art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - Non Wot Discussion Boards > Archived: Non WoT Discussion 03/2012 - 10/2015
User Name
Password

Old 03-04-2014, 02:06 PM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute
Default fuming

so, those of you who have met me in person know that while I may get agitated on certain topics here online, in reality I'm fairly easygoing and cheerful...

But today. Today I yelled at my CFO. Fists on my hips, blood boiling yelled.

What happened, you ask. This:

We're thinking of revamping part of our software solution for document vault and we got an expert from another company in to tell us of their experiences, procedures and walk me through the main functionality of the system. The guy got off the plane, into the office, we said hi and we're about to get started when my boss wanted to have a short chat to check the planning for the day. So, we're a minute into the chat when the CFO walks in and asks who the new guy is. So I tell him and he, not the most pc person at the best of times, says "ooh, nice, cozying up in a small room all day, hehehe" wink.

I go "that is not ok. NOT OK"

he, get this, goes "oh, I didn't know you can't take a joke. Wanna make it even" AND HE TURNS AND STICKS HIS ASS AT ME

At which point, fists on hips yelling ensued.

In the end he apologized, I let it go. Thing is, he knows he's inapropriate, and I know he doesn't mean any of it. If anything, he strikes me as a guy who talks big to hide the fact that at home his wife holds the reins. But seriously. That is not in my job description, I do not have to put up with that sort of...anything.

On the upside, apparently the expert from the other company was so impressed with me, I could get a job with them tomorrow. Might have to relocate to Canada, so that would be a small minus.

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 03-04-2014, 02:32 PM
Hero of the Horn

SauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to SauceyBlueConfetti

I AM LAUGHING MY ASS OFF RIGHT NOW!

Partly, from the story.

Partly, from the idea that you think ANY of us would not expect your reaction to be exactly that!

And yeah, inappropriate. Way to stand up for yourself!!
Yeah. Murderous Saucey. My superhero name
I am Detroit. You REALLY wanna call me wimpy?
Haphazardly Spell & Fact Checked Since June 2001
Old 03-04-2014, 02:38 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If anything, he strikes me as a guy who talks big to hide the fact that at home his wife holds the reins.
Probably 100% this...I dont know how many guys I've worked with that act like asses at the office because they're completely neutered at home.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 03-04-2014, 03:25 PM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SauceyBlueConfetti View Post
I AM LAUGHING MY ASS OFF RIGHT NOW!

Partly, from the story.

Partly, from the idea that you think ANY of us would not expect your reaction to be exactly that!

And yeah, inappropriate. Way to stand up for yourself!!
Well *I* was certainly very surprised at my own behaviour. I mean, in the end I think I did ok with the situation but this was not the first time he said something like that. It was quite simply the worst thing he'd ever said, and I was already feeling a bit out of my depth with this training day, and making sure I had enough time cleared to focus properly... And then this happened. Gotta say, for the first 30 min it was a bit difficult to focus on actual work.

Bonded to JWB

-- Winston Churchill

Last edited by yks 6nnetu hing; 03-04-2014 at 03:29 PM.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:35 PM
Editor-in-Chief (with tenure)

Uno has disabled reputation

Yeah, that's some extraordinarily unprofessional behaviour, and with a representative from another company present, too. Not exactly the image one wants to project to business partners.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:47 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uno View Post
Yeah, that's some extraordinarily unprofessional behaviour, and with a representative from another company present, too. Not exactly the image one wants to project to business partners.
Thankfully he wasn't in the room (plus the whole thing happened in Dutch so hopefully all he heard was some heightened voices), just my boss. He didn't get a word in edgewise. Which is bad because he ought to make it clear that that sort of thing is unacceptable in anyone's presence. And good because I really think this was a battle no man could nor should ever fight for me.

Bonded to JWB

-- Winston Churchill
Old 03-04-2014, 05:42 PM
Youngling

Tomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant future

I don't know if this somehow fits the situation.
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. (Marx)
Old 03-05-2014, 01:10 AM
Elder

Khoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by yks 6nnetu hing View Post
Might have to relocate to Canada, so that would be a small minus.
Because relocating to the nicest country in the world is a minus.

Sounds like a real charmer, your CFO.

Life is a dream from which we all must wake before we can dream again.

Al dival, al kiserai, al mashi! - For light, glory, and love!

Carai an manshimaya ayend'an! - Honor of my blade for the fallen.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:27 AM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khoram View Post
Because relocating to the nicest country in the world is a minus.

Sounds like a real charmer, your CFO.
I think she meant that relocating would be a minus regardless of the destination. Canada makes it a small one; Finland would be a somewhat normal minus; South Africa would be a freaking huge minus and Russia somewhere on the farside of negative infinity.

Want me to set that CFO on fire? I could make it look like an accident.
Lord Captain Commander of Singing Chipmunks
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 03-05-2014, 04:27 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

I know what CEO stands for. I know what "F" stands for. But I'd forgotten what CFO stands for, so I had to look that up again.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:55 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazbaque View Post
I think she meant that relocating would be a minus regardless of the destination. Canada makes it a small one; Finland would be a somewhat normal minus; South Africa would be a freaking huge minus and Russia somewhere on the farside of negative infinity.

In Soviet Russia, country relocates you!

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 03-05-2014, 08:09 AM
Hero of the Horn

Isabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Isabel

Wow, i can understand you were pretty pissed off.
Happy to hear he apologized
'Rand al'Thor, Nynaeve shrieked, that is the most outrageous thing I ever heard out of your mouth. The very idea of telling three women you love them! You are worse than a lecher. You apologize right now!'

Isabel sedai of the Green Ajah, Amyrlin of the Official Nynaeve Fanclub, first sister to Gennie Sedai of the Green Ajah, bonded to Camel, Wolf Gaidin, Jachthond and ghostrider.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:24 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabel View Post
Wow, i can understand you were pretty pissed off.
Happy to hear he apologized
FWIW, I'd watch my back for later retaliation. Granted, I dont know how strong Dutch employee protection laws are but in the States, you'd be watching your back big time even after the "apology".

Old 03-05-2014, 09:21 AM
Elder

Khoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazbaque View Post
Accidents are bound to happen when one is playing with fire.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:05 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
FWIW, I'd watch my back for later retaliation. Granted, I dont know how strong Dutch employee protection laws are but in the States, you'd be watching your back big time even after the "apology".
He can't because I've a permanent contract. Unless he can prove I've done something highly inapropriate such as industrial espionage, stealing on a large scale or... er... sexual harrasment.

also, we're good. We had another chat this morning, he had no idea what he did wrong but once I explained the difference between making a general sexual innuendo joke and making a personal sexual innuendo joke, I think he got it. He still tried to backtrack and say that he turned to face my boss (whereas he turned to face the wall), but whatever.

Bonded to JWB

-- Winston Churchill
Old 03-05-2014, 11:18 AM
Hero of the Horn

Isabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Isabel

Quote:
Originally Posted by yks 6nnetu hing View Post
He can't because I've a permanent contract. Unless he can prove I've done something highly inapropriate such as industrial espionage, stealing on a large scale or... er... sexual harrasment.

also, we're good. We had another chat this morning, he had no idea what he did wrong but once I explained the difference between making a general sexual innuendo joke and making a personal sexual innuendo joke, I think he got it. He still tried to backtrack and say that he turned to face my boss (whereas he turned to face the wall), but whatever.
Good to hear you are fine
'Rand al'Thor, Nynaeve shrieked, that is the most outrageous thing I ever heard out of your mouth. The very idea of telling three women you love them! You are worse than a lecher. You apologize right now!'

Isabel sedai of the Green Ajah, Amyrlin of the Official Nynaeve Fanclub, first sister to Gennie Sedai of the Green Ajah, bonded to Camel, Wolf Gaidin, Jachthond and ghostrider.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:20 AM
Hero of the Horn

Ishara has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Ishara

What a moron.

But, I'm so proud of you! Taking him down a notch in a language you learned less than what? 5 years ago?! You're my hero.

And Canada is kind of awesome, just sayin...we have a great music scene, too...

Rand: You are an insensitive bastard!!!
Mat: And you ruined another hat!

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by lightening. -- Calvin

"Gee, I wish I could do magic! Maybe I'll try!" --SDog

Official Vixen of Theoryland and Theoryland Siren

Grain Goddess, the Rood Inverse, the Mad Glomper
Old 03-06-2014, 09:51 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishara View Post
And Canada is kind of awesome, just sayin...we have a great music scene, too...
Figures. Canada (Quebec, at least) is part of Latin America, after all.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:55 AM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Figures. Canada (Quebec, at least) is part of Latin America, after all.
So that's why we want to separate? Because we actually want to join Canada, and leave Latin America? Well I'll be damned.