art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7652

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Non WoT Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 01-03-2016, 01:08 PM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Good Work, Southpaw

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-rural-oregon/

Quote:
An armed militia took over a building at a national wildlife refuge in Oregon late Saturday and vows to occupy the outpost for years to protest the federal government’s treatment of a pair of ranchers facing prison time.
The occupation of a portion of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge 30 miles southeast of Burns, Ore., followed a peaceful march for ranchers Dwight Hammond, 73, and Steven Hammond, 46, who are scheduled to report to federal prison in San Pedro, Calif., on Monday after being convicted of arson, according to the Oregonian.

Prosecutors said the father and son set the fire, which burned about 130 acres in 2001 on leased federal land, to conceal poaching, according to CNN. The Hammonds argued that they were attempting to reduce the growth of invasive plant species and ward off potential wildfires. The pair was sentenced to five years in prison.

Among the occupiers are several members of the Bundy family, whose patriarch — Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy — was involved in an armed standoff with government agents over grazing rights in 2014.

Ammon Bundy told the Oregonian that he and two of his brothers had joined dozens of people in seizing the refuge’s headquarters.

The federal property, managed by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, was closed and unoccupied for the holiday weekend, the Oregonian reported.

Ryan Bundy told the Oregonian that the group isn’t holding hostages and doesn’t want to resort to violence but will not rule it out if authorities attempt to remove the occupiers from the property. He said many of the occupiers would be willing to fight — and die — to reclaim constitutionally protected rights for local land management, according to the Associated Press.
Emphasis mine.

You show that Federal government who's boss, Southpaw.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:25 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Seems simple enough: put snipers around the building with "shoot to kill" orders, and just wait. After a couple of months or so the occupiers will run out of supplies, and then they try to order pizza. This won't work, since the pizza delivery service doesn't want to be shot dead, and thus the problem will be solved. Once all occupiers have starved to death a clean up team can go in to remove the corpses, and some time next year the building can be used for its designated purpose again.
As a bonus, this can be used by the US Army for life fire sniper training, thus saving the cost of doing that elsewhere.

Are there any actual downsides to this?
Old 01-04-2016, 10:37 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

A single JDAM through the roof and then mail the remains back to their respective families in plastic bags would be better.

Caedite Eos!

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 01-04-2016, 10:57 AM
Hero of the Horn

DahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to DahLliA

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the whole purpose of the 2nd amendment?

Right to carry arms, so that if the people don't like what the government is doing, they can use those arms to shoot back at the army?

Problem as I see it, is that "the people" is pretty hard to define

"'Profound... huh.' Temper was silent for a long moment, studying the cobbles of the alley mouth. And then he lifted his helmed head, faced Shadowthrone, and said, 'Fuck off.'"
Old 01-04-2016, 11:24 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahLliA View Post
Nuke them from orbit; it's the only way to be sure.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:57 AM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
A single JDAM through the roof and then mail the remains back to their respective families in plastic bags would be better.

Caedite Eos!
Can they do the Chinese thing and charge the family for the cost of the missile? Out of respect they could offer free shipping, but give them the option to upgrade to overnight courier if they want.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:58 AM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahLliA View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the whole purpose of the 2nd amendment?

Right to carry arms, so that if the people don't like what the government is doing, they can use those arms to shoot back at the army?

The 2nd Amendment (much like the problem with the interpretation of the 1st Amendment) means vastly different things to different people. This unfortunately is one of those sticky situations where the anarchic kooks are clearly in violation of numerous laws, and clearly deserving of being brought to justice, but arresting crazy people can be messy - like Ruby Ridge and Waco, or the Whiskey Rebellion back in the 1790s...

We have a long history of these sorts of tax evading and anti-govt dicks. Indeed our nascence was little more than a temper tantrum when mommy asked us to help repay her war debts from the French and Indian War which we had triggered.
Old 01-04-2016, 12:21 PM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post
We have a long history of these sorts of tax evading and anti-govt dicks. Indeed our nascence was little more than a temper tantrum when mommy asked us to help repay her war debts from the French and Indian War which we had triggered.
The French weren't exactly blameless, and Britain treated all of her colonies like shit. Granted, we probably had less to complain about than most, but less is not none. And we got a fantastic severence package.

Amusingly, many on the right are trying to equate this pack of rednecks with Black Lives Matter, or at least in terms of legitimacy.

The differences of course being: Black Lives Matter is not heavily armed, and they also have jobs that prevent them from jacking off in the woods for a few years.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:55 PM
Youngling

Southpaw2012 is a jewel in the roughSouthpaw2012 is a jewel in the roughSouthpaw2012 is a jewel in the rough
Red face

I don't support this, so nice try. However, it's funny you all are up in arms about white guys taking over a building, no force used, yet are silent when a bunch of black people burn down other people's property, as well as steal and loot from those who don't deserve it. Funny, though unsurprising.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:59 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw2012 View Post
I don't support this, so nice try. However, it's funny you all are up in arms about white guys taking over a building, no force used, yet are silent when a bunch of black people burn down other people's property, as well as steal and loot from those who don't deserve it. Funny, though unsurprising.
LOL...the "ironic" thing is that we're kidding but you're normally serious.

And nice try on placing this along the lines of Black Lives Matter...given that we've all bashed that fringe movement too.

But yeah.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 01-04-2016, 05:07 PM
Youngling

Southpaw2012 is a jewel in the roughSouthpaw2012 is a jewel in the roughSouthpaw2012 is a jewel in the rough

Yeah, those guys are stupid. Whether they are right, it's only going to lead to chaos.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:28 PM
Elder

Quote:
Yeah, those guys are stupid. Whether they are right, it's only going to lead to chaos.
Of course they might be right, and aren't a bunch of sisterfucking welfare queens who want to use civilian human shields.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:55 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Given that the two guys they're protesting in support of have disowned them and don't want anything to do with them...I'm guessing they're not right.

Also, these ranchers already get massive subsidies on land usage where they can rent federal land out at a pittance (maybe 5% of its actual private market value) with only minimal restrictions on its usage. Its pure gov't welfare to support ranching as it is. Yet they're bitching about the big evil gov't telling them HOW they get to use land that isn't even theirs and has NEVER been theirs.

Its part of the "I want to have my cake and eat it too" mentality you see so often in the Far Right. They want all the benefits of society while refusing to deal with the obligations that those benefits entail whether its "don't use all that water up" or "clean up that pollution from your ranch/farm" or "pay basic taxes for things".

Old 01-04-2016, 05:58 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

On a tangential note...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-35228848

Will be interesting to see just what he does, and just how much of a tantrum the right throws.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:04 PM
Hero of the Horn

I honestly think this is an idiotic decision by him that will only hurt the Left come November. Gun Control is a huge wedge issue in swing states like PA, CO, OH and FL. Threatening gun rights really brings out the Right and a big chunk of the Center to vote against it whereas the Left really isn't motivated t to show up to vote in support of it.

Add in the coming economic slowdown thanks to China's paper dragon finally imploding and it suddenly becomes a toss-up election in November potentially.

Why risk it...why risk handing over the Presidency when you can't really do much of anything via Executive Order anyway? Just a stupid gesture by him.

Last edited by Davian93; 01-04-2016 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:14 PM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
I honestly think this is an idiotic decision by him that will only hurt the Left come November. Gun Control is a huge wedge issue in swing states like PA, CO, OH and FL. Threatening gun rights really brings out the Right and a big chunk of the Center to vote against it whereas the Left really isn't motivated t to show up to vote in support of it.

Add in the coming economic slowdown thanks to China's paper dragon finally imploding and it suddenly becomes a toss-up election in November potentially.

Why risk it...why risk handing over the Presidency when you can't really do much of anything via Executive Order anyway? Just a stupid gesture by him.
Colorado more so than most. A month hardly goes by when there isn't some sort of shooting spree going on it seems.

Maybe not that often, but it seems something is in the water down there.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:19 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand al'Fain View Post
Colorado more so than most. A month hardly goes by when there isn't some sort of shooting spree going on it seems.

Maybe not that often, but it seems something is in the water down there.
Its a fairly rural state with a ton of hunters...same as OH and PA. Lots of OH & PA are very conservative older white Democrats mixed in with the urban area democrats (overwhelmingly minorities in Pittsburgh and Philly). PA is basically two cities with Alabama in between for forward thinking. I grew up there, I still have a TON of friends and family there and they will vote Dem as long as you don't piss them off with things like taking their guns. OH is nearly the same but even more Red than PA due a more rural population. FL is obviously always a major swing state.

Here's another bit on the whole "protest/sit-in" crap: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...cid=538twitter

Great article on how hypocritical they're being about the cost of using federal land. If it was privatized like they "want", they couldn't afford it and they'd all be bought out by mega corporate farms anyway. They're idiots.

Old 01-04-2016, 09:03 PM
Ancient

Quote:

You may well be right, but that doesn't change the truly depressing fact that nothing that he is presumably (at least what has supposedly been leaked so far) putting forth should be controversial.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-35229294

Quote:
Under the plan announced on Monday evening by the White House:
All sellers must be licensed and conduct background checks, overturning current exemptions to some online and gun show sellers
States must provide information on people disqualified due to mental illness or domestic violence
FBI will increase workforce processing background checks by 50%, hiring more than 230 new examiners
Congress will be asked to invest $500m (£339m) to improve access to mental healthcare
The departments of defence, justice and homeland security will explore "smart gun technology" to improve gun safety
Old 01-04-2016, 09:38 PM
Hero of the Horn

None of it should even be debatable and these are all measures that were perfectly acceptable even under Bush Jr and would have been considered insane (for their LACK of reach) by Bush Sr or Mr. Brady Bill himself St. Reagan.

But it will be and it'll be twisted way out of proportion by the Right as a get out the vote measure.

Old 01-05-2016, 03:48 AM
Youngling

fionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant future

Quote:
I don't know... fear of exactly this set of events has led to pretty much nothing changing. Doing what he's doing can bring out the right, sure, but it might just energize gun opponents too.

If common sense proposals to stop selling guns without licenses to people without a mental health clearance will bring out the worst in the right wing... maybe this country needs to see that.

Also, I find the very idea of comparing this to BLM absurd. Those guys are extreme, but they're reacting to a very real problem which has been repeatedly ignored by the rest of society. This... this is a tantrum with guns.