it's cuteness overdose...

Bonded to JWB

-- Winston Churchill
Old 02-14-2014, 03:09 AM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
... Although, was it a ski or a ski stick? ...
The Skier in question had crashed and was proceeding on onne and a half skis, quickly working it's way down to one and a quarter or less. When the broken ski fell completely apart, the Canadian coach provided a whole ski for the last few hundred meters.

Probably technically illegal, but it was the difference between finishing 50-something and DNF.

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:38 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The juniors are doing quite well in cross country skiing AND we've a girl who's beaten some of the world top freestyle skiers in the X-games but she's not allowed to compete at the Olympics because she's 11.
That's about the same age as the youngest gold medal winner ever. Of course, that one won when things were still a bit more relaxed, and there weren't all those pesky rules around, yet, to inconvenience teams. It was during the Paris Olympics, I think. The American rowing team had four rowers and a steersman. Then the steersman got sick, right on the day of the actual race. So the Americans plucked some kid off the street, managed to tell him to shout "Hop! Hop! Hop!" or something like that, put him in the back of the boat, and rowed to victory. Other teams protested a bit, but there were no actual rules against that at the time. Now contestants have to be officially entered in advance, rather than just showing up at the start, they have to have a certain minimum weight in rowing and such, and they must be older than whatever. I'm not entirely sure we can blame all those rules on the EU, but we can try. I'm sure the IOC wouldn't mind.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:21 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
That's about the same age as the youngest gold medal winner ever. Of course, that one won when things were still a bit more relaxed, and there weren't all those pesky rules around, yet, to inconvenience teams. It was during the Paris Olympics, I think. The American rowing team had four rowers and a steersman. Then the steersman got sick, right on the day of the actual race. So the Americans plucked some kid off the street, managed to tell him to shout "Hop! Hop! Hop!" or something like that, put him in the back of the boat, and rowed to victory. Other teams protested a bit, but there were no actual rules against that at the time. Now contestants have to be officially entered in advance, rather than just showing up at the start, they have to have a certain minimum weight in rowing and such, and they must be older than whatever. I'm not entirely sure we can blame all those rules on the EU, but we can try. I'm sure the IOC wouldn't mind.
I actually did some googling on this and apparently the Olympic authorities don't decide the age - they follow the rules of each particular sport. So, figure skaters for instance can compete as "adults" at 15 but other sports have other age limits.

on other news, I can't find an English-language source for this but apparently the IOC flat out forbade the staging of a "Russian Army Liberates Europe From Evil Nazis" spectacle during the Opening Ceremony. Or any reference to WW II whatsoever.

Bonded to JWB

-- Winston Churchill
Old 02-14-2014, 05:57 AM
Hero of the Horn

Brita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Dutch triple win of the men's 500 m speedskating; gold and bronze went to twins. There was actually also a sweep for the men's 5000 m speedskating but I thought the twins story (and the poor guy who came second - he lost the gold by the tiniest margin: something like 0.012 seconds) was just so exciting
Very cool. I also really enjoyed the tie for gold.

“I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you.” ― Anthony Bourdain
Old 02-14-2014, 06:15 AM
Youngling

Tomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant future

Unfortunately for you north americans we're going to take back the hockey gold this year.

And Naz, Finland will be the first to fall on their knees before the greatest nation on earth and beg to be a part of Sweden again.

And that goes for you Norwegians as well, DahLliA.

After all, isn't the Olympics a time during which people of different nations are coming together in harmony.
Or if that doesn't work, by force.
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. (Marx)
Old 02-14-2014, 08:05 AM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomp View Post
Unfortunately for you north americans we're going to take back the hockey gold this year.

And Naz, Finland will be the first to fall on their knees before the greatest nation on earth and beg to be a part of Sweden again.

After all, isn't the Olympics a time during which people of different nations are coming together in harmony.
How did you know about my plans of conquering Sweden and then the rest of Northern Europe including my original homeland?
Lord Captain Commander of Singing Chipmunks
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 02-14-2014, 08:40 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:

well, actually...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The apocryphal story tells of the Finnic and Slavic tribes in the area calling on "'the Varangians [i.e. Scandinavians], to the Rus' … The Chud, the Slovenes, the Krivichi and the Ves said "Our land is vast and abundant, but there is no order in it. Come and reign as princes and have authority over us!"' Three brothers came with 'their kin' and 'all the Rus' in response to this invitation. Rurik set up rule in Novgorod, giving more provincial towns to his brothers. There is some ambiguity even in the Primary Chronicle about the specifics of the story, "hence their paradoxical statement 'the people of Novgorod are of Varangian stock, for formerly they were Slovenes.'" However, archaeological evidence such as "Frankish swords, a sword chape and a tortoiseshell brooch" in the area suggest that there was, in fact, a Scandinavian population during the tenth century at the latest.[3] The "Rurikid Dynasty DNA Project" of FamilyTreeDNA commercial genetic genealogy company reports that Y-DNA testing of the descendants of Rurikids suggests their non-Slavic origin.
Whether you actually *want* to take over Russia is something totally different though.

Bonded to JWB

-- Winston Churchill
Old 02-14-2014, 01:26 PM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomp View Post

Men's Olympic Hockey is kinda funny over here. Silver is looked upon as an utter failure, and the heads of those responsible would roll.

That said, Karlsson (and Alfie...and Silfverburg ) are on team Sweden...so they're probably my next favourite team. They should have also taken Lehner & Zibanejad though.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:02 PM
Hero of the Horn

Matoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Whether you actually *want* to take over Russia is something totally different though.
I hear doing that during winter works out pretty well.

[Gawyn] probably pops his collar. - Kivo
Mat's hat is a Darkfriend. - Daekyras
Old 02-14-2014, 03:35 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
I actually did some googling on this and apparently the Olympic authorities don't decide the age - they follow the rules of each particular sport. So, figure skaters for instance can compete as "adults" at 15 but other sports have other age limits.

on other news, I can't find an English-language source for this but apparently the IOC flat out forbade the staging of a "Russian Army Liberates Europe From Evil Nazis" spectacle during the Opening Ceremony. Or any reference to WW II whatsoever.
Good thing WWII isn't like a big deal for Russia or anything...

~rolls eyes~

Old 02-14-2014, 03:54 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Harold View Post
The Skier in question had crashed and was proceeding on onne and a half skis, quickly working it's way down to one and a quarter or less. When the broken ski fell completely apart, the Canadian coach provided a whole ski for the last few hundred meters.

Probably technically illegal, but it was the difference between finishing 50-something and DNF.
He had already fallen like 2 more times due to the busted ski...and you had to feel for the guy going through that in his home country. Nice move by the Canadian coach to let him "finish" the race like that...dont care about it being legal or illegal, it was just good sportsmanship and a classy move by him.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:30 AM
Elder

Khoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant future

That's Canada for you. AND the majority of the medals won by Canada so far have come from Quebec.

There's been a lot of stupid politicians superimposing the Quebec flag over the Canadian one. It pisses me off.

Life is a dream from which we all must wake before we can dream again.

Al dival, al kiserai, al mashi! - For light, glory, and love!

Carai an manshimaya ayend'an! - Honor of my blade for the fallen.