art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7652

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > Theoryland Re-Read
User Name
Password

Old 01-10-2012, 10:55 PM
Hero of the Horn

Great Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to all
Default GL's reread and blog

I decided to wait until there were theoretically 6 months left before I started my reread. And after much hemming and hawing I decided that after all, I did want to blog about it, with a focus on the writing, not just rehashing what happened. I also am trying to keep loose tabs on new thoughts that occur regarding theories.

I've read all the prequel material including Big White Book, Strike at Shayol Ghul, New Spring, and Ravens. I'm a post or two behind, but will catch up tomorrow most likely, and delve into the Eye of the World.

If you're not planning to reread on your own before A Memory of Light is released, may I suggest you follow my blog, or look at one of the other chapter by chapter rereads on Tor or 13th depository, for a different skew.

Also, I am new to this technology called blogging. If you have suggestions, I'll be happy to hear them.

Enjoy!

http://greatlordofthedark.blogspot.com/
Old 01-11-2012, 02:05 AM
Hero of the Horn

Frenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Frenzy Send a message via Yahoo to Frenzy

sweet

"How the hell do you Godwin a thread with CUCUMBERS!!?" -- Tru

"I love cucumber prawn... " -- Ivhon

"Have to catch me first. Scared shitless always outruns mad as hell." -- Sinistrum

"Some days I'm happy Frenzy doesn't live next door." -- Tamyrlin

"So Frenzy is a scientist then?" -- Davian
"Well duh. An Evil scientist. " -- Khoram
Old 01-11-2012, 05:57 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Good luck! I tried to do that and got bogged down, but that's because I am not very good at half-measures and felt the need to analyze every bit of interesting character development, foreshadowing, etc. And there's a ton of foreshadowing in TEOTW...so I quit halfway through.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:18 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Tam should post a link to this on the main page or sticky this thread or something.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 01-16-2012, 10:26 AM
Hero of the Horn

Ishara has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Ishara

Yay! I tried to this myself once, and still have the ratty notebook I was making notes in until about CoS. That's about when I started marking up my own books, underlining, notes in margins etc. I guess I won't be lending my copies to neophytes after all, eh?

So, all that to say thanks for getting the ball rolling!

Rand: You are an insensitive bastard!!!
Mat: And you ruined another hat!

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by lightening. -- Calvin

"Gee, I wish I could do magic! Maybe I'll try!" --SDog

Official Vixen of Theoryland and Theoryland Siren

Grain Goddess, the Rood Inverse, the Mad Glomper
Old 01-18-2012, 11:42 PM
Hero of the Horn

Great Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to all
Default Half done EotW

Thanks for the tweet and support guys!

The reread is going smoothly. At 50 pages a day, I can read morning, noon, and night to keep pace, and feel like I am in a total Wheel of Time immersion. I haven't read Book 1 in a decade, I am guessing.

I have limited myself to 500-1000 words per post, to keep the daily pace, and avoid the trap of too many things to comment on. I think the daily experience will be worth more to me than exhaustive detail, which is best handled in a lengthy forum post. It is hard and fun to summarize my points as concisely as I can.

Another important reason to keep the daily pace is to train myself (finally) to sit at keyboard and type every day. I still have a novel that isn't getting written!
Old 03-02-2012, 12:58 AM
Hero of the Horn

Default On to the Shadow Rising

My reread blog just finished the Dragon Reborn. I'm not going to let the extra six months until publication of A Memory of Light detract from my goal of doing the whole reread in 6 months. However, seeing how this next book has smaller font and text running up to a quarter inch from the edge of the page, reading the required 50 pages a day will be more challenging.

Please give it a read if you are an aspiring writer, and provide feedback here or on the blog if anything jumps out at you.

See you in Rhuidean!
Old 03-02-2012, 08:11 AM
Hero of the Horn

Ishara has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Ishara

It's been great so far - am reading almost every day. You've added some insightful points that I'll be sure to take into account in later re-reads (although at this point I'll be luck to finish tGS before JordanCon), but just wanted to say that I think you're doing a great job so far!

Rand: You are an insensitive bastard!!!
Mat: And you ruined another hat!

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by lightening. -- Calvin

"Gee, I wish I could do magic! Maybe I'll try!" --SDog

Official Vixen of Theoryland and Theoryland Siren

Grain Goddess, the Rood Inverse, the Mad Glomper
Old 03-02-2012, 02:49 PM
Lord of the Board

Tamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tamyrlin
Default So..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Lord of the Dark View Post
My reread blog just finished the Dragon Reborn. I'm not going to let the extra six months until publication of A Memory of Light detract from my goal of doing the whole reread in 6 months. However, seeing how this next book has smaller font and text running up to a quarter inch from the edge of the page, reading the required 50 pages a day will be more challenging.

Please give it a read if you are an aspiring writer, and provide feedback here or on the blog if anything jumps out at you.

See you in Rhuidean!
You are coming to JordanCon right???
Old 03-02-2012, 11:17 PM
Hero of the Horn

Default Don't I wish

Tam, I am still looking for some way to ta'veren twist the Pattern so I can show up. I'm in Philly from April 16th to 20th, and I would owe mucho favours to Mrs. Dark if I run out again, or for longer.

I will probably just have to suck it up and settle for a later Theoryland North meet with the group who live within a few hours drive.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:49 PM
Lord of the Board

Tamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tamyrlin
Default Would be great timing for your re-read!

Quote:
Tam, I am still looking for some way to ta'veren twist the Pattern so I can show up. I'm in Philly from April 16th to 20th, and I would owe mucho favours to Mrs. Dark if I run out again, or for longer.

I will probably just have to suck it up and settle for a later Theoryland North meet with the group who live within a few hours drive.
Mucho favours to Mrs. Dark...c'mon, just do it!
Old 07-25-2012, 08:47 AM
Hero of the Horn

Default On to Winter's Heart

I have no doubt I'll be reading the requisite 50 pages a day while on vacation and even typing up a post on it, but the obstacle to be overcome is finding reliable internet access in the boonies.

I'm up to Winter's Heart, everything has been fun and smooth so far, the story still seems fairly focussed despite my memories that things start to come off the rails at this point.

If you're finding useful insights, or want me to pay attention to a particular part of the story, please drop a comment on the blog.

Happy Summer reading!
Old 10-03-2012, 12:14 AM
Hero of the Horn

Default Faile and Rolan

I am surprsied to find that Faile slept with Rolan, despite all my memories to the contrary. Maybe it has to do with Theorylanders being so driven by what's in the text we can't easily see what's bewteen the lines? Was I not paying attention back then? Why can't I find any old threads on this? See Knife of Dreams - Chapters 5-7 for discussion, in the blog link below.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:50 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Why can't I find any old threads on this?
Not enough pink ribbons. That is probably also why you overlooked it.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:25 PM
Elder

rand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant future

Unless Faile has completely trained herself to forget this "incident," I don't think those passages (in your blog) have the deeper meaning you're suggesting. Faile more or less states outright, later in KoD, that she never had to sleep with Rolan:

Quote:
Knife of Dreams - Chapter 26: As if the World Were Fog
The finger he drew softly down her cheek before walking away made her shiver. To Aiel, touching someone's cheek in public was as much as a kiss. It surely had felt like a kiss to her. Harmless? Somehow, she doubted that any game that involved kissing Rolan would end with just kissing. Luckily, she would not have to find out--or hide anything from Perrin--if Galina proved true. If.
And later she thinks that she might need to sleep with Rolan to convince him to help her escape, but when he's fine with the plan Faile is relieved that she won't have to cheat on Perrin.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:03 AM
Hero of the Horn

Default Not there yet

I figured that there were later direct remarks saying as much, but I am not there yet. When I do get there, I'll be looking for subtler stuff implying there's something more that happened.

Robert Jordan has been quite consistent in making his descriptions of objects, place and actions mean more than what is on the surface. But it may be as you suggest that this passage is more about how she expects she would feel if she went through with it than implying she actually did. I think if she felt Galina was unreliable she might not have wanted to risk not roping Rolan while she could. But, she also seems to understand she can't just say yes right away or she'll have nothing left to bargain with.

Nonetheless, I still think it's a brilliant paragraph.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:18 PM
Hero of the Horn

Default 10,000 views

2 months to go, 1.5 books left, 10,000 views to date. Either 50 of you keep coming back, or a lot of you visit sporadically. The most popular post is a theory about the Bore in Tel'aran'rhiod, both because I posted it here, but also a later Tor post linked to Theoryland, which linked to my post here about this theory, which led to a sudden surge of visits to my blog. October had more visits than any previous month, the highest before that having been after Tam tweeted the blog's existence to the community in January.

My last post on Semirhage collaring Rand and Faile's anti-confession was my longest yet. Can't afford to do that very often.

Anyway, if you're reading the blog, I hope you continue to enjoy it!
Old 12-13-2012, 12:11 AM
Hero of the Horn

Default Almost done

It's going to be close. About 600 pages, 16 more posts before the big day. Began working on A Memory of Light preview post, everything I expect to see based on the blog project. Should be long and detailed, and essentially replace the usual flurry of predictions I make just before the next book comes out.

Posted a facebook link to The Robert Jordan Story video, and a friend made a dismissive comment. I never unfriended someone before, but this is a capital offence. My hand hovers over the button.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:40 AM
Hero of the Horn

Default Done

Time for a break.

My detailed predictions for A Memory of Light are now posted. Have some fun and read them when you're done reading the book. I buy the book in approximately 3.33 hours. So Excited!

Thanks for reading along, I'll talk with you all in a few weeks, because I have to savour this. The Savour! So Strong!
Old 02-01-2013, 10:36 AM
Hero of the Horn

Default Reread starts up again

So deeply immersed in Wheel of Time, I decided it's best to polish off the reread now, and immediately get to enjoy A Memory of Light a second time!

Also pleased to note that the book's release and a timely post on the front page of Theoryland drew 2000 visits in January! Sweet! Thanks for visiting!

In the meantime, I posted a short review of an excerpt of Chapter 3 of the AUDIOBOOK of A Memory of Light. You can listen to it too, it is embedded in the blog.