art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > A Memory of Light
User Name
Password

Old 09-25-2012, 05:11 AM
Elder

maacaroni has a brilliant futuremaacaroni has a brilliant futuremaacaroni has a brilliant futuremaacaroni has a brilliant futuremaacaroni has a brilliant futuremaacaroni has a brilliant futuremaacaroni has a brilliant futuremaacaroni has a brilliant futuremaacaroni has a brilliant futuremaacaroni has a brilliant futuremaacaroni has a brilliant future

I think the unsatisfactory allusions is to do with Rand dying. He's gonna die in the end, people.

That said, perhaps I'm a cynical git but I found that peon a little bleeeuurrrgghh. Sorry, old bean, but you loved the author but you didn't know the bloke. I met Nelson Mandela once but I can't says I know the guy.

That said, I'm looking forward to the book's release. I doubt it will ever live up to the hype of the HCFF and many of us will witter on about Mat's speech 'jarring'. Heyho.

Roll on January.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:16 AM
Elder

Figbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant future

Well the chance of me not reading the book as soon as it has been realised has just dropped.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:49 AM
Elder

Res_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant future

Reviews that come out, even "Dear RJ" ones do not need to be coming out almost 3 1/2 months before the book drops. Kind of a big middle finger to fans who have to wait. With that being said, if I had the opportunity to read the book several months before everyone else, I would.

" 'Looks like the game can be won after all,' [Mat] said. 'Tell the foxes I'm mighty pleased with this key they gave me. Also, you can all go rot in a flaming pit of fire and ashes, you unwashed lumps on a pig's backside. Have a grand bloody day.' "

"Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day."
Old 09-25-2012, 09:30 AM
Elder

Khoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Res_Ipsa View Post
Reviews that come out, even "Dear RJ" ones do not need to be coming out almost 3 1/2 months before the book drops. Kind of a big middle finger to fans who have to wait. With that being said, if I had the opportunity to read the book several months before everyone else, I would.
You just wouldn't publish a review 3 1/2 months early.

Life is a dream from which we all must wake before we can dream again.

Al dival, al kiserai, al mashi! - For light, glory, and love!

Carai an manshimaya ayend'an! - Honor of my blade for the fallen.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:12 PM
Youngling

The Angry Druid is just really niceThe Angry Druid is just really niceThe Angry Druid is just really niceThe Angry Druid is just really niceThe Angry Druid is just really niceThe Angry Druid is just really nice

Jason has done amazing things for all of us in the WoT community, and I may have toh for saying this, but I don't put a lot of stock in his reviews.

He thought ToM was fantastic.

http://www.dragonmount.com/index.php...f-midnight-r36

He was one of BS beta readers for ToM, as he says in his review.

To his credit, he says he didn't like ToM as well as tGS. Nor did he call it the finest in the series. He said tGS was one of the finest in the series.

I bit of over-ranking of tGS for me, and I'd put ToM in the bottom 3rd (CoT, tPoD, ToM, aCoS, WH) of the WoT books.

Anyway, my overall point is that Jason is a fan boy, to a greater degree than almost all of us on these boards, and I don't think his evaluations are very clear minded because of it.

I hope he is on the money with this one. Like I said, I probably have toh for saying it, but that's where I stand.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:16 PM
Youngling

suttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Angry Druid View Post
Jason has done amazing things for all of us in the WoT community, and I may have toh for saying this, but I don't put a lot of stock in his reviews.

To his credit, he says he didn't like ToM as well as tGS. Nor did he call it the finest in the series. He said tGS was one of the finest in the series.

I bit of over-ranking of tGS for me, and I'd put ToM in the bottom 3rd (CoT, tPoD, ToM, aCoS, WH) of the WoT books.

Anyway, my overall point is that Jason is a fan boy, to a greater degree than almost all of us on these boards, and I don't think his evaluations are very clear minded because of it.

I hope he is on the money with this one. Like I said, I probably have toh for saying it, but that's where I stand.
All that considered some of the wording made me slightly nervous.

Quote:
Sure, I can pick apart small nuances of this final book that weren’t perfect. Some little parts may not have rung as true as they could have.
Considering the source that could indicate some fair sized issues. The only book I would put ToM ahead of was CoT. Not sure I would put TGS all that much higher. The qaulity of the writing is just far too uneven, you will be clipping along doing fine only to get jarred out of the narrative on a consistent basis.
"Waves are the ultimate illusion. They come out of nowhere, instantaneously materialize, and just as quickly they break and vanish. Chasing after such fleeting mirages is a complete wast of time. That is what I choose to do with my life." - Miki Dora

Last edited by suttree; 09-25-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:43 PM
Youngling

JOS is a glorious beacon of lightJOS is a glorious beacon of lightJOS is a glorious beacon of lightJOS is a glorious beacon of lightJOS is a glorious beacon of lightJOS is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by suttree View Post
Maybe Jason is satisfied with the ending because he is a closet nihilist. Let us hope he didn't find joy in the pattern unraveling and all life screaming out of existence as all becomes darkness and oblivion. All this while Moridin exhales the final relieved sigh of all creation, the final gift to him from the Dark One.
One thing was sure. He was not what anyone thought. Those who believed they knew him were badly mistaken. He was transfigured, now. A force unto himself, and beyond any other power. They would all learn, eventually.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:46 PM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by suttree View Post

Considering the source that could indicate some fair sized issues. The only book I would put ToM ahead of was CoT. Not sure I would put TGS all that much higher. The qaulity of the writing is just far too uneven, you will be clipping along doing fine only to get jarred out of the narrative on a consistent basis.
You're both entitled to your opinions, but I can't help but feeling that in this respect your opinions are drastically misguided.

Comparing the books that were completed by Brandon to the books written by RJ is grossly unfair, especially when comparing such nebulous qualities as consistency, style, or characterisation. Brandon Sanderson's style is always going to be different to Robert Jordan's, and he will always have to write certain characters in his own way. He says himself in his foreword to TGS that the worst thing he could possibly have done would have been to try to ape RJ's style. That would have led to WOT books that read more like a parody of the series than a continuation of it, and would have been truly horrible. With that in mind, what complaints about such matters amount to is an expression of distress that Brandon Sanderson is not Robert Jordan. He is not. We are all saddened that he isn't. But thanks to him, we are getting the end of the Wheel Of Time series; without him, we wouldn't have it, or we would have a much worse ending. For this reason, his books can't be compared to previous books in the series, nor to Brandon's own work; unfortunately, they need to be judged on their own, with their own merits and failings. Many of those failings arise simply because of the posthumous collaboration, and must therefore be excused.

At the end of the day, the question is whether you want the end of the series or not, not whether that ending, created in the way that is, compares to the earlier part. If you do want the ending, you must accept the authors of it, and accept that that ending is what it is, and does not deserve comparison to the rest of the series.

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known
Old 09-25-2012, 07:00 PM
Hero of the Horn

SauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to SauceyBlueConfetti

I found it a self serving posting and am sorry I read it.
Yeah. Murderous Saucey. My superhero name
I am Detroit. You REALLY wanna call me wimpy?
Haphazardly Spell & Fact Checked Since June 2001
Old 09-25-2012, 07:01 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SauceyBlueConfetti View Post
Yup...me too.

Also, as to the fan-boy comments above...I think he comes off as a kiss-a$$ sometimes. Nothing personal to him as I'm sure he's a nice guy.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 09-25-2012, 07:22 PM
Youngling

Tsofu is a name known to allTsofu is a name known to allTsofu is a name known to allTsofu is a name known to allTsofu is a name known to allTsofu is a name known to allTsofu is a name known to allTsofu is a name known to all

Aw crap! And here I was, thinking/hoping that Jason was at least a dispassionate clear eyed beta reader. ~le sigh~

Well, I guess we now return to our regularly scheduled bickering and back stabbing, eh?

Tsofu

Tia mi aven Moridin isainde vadin
Old 09-25-2012, 07:38 PM
Hero of the Horn

Sinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Sinistrum

Here Here Zombie. You really can't compare RJ with Sanderson with any level of success. They are two different animals. That said, I found myself enjoying both tGS and ToM more than I have any WOT book since LoC. Of course enjoyment is an entirely subjective standard, thus taking me back to the original point of impossibility of comparison.

Quote:
Meh, while I didn't particularly find it useful, I'm not going to say it was a waste of time. But then I've always been particularly immune to most other people's opinions on most matters. Didn't lessen my enthusiasm and isn't going to stop me from formulating my own opinion once I read it.

People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. - River Tam
Old 09-25-2012, 07:42 PM
Elder

Khoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinistrum View Post
Meh, while I didn't particularly find it useful, I'm not going to say it was a waste of time. But then I've always been particularly immune to most other people's opinions on most matters. Didn't lessen my enthusiasm and isn't going to stop me from formulating my own opinion once I read it.
This. I said in my original post that I got chills while reading the review. That's because it really made me realize that we're that close to completing this journey.

Life is a dream from which we all must wake before we can dream again.

Al dival, al kiserai, al mashi! - For light, glory, and love!

Carai an manshimaya ayend'an! - Honor of my blade for the fallen.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:13 PM
Hero of the Horn

1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via ICQ to 1Powerslave Send a message via MSN to 1Powerslave Send a message via Yahoo to 1Powerslave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Sammael View Post
Comparing the books that were completed by Brandon to the books written by RJ is grossly unfair, especially when comparing such nebulous qualities as consistency, style, or characterisation. Brandon Sanderson's style is always going to be different to Robert Jordan's, and he will always have to write certain characters in his own way. He says himself in his foreword to TGS that the worst thing he could possibly have done would have been to try to ape RJ's style. That would have led to WOT books that read more like a parody of the series than a continuation of it, and would have been truly horrible.
Well I disagree. And I've said it before, writing the last books and having them sound like RJ would not have been impossible. Perhaps impossible in the timeframe that Brandon Sanderson has done it. I actually think that it would have been a true masterpiece if he had done his very best to "ape RJ's style" and gotten away with it say 99 % of the time he did it. And I would have preferred that he did it that way. But again perhaps not possible in the timeframe. I am thankful that he is writing so fast. I also think that Harriet is thankful for that cause I doubt she'd have wanted this to drag on for another ten years after RJ's passing.

And Jason is a fanboy yes. Nothing new. I agree that those "little parts" that doesn't ring as true as they could have, has me somewhat worried.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:38 PM
Elder

arioch is just really nicearioch is just really nicearioch is just really nicearioch is just really nicearioch is just really nice

That would be completely dishonest and I'm glad Brandon did not go that way.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:07 PM
Youngling

Tedman is a name known to allTedman is a name known to allTedman is a name known to allTedman is a name known to allTedman is a name known to allTedman is a name known to allTedman is a name known to allTedman is a name known to allTedman is a name known to all

I quibble a lot over the Talmanes stuff, but I wanted to quote the email Brandon sent back to me in 2008, my emphasis bolded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonSanderson
Ted,

Thanks for your email! I've been getting a lot of good wishes from Wheel of Time fans, and frankly I'm humbled at how positive and supportive everyone is being. We lost a great man, and I know I can't replace him. But I CAN make sure we all get to read that last book as he intended.

I would have liked to have been at that signing, if only to get the chance you did to speak with Mr. Jordan. In answer to your question, I haven't felt any pressure at all to do this book in any way at all, really. Harriet has allowed me to take the lead, and Tor generally doesn't pressure its authors on these matters. They just told me to write it as best I could, then turn it in and they would decide how to package it.

I think you're right, I think it will end up being a two volume set. It's going to be a BIG book, but I'm not trimming anything, and I think it will be the length that Mr. Jordan was planning it to be. I don't think he would have edited it; but he might have allowed Tor to split it for a two book set.
Despite Jason's obvious playing it close to the vest, he runs DM for heaven's sake people, I feel pretty good about the above email and how this is all going to turn out after reading what Jason wrote.

If there wasn't something to pick nits about, it wouldn't be WoT at all.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:37 AM
Youngling

MissMeggles is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurotopia View Post
And the tool in question is particularly ironic.
Delicious irony, I am among the few who loved the ending to DT the first time around.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:06 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Originally Posted by SauceyBlueConfetti View Post
That was pretty much exactly my thoughts on it. Except I'm only sorry I skimmed it.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:18 AM
Youngling

The Angry Druid is just really niceThe Angry Druid is just really niceThe Angry Druid is just really niceThe Angry Druid is just really niceThe Angry Druid is just really niceThe Angry Druid is just really nice

Quote:

I was on DM reading one of the prologue threads (and a lengthy one) more closely, and I found out that Jason originally wrote a much more critical review of ToM, but that that review was pulled and scrubbed down and replaced with a less harsh review that I linked to in my post.

I'd like to apologize to Jason for calling him a fan-boy and give credit to his original review. He did have it spot on the first time. I have toh.

What worries me now isn't that Jason can't give a good, unbiased review of the book, but that what I'm reading may not be Jason's unbiased review of the book. Or at least not what he really thinks.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:31 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Would you mind providing a link to that post? Because I'm doubting it's true.