art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (3): qrbevacquawerne, aarakatholl, eimplestac,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - Non Wot Discussion Boards > Archived: Non WoT Related Discussion 09/08 - 09/09
User Name
Password

Old 02-21-2009, 09:59 AM
Hero of the Horn

Anaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant future
Default help, I'm stuck!

I have a problem. (another one, yay!)
My passport is valid until next monday.
To get a new one, I would have to be at the KVR in munich at a time when it's actually open, I have to be there in person, hand over the old passport, sign some forms, then a form that would say that it's ok for my mother to pick it up, and then have it posted to me.

But I can't get there in time.

At the embassy in london, it typically takes 6 months to get a new passport - precious time I just don't have. Apart from the fact that we had a holiday planned for April, I just simply don't want to be stuck in the UK for 6 months with no way out.
The train and the ferry both require you to carry a valid passport, even though the EU borders are supposed to be open.

One option would be to get married in two weeks (the minimum notice period) and then attempt to apply for a British passport. No idea how long that takes. No idea if that would even be possible without a valid passport or birth certificate (mine would not just have to be renewed, but also translated from romanian).

I have tried phoning the German embassy in London, but they only have 2 hours of open phone lines every day, and it's impossible to get through. I have also sent them an email attempting to explain the situation, but I know what civil servants are like, and I don't exactly have high hopes there.

Does anyone have any clever suggestions?
I think I'm in some fairly deep shit here...
Old 02-21-2009, 10:23 AM
Hero of the Horn

Ivhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Ivhon Send a message via Yahoo to Ivhon

Ok. Simple, really. First you, umm....yeah, well...ahhh....right, then. You uhh...definitely can...err...

Nothin.

I got nothin.

Just don't forget to breathe.

Proud owner of the first post on TL's VBulletin forum (sorry...I had ta )

Greeter Emeritus
Old 02-21-2009, 10:31 AM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

would it be possible to go down to the Embassy in London? Or perhaps a Consulate somewhere?

Looking it up there's one in Lewins Mead, Bristol (which is I think about 20-25 km from Bath, where I believe you are).

On the lnk above there's a link to a .doc file with the relevant information for contacting the person there. Might have better luck getting in contact with them and they might know how to get a hold of someone in the Embassy.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:45 AM
Hero of the Horn

Anaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant future

http://www.london.diplo.de/Vertretun...erbereich.html
Quote:
Office hours:
Monday - Friday only with appointment

Collections passport:

Monday - Friday 09.00 - 10.30 (Last Entry)

Telephone enquiries:
Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays: 09.00-11.00
Tuesdays, Thursdays: 13.30-15.30

Tel: 020 7824 1463 / 1464

Appointment system:
All passport applicants have to make an appointment.

To arrange your appointment please call the Embassy at the following times:

Monday to Thursday: 11.00-16.00 on 0207 824 1426
Fridays: 11:00-13:00 on 0207 824 1426

Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays: 09.00-11.00 on 0207 824 1463 / 1464
Tuesdays, Thursdays: 13.30-15.30 on 0207 824 1463 / 1464
they aren't very helpful.

I didn't realise there was one in bristol, that might be easier for me, it's only 15-20 minutes by car.
they just all have the most impossible office hours.. >.<
and the waiting times might still apply.

*bashes head on keyboard*
Old 02-21-2009, 02:53 PM
Mistress of Novices

Zaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Zaela Sedai Send a message via MSN to Zaela Sedai Send a message via Yahoo to Zaela Sedai Send a message via Skype™ to Zaela Sedai

see the problems with so many countries in a small continent?

Good luck sweetie

The One, the Original, the ONLY Z
Beware of impostors

In Brandon We Trust
This TL Siren is bonded to Pops, XX, DaiShan and DeiwosTheSkyGod. Allied with Seeker and Guarded by Hopper
General of the Western Border, Valkyrie of the Autumn Storm, Destined Fury
Old 02-21-2009, 05:46 PM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

The British are generally quite insistent about not being on the Continent. Nowadays, at least. A couple of centuries ago they were just as insistent about wanting to conquer large parts of it, but a witch* stopped that.

* According to the English. The French said she's a saint. The church, of course, agreed with both of them.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:09 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat
The British are generally quite insistent about not being on the Continent. Nowadays, at least. A couple of centuries ago they were just as insistent about wanting to conquer large parts of it, but a witch* stopped that.

* According to the English. The French said she's a saint. The church, of course, agreed with both of them.
In the Church's defense, wasn't that during the Schism period...

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 02-21-2009, 10:25 PM
Hero of the Horn

Ishara has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Ishara

Hey! Chin up. You lose nothing by trying, and frankly, most organizations take these types of emergency situations into account. They do have rushed passport service here in Canada, so it's a possibility for sure at least. Just go and wait in line until they see you and explain the situation as clearly as possible. Take all documentation you think you might need and bring your fiancee if at all possible. You might need a sponser?

Good luck!

Rand: You are an insensitive bastard!!!
Mat: And you ruined another hat!

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by lightening. -- Calvin

"Gee, I wish I could do magic! Maybe I'll try!" --SDog

Official Vixen of Theoryland and Theoryland Siren

Grain Goddess, the Rood Inverse, the Mad Glomper
Old 02-22-2009, 06:09 AM
Hero of the Horn

Sarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishara
Hey! Chin up. You lose nothing by trying, and frankly, most organizations take these types of emergency situations into account. They do have rushed passport service here in Canada, so it's a possibility for sure at least. Just go and wait in line until they see you and explain the situation as clearly as possible. Take all documentation you think you might need and bring your fiancee if at all possible. You might need a sponser?
Thing is... She's in the UK, but want a new German passport...

the Grey Viper, the Lord of Forsaken Roads, the Pink Sunset
Old 02-22-2009, 07:53 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Getting stuck in an airport for six months until you finally get a new passport does not seem like a good idea in practice, though I suspect one could make a movie out of it.

I don't know where Anaiya plans to go on holiday, but if it is anywhere but Germany then she would risk getting tangled up in the bureaucracy of three countries, which is undoubtedly an 'interesting' experience, but not one I'm eager to try myself.
If you do try that, Anaiya, please let us know your experiences. I'm sure the resulting thread will be well worth reading.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:06 AM
Elder

cathar is on a distinguished road

I volunteer to be the spouse in the marraige option.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:18 AM
Hero of the Horn

Sarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathar
I volunteer to be the spouse in the marraige option.
I believe she already has a candidate for that.

the Grey Viper, the Lord of Forsaken Roads, the Pink Sunset
Old 02-22-2009, 11:24 AM
Hero of the Horn

JSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to JSUCamel Send a message via MSN to JSUCamel Send a message via Yahoo to JSUCamel

Quote:
Getting stuck in an airport for six months until you finally get a new passport does not seem like a good idea in practice, though I suspect one could make a movie out of it.
Hope that was a joke

"Nice try, Jack!" - Robert Jordan (to Camel)
"Camel must be the coolest TLer ever, by now." -GLotD

A grilled cheese eaten more than five minutes later is just no good. -Crispin

Old 02-22-2009, 11:41 AM
Hero of the Horn

the consulate option might be the best, I managed to find someone who has had to go through the whole rubbish before, and yes, waiting times for an appointment are usually around 6 months, but because I'm pregnant and a student, and "stuck" in another country with "inferior healthcare" (according to them, anyway), I have a chance of being classed as emergency and get a provisional passport which is valid for a year. provided I can get show them my birth certificate and the little piece of paper that shows I became a legal german citizen in 1989 when we moved there.
no idea if they'll accept my romanian birth certificate though.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:06 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSUCamel
Hope that was a joke
Mostly. Though there is a movie based on a very similar concept. I'll summarise what I remember of the plot, though I have to warn that I didn't watch all of it.
A man is changing planes at some airport, and then there is a revolution in his homeland. As a result, his passport suddenly is not valid anymore, and he can't get onto his connecting flight. He isn't allowed to leave the airport either, so he has to camp in the transit hall.
As far as I can remember, the movie had a title, but I have no idea what it was.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:15 PM
Hero of the Horn

JSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to JSUCamel Send a message via MSN to JSUCamel Send a message via Yahoo to JSUCamel

Quote:
Mostly. Though there is a movie based on a very similar concept. I'll summarise what I remember of the plot, though I have to warn that I didn't watch all of it.
A man is changing planes at some airport, and then there is a revolution in his homeland. As a result, his passport suddenly is not valid anymore, and he can't get onto his connecting flight. He isn't allowed to leave the airport either, so he has to camp in the transit hall.
As far as I can remember, the movie had a title, but I have no idea what it was.
Yes, "The Terminal" with Tom Hanks. Great movie.

"Nice try, Jack!" - Robert Jordan (to Camel)
"Camel must be the coolest TLer ever, by now." -GLotD

A grilled cheese eaten more than five minutes later is just no good. -Crispin

Old 02-23-2009, 08:48 AM
Hero of the Horn

Gilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond repute

I did like that movie. It was kind of odd, though.

Ana, since I don't have a passport from my own country, I can't help you, since I wouldn't even know where to begin to get one here.

By: Steampunk Boba Fett
Old 02-23-2009, 08:52 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilshalos Sedai
I did like that movie. It was kind of odd, though.

Ana, since I don't have a passport from my own country, I can't help you, since I wouldn't even know where to begin to get one here.
Post Office in the U.S. Although if you have the money and like standing in line you can renew your passport/get a new one on the same day if you go to the proper State Dept building. It'll cost you (I believe the service is something like $500.00 and it could be as much as $1K) and they like a good reason for such service (like you just got hired to go overseas, etc). That's in the U.S. I have no idea otherwise.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 02-23-2009, 09:00 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

you just need *an* ID that is valid to travel within EU/Schengen. so if you happen to have an ID card you're home safe:

Q: As an EU citizen, do I need a passport or ID card to travel between EU countries?

A: You will not need to show a passport or identity card when travelling between any two of the following countries: Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain or Sweden. You will need a valid passport or ID card to travel to and from Ireland, the United Kingdom, Cyprus which joined the EU in 2004 and Bulgaria and Romania which joined in 2007.

It is, however, advisable to carry your passport or ID card with you when you are travelling in the EU as you may be required to prove your identity for security reasons. This may be the case, for instance, when checking in or boarding a plane at an airport.

http://europa.eu/abc/travel/faq/index_en.htm#1

edit: my sis lost her passport while travelling in the UK and she got a substitute passport within a day (thanks to my mom orchestrating everything in the 3 days it took for the class trip to get from Scotland to London, she faxed them her birth certificate and whatnot so all my sis had to do was get a picture of herself and show up. Which she did... by metro... for the first time in a strange city... On the day of the metro bombings in London...) from the consulate. So if you tell them it's an emergency I'm sure the proverbially precise Germans can manage it within a week even if your actual passport is expired rather than lost.

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill

Last edited by yks 6nnetu hing; 02-23-2009 at 09:08 AM.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:39 AM
Hero of the Horn

My ID card ran out on the same day as my passport.
The only thing I have would be my driving license, but I doubt they would accept that at the border control.

I got a reply from the embassy this morning, telling me that they would be prepared to give me an emergency appointment at the embassy in london in a little over 3 weeks instead of 6 months, and that I can get an emergency provisional passport within 2-3 days for 40, or a fully valid passport on the speedy route in 3 weeks (too late for me anyway) for a whooping 100... nevermind that it costs me another 40 to travel to london because the consulate in bristol don't do passports.

*sighs*

I shall never wish for snow again.