art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > Theoryland Re-Read
User Name
Password

Old 12-08-2012, 09:27 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

I imagine he knew she wasn't dead.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:36 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Presumably, but it would have been interesting to know in what direction his locator sense was pointing.
Then there's the many lifetimes, with lots of danger and death, that Rand experienced. If Verin went through something similar, then Tomas would have felt her die a bunch of times. Even if she lived after that again, that still would have been somewhat unpleasant, at the very least.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:37 PM
Elder

Weiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
So Thom left his best knives stuck in a couple of Trollocs outside Shadar Logoth. Then, when he met a Lurk in Whitebridge, that Fade apparently gave him his knives back, and Thom then used those to fight off the Halfman.

Which, I must say, raises some questions on Myrddraal ethics. They don't seem to be as black and black as I'd thought so far.
Pshaw! No doubt this decrepit gleeman will change his story and claim they were his second-best knives lost at Aridhol.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:52 PM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoD, Prologue, Embers Falling on Dry Grass
Riding down the hillside, Ituralde smiled. If they saw the trap, then he had another plan already laid, and another behind that. He always looked ahead, and always planned for every eventuality he could imagine, short of the Dragon Reborn himself suddenly appearing in front of him. He thought the plans he had would suffice for the moment.
I think I'd missed this bit of foreshadowing. Then again, why ever would the Dragon Reborn do such a thing?
Old 12-15-2012, 11:56 AM
Hero of the Horn

When Egwene and Leane cuendillared the harbor chains and then were captured, what happened to their rowers?
I haven't found any mention of them, but it seems a bit unlikely that they were left to drown.

If an AS hides her ability to channel and then channels an inverted weave, would a male channeler still notice it?
I'm wondering whether the trick only works on women, and I can't remember evidence one way or another.

Cats are attracted to female channelers, dogs react aggressively on them.
Dogs are attracted to male channelers, cats avoid them.
How would those two species have reacted to Halima?
Old 12-15-2012, 12:05 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If an AS hides her ability to channel and then channels an inverted weave, would a male channeler still notice it?
I'm wondering whether the trick only works on women, and I can't remember evidence one way or another.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOD
“Cadsuane, Nynaeve, you’d better embrace the Source now,” he said. “We’re getting close.”

“I’ve been holding saidar since back on that hill,” Nynaeve told him. Cadsuane snorted and gave him a look that called him an idiot.

Rand stilled a grimace before it could begin. His skin felt no tingling, no goosebumps. They had masked their ability, and with it, shielded him from sensing the Power in them. Men had had few advantages over women when it came to channeling, but now they had lost those few while women retained all of theirs.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:24 PM
Hero of the Horn

I don't know what chapter that is in, but I strongly suspect it is some way beyond where I am right now in my reread. I've just had the scene where Selucia was evaluated a given horse.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:23 AM
Hero of the Horn

While rereading a scene where Gawyn decided not to eavesdrop on some AS, I realised that the wards against eavesdropping might not be as useful and secure as most AS think. Those wards stop people outside them from hearing what is said. They also give warning if someone tries to use the OP to listen in from a distance. But they don't help if the listener is already inside.

That, of course, doesn't matter all that much as long as you can simply see who is there, and shove anyone unwanted out of the door before beginning. But what about other listening devices?
For instance, would a ward detect a OP (or battery) operated cassette player? I don't think so.

Thus, all that is needed for those who want to eavesdrop is to install such a device in a place where secrets are shared, and then now and then replace the cassette/memory card/whatever is used to store sound. And to keep using probes to listen in, so as to give the impression that the wards are doing any good, of course.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:50 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
While rereading a scene where Gawyn decided not to eavesdrop on some AS, I realised that the wards against eavesdropping might not be as useful and secure as most AS think. Those wards stop people outside them from hearing what is said. They also give warning if someone tries to use the OP to listen in from a distance. But they don't help if the listener is already inside.
I'm pretty sure the Aes Sedai are aware of that. So when they want to ward against people inside, they do what Sheriam et al. did when they were making a deal with Bryne in Salidar.

Quote:
Thus, all that is needed for those who want to eavesdrop is to install such a device in a place where secrets are shared, and then now and then replace the cassette/memory card/whatever is used to store sound. And to keep using probes to listen in, so as to give the impression that the wards are doing any good, of course.
I'm sure once recording devices are (re)invented they'll think of something.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:41 AM
Ancient

Jalyn is a glorious beacon of lightJalyn is a glorious beacon of lightJalyn is a glorious beacon of lightJalyn is a glorious beacon of lightJalyn is a glorious beacon of lightJalyn is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Jalyn Send a message via MSN to Jalyn Send a message via Yahoo to Jalyn

Nyneave used exactly that loophole in Salidar to listen to the discussion with Tarna by just walking up to an open window.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:39 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalyn View Post
Nyneave used exactly that loophole in Salidar to listen to the discussion with Tarna by just walking up to an open window.
That worked on AS, it probably wouldn't work on half way competent conspirators.

Leaving a piece of wood with an inverted recording weave on it would work, though. At least, until someone chucked it on the fire, in order to get warm.
Maybe some further planning on what kind of innocuous thing would be most useful is required here.

As an addition: if you stuck your head in an anti-eavesdropping weave in such a way that one ear was inside it and the other on the outside, could you still follow what was being discussed while also being able to keep an ear on what was going on outside?
Old 12-26-2012, 04:53 AM
Hero of the Horn

I wondered about the first Portal Stone adventure that Rand had had, with Loial and Hurin. My question was: why?
What reason did Ishamael have for sending the Dragon off on such a wilde Grolm chase?
From the Shadow's point of view, it seems totally random. I know that Lanfear took advantage of this opportunity to stage a Damsel in Distress performance, but I doubt that was what Ishamael had planned when he did it.

Bonus question: why didn't he take the opportunity to kill Mat and Perrin, when he'd separated the Dragon from them?
Old 12-26-2012, 07:45 AM
Hero of the Horn

Why hasn't Tuon bothered to have Suroth questioned, after discovering her betrayal?
Old 12-26-2012, 08:14 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
I wondered about the first Portal Stone adventure that Rand had had, with Loial and Hurin. My question was: why?
What reason did Ishamael have for sending the Dragon off on such a wilde Grolm chase?
From the Shadow's point of view, it seems totally random. I know that Lanfear took advantage of this opportunity to stage a Damsel in Distress performance, but I doubt that was what Ishamael had planned when he did it.

Bonus question: why didn't he take the opportunity to kill Mat and Perrin, when he'd separated the Dragon from them?
It was Lanfear who brought Rand to the portal world. Egwene saw it in a dream. She wanted to force him to use the Power.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:31 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
It was Lanfear who brought Rand to the portal world. Egwene saw it in a dream. She wanted to force him to use the Power.
Well, maybe skipping that book entirely in this reread didn't quite work out. I'd sort of misremembered precisely when Ishamael and Lanfear appeared and, more relevantly, disappeared in that dream.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:27 PM
Elder

rand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant future

Regarding the wards against eavesdropping, would it possible to just make a gateway into the warded room and listen through it? Obviously a very small gateway. I don't remember if having a gateway opened next to you is enough to sense the weaves/channeling, though.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:44 AM
Hero of the Horn

One does feel it if a gateway opens. At least, men feel it when a man or a woman opens a gateway near them, and women feel it when another woman does so.

But of course that's no problem. Open a small gateway to the place you want to spy on when no one is there, yet, invert the weaves so they're not going to be noticed, and simply keep the thing open while the conspirators file into the room and start talking.

Still more of a fuss than my tape recorder weave would be, but on the other hand, it does use currently existing technology, which can be useful if you're not feeling all that innovative for some reason.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:49 AM
Hero of the Horn

Reading about Mat's approach to Hinderstap, I suddenly wondered: where are the Band followers?

Even Egwene has managed to acquirre a whole bunch of camp followers, and other armies also have them. But the Band doesn't. How come?
Old 12-27-2012, 02:43 PM
Elder

Ieyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Reading about Mat's approach to Hinderstap, I suddenly wondered: where are the Band followers?

Even Egwene has managed to acquirre a whole bunch of camp followers, and other armies also have them. But the Band doesn't. How come?
They have some followers, Setalle Ann being one of them, cooks, some were demonstrated in mat's slow crawl towards Illian... but I think for the most part they stay on the move too much (and too fast, its noted that mat's forces make as much as twice as much time as normal cavalry forces, and can keep up with the Aiel) for followers to keep up.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:00 AM
Hero of the Horn

I'm wondering: are AS still bound by the Three Oaths when they are in TAR?
I know that they believe they are, which serves to bind them while they are Dreaming. But I'm not sure that belief is actually warranted, as the Oath Rod seems to have quite clear physical repercussions.
An interesting question, of course, is how to test it. I haven't yet figured out a way of doing so.

Then, furthermore, there's corroboration for Thom's Prophecy from TDR, chapter 32:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS, Chapter 39, A Visit from Verin Sedai
"Heavens, no," Verin said. "She's many things, but not a Darkfriend. You'd sooner find a Whitecloak marrying an Aes Sedai than find Laras swearing to the Great Lord. Extraordinary woman. And quite good at judging the flavor of teas."
So I still think that Galad and Egwene are going to end up being married to each other.