art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Book Tour: A Memory of Light
User Name
Password

Old 01-11-2013, 11:23 PM
Elder

Res_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant future

I have an important question . . .

Did Tor not do any new bumperstickers this year? At my signing we had only the previous four from the last two books.

" 'Looks like the game can be won after all,' [Mat] said. 'Tell the foxes I'm mighty pleased with this key they gave me. Also, you can all go rot in a flaming pit of fire and ashes, you unwashed lumps on a pig's backside. Have a grand bloody day.' "

"Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day."
Old 01-13-2013, 08:56 AM
Youngling

halo6819 is a name known to allhalo6819 is a name known to allhalo6819 is a name known to allhalo6819 is a name known to allhalo6819 is a name known to allhalo6819 is a name known to allhalo6819 is a name known to allhalo6819 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Res_Ipsa View Post
I have an important question . . .

Did Tor not do any new bumperstickers this year? At my signing we had only the previous four from the last two books.
Apparently not, there were only the Bela, Asmodean, and Malkier at the BYU signing.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:30 PM
Youngling

klye is on a distinguished road
Default Any reports on the Q&A's?

And... so... yeah... any reports?
Old 01-16-2013, 10:11 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

There are a lot of reports at Dragonmount. I'm working on transcripts before I put them in the database, though; there are summaries of things we have audio or video for, so I want to work out what we can get verbatim first.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:12 AM
Dragonmount Admin

Luckers is just really niceLuckers is just really niceLuckers is just really niceLuckers is just really niceLuckers is just really niceLuckers is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepinghour View Post
We also have Peter (who is probably reading this...hi, Peter!) saying that:

My guess is that RJ wrote the final Rand POV and parts/summaries of the other POVs in the epilogue.

Peter stated to me:
Quote:
Jim's ending includes Rand looking back and seeing Cadsuane watching him. Brandon wrote the intervening Cadsuane POV. It breaks up the flow a bit, but they determined this was the best way to include what happens in her POV.

I should also say, Rand's epilogue scene is the one Jim wrote in full, but he did leave summaries of where other characters ended up at the end of the book, plus a few lines of dialogue, and that's what Brandon built the last chapter and the rest of the epilogue from. Brandon said most of this in one of the interviews I did of him this week for various sites, so I think it's OK to say here.
I then asked;

Quote:
Ah k. Does this mean Cadsuane becoming Amyrlin (or being pushed to be Amyrlin) was in Jim's notes?
He replied

Quote:
I can't answer that.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:40 AM
Elder

sleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckers View Post
Peter stated to me:
Quote:
I should also say, Rand's epilogue scene is the one Jim wrote in full, but he did leave summaries of where other characters ended up at the end of the book, plus a few lines of dialogue, and that's what Brandon built the last chapter and the rest of the epilogue from. Brandon said most of this in one of the interviews I did of him this week for various sites, so I think it's OK to say here.
That's what I figured... After I finished the book, I wrote to Terez:
Quote:
One of the biggest disappointments for me was how little of the epilogue felt like RJ. I can believe that RJ wrote the last Rand scene, but the other POVs in the epilogue felt very much like Brandon.
I don't like how their other statements led people to believe RJ wrote the whole thing himself when it was obvious he hadn't. The other POVs were full of Brandonisms, like the use and overuse of certain words (not "tempest" for once, but Brandon's also fond of "insufferable woman/man," "strode," "frowned," etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMoL epilogue
Tuon looked at Mat and frowned. “Where have you been?”
Mat raised his arm, and Tuon frowned, looking upward at nothing. [...]
Tuon frowned. The explosions reflected in her dark eyes.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:33 AM
Hero of the Horn

SauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to SauceyBlueConfetti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Personally, I think that scene works a lot better if its Nynaeve and not Caddy seeing Rand ride off. Nynaeve was the one that was suspicious about the Harem not acting super sad and it was Nynaeve that needed some sort of closure that she didnt fail to protect Rand (the entire reason she left the Two Rivers in the first place).

It would have been a great bookend to the entire Series for it to be her.
Sorry for back-tracking on this, but I just re-read the thread and this bit had me thinking.

At first I was a little disappointed in Nyn's "bit" part in the book...not that she wasn't important to the finale, but she was a fav character and I would've liked more direct thoughts from her. As I have let the book settle, and gone back to re-read a bit here, and there, and there...I realized Nyn's arc was actually quite apropo. The two women (mother figures in fact) who fought for Rand, and sometimes against each other, throughout the books were there with him until the end.

My initial jump into fantasy writing was Mary Stewart's Merlin trilogy...the Nimue character is actually not the typical evil enchantress of the Arthur legends...she is young, a bit naive. She grows as a character and ends up becoming the trusted advisor to Arthur, while helping Merlin head into the sunset and live the hermit-like life he prefers, all the while allowing the world to believe he is dead.

Rand, by NOT including Nyn in the secret is in fact protecting her and allowing her to move on. Of the original group that set out from the Two Rivers:
Perrin had already moved on...Rand saw that in his relationship with Faile.
Mat had moved on, (Rand's "colors" calling to him during battle and Mat announcing to the wind that he had his own stuff to do).
Egwene had let go of Rand long ago, and in fact was almost an equal in her own right. (OK, OK< not an equal, Egwene haters GO!)

Nynaeve had Lan, yes, but she still was protecting Rand until the end. With the loss of Egwene, Nyn would likely still feel the need to protect or mother Rand in someway. I think Rand, whether intentionally or not, was allowing Nyn to have her own life. He gave her an ending.
Yeah. Murderous Saucey. My superhero name
I am Detroit. You REALLY wanna call me wimpy?
Haphazardly Spell & Fact Checked Since June 2001
Old 02-08-2013, 04:36 AM
Youngling

halo6819 is a name known to allhalo6819 is a name known to allhalo6819 is a name known to allhalo6819 is a name known to allhalo6819 is a name known to allhalo6819 is a name known to allhalo6819 is a name known to allhalo6819 is a name known to all
Default LA signing

Hello all,
I just got back from the LA signing, I am currently uploading the Q&A to you tube, it will take an estimated 500 minutes and i started about 1:15 am PST but here is the link http://youtu.be/zDPQ4i1zYxk

Terez wanted me to ask if Perrin's soul and Hoppers are bound, Sanderson replied that she is on the right track and handed me a RAFO card. The person before me asked why Demandred did not use the TP during the last battle. Sanderson said he was wary of the TP and everything that came with it. "He may have been the smartest of all the forsaken for not wanting to use the TP"

I asked Harriet what made Jim want to write fantasy. She said that originally he was against it, but she got him to write a Conan book, and he loved it and kept writing fantasy. So we have her to thank even more then just being an awesome editor.

During my second pass through the line I mentioned I was a redditor and he asked if he ever replied to one of my threads. I had posted a copy of Terez's quote collection of Jordan saying "Three more books" from 1995-2007. He then told the story that Tom told him of RJ pitching the series:

Quote:
So Jim came and pitched me a trillogy, and he started telling me the story of this boy who is destined to save the world but has to die and gave a quick over view of the first book that ended with the boy pulling a sword that is not a sword from a stone that is not a stone. Now Tom knew that Jim liked to write long and offered him a contract for six books, Jim refused saying it was a trilogy, but Tom convinced him sign for six. He thought he was soooo smart getting Jim to sign for six books at beginning authors royalties, little did he know it would be another eight to finish the series
Also after everyone was done, I hung out with the memory keepers (as i had won a shirt in SLC and blended in) and there where some questions asked about Moridin wanting to die forever, Sanderson said that no he did not get his wish. I asked if Moradin had been on Dragonmount and had the opportunity that Rand had to end it all, would he. Sanderson said yes he would have.

The Memory Keepers where also asked to try and gather a list of the characters we would like to know the fates of and he would pass it along to Maria/Hariet to try and get those answered in the encyclopedia. There is a thread on reddit for those who have accounts, but i am sure one can be started here as well

That's all I can remember off the top of my head, the Memory Keepers said they would be compiling notes for the next couple days and maybe post a recap within the week.

Edit: the video is now live.

Last edited by halo6819; 02-08-2013 at 11:53 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:16 PM
Youngling

Mimi is an unknown quantity at this point

Terez, the tour on Feb 24, which state? Birmingham, Alabama?
Old 02-15-2013, 01:48 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

Yup. I will be there.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:13 AM
Youngling

Default Redditor got the two sentences

Not sure if this has been reported yet, but a redditor in Toronto asked Brandon what the two sentences of Infinity of Heaven are.

Quote:
The first is "Perrin is going to Shara to kill an old friend"
And the second is:
"Matt lying in a gutter wearing a tattered cloak"
Old 02-17-2013, 12:31 PM
Hero of the Horn

Yeah, we got them. FYI, Infinity of Heaven was going to be RJ's next series, which would have had nothing to do with WoT.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:58 AM
Elder

maacaroni has a brilliant futuremaacaroni has a brilliant futuremaacaroni has a brilliant futuremaacaroni has a brilliant futuremaacaroni has a brilliant futuremaacaroni has a brilliant futuremaacaroni has a brilliant futuremaacaroni has a brilliant futuremaacaroni has a brilliant futuremaacaroni has a brilliant futuremaacaroni has a brilliant future

Oh RJ, it was epic and could have been even more so.

A shame.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:46 PM
Youngling

epic is an unknown quantity at this point

So I haven't seen Michael (First among equals for Vancouver) write about the Vancouver signing at all yet. I was one of the Memory Keepers there and got a few things answered, but got more vague answers than anything.

Fields of Merrilor with all the rulers etc was all RJ

Vague as to who Laras was since RJ hinted at being more when she was younger. He said that the forums had pretty much figured it out.

Vague as to Verin's letters other than Mat's. I got the feeling that he didn't have time/forgot about them.

Gave some Mistborn answers as well, but I'll leave those out for now.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:59 PM
Youngling

Southpaw2012 is a jewel in the roughSouthpaw2012 is a jewel in the roughSouthpaw2012 is a jewel in the rough

have there been any more reports since Philly? That was the last one I saw and it wasn't even a report; just some pictures.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:48 PM
Hero of the Horn

Isabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Isabel

Quote:
Originally Posted by epic View Post
So I haven't seen Michael (First among equals for Vancouver) write about the Vancouver signing at all yet. I was one of the Memory Keepers there and got a few things answered, but got more vague answers than anything.

Fields of Merrilor with all the rulers etc was all RJ

Vague as to who Laras was since RJ hinted at being more when she was younger. He said that the forums had pretty much figured it out.

Vague as to Verin's letters other than Mat's. I got the feeling that he didn't have time/forgot about them.

Gave some Mistborn answers as well, but I'll leave those out for now.
Do you mean RJ wrote the complete merrilor scne? Or was it all in his notes about what hppened? That is a big difference.
'Rand al'Thor, Nynaeve shrieked, that is the most outrageous thing I ever heard out of your mouth. The very idea of telling three women you love them! You are worse than a lecher. You apologize right now!'

Isabel sedai of the Green Ajah, Amyrlin of the Official Nynaeve Fanclub, first sister to Gennie Sedai of the Green Ajah, bonded to Camel, Wolf Gaidin, Jachthond and ghostrider.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:12 AM
Hero of the Horn

Brandon has implied elsewhere that it was in the notes, and that not necessarily in too much detail. He has a habit of not making that distinction very well, and I think that's deliberate. But RJ might have written part of it; I'll try to find out more tonight.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:57 AM
Hero of the Horn

Last signing is tonight. Anyone have questions?
Old 02-22-2013, 08:44 AM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
Last signing is tonight. Anyone have questions?

Have we seen Nakomi in any other guise? Is she someone we would know?

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:04 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Nakomi is Demandred!