art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (1): ShadowbaneX,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > A Memory of Light
User Name
Password

Old 12-29-2012, 12:11 PM
Youngling

fionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant future
Default NPR releases exclusive snippet from aMoL.

http://www.npr.org/2012/12/29/168075...ndon-sanderson

More from the Black Tower!
Old 12-29-2012, 12:38 PM
Elder

kivo is a name known to allkivo is a name known to allkivo is a name known to allkivo is a name known to allkivo is a name known to allkivo is a name known to allkivo is a name known to allkivo is a name known to allkivo is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by fionwe1987 View Post
Exciting!

"Who are you to ask for a meeting with the High Lady?" Falendre demanded. She emphasized the title for some reason.

"My name is Rand al'Thor. I'm the Dragon Reborn." If they had wept at hearing Semirhage's name, they wailed at hearing his.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:40 PM
Youngling

Tsofu is a name known to allTsofu is a name known to allTsofu is a name known to allTsofu is a name known to allTsofu is a name known to allTsofu is a name known to allTsofu is a name known to allTsofu is a name known to all

Thanks for posting that, fionwe!

I guess the big question with this excerpt -or one of them- is where in the chronology it falls. On first read, the writing was a bit clunky but nothing wrenching or painful. Hope springs eternal!

Tsofu

Tia mi aven Moridin isainde vadin
Old 12-29-2012, 12:44 PM
Youngling

fionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsofu View Post
Thanks for posting that, fionwe!

I guess the big question with this excerpt -or one of them- is where in the chronology it falls. On first read, the writing was a bit clunky but nothing wrenching or painful. Hope springs eternal!

Tsofu
I'm fairly sure this is soon after chapter 2, since Androl is still wondering about the mind-meld with Pevara.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:07 PM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Could be that it is after the actual Last Battle. For all we know, everyone outside plain forgot about the Black Tower.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:27 PM
Elder

kivo is a name known to allkivo is a name known to allkivo is a name known to allkivo is a name known to allkivo is a name known to allkivo is a name known to allkivo is a name known to allkivo is a name known to allkivo is a name known to all

Early chapter 3 according to tweets

"Who are you to ask for a meeting with the High Lady?" Falendre demanded. She emphasized the title for some reason.

"My name is Rand al'Thor. I'm the Dragon Reborn." If they had wept at hearing Semirhage's name, they wailed at hearing his.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:48 PM
Youngling

Yaunzaul is an unknown quantity at this point

I needed that. Now I am ready to face the day with a nice dose of blood pumping excitement.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:52 PM
Elder

FelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant future
Default Nalaam's Shara visit: Who is his Father?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fionwe1987 View Post
Indeed.

So Androl is now on a quest to find Logain... the man with "glory" in his future.

Perhaps the most curious part of this whole chapter, are the Nalaam Shara comments about his "father". And Nalaam's trip to Shara.

Off hand I know of only two Westlands characters who have visited Shara: Valan Luca, Jain Farstrider/Jain Charin.

Is Nalaam's father the true blind Dragon Reborn? A tinker born son, of then Seeker Valan Luca? Is Nalaam the 2nd unknown man dressed up as a "Hero", who visited THE NINE RINGS INN with Valan Luca before Rand, Hurin, Loial, Selene came upon Mistress Madwen's Inn?

Remember Luca grew up in Cairhien Damodred household(s) of Moiraine's two elder sisters, where plural marriage was a common custom. Moiraine herself has multiple half-siblings from her father's other wives. Anyways, casual sex without marriage is common in Cairhien among nobles... think festival days. Tinker's have similar customs too.

Luca did spent a long time at Ogier Steddings... he is fluent in Ogier... before being severed by Elaida Sedai in the Black Hills. That "severing" took place about the timeline of New Spring the Novel, likely after Moiraine fled the Tower.

(Luca's Gareth Bryne son, with his mother an Andor Queen from the House Norwelyn. Remember Norwelyn->Mantear->Trakand is the order. Gareth Bryne was First Prince Regent for the Andoran Queen's Norwelyn, Mantear. Gawyn correctly states Gareth is more of a symbol of Andor than its Queen, as some do say. Irony enough Gawyn is truly of Gareth Bryne's seed too.)

Whereas a third character from the Band of the Red Hand, Harnan, seems to be from Shara originally. Though Harnan is not from the part of Shara where the Red Veiled Aiel male & (nude) female are from. Harnan more likely from a eastern or southern Shara port area... he seems to know who the Seanchan are, based on his behavior.

AMoL Chapter 3 reads like a Brandon Sanderson written chapter if that is one's preferred style to read.

How does one assume this? Few metaphors, ample ratio of dialogue.

(Logain is Perrin's replacement ultimately in the West realms, who is the opposite of Matrim's Eastern realms. Each realm build like a 'clock', so goes an early TEotW metaphor, which Mat describes.)

For more see, @TinkerPride at Twitter.com

Last edited by FelixPax; 12-29-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:52 PM
Youngling

frenchie has much to be proud offrenchie has much to be proud offrenchie has much to be proud offrenchie has much to be proud offrenchie has much to be proud offrenchie has much to be proud offrenchie has much to be proud offrenchie has much to be proud offrenchie has much to be proud offrenchie has much to be proud offrenchie has much to be proud of

I'd guess that it's Linda from 13th Depository's inn.

Edit - Yes, she's in the book too. Good for her.

Galad: Not the face!

Gawyn: Yes, the face.

Last edited by frenchie; 12-29-2012 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Adding confirmation.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:10 AM
Youngling

The Angry Druid is just really niceThe Angry Druid is just really niceThe Angry Druid is just really niceThe Angry Druid is just really niceThe Angry Druid is just really niceThe Angry Druid is just really nice

Yes, nice to get some more BT action.

I thought of Linda with Lind as well. I kind of liked BSs dropping people in as Innkeepers, though I know some don't.

And, of course, I'm hoping "lock this place up tightly to night" is an NPR issue, not one with the actual book.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:06 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

I'm wondering where Logain actually is. It seems pretty unlikely that Logain and Taim together visited Rand, as if that had happened, then Taim wouldn't have left in one piece.
Maybe Logain is holed up in a Stedding somewhere, with some of Taim's cronies around to keep him from reaching a place from where he could leave.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:21 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchie View Post
I'd guess that it's Linda from 13th Depository's inn.

Edit - Yes, she's in the book too. Good for her.
Yes, nothing like more awkward fan-based names to finish this up.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 12-30-2012, 10:12 AM
Youngling

frenchie has much to be proud offrenchie has much to be proud offrenchie has much to be proud offrenchie has much to be proud offrenchie has much to be proud offrenchie has much to be proud offrenchie has much to be proud offrenchie has much to be proud offrenchie has much to be proud offrenchie has much to be proud offrenchie has much to be proud of

I'm originally from Wotmania, and Linda did a lot to keep the site going while Mike was an absentee landlord. It's nice to see her get some recognition. As for the fan name issue, yes, I agree with you I could do without it.

Galad: Not the face!

Gawyn: Yes, the face.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:16 PM
ReadandFindOut.com

Dom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
I'm wondering where Logain actually is. It seems pretty unlikely that Logain and Taim together visited Rand, as if that had happened, then Taim wouldn't have left in one piece.
Maybe Logain is holed up in a Stedding somewhere, with some of Taim's cronies around to keep him from reaching a place from where he could leave.
It's a rather hard call to make with Brandon at the helm.

He's usually not that devious, nowhere as RJ could be, but he might well surprise us (which is all good). Odds are if he tells us Logain is a prisoner, Logain is a prisoner, but still... my feeling is that Logain is not around. Androl likely doesn't know about inverted Mask of Mirrors, and with men strength isn't much of an issue (Taim himself can play the part, if proof of strength is absolutely necessary). Taim doesn't need the real Logain to show what remains of his faction at the BT a Logain. Capturing the real Logain isn't without risks (though the benefits could be great).

The whole thing stink of a scheme to facilitate/accelerate the captures/turnings of the last men at the BT as time is running out (we are probably fairly close to the timeline of Merrilor, from a few days to a few weeks at most.

Obviously Rand's meeting with Egwene has occured and the Shadow has got its "one month" deadline to get ready. Rand obviously has been observing these preparations.

The rest is a matter of how close Taim decided to cut it. It's probably a few weeks away from Merrilor (but could actually be just a day or two), as Taim can't be sure Rand isn't about to come or send someone to summons all the BT to the Gathering, and he's got to have the place in full control if Rand's emissaries show up. He can't really be expecting what Rand has really done: send someone on the eve of Merrilor to infiltrate the place and gather intelligence.). Taim may also have a pre-Merrilor big move to make.

Taim's done picking out one man to be turned after another, avoiding suspicion from the remainder. Suspicions are already on the rise. Taim wants to gather all the remaining lambs, and having a Logain, their "leader", to show them would ensure every last man in the place, and most denizens of the BT, won't skip that gathering, nor be too suspicious that all his men are also present, ready to strike. Taim will capture those he intends to capture, kill those he intends to kill, take hostage those he intends to use that way.

As for Androl, the reason why he wasn't turned is becoming obvious: Taim simply doesn't want him or the still too weak/unskilled men. Pevara probably wasn't touched in case Taim needed one "clean" sister to show or use, compelled or not The rest are all marked for murder, soon. The Two Rivers men look more and more suspiciously like bait/hostages - turned or kept alive, or killed, like the families of men from Logain's faction, Egwene's envoys are probably on the back burner, waiting for Taim to be done with the people inside, after which he will invite them in, trap them all and kill the soldiers and warders. It's better to wait and deal with them in one blow. Taim probably can't be sure none of the Greens has left a warder in Tar Valon or elsewhere, who will tip off the WT something really wrong just happened.

Where's Logain? Well... Rand clearly expects him and his faction to have gone back to the BT after they split in the aftermath of Semirhage's capture. Some of Logain's men and their AS are with Rand/joined Rand/went to Tear/Illian, followed to AD, or went to Saldaea etc. We know the core of the faction actually have not returned to the BT. We know some of the men/AS with him in KOD have been captured.

Logain certainly hasn't changed his mind about Taim: he's convinced he serves the Shadow but he came to Rand with no proof, and Rand didn't buy it. By the end of KOD his relationship with Rand wasn't that good, he had heard Semirhage's claim about his insanity and LTT (his face was like a carved mask, unreadable, when he heard). If Logain has any of his usual common sense left (and why wouldn't he?), he's not returned to the BT. His core faction, his closest men and their AS, went in hiding, sending scouts to keep tabs on Taim, find proof of his suspicions. Some at least of his scouts/spies have been captured. By now Logain must know better than sending more men and sisters there, let alone show up there in person. Rand has no idea where Logain's faction is hiding, but Taim probably knows from Wylin/Jenare and other captives, and he probably knows Logain is hiding from Rand. By now, Taim may well have a pawn infiltrated in Logain's lair, keeping tabs on his moves. A DF Asha'man infiltrated since the BT days, or a compelled rather than turned Asha'man from Logain's faction would do the trick. The agent may have reported to Logain all was well, Wylin and co. were in place and pretending to join Taim to learn more about his inner circle, ready to come back with proofs he serves the Shadow as soon as they found them. And Logain is biding his time, waiting for Taim to move, meanwhile training his faction hard in mixed gender work and developing a strategy to deal with Taim, since Rand doesn't seem to care.

It suggests Taim has plans to strike at Logain before he joins Rand or if he showed any sign of planning to do so, capture or destroy his faction in one big swoop (it would probably have to involve BA/turned sisters and circles... Logain's group aren't easy meat, especially not after what they learned from Rand at the Tairen manor and with what they must have practice since), as soon as the work is finished at the BT. It could well be his planned opening move for the Last Battle: strike at Logain's lair.

They're the Light's elite channelers or what stands for that. They're the ones who can spread much faster new warfare weaves and mixed gender techniques. Face to face with Egwene, they could also help a lot defuse the tensions between Asha'man and Aes Sedai. It would be a massive victory for the Shadow if Taim could eliminate that group.

I'm not convinced RJ left us a clue to puzzle out where Logain has gone to hide, but if he did the obvious choice comes from KOD: Logain has gone to hide somewhere on his former lands in Ghealdan. It's remote, he's not supposed to be there and it's unexpected he would risk going to an area where he's infamous - but we saw the sort of leader/man Logain is. He's a charismatic man who knows to make himself respected and liked by the people under him, who could very well have solid allies back home, among his peasants, among early followers from his False Dragon days etc. Some that's my best guess: Logain and his core faction are hidden in a small mountain community in Ghealdan, among people who very much liked him as their lord and have remained loyal to him.

It wouldn't be easy for Rand to find him. Cadsuane might well puzzle it out if Naeff returns and confirms Logain isn't at the BT. Logain himself is no fool, he probably gathers intelligence and probably heard of Merrilor. He could well show up there. He could also face an attack from Taim first, though.

I think the whole Androl story line is meant to provide us with a window on Taim's actions, perhaps some insight into his plans. We know Brandon considered cutting it out, the set up phase from TOM and the early AMOL chapters anyway.

IMO, it suggests the final bloody events at the BT will happen and Taim will secure his rule, but not without Androl and Naeff joining forces and managing to rescue some people, perhaps the Asha'man's families, some male channelers, and I think they stand a fair chance to rescue most of Egwene's 47 envoys. If those were to fall into Taim's grasp and be turned or killed, the fall out at the WT would be enormous - hard to see how Egwene could overcome her murderous anger over this development, and even if somehow she could, how she could keep the Hall and Tower's murderous anger in control, and at Merrilor the timing for such a crisis to arise would be terrible, catastrophic. Somehow, the envoys have to be saved. It leaves Naeff, who is about to use a MoM to get inside, and Androl who is already inside. It could involve Logain if he's a prisoner and hasn't been turned, but I doubt he is really there.

The full blown BT conflict can't happen so early. Whatever battle happens can't be decisive. There's 600+ pages of LB to go, way too early to wipe out in any significant way the Dreadlords. At best, Taim and his faction will be driven out, but like the BA in TGS a great deal will escape. More likely Taim's final coup will largely succeed and he'll entrench himself at the BT, to be dealt with during TG, when Rand's hope to strike early and that way avoid most of the War that could scatter the Light until Shai'tan has been dealt with and the Light alliance can then take out all pockets of Shai'tan's servants one after the other, and deal with the Seanchan, will have to be abandoned.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:42 PM
ReadandFindOut.com

Dom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchie View Post
I'm originally from Wotmania, and Linda did a lot to keep the site going while Mike was an absentee landlord. It's nice to see her get some recognition. As for the fan name issue, yes, I agree with you I could do without it.
And the scene was much better done than previous ones in the same vein, the references more clever and funnier - down to putting Linda in that scene precisely, when one is aware of her essays on the darkness of the BT/nazi parallels and with her pet theories about Taim/Moridin.

Was anything "funny" really welcome in that scene, that's another question! I think not.

I still would have preferred Brandon avoided that sort of thing altogether (if he wanted to pay homage to fans and sites, I think Brandon should have written WOT scenes for his website or Tor.com or vignettes for a novella-type thing. The guy can be really funny, and he could have gone for full parody or close had he done it that way. Sticking them in the books... not so great).

It's distracting and it always throws many readers straight out of the books' universe to have scenes like this (even when RJ included inside jokes à la Mr. Underhill it made me cringe, and Linda didn't care much for that either, as far as I remember)

But at least this time Brandon's done it well, it's better integrated. The scene is quite good even if the comical tone detracts from the mood. But this sort of inside joke forcibly turns into comic relief and I definitely could have done without any comic relief in that BT scene - the Nalaam stuff was already too much, to my taste. It's curious how Brandon shied away from the full on darkness and ominousness the whole BT arc, to my tastes anyway, called for, that he put so many comic relief moments in them. The inn stuff is good but too comical, the Nalaam jokes are sometimes funny but the whole thing have gotten repetitive, the Pevara-Androl stuff is a little too humorous. I miss the bone chilling tone set by RJ in the KOD epilogue a bit.

But making abstraction of all this, the scene is quite good. It was going a little slow, but it's heading for interesting stuff at last.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:55 AM
Elder

maacaroni has a brilliant futuremaacaroni has a brilliant futuremaacaroni has a brilliant futuremaacaroni has a brilliant futuremaacaroni has a brilliant futuremaacaroni has a brilliant futuremaacaroni has a brilliant futuremaacaroni has a brilliant futuremaacaroni has a brilliant futuremaacaroni has a brilliant futuremaacaroni has a brilliant future

With all your Nalaam/Nalaam's father theories, have you entertained the notion that he may be a bullsh*tter? i.e. making it all up.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:37 AM
Youngling

Dajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant future

A very tasty snippet. Thanks for posting.

I think now from this point I will be enacting an internet embargo though... 8 more sleeps and I do not want to inadvertantly stumble on to a scene that I wish I hadn't read pre-book.

"Saighdiúirí, a ullmhú marcra chun pas a fháil ar aghaidh! Ar aghaidh an Gharda Chroí! Ar aghaidh! Chun an tOnórach an Iolar Dearg! An Iolar Dearg!"

beidh mo chlaíomh onóir na marbh.