art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > General Wheel of Time Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 09-21-2013, 06:50 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Flight From Shadow WoT Fan Film

http://kryptonradio.com/2013/09/20/h...t-from-shadow/

Interesting...I wonder how the people that own the actual WoT film rights feel about this...

It's "okay" at times at least.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 09-21-2013, 07:24 PM
Youngling

Tomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant future

Nice effort with limited means.

Hmmm, if one would extrapolate the time.
1 chapter > 20 minutes
53 chapters > 1000 minutes
1 book ~ 17 hours
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. (Marx)
Old 09-21-2013, 11:58 PM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

I really wish I could praise the hell out of this. I mean, at least the production values were high by the standards of a fan film. They clearly went to a lot of trouble... I just wish they had gone to a bit more. Every man who can channel is a false dragon now? Gentling involves execution with A GIANT HAMMER? Channel the True Source? WTH? I think much better is possible, and if WOT has to be adapted, it deserves a better adaptation. Sorry.

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known
Old 09-22-2013, 08:01 PM
Elder

Cor Shan has much to be proud ofCor Shan has much to be proud ofCor Shan has much to be proud ofCor Shan has much to be proud ofCor Shan has much to be proud ofCor Shan has much to be proud ofCor Shan has much to be proud ofCor Shan has much to be proud ofCor Shan has much to be proud ofCor Shan has much to be proud ofCor Shan has much to be proud of

I mean, yes, its a fan film, but there are a lot of little details they mess up. Like Matt having a short bow. Or Tam's Heron mark sword being super short.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:44 PM
Elder

Khoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant future

There were a number of things I couldn't really take seriously about this. Yes, I know it's a fan film, but it would have been nice if they had tried to make sure the Myrdraal's cloak didn't, you know, blow in the wind. -_-

Death-by-Hammer clearly is foreshadowing Perrin's decision to choose the hammer over the axe.

Mat and the hat, Rand and Mat being the same height, American accents for the main characters and British accents for all the townsfolk they meet.

I couldn't even make it through the entirety of it. I applaud their attempt, but I would have liked much more. At least in terms of accuracy.

Life is a dream from which we all must wake before we can dream again.

Al dival, al kiserai, al mashi! - For light, glory, and love!

Carai an manshimaya ayend'an! - Honor of my blade for the fallen.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:07 PM
Youngling

suttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant future

Kind of meh about the end result, it is an impressive effort for an amateur production however.

But let's be real here. With all of mistakes that made it into these last three books we should cut a production like this a bit of slack in terms of "accuracy".
"Waves are the ultimate illusion. They come out of nowhere, instantaneously materialize, and just as quickly they break and vanish. Chasing after such fleeting mirages is a complete wast of time. That is what I choose to do with my life." - Miki Dora

Last edited by suttree; 09-22-2013 at 11:11 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:44 PM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

Quote:
Originally Posted by suttree View Post
Kind of meh about the end result, it is an impressive effort for an amateur production however.

But let's be real here. With all of mistakes that made it into these last three books we should cut a production like this a bit of slack in terms of "accuracy".
What an incredibly witty insight! Wow, I sure did chuckle for several minutes at that one. You really are on form Suttree! Now, where's the rep button, because boy, do you deserve some for that zinger! Booyah!

...seriously, mods, don't we already have a rule about bashing outside of designated threads?

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known
Old 09-23-2013, 02:19 AM
Elder

Ieyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to behold

watched it...almost turned it off after the black ajah chick got pwned in the beginning... still dont know what the fuck that was about...

I cringed a lot... and laughed at the dude with the carnival hammer...

over all, didnt like it.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:34 AM
Hero of the Horn

WinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to WinespringBrother

Quote:
Originally Posted by suttree View Post

Sounds like I should watch this, could be entertaining just to see the effort put into it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Sammael View Post
What an incredibly witty insight! Wow, I sure did chuckle for several minutes at that one. You really are on form Suttree! Now, where's the rep button, because boy, do you deserve some for that zinger! Booyah!

...seriously, mods, don't we already have a rule about bashing outside of designated threads?
Thread lock in 3, 2, ... meh, not worth it. Now play nice!

"Oh, y'all [Theorylanders] are awesome with awesome sauce, but you ask a lot of tricky questions. I had to watch myself with you guys." - Maria

"I need to RAFO more things, I'm not being very Robert Jordan..." - Brandon
Old 09-23-2013, 12:08 PM
Youngling

suttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Sammael View Post

Zinger? I'm sorry but how is what I said bashing? It is simple statement of fact.

Truthfully I find this obsession with ranting at anyone you perceive as making the slightest negative comment about the last three books extremely odd. It really was just an off handed comment but since you felt the need to respond we can go a bit deeper. I'm not trying to be incendiary here but along with the above this is one of the things that annoy me most about your posts. You don't see the disconnect in having an opinion like yours calling out those mistakes by an independent production company while waiving away the ones in the last three books by the author who was hired to finish the series?
"Waves are the ultimate illusion. They come out of nowhere, instantaneously materialize, and just as quickly they break and vanish. Chasing after such fleeting mirages is a complete wast of time. That is what I choose to do with my life." - Miki Dora

Last edited by suttree; 09-23-2013 at 01:23 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:48 PM
Youngling

Tollingtoy is a glorious beacon of lightTollingtoy is a glorious beacon of lightTollingtoy is a glorious beacon of lightTollingtoy is a glorious beacon of lightTollingtoy is a glorious beacon of lightTollingtoy is a glorious beacon of light

We get you don't like the last three books dude, seriously....

The beginning of that video is cringe-worthy, the rest is ok I guess, but I don't really see the point of it I suppose. Is it part of a series?
Old 09-23-2013, 05:54 PM
Youngling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tollingtoy View Post
We get you don't like the last three books dude, seriously....

The beginning of that video is cringe-worthy, the rest is ok I guess, but I don't really see the point of it I suppose. Is it part of a series?
So toy...what did you think about the movie? Did you have problems with the accuracy or is this something we are going to have to learn to live with in any adaption?

Last edited by suttree; 09-23-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:21 PM
Elder

Khoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant future

:facepalm:

You know, you guys are all starting to really piss me off. I haven't been posting much lately, but I at least enjoy reading thoughtful discussions on the boards. Yes, there is the occasional argument that takes place that I have come to expect, and I generally take my place on the ESC Couch to watch and enjoy the banter, but this is just ridiculous.

Suttree, your lack of respect for other posters is disappointing. I have come to respect each poster's ideas over the years I have been here, whether I think they are wrong or not, because I value their dedication to this series which we all share a love of. Many of them take their reading of the series far more seriously than I do, and do their utmost to present to the fan base their ideas and theories. That's what we at TL do. I may not participate as much in the GenWoT threads, but I have piped up a few times. Even if I don't necessarily have anything inciteful to add. I love the discussion that takes place at TL that focuses on one of my all-time favourite series.

Zombie. Zombie, Zombie, Zombie. I may not have been around when you were known as Gnat, but it certainly feels like you're falling back into your former role. I very much appreciate the new views you have given me concerning the series. You have helped me appreciate the Wheel of Time much more since you joined back up as ZS. This resorting to constant back lashes against suttree is rather denigrating.

Besides, there's the Moving On thread that you guys can both continue this argument on. I'm not stopping you. I'm just venting my frustration, and asking that you do not continue this on this thread. We are discussing the hard work of numerous fans who have put together this film for the fan base. Whether I like it or not is irrelevant. We're here to have thoughtful discussions and yes, arguments, about what could have been done better, what we wish they could have included, or what they should have known was wrong and should have done their damnedest not to include. They got some things right; they got some things wrong. I appreciate their attempts, nonetheless.

Now, can we please get back to the thoughtful and intelligent conversations I have come to love about Theoryland, and leave this ridiculous bickering behind?

*sits on the ESC Couch*

Old 09-24-2013, 03:29 AM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

Well, certainly not the worst fan made creation I've ever seen, but certain things did stick out to me, not in a good way.

The beginning for one. Not really sure who the Black Ajah member is supposed to be. Rand and Mat are nearly the same height. The bow on Mat. The short sword on Rand (I guess I thought it would be more Katana like, but whatever). The giant carnival hammer on the random guy that can channel (where did that come from?). And that's just in the first few minutes.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:47 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand al'Fain View Post
Rand and Mat are nearly the same height. The bow on Mat.
Those two can be solved simultaneously if they simply manage to get a shorter guy to play Mat. Then the bow would be (relatively speaking) the right size. But I don't think you can fault a bunch of amateurs for having to make do with whatever amateur actors they happen to have laying around.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:20 AM
Elder

There's always stilts, Gonzo. Those, or a line of boxes while they're walking. It's what is done when Tom Cruise has to be taller than he actually is. Although the running would be more difficult, I'm sure.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:47 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Putting Rand on stilts wouldn't fix the bow problem. Getting Tom Cruise to play Mat would, though.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:07 AM
Elder

Then that would pose an entirely different problem - where would they find all the really short women?

Old 09-24-2013, 09:00 AM
Ancient

Hugh the Hand is a glorious beacon of lightHugh the Hand is a glorious beacon of lightHugh the Hand is a glorious beacon of lightHugh the Hand is a glorious beacon of lightHugh the Hand is a glorious beacon of lightHugh the Hand is a glorious beacon of lightHugh the Hand is a glorious beacon of light
Default Well...

The production value was amazing for a "fan" production. They put in a ton of effort on that front.

However, I am not sure what story they were telling. Other than the names and places, nothing was right.

I actually do not have a huge problem with the intro, it is filler to help tell a casual watcher some of the evilness in the world and to skip the first whatever chapters of the book.

The channeling seemed like something out of The Last Airbender, film not cartoon.

But in the end, would anything satisfy us? I mean a super team of Francis Ford Coppola, Speilberg, Kubrick, etc, all working on the same page, with the best screenwriters and a Reborn RJ, would prob not do a job we would all like.

Hell, if they took the GoT team, added the above and RJ, we might get something we could watch.

But going back to my original point, why would "fans" put such great effort into this, but completely get the story wrong?
Old 09-24-2013, 10:59 AM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Those two can be solved simultaneously if they simply manage to get a shorter guy to play Mat. Then the bow would be (relatively speaking) the right size. But I don't think you can fault a bunch of amateurs for having to make do with whatever amateur actors they happen to have laying around.
I always imagined the Two Rivers longbow being like the English/Welsh longbow. About the same height as an adult man (considering when its unstringed, its mistaken for a quarter-staff).