art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (2): ShadowbaneX, renorkeit,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > A Memory of Light
User Name
Password

Old 11-26-2012, 12:08 PM
Elder

Res_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant future
Default Memories of Light (spoilers)

Quote:
Day #1 "It had been useful at Maradon. Nobody knew he had it. That was important."
Quote:
Day #2 "'I should like to hear one of your stories. Perhaps you could tell me of the time your father and you visited Shara'"?
Quote:
Day #3 "'Being married is not so bad, Perrin. Why didn't you tell me it was not so bad? I think I am rather fond of it.'"
Quote:
Day #4 "Pass his bond to me."
Quote:
Day #5 "'Creator shelter us,' she whispered. Mat scowled. 'You know, that's what Tuon said.'"
Quote:
Day #6 "The right thing had always seemed clear to Galad before, but never had it felt as right as this. Those streaks of light were like indicators on a map, arrows pointing his way. The Light itself guided him. It had prepared him, placed him here at this moment."
Quote:
Day #7 "'Nobody travels the Ways,' Ituralde said, aghast."
Quote:
Day #8 "Egwene strode around a frozen pillar of glass in her dream. It almost looked like a column of light. What did it mean? She could not interpret it."
Quote:
Day #9 "The letter was written in Mat's hand. And, Elayne noticed with amusement, the handwriting was much neater and the spelling much better in this one than the one he'd sent her weeks ago."
Quote:
Day #10 "'And farewell to you, old friend,' she said to the air. 'Until I dream again.'"
Quote:
Day #11 "'One more thing, the marath'damane . . .'
'I'll deal with those channelers personally,' Mat said. She gawked at him as if he were insane."
Quote:
Day #12 "Enough talk. You will bed me now."
Quote:
Day #13 "'We must spread the word to all of our allies,' Amys said. 'We must not use this weave.'"
Quote:
Day #14 "That, she replied back, is something one should never, never say to an Aes Sedai. Ever."
Quote:
Day #15 "'It is a simple thing, to stop a man’s heart,' Cadsuane said, arms folded."
Quote:
Day #16 "Do not cut off your foot for fear that a snake will bite it, Perrin Aybara. Do not make a terrible mistake because you fear something that seems worse. This is all I will say on the topic."
Quote:
Day #17 "It is one of the three things which I will require of you. Your payment, to me, in exchange for my life."
Quote:
Day #18 "Fortuona ignored her, standing. 'This woman is my new Soe'feia. Holy woman, she who may not be touched. We have been blessed. Let it be known.'"
Quote:
Day #19 "'What did you do to your eye?'"
"'A little accident with a corkscrew and thirteen angry innkeepers.'"
Quote:
Day #20 "As Tam attacked again, Rand lifted the sword and-"
Quote:
Day #21 "And you don't feel a small measure of pride? Egwene asked herself. Rand al'Thor, once simple village boy and your near-betrothed, now the most powerful man in the world? You don't feel proud of what he's done?"
Quote:
Day #22 "'Why are you helping me?' Perrin demanded.
"I'm fond of you, Perrin.'"
Quote:
Day #23 "'Light burn me,' Rand said. 'You're not him, are you?'"
Quote:
Day #24 "There were many good years. Good decades, good centuries. We believed we were living in paradise. Perhaps that was our downfall. We wanted our lives to be perfect, so we ignored imperfections. Problems were magnified through inattention, and war might have become inevitable if the Bore hadn't ever been made."
Quote:
Day #25 "'Oh, blood and ashes, no!' Cadsuane said, spinning on them. 'No, no, no.'"
Quote:
Day #26 "Uno's topknot danced as he continued to blaspheme."
Quote:
Day #27 "'Peaches!' Rand said, aghast. Everyone knew those were poisonous."
Quote:
Day #28 "'But this . . . this isn't about blacksmithing, Perrin . . .'
'Of course it is,' Perrin said. How could Rand not see that?"
Quote:
Day #29 "'Didn’t you once lead a band of thieves out of this forest?'
Birgitte grimaced. 'I was hoping you hadn’t heard that one.'”
Quote:
Day #30 Rand strode forward, lifting his arms out to the sides. Grass sprouted in waves, red blossoms burst from the ground like a blush upon the land. The storm stilled, the dark clouds burned away by light.

A joyful song, a song of awe and wonder, though she could not understand the words.
Quote:
Day 31 He doesn't want to fight in Andor, Elayne thought. He doesn't want to fight alongside me. He wishes the break to be clean.
Quote:
Day 32 Rand stiffened. He'd known what he was doing, on some level, but to hear it explained was disconcerting.
Quote:
Day 33 If the end of the Aiel was the sacrifice required for Rand to win, she would make it.
Quote:
Day 34 What did you do when the One Power failed, the thing you relied upon to raise you above common folk?
Quote:
Day 35 The Blight had consumed the Two Rivers.
Quote:
Day 36 "Run, Bela," Faile said. "If you've kept any strength back, now is the time to use it. Please. Run, girl. Run."
Quote:
Day 37 I AM THE ONLY HONESTY YOUR WORLD HAS EVER KNOWN.
Quote:
Day 38 Humankind did not have days remaining, but hours.
Quote:
Day 39 They seemed to be cracks into nothingness. They drew the light in, sucked it away. It was as if he was looking at fractures in the nature of reality itself.
Quote:
Day 40 "We'll remember those who fell, and we'll tell our children how we stood when the clouds turned black and the world started to die. We'll tell them we stood shoulder to shoulder, and there was just no space for the Shadow to squeeze through."
Quote:
Day 41 They stood at the edge of time itself, and still Thom Merrilin found a smile.
Quote:
Day 42 Loial, son of Arent son of Halan, had secretly always wanted to be hasty.
Quote:
Day 43 By the Light, he had a book to finish before he went!
Quote:
Day 44 Rise, and save the world.
Fin!

" 'Looks like the game can be won after all,' [Mat] said. 'Tell the foxes I'm mighty pleased with this key they gave me. Also, you can all go rot in a flaming pit of fire and ashes, you unwashed lumps on a pig's backside. Have a grand bloody day.' "

"Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day."

Last edited by Res_Ipsa; 01-09-2013 at 03:01 AM.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:14 PM
Youngling

Boli is just really niceBoli is just really niceBoli is just really niceBoli is just really nice

oh wow that is certainly tantalizing... my first thought is an object of the one power.

perhaps even the "missing" powerful sa'angrael referred to in book 4 by Lanfear. Considering he just came from the white tower maybe he picked something up?
Old 11-26-2012, 12:16 PM
Elder

Res_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant future

Yes "it" implies something concrete and readily ascertainable to one with proper knowledge. I too would be in favor of a power object.

" 'Looks like the game can be won after all,' [Mat] said. 'Tell the foxes I'm mighty pleased with this key they gave me. Also, you can all go rot in a flaming pit of fire and ashes, you unwashed lumps on a pig's backside. Have a grand bloody day.' "

"Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day."
Old 11-26-2012, 12:32 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Another chip away at the stupid Jesus Rand people. Yay.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:35 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
Another chip away at the stupid Jesus Rand people. Yay.
He works in mysterious ways, my child.

Clearly the "it" in this spoiler refers to "gumption" or "charisma".

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 11-26-2012, 12:38 PM
Elder

fdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant future

It's probably an 'angreal of some sort, but it's possible that Rand is referring in some way to his connection either to his past lives or his broader connection to the One Power. He's cognizant of his connection to the Light and being the Light's Champion, so maybe he's referring to that as well.

But yeah, it's probably something to do with an 'angreal. One sentence taken out of context, and a rather ambiguous sentence at that, isn't much to go on.

Edit:

Write a post, immediately think of something to disprove myself. Typical.

The "no one knew he had it" makes me doubt very seriously most of what I wrote. Everyone knows (or should know) that Rand is the Dragon Reborn. So...I'm going to go ahead and just conclude that he's referring to some object of the Power here.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:39 PM
Elder

It could not have been something large, if this is Rand speaking, he would not have been able to conceal it. Always the chance of another character though, perhaps one of the new dreadlords. The next sentence would read something like, "but then he had come and ruined everything," referring to Rand.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:52 PM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Res_Ipsa View Post
Day #1 "It had been useful at Maradon. Nobody knew he had it. That was important."
Davran Bashere. Talking (well, thinking) about the bit of tree that he had saved from when his teacher had those trees executed and buried. If Bashere were to admit that he had spoiled the burial he would of course be executed himself, yes my precious, he would. So he doesn't tell anyone that he has it. But it is what brings him luck. It is why he became a Great Captain.

Or maybe not. I do think that this theory deserves equal time with the "Rand got some sa'angreal in the WT while being watched by dozens of suspicious AS" one. It makes at least as much sense, after all.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:10 PM
Youngling

codetoast is a jewel in the roughcodetoast is a jewel in the roughcodetoast is a jewel in the roughcodetoast is a jewel in the rough

Rand speaking. Justice, a secret sa'angreal. How else was he able to suddenly channel for allthat time with that much power and controlling that many flows?
Old 11-26-2012, 01:14 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by codetoast View Post
Rand speaking. Justice, a secret sa'angreal. How else was he able to suddenly channel for allthat time with that much power and controlling that many flows?
Justice is the other sa'angreal that Lanfear mentioned...it all makes sense now!!!

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 11-26-2012, 01:24 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

If it's Justice, then it's the scabbard, not the sword.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:26 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
I dont think its either but its a fun theory either way.

Even funner: Its a sa'angreal that is keyed specifically to the Dragon soul so nobody else can use it. (thus why nobody knew what Justice was previously) and why the prophecies mention the Dragon wielding Justice.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:26 PM
Elder

jana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond repute

A brain.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:30 AM
Youngling

neurotopia is just really niceneurotopia is just really niceneurotopia is just really niceneurotopia is just really niceneurotopia is just really niceneurotopia is just really nice

If it is Rand's POV, he's testing something out and it isn't necessarily an angreal/sa'angreal. Maybe he's got that dagger to hide him from the Shadow, or he's trying to determine what happens to one of the Seals when he comes close to a direct confrontation with the DO.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:48 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

jana's suggestion makes even more sense than the one I made, I must admit.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:02 AM
Youngling

Cabadrin is a jewel in the roughCabadrin is a jewel in the roughCabadrin is a jewel in the rough

Bayle Domon, ship captain and collector of ancient objects, on his way south after a winter in Saldea when we meet him first time. Recently reappearing in the story, for no apparent reason and with no apparent mission.
EDIT he didn't know the a'dam had resurfaced so he had a reason to seek Elayne and Nynaeve to tell them END EDIT

So he has a nonchanneler ter'angreal.

Last edited by Cabadrin; 11-27-2012 at 04:54 AM.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:39 AM
Youngling

Menthu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My musings

Quote:
Arthurian legend paralell?

What of the small fat man angreal he lost at Dumai's Well? Maybe he acquired that somehow back? Would help him with all the channeling and Taim (AFAIK) couldn't secure it at that time.

But where did he get it / recollect it

Last edited by Menthu; 11-27-2012 at 04:39 AM. Reason: double smily
Old 11-27-2012, 05:30 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menthu View Post
But where did he get it / recollect it
Min had it all the time. He simply hadn't thought of asking her about it. This is yet another example of the "male/female failure to communicate" that is such an important theme in the series.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:25 AM
Hero of the Horn

Great Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to all
Default The Knife of Dreams

I don't know when he would have gone to collect it, but Aviendha and Elayne's Knife of Dreams that makes him undetectable to the Dark One would be of great use in whatever Shadow destroying idea Rand is planning.

I really like these other answers. A brain. A piece of tree. All that's missing is for my favorite poster Weiramon to posit that it was Cavalry, burn his soul.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:10 AM
Youngling

Sporkster is just really niceSporkster is just really niceSporkster is just really niceSporkster is just really nice
Default Agreed!

I agree with GLOTD. The Knife makes the most sense - mainly because of Rand's comments that he came close to exposing himself (heh) to the DO there, but didn't. Having the Knife helps that scenario come together.

Of course, my first thought when I read the quote was that Rand was talking about the True Power. But that makes no sense...

BRANDON SANDERSON
That is a good theory for people to be reading.

TEREZ: See, you're like a celebrity now.