art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - Non Wot Discussion Boards > Archived: Non WoT Related Discussion 09/08 - 09/09
User Name
Password

Old 05-21-2009, 03:48 PM
Hero of the Horn

Anaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant future
Default simple mistake, could have happened to anyone

A bank accidentally transferred 10 million dollars into the account of a couple living in NZ when they requested a 10k overdraft. They are now on the run and wanted by Interpol.

Linky
Quote:
Accidental NZ Millionaires Go On The Run

Thursday, May 21 10:17 am
SkyNews Sky News 2009

Huan Di Zhang and Hui Gao asked Westpac Bank for a $10,000 (4,900) overdraft but instead received a deposit of $10m (4.9m), according to the New Zealand Press Agency.

The pair are believed to have owned a petrol filling station in the North Island tourist resort of Rotorua, which has since shut down and been put into receivership.

"The individuals associated with this account are believed to have left New Zealand," said Detective Senior Sergeant David Harvey of New Zealand Police.

"Police (are) working through Interpol to locate those individuals," he went on.

"Westpac Bank has recovered some of the money which had been inappropriately withdrawn."

He did not say how much had been recovered and refused to confirm any other details about the case.

Banking Ombudsman Liz Brown said it is a criminal offence for someone to spend money accidentally put into their bank account if they know the money is not theirs.

Ms Brown has been banking obudsman for 15 years and told Rotorua's The Daily Post she has only seen 10 to 20 cases of this nature.

They are legally referred to as "payment by mistake", she said.

"There haven't been cases of millions of dollars but certainly ones where there have been several thousand dollars," she said.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:12 PM
Hero of the Horn

Brita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond repute

Great, now I have Steve Miller running through my head. "Go on, take the money and run, woo hoo hoo".

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. ― Anthony Bourdain
Old 05-21-2009, 04:35 PM
Hero of the Horn

Anaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant future

wouldn't you be tempted to do the same? you could buy an island for that money...

on the other hand, I wonder if they would offer you a reward for voluntarily giving it back..
Old 05-21-2009, 05:09 PM
Hero of the Horn

Sinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Sinistrum

Edit: wrong thread!

People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. - River Tam

Last edited by Sinistrum; 05-21-2009 at 05:49 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:21 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinistrum
Dude, Gilly, what did you expect? Mort comes from the same area of the world that thinks the following is quality pop music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPrnduGtgmc

Wrong thread perchance?
Old 05-21-2009, 05:40 PM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe it is a reply to the coming hijack?
Hey, Sinistrum, switch off your precognition. It's scaring the noobs.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:48 PM
Hero of the Horn

Sinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Sinistrum

I was wondering what happened there. Yeah somehow that cross posted...er I mean it was totally my seeing the future. Yup yup yup.

People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. - River Tam
Old 05-21-2009, 06:01 PM
Hero of the Horn

tworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to tworiverswoman

~waits for the world to come to an end...~
"once I'm naked, i can't get any cooler!" - Camel

Back in my day Pluto was a planet!
Old 05-21-2009, 11:53 PM
Ancient

Zanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant future

it pains me to say this but it is a form of fraud to use a banking error to your own profit. even if you did not have anything to do with the error. a guy in south dakota did the same thing when he found the million or so dollars in his account ... he spent 10k of it and was caught and spent 6 years in prison
the only Z

fairy dust for sale 8.99 per vial

"YES!" - Cary Sedai

"Perhaps science,... [is] simply magic with delusions of lack of grandeur." -Peter David, Restoration

The Greatest Thread
Old 05-22-2009, 11:20 AM
Ancient

Ozymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanguini
it pains me to say this but it is a form of fraud to use a banking error to your own profit. even if you did not have anything to do with the error. a guy in south dakota did the same thing when he found the million or so dollars in his account ... he spent 10k of it and was caught and spent 6 years in prison
Why would it "pain you" to say that? Thats obvious. If 5 million bucks show up where they shouldn't be, you know something is up and should notify someone. Just the same as if you woke up one day and saw there was several thousand dollars inexplicably missing, it wouldn't be an "oops, oh well" situation... you'd freak out, and rightly so. Well, the same applies in reverse.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:26 PM
Ancient

Zanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant future

Well if a bank accidentally puts money into your account i think it should be your right to use it
the only Z

fairy dust for sale 8.99 per vial

"YES!" - Cary Sedai

"Perhaps science,... [is] simply magic with delusions of lack of grandeur." -Peter David, Restoration

The Greatest Thread
Old 05-22-2009, 12:34 PM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

It depends (at least here) on whether or not you might have noticed the mistake. If they had gotten 15,000 instead of the 10,000 they were supposed to get, they probably wouldn't have been at fault if they had simply used that. But getting ten million should suggest that something is not right.
One might almost conclude that they had gotten that same idea, based on how quickly and effectively they scarpered (with the money), once they discovered it.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:51 PM
Ancient

pops taer is a name known to allpops taer is a name known to allpops taer is a name known to allpops taer is a name known to allpops taer is a name known to allpops taer is a name known to allpops taer is a name known to allpops taer is a name known to allpops taer is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to pops taer
Default Ill gotten gain!!!

No matter whether the error was human or a computer glitch, the money isn't yours and you are obligated to point out the error. Just the same as if you are given the incorrect change at a cash register. And it is fraud/theft by deceit or whatever, it's a crime.

Can't say I wouldn't be tempted, but I prize keeping my cute butt out of prison and clear of Bubba and Guido!!!!

Officially adoptive Theoryland father of Birgitte, Cary Fairy, Sarafelle, leanne, Salem, Paige from New Mexico and J'Lo.

Lord but not Master to - Lady tanaww, Lady Tru, Lady Anaiya, Lady Aly, Lady Ishara, Lady Teri, Lady Jen and Lady Gina.

You can never do something again. You are only able to do something similar.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:19 PM
Ancient

Ozymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanguini
Well if a bank accidentally puts money into your account i think it should be your right to use it
And if they accidentally take it out, then its just too bad?

Sure. Your lack of ethics and moral/financial responsibility is representative of the great scummitude of the American marketplace and is responsible for most of the financial woes it brings on itself.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:17 AM
Ancient

Purple Dragon is a glorious beacon of lightPurple Dragon is a glorious beacon of lightPurple Dragon is a glorious beacon of lightPurple Dragon is a glorious beacon of lightPurple Dragon is a glorious beacon of lightPurple Dragon is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias
And if they accidentally take it out, then its just too bad?

Sure. Your lack of ethics and moral/financial responsibility is representative of the great scummitude of the American marketplace and is responsible for most of the financial woes it brings on itself.

uhm... hmmm... can we now claim that the reason for the whole financial break thing is REALLY just a matter of clumsy bankers?

they asked for it dammit... next time i get 10,000,000 "accidently" transfered to me... mwahahaha... Hawaii here i come

(pssst... i once worked IN a Bank... accidently transfering that much too much, weeeell... not really THAT easy)
Adopted Big Brother to Birgitte (the lazy git
Adopted Big Brother to Sarafelle - The Brave
Master Asha'man Dragon of Cary the Fairy and T'rubarb
Old 05-29-2009, 11:47 AM
Hero of the Horn

Come to think of it: if you run off with such 10,000,000 and then get caught, couldn't you claim that you thought you'd fallen victim to an honest Nigerian?
Old 05-29-2009, 11:56 AM
Hero of the Horn

Gilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond repute

LMAO

By: Steampunk Boba Fett
Old 06-01-2009, 07:57 PM
Ancient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Dragon

uhm... hmmm... can we now claim that the reason for the whole financial break thing is REALLY just a matter of clumsy bankers?

they asked for it dammit... next time i get 10,000,000 "accidently" transfered to me... mwahahaha... Hawaii here i come

(pssst... i once worked IN a Bank... accidently transfering that much too much, weeeell... not really THAT easy)
No, my point was that a general irresponsibility and a desire to run off with money you KNOW you shouldn't be playing around with is whats causing this crisis.

The subprime mortgage situation is based on greedy bankers. But I have always held that equally greedy people cause that attitude to exist. People deep in credit card debt like to blame ibankers for the economic problems, and refuse to accept the possibility of buying a 30000 dollar car on a 40 grand salary.