art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (1): uausnaughbroo,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > A Memory of Light
User Name
Password

Old 01-10-2013, 07:24 PM
Youngling

KyleLitke is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Am I the only one that really likes TGH? I thought it was a great book actually...especially during rereads.
I really liked it as well. I tentatively have it as #6 on my list, but most of the first 6 books are interchangeable for me at the top.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:18 PM
Youngling

Tollingtoy is a glorious beacon of lightTollingtoy is a glorious beacon of lightTollingtoy is a glorious beacon of lightTollingtoy is a glorious beacon of lightTollingtoy is a glorious beacon of lightTollingtoy is a glorious beacon of light

1. TSR
-This is where I first realized the epic scope the series was taking
2. LOC
3. TEOTW
4. TGH
-when I do rereads this is still the quickest....so fast paced and energized
5. TDR
6. AMOL
-It's not perfect, but nothing you wait this long for could be, a very fitting end, I say
7. KOD
8. TGS
9. TFOH
-the first one that really dragged for me my first time through this took FOREVER to finish...that Valan Luca sequence is just awful
10. ACOS
11. WH
12. APOD
13. TOM
-this suffers a lot from the split with TGS, which I'm convinced was Harriet and TOR's decision more than Brandon's. They wanted the best parts in TGS to keep people's confidence in the series
14. COT
-The first book (besides New Spring) that I had to wait long for--I waited for WH in paperback--and I was VERY disappointed with how little the plot moved, although I can appreciate it more now
Old 01-10-2013, 10:37 PM
Elder

AbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant future

1. TDR
2. TGH
3. LoC
4. TSR
5. EotW
6. TFoH

I rate these 6 very close together, and they may oscillate in order, but always remain in my top 6. They are the most focused and concise of the books, have great thematic elements, and hints of the scope of vision required for the series, without what I consider too many tedious digressions. After book #6, I felt RJ began too many side-stories and POV's without enough focus on making each book have its own arc. The first 6 will always be my favorites in structure.

7. CoS
8. WH
9. KoD
10. PoD
11. TGS
12. AMoL
13. ToM
14. CoT

I preferred RJ's writing to Brandon's on the whole, with the exception of CoT. I did enjoy the end of AMoL, but it was too uneven and unpolished as a whole to warrant a comparison with most of RJ's earlier books. It was enjoyable, but I cringed entirely too many times for me to justify putting it higher.

"He can compress the most words into the smallest idea of any man I ever met."
Abraham Lincoln

Draw a crazy picture, write a nutty poem. Sing a mumble-gumble song, whistle through your comb. Do a loony-goony dance 'cross the kitchen floor. Put something silly in the world that ain't been there before.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:22 PM
Elder

kivo is a name known to allkivo is a name known to allkivo is a name known to allkivo is a name known to allkivo is a name known to allkivo is a name known to allkivo is a name known to allkivo is a name known to allkivo is a name known to all

I like the Sanderson books a lot more than most people. I think of the quality in tiers rather than in a strict ranking system

Books I treasure:
  • The Eye of the World
  • The Great Hunt
  • The Dragon Reborn
  • The Shadow Rising
  • The Gathering Storm

Books I think are awesome:
  • The Fires Of Heaven
  • Lord of Chaos
  • A Crown of Swords
  • Winter's Heart
  • Knife of Dreams
  • Towers of Midnight

Books I thought were pretty good or entertaining enough:
  • Path of Daggers
  • New Spring

Books I don't even bother with on a re-read anymore because twice was enough:
  • Crossroads of Twilight

Books it is too soon to rank:
  • A Memory of Light

"Who are you to ask for a meeting with the High Lady?" Falendre demanded. She emphasized the title for some reason.

"My name is Rand al'Thor. I'm the Dragon Reborn." If they had wept at hearing Semirhage's name, they wailed at hearing his.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:55 AM
Youngling

ultraness is an unknown quantity at this point

1. The Great Hunt: It's honestly my favorite in the series. I disagree it severely with your lack of love for it.
2. The Shadow Rising: This book has the best balance between the focused, self-contained narratives of the first three books, and the world-building depth of the later. My only problem is that I find Nynaeve and Elayne's plot to be incredibly dull until the very end (Nynaeve versus Moghedien is fantastic).

The rest I'm less sure about, and I could change my mind about them quickly upon rereading.

3. The Eye of the World
The Dragon Reborn: These two books are great as individual stories, which cannot be said for most novels in this series, and they have many classic moments. Also, I prefer the relatively few points of view that Jordan uses early on, as I really don't care much about Windfinder A or B, or Kinswoman A all that much.
4. Fires of Heaven: Great book, for the most part, and Mat, in particular, is great. This book does represent the moment when Jordan starts to drag out plots far too much, however, to the point in which my overall opinion of the book is affected heavily. Here, Nynaeve and Elayne's journey to the rebel faction of the Aes Sedai is particularly bad, if you ask me.
5. The Gathering Storm: I loved this book and think it's better than most of the books written by Jordan alone. It actually has a complete story arc. Rand and Egwene are both fantastic, and I actually worried about how things would turn out for the first time in forever.
6. Lord of Chaos: Has some great moments, has some dull moments, but the former still outnumbers the latter. Personally, I don't have the same amount of love for Dumai's Wells that others seem to possess (I prefer the endings in the first five endings more), but it is a landmark moment.
7. Crown of Swords
Towers of Midnight
Memory of Light: These three all have great moments but serious flaws. In CoS, Jordan has a number of great scenes...but also way too much fluff. The last two books, on the other hand, are more consistently good than any book written by Jordan after the Shadow Rising, but the best moments of those two books don't match what Jordan was capable of, in my opinion.
8. Winter's Heart
Knife of Dreams: Winter's Heart has a great ending and one of the most amazing scenes in the series, and I seriously enjoy Mat's subplot, but I dislike most of the rest of the book (aside from the too rare Rand chapter). Knife of Dreams is quite good (and, again, I especially loved Mat's subplot), but I wasn't really enthralled by it, overall.
9. Crossroads of Twilight: Yeah, this book isn't very good. I only like the Mat chapters. Yet there's one book in the series I actually like less than this one.
10. Path of Daggers: I hate this book and like absolutely no part in it.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:44 PM
Youngling

suttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraness View Post
10. Path of Daggers: I hate this book and like absolutely no part in it.
?

How could you not like the Damona campaign and the Rand/LTT interactions? Or how about "A Cup of Sleep"? Those instances are flat out some of the best writing in the entire series.
"Waves are the ultimate illusion. They come out of nowhere, instantaneously materialize, and just as quickly they break and vanish. Chasing after such fleeting mirages is a complete wast of time. That is what I choose to do with my life." - Miki Dora

Last edited by suttree; 01-11-2013 at 02:11 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:53 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Rand losing his shit with Callandor was awesome too. Deadsy says she doesn't like it because it was so dark. She also said she didn't like HP5 for that reason.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:57 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
Rand losing his shit with Callandor was awesome too. Deadsy says she doesn't like it because it was so dark. She also said she didn't like HP5 for that reason.
POD is underrated for the reasons mentioned...very solid book.

Even has good cover art...

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 01-11-2013, 01:08 PM
Elder

jana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
I'm not dumb enough to say I hated all of it though. I loved the Egwene stuff and Morgase ending up with Perrin. And Elayne/Nynaeve/Aviendha escaping from Ebou Dar. And IIRC there was an Alviarin chapter in there I like. Or an Elaida one with Alviarin.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:14 PM
Elder

Ieyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to behold

What is hp5?

...sounds like some kind of sun tan lotion or oil...
Old 01-11-2013, 01:18 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ieyasu View Post
What is hp5?

...sounds like some kind of sun tan lotion or oil...
I'm assuming she means Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix...

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 01-11-2013, 01:23 PM
Elder

jana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond repute

Ya. Damn that professor Umbridge.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:41 PM
Elder

Ieyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to behold

eh I am not a fan of children books too often. Read the first few books and just couldnt keep with it...

Though I am reading Ender's Game to my 8 year old. He loves it! Not so sure I would consider Ender's Game a childrens book in the same way I do Harry Potter books...

EDIT: and I just got my nephews The Hungry Hungry Caterpillar and Goodnight Moon... they are 2 and 3, but gotta instill that love of reading early imo!

Last edited by Ieyasu; 01-11-2013 at 01:51 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:54 PM
Youngling

Tollingtoy is a glorious beacon of lightTollingtoy is a glorious beacon of lightTollingtoy is a glorious beacon of lightTollingtoy is a glorious beacon of lightTollingtoy is a glorious beacon of lightTollingtoy is a glorious beacon of light
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
POD is underrated for the reasons mentioned...very solid book.

Even has good cover art...

Without question, this is the best Sweet cover. It doesn't even look like he drew it!
Old 01-11-2013, 05:11 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

It does look like he drew it, but it's still good. The humans are small, though, and I think that helped.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:35 PM
Elder

Toss the dice is a glorious beacon of lightToss the dice is a glorious beacon of lightToss the dice is a glorious beacon of lightToss the dice is a glorious beacon of lightToss the dice is a glorious beacon of lightToss the dice is a glorious beacon of lightToss the dice is a glorious beacon of light

I find it funny how different these rankings are compared to other rankings threads right after TGS and ToM.

With those other rankings threads, both times TGS and ToM consistently ranked very high on many of the lists, especially TGS (first Sanderson book, right!). Meanwhile, both TGS and ToM were pretty much dead last (or very close along with PoD) on my lists even though everyone else seemed to disagree. I even brought it up, guessing that people were in denial and wanted to pretend that Sanderson's books were better than they actually were. That didn't go over well.

Oh, how time and familiarity changes things.

(Keep in mind, while I thought TGS and ToM were lacking in certain things, I am both glad they were written and thankful for the developmental pace as well.)
Old 01-12-2013, 03:35 PM
Youngling

The Angry Druid is just really niceThe Angry Druid is just really niceThe Angry Druid is just really niceThe Angry Druid is just really niceThe Angry Druid is just really niceThe Angry Druid is just really nice

One final time into the breach on this one. Though a aMoL re-read may be in order before it finds its true place.

I also prefer a tiered approach, but I'll also rank them numerically.

Awesome
1. The Shadow Rising. Unquestioned #1 for me.
2. The Great Hunt. Loved this book.
3. Eye of the World. I still treasure it.
4. Lord of Chaos.

Excellent/Very Good
5. The Fires of Heaven.
6. The Dragon Reborn
7. Knife of Dreams
8. The Gathering Storm

Good/Enjoyable
9. The Path of Daggers
10. New Spring
11. A Crown of Swords
12. Winter's Heart

Meh/Ugh
13. A Memory of Light
14. Towers of Midnight
15. Crossroads of Twilight
Old 01-12-2013, 11:37 PM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toss the dice View Post
Oh, how time and familiarity changes things.

(Keep in mind, while I thought TGS and ToM were lacking in certain things, I am both glad they were written and thankful for the developmental pace as well.)
One thing to keep in mind is the re-readability. I find it really difficult to re-read TGS and TOM (and now probably AMOL) so that moves them down the list. TSR I could probably read 50 more times before I die.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:40 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jana View Post
One thing to keep in mind is the re-readability. I find it really difficult to re-read TGS and TOM (and now probably AMOL) so that moves them down the list. TSR I could probably read 50 more times before I die.
For me, rereads turn into a slog after Path of Daggers.

I just dont care enough about the WT plot and all that secondary stuff to want to keep reliving it.

Also, WH, CoT, KoD are honestly very dark books and even most of TGS...tough to reread.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:51 PM
Elder

Toss the dice is a glorious beacon of lightToss the dice is a glorious beacon of lightToss the dice is a glorious beacon of lightToss the dice is a glorious beacon of lightToss the dice is a glorious beacon of lightToss the dice is a glorious beacon of lightToss the dice is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jana View Post
This has actually been a factor for me since TGS came out. I found that I simply didn't have any need nor want to re-read TGS, and that applied to the majority of ToM as well. One exception offhand being the Tower of Ghenjei stuff.

Meanwhile, I find no mental barriers whatsoever to re-reading any of the other books, even my least favorite RJ title of PoD. I hate to say it, but it's the writing.