art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - Non Wot Discussion Boards > Archived: Non WoT Related Discussion 09/08 - 09/09
User Name
Password

Old 05-05-2009, 10:22 AM
Hero of the Horn

Anaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant future
Default Coding help

soo, I'm once again trying to put a silly little website together, and somehow I had it in my head that I have managed to make one with Photoshop and Dreamweaver, and basic HTML skills, before.
I can't remember how

Basically, I have an image of what it's supposed to look like, and I've even got that same thing in separate files, so I can put it into the different frames (header, two sidebars, main area - how on earth do I get rid of the damn footer?!?), but it keeps just leaving stupid white edges everywhere, and it's all falling apart.
I was thinking of possibly inserting them as frame backgrounds, but I can't ***** remember how to do that either.
I'm useless

someone please take pity on me and help me out, I'm at the end of my wits and reaching the end of my patience.. (I hate not having my own laptop to work on )
Old 05-05-2009, 10:46 AM
Hero of the Horn

Anaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant future

I've managed to put the bits into the frames, but is there a way of making the frame borders invisible?

And to stop the images repeating itself when I use them as background images?
I bet there's a better way of inserting a permanent banner, but I'm too stupid...
Old 05-05-2009, 10:57 AM
Hero of the Horn

JSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to JSUCamel Send a message via MSN to JSUCamel Send a message via Yahoo to JSUCamel

Email me the image. jsucamel at gmail.com. I'll see what I can do.

"Nice try, Jack!" - Robert Jordan (to Camel)
"Camel must be the coolest TLer ever, by now." -GLotD

A grilled cheese eaten more than five minutes later is just no good. -Crispin

Old 05-05-2009, 11:16 AM
Hero of the Horn

thanks, I've sent you one over, let me know if I'm crazy or just useless and dumb
Old 05-05-2009, 11:47 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaiya Sedai
let me know if I'm crazy or just useless and dumb
Difficult decision. Do you mind if we discuss it a bit, before giving our final verdict?
Old 05-05-2009, 12:10 PM
Hero of the Horn

well, in general, I would vote for all three, but when it comes to building that page, I think I am just useless and dumb.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:41 PM
Hero of the Horn

Dragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Dragon Thief

If camel can't do it - which I doubt - post whatever content you have online and I can do it. But I think camel's better at design than me, I'm a coder junkie myself.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:46 PM
Hero of the Horn

Mort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Mort

Not much of a webdesigner. All I know is that the standard nowadays is that instead of using frames, people use CSS. A little tricker, but not much. Depending on how large the site is gonna be and how it should look, CSS is a better way of doing things.

"I discovered at an early age that if I talk long enough, I can make anything right or wrong. So either I am God, or truth is relative." - Jeff Winger, Community
----------

We rode on the winds of the rising storm, we ran to the sounds of thunder.
We danced among the lighting bolts, and tore the world asunder.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:49 PM
Youngling

Mat is Better has a spectacular aura aboutMat is Better has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaiya Sedai
Basically, I have an image of what it's supposed to look like, and I've even got that same thing in separate files, so I can put it into the different frames
I'm not sure what you mean by frames. Frames are an out of date tool that are frowned upon in web design these days. Maybe you meant to put it in a table. I would use CSS Divs. Divs are better than tables in most cases.

CSS is great. You can have radically different looking websites just by changing a couple of lines in your css files.

Lemme know if you need any additional help.

Last edited by Mat is Better; 05-06-2009 at 06:59 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:02 PM
Hero of the Horn

Mort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Mort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat is Better
I do CSS Divs. I'm not sure what you mean by frames. Frames are an out of date tool that are frowned upon in web design these days. Maybe you meant to put it in a table. Any way Divs are better than tables in most cases also.

By frames I mean Frames.

I'm just pointing out that depending on what the site is going to be used for, it may not be worth the hassle if she needs to learn CSS to make it work when Frames are still supported by all known browsers.

CSS is in all likelyhood the better choice when designing a website but if she has no interest in learning CSS, frames can work as long as it supports what she needs to have done. Also, if what is needed is simple, someone could help her with the CSS and maybe she doesn't even have to touch that part of the code again, then CSS away.

Cames will probably work it out

"I discovered at an early age that if I talk long enough, I can make anything right or wrong. So either I am God, or truth is relative." - Jeff Winger, Community
----------

We rode on the winds of the rising storm, we ran to the sounds of thunder.
We danced among the lighting bolts, and tore the world asunder.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:13 PM
Hero of the Horn

JSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to JSUCamel Send a message via MSN to JSUCamel Send a message via Yahoo to JSUCamel

I got it under control guys

Old 05-06-2009, 07:25 PM
Youngling

Mat is Better has a spectacular aura aboutMat is Better has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort
I'm sorry. I didn't mean to quote you. The reason why I was wondering what she meant is because frames are rarely used and especially rarely used for layouts. Tables are much more common for layouts, but CSS is the standard for professional sites.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:36 PM
Hero of the Horn

It all depends on your philosophy. If you're a semantic web coder (all the rage these days), then you do things the way they're defined. A table, by definition, is for tabular data -- basically anything that might go on a spreadsheet.

Divisions/dividers (or divs) are used for layout.

CSS and tables aren't mutually exclusive, not by a long run.

The whole idea behind CSS is to separate the structure of the website from the style of the website. If you're using tables, you're using structure to dictate style. If you use divs, you're setting the structure up and then styling it later.

On a table format, if I want to move my menu from being a horizontal menu at the top of the page to a vertical menu at the left side of the page, I can certainly do that, but I would have to essentially rewrite every cell of that page to make it work. Content would have to be shifted, cells resized, rows added, columns deleted... Pain in the ass.

In CSS, I can simply change the style. Instead of this:

Code:
.menu ul li {
    float: left; /* This moves the list-item (li) next to the one before it.. if it runs out of space in the unordered list (ul) item, it wraps) */
}
I can say:

Code:
.menu ul li {
    float: none;  /* Doesn't float left anymore, so each list-item is displayed vertically */
}
And voila, it's changed from a horizontal to a vertical menu.

It's a little more complicated than that, but that's a very basic example intended to prove the point.