art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7652

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > General Wheel of Time Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 06-23-2015, 08:55 AM
Youngling

SwannMadeleine is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekyras View Post
Gotta love finding a spot for Oscar Isaac.

I really do think you should avoid the massive crossover with GoT actors and actresses.

I see you are trying to hide it a little by marking their Known for with other things but "Indira Varma- known for Exodus" is really a stretch!!
I don't choose what their Known is, it's automatic. And I've said that this will mostly have GoT actors above. It's just I watch the show and I see these actors as the characters in Wheel of Time.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:24 AM
Ancient

Hugh the Hand is a glorious beacon of lightHugh the Hand is a glorious beacon of lightHugh the Hand is a glorious beacon of lightHugh the Hand is a glorious beacon of lightHugh the Hand is a glorious beacon of lightHugh the Hand is a glorious beacon of lightHugh the Hand is a glorious beacon of light

Well, it seems you have put some thought into this...now is when we take it apart.

As for Perrin, you need a much bigger actor, that is young, as Breaking Dawn 2 was on last night, how about the Big Cullen? (no idea what his character name is or actor).

There appears to be very few Asian actors, you will have trouble with special interest groups in the US if this happens. That being said, not sure what characters should be or could be Asian.

I do not see Min as African American in my minds eye, but that actress is cute and could pull it off I think.

I do agree you will suffer from GoT fatigue if you have too many actors from that show. You should go back a few threads and read what Rand did.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:12 AM
Youngling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh the Hand View Post
Well, it seems you have put some thought into this...now is when we take it apart.

As for Perrin, you need a much bigger actor, that is young, as Breaking Dawn 2 was on last night, how about the Big Cullen? (no idea what his character name is or actor).

There appears to be very few Asian actors, you will have trouble with special interest groups in the US if this happens. That being said, not sure what characters should be or could be Asian.

I do not see Min as African American in my minds eye, but that actress is cute and could pull it off I think.

I do agree you will suffer from GoT fatigue if you have too many actors from that show. You should go back a few threads and read what Rand did.
I've done a couple of ethnicity changes purely based on the actor and if I think they suit the role. For example, Liandrin is played by Rila Fukushima because I could imagine her playing that kind of character.

I'm having trouble casting some of the other Ajah characters because they bare importance but you don't want too many well known names as characters that might not have too much importance in the long run. Any suggestions?
Old 06-25-2015, 11:47 AM
Youngling

Quick question: What particular scene or event in the first 10 chapters of Eye of the World? So from Tam and Rand's journey to Emond's Field to the group; Egwene, Thom and so on leaving EF. Are there any characters that you wish got more of an introduction or do you feel that everyone's introductions were completely fine?
Old 06-25-2015, 04:54 PM
Elder

Daekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwannMadeleine View Post
Quick question: What particular scene or event in the first 10 chapters of Eye of the World? So from Tam and Rand's journey to Emond's Field to the group; Egwene, Thom and so on leaving EF. Are there any characters that you wish got more of an introduction or do you feel that everyone's introductions were completely fine?
I take it you mean, what part or scene we would change?

I think most of the introductions were fine.

I do have a small nit-pick. I think Tam should take out two or three trollocs before taking his wound. He is a blade master and as we find out in the final book- the greatest swordsman in the world thinks he is worthy of the title.

Then, as an accompanied change, have Lan disbelieving that Tam would take out trollocs while surprised and in close quarters.

I know that is a very minor change but I was always a little annoyed by that scene and this may fix the problem...

He just got carried away a bit this time, probably as a result of his marriage-gonzothegreat

Son of Nazbaque, Lord of Fire
Old 06-25-2015, 08:39 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I do have a small nit-pick. I think Tam should take out two or three trollocs before taking his wound. He is a blade master and as we find out in the final book- the greatest swordsman in the world thinks he is worthy of the title.
Well, to be fair, I believe he does kill a couple and he also hadn't picked up a sword in at least 18 years since the Aiel War ended. Its a skill set that goes away if you don't use it ever.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 06-26-2015, 05:00 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Demandred was impressed by Tam? I didn't think they had even met.

And maybe Tam's wound did not come from a blade at all. Perhaps it was from a splinter of the door that burst into pieces when the Trollocs came. It could have been a Myrddraal made door, after all.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:12 AM
Youngling

Tomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant future

The Power shouldn't be visible until the main characters can see them.

The main characters in question being Rand and the three channeling girls.

Which would mean that you wouldn't see the Power weaves (or the glow around people) until the middle of The great hunt.

And, then it would only be shown when a channeler is the POV character.
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. (Marx)
Old 06-26-2015, 06:27 AM
Elder

Daekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Demandred was impressed by Tam? I didn't think they had even met.
l.
Two men enter a battle- there is no cheating, a relatively fair contest- and you pick the one who dies as the better swordsman? Interesting.

There is more to being a swordsman than just following the forms. Sometimes one must realise when it is time to sheath the sword. Death is lighter than a feather..

He just got carried away a bit this time, probably as a result of his marriage-gonzothegreat

Old 06-26-2015, 08:29 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

It is not always the better swordsman who is the victor. Lan won, not because he was better with the sword, but because he happened to be lucky. Without Mandarb's channeling to save him, that fight would have been a draw.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:04 AM
Youngling

Well in some notes for the first episode I have, I've wrote down that in the attack on Emond's Field (which we see):

"Rand will see Moiraine take out Trollocs with some kind of power."

I'm thinking maybe the magic could only be visible to the user? or something along those lines, so the magic becomes a much more "mysterious" thing so when Rand finally uses it it's even more of a shock, which I think is when he is attacked by Howal Gode. I could be wrong.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:15 PM
Youngling

Heinz will become famous soon enoughHeinz will become famous soon enough

Tomp took my main thought.

Quote:
And, then it would only be shown when a channeler is the POV character.
The exception I would consider to that is a hint of the channeling when Rand makes that bolt at (Four Kings, iirc?). And earlier as he worries about Bela and Egwene. But only the slightest hint. I realize he isn't supposed to see the threads at this point, though it may help some audience members realize what is going on. Hence only vague hints at it. Perhaps have a scene from Moiraine's POV just before or just after Shadar Logoth to include some channeling to reinforce to the audience what they are seeing. Maybe others would disagree with that though, as tEotW was largely from Rand's POV, and a bit of his friends', giving it a tighter focus for that first book. And from Rand's POV, his end fight at The Eye is the big moment for him channeling.

I can't think of what the channeling would look like though. Agreed that literal threads wouldn't be right. Some form of streak of light is what I always imagined. Like a shooting star, but lots of streaks, and of different colors. A more artistic visual effects mind would come up with something I'm sure.
Old 07-03-2015, 08:30 AM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinz View Post

I can't think of what the channeling would look like though. Agreed that literal threads wouldn't be right. Some form of streak of light is what I always imagined. Like a shooting star, but lots of streaks, and of different colors. A more artistic visual effects mind would come up with something I'm sure.
I'd stay away from the multiple streaks of colour. Sounds campy and reminiscent of "my little pony".

I don't think the "threads" need to be shown. Just have Rand look intently and say "I. ..I. .can see what he is doing.." and then repeat it.

Come to think of it- had magic ever been shown well on screen??

Old 07-06-2015, 03:35 PM
Youngling

Heinz will become famous soon enoughHeinz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I'd stay away from the multiple streaks of colour. Sounds campy and reminiscent of "my little pony".

Come to think of it- had magic ever been shown well on screen??
It always comes back to Bela.

But you're probably right. Something more akin to LotR where the effects are shown, and nothing else. Seeing the weaves and learning them is a major part of the Channelers' stories, it would be nice to be able to see them. But as I think on it, I wouldn't want it to look like a WoW spell or Final Fantasy cut-scene.

Assuming, of course, this ever goes to a visual form of story. I will still be more surprised if it does ever happen at this stage.
Old 07-19-2015, 06:16 PM
Elder

How are the scripts coming along made lineswann?

Old 07-24-2015, 07:21 PM
Youngling

Quote:
How are the scripts coming along made lineswann?
Coming together nicely thanks