art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7652

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Book 12: The Gathering Storm
User Name
Password

Old 10-21-2009, 12:15 AM
Elder

bowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez
What are you guys talking about?
We can't tell you, since it's a pretty big ol' fat spoiler. Do you want vagueish hints?
Old 10-21-2009, 12:37 AM
Youngling

creepybob has a spectacular aura aboutcreepybob has a spectacular aura aboutcreepybob has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlwoman
No kidding. Especially after Jennifer's hint. I didn't see the supporting info in the thread, so did someone PM you the extra deets?

Spoiler:
If her death is connected to the FS, do we want to speculate still whether that means she's BA or not?
Spoiler:
The extra bit was from later posts, specifically #75, made by the same guy who listed the chapters

I don't know if he was only referring to Verin's motivations, or to Demandred AND Verin's motivations.

As to BA, I don't know.

The last we've heard of Verin is in KoD, she's interested in both Taim and a statement by Rand that he "can't fight the Shadow and the Seanchan."

Then she leaves a letter:

"As I said, I have done what I can do here. I believe that I can fulfill my oath to you better elsewhere, so 1 have taken Tomas and gone to be about it. There are many ways to serve you, after all, and many needs. I am convinced that you can trust Cadsuane, and you certainly should heed her advice, but be wary of other sisters, including those who have sworn fealty to you. Such an oath means nothing to a Black sister, and even those who walk in the Light may interpret it in ways you would disapprove of. You already know that few see that oath as invoking absolute obedience in all things. Some may find other holes. So whether or not you follow Cadsuane's advice. and I repeat that you should, follow mine.
Be very wary."

Is she a darkfriend? I still don't think so, I think that Logain's statements about estates might have reminded her of something, hell she might know 'bout Graendal.

Either way she dies, and if it's connected to the Shadow, I don't see how leaving Rand at that point aids the Shadow. It's gotta be something else.

Pirate > Ninja
Old 10-21-2009, 01:01 AM
Elder

bowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepybob
Spoiler:
The extra bit was from later posts, specifically #75, made by the same guy who listed the chapters

I don't know if he was only referring to Verin's motivations, or to Demandred AND Verin's motivations.
Spoiler:
I read it as only Verin's motivations, since someone else posted that you really don't see much more of Demandred than what's already been in the prologue. Based on Jennifer's hint, if Verin's in the WT then it could be anyone, BA or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepybob
Spoiler:
As to BA, I don't know.

The last we've heard of Verin is in KoD, she's interested in both Taim and a statement by Rand that he "can't fight the Shadow and the Seanchan."

Then she leaves a letter:

"As I said, I have done what I can do here. I believe that I can fulfill my oath to you better elsewhere, so 1 have taken Tomas and gone to be about it. There are many ways to serve you, after all, and many needs. I am convinced that you can trust Cadsuane, and you certainly should heed her advice, but be wary of other sisters, including those who have sworn fealty to you. Such an oath means nothing to a Black sister, and even those who walk in the Light may interpret it in ways you would disapprove of. You already know that few see that oath as invoking absolute obedience in all things. Some may find other holes. So whether or not you follow Cadsuane's advice. and I repeat that you should, follow mine.
Be very wary."

Is she a darkfriend? I still don't think so, I think that Logain's statements about estates might have reminded her of something, hell she might know 'bout Graendal.

Either way she dies, and if it's connected to the Shadow, I don't see how leaving Rand at that point aids the Shadow. It's gotta be something else
Spoiler:
I don't think she's a darkfriend, and I haven't for a while. I personally think her (self-appointed or not) task is to see that the conditions of the various prophecies are met, particularly the KC. To me, that explains some of her cryptic comments and blatant manipulations.

She was very interested in the Dark Prophecy in Fal Dara, so I wonder if she'll have a run-in with Slayer while trying to decipher it completely. Maybe he's the one who kills her...
Old 10-21-2009, 01:05 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

I actually didn't mind that spoiler much. Is that the worst one in the thread?
Old 10-21-2009, 02:26 AM
Youngling

creepybob has a spectacular aura aboutcreepybob has a spectacular aura aboutcreepybob has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez
I actually didn't mind that spoiler much. Is that the worst one in the thread?
So far it's the only one.

I could send emails to those who've read it, but I'm more than happy to pick up whatever comes along in the forum.

Pirate > Ninja
Old 10-21-2009, 02:47 AM
Youngling

Here's a condenced version of that DM thread, in case you hate DM or something:

Spoiler:

Verin will die, we find out what her plans were. They are not spoiled by her death.

No Fain POV
No Slayer POV
No Moiraine POV
No new info on Noal
A couple of min viewings
Not a whole lot more prophecy.

About Demandred, nothing much for Demandred in this book. lots of suspicious characters though that might turn out as Demandred.

Regarding Verin's Loyalty... she is loyal up to the very end. and her 70-year project was not put into waste

Ok regarding Rand and Lews therin, lets just say that Rand did what he promised to Lews Therin. In return Lews Therin helped Rand find himself

About Verin, Her 70-year project was finally revealed. as some of you might have read in my post, she'll die

Mat will find out that the bubbles of evil are far more evil than they used to be. Also the Prince of Ravens will lose the Daughter of the Nine Moons. Tuon will die <---(And be renamed as Empress...the sneaky bastard)

Egwene will finally realize that a broken blade can never be mended, instead it will must be reforged anew. <---(This can mean anything...it could mean removing the aijas, or something similar, or just changing the Red's purpose, or doing away with the oaths.)

Oh, aviendha will visit the Waste once more <---(She's supposed to be close to finishing her apprenticeship anyway, so it makes sense that she becomes a full-on Wise One)

Is Mazrim Taim present in this book?
nope

Would you regard Egwene as being 'happy' at the end of TGS?
happy, hopeful, and ready. that is egwene at the end of the book.

Does it seem like the Dark One is actually winning by any means?
The dark one's touch is becoming more and more horrifying

Any new very surprising DF's?
oh yeah! a very surprising DF indeed

Do any good guys besides the one you mentioned die?
well one of the "used to be" good guy/girl will die. <---(I think he means the newly revealed DF...whomever it is.

I think one of my favorite characters in this book was Talmanes. He doesn't play a huge part but Brandon really made him more 3-dimensional. We of course can't forget Verin either. I was enraptured by her appearances.

Veins of Gold is one of the best chapters in the series. But I assure you every single chapter in this book will be phenomenal (well that excludes the Perrin chapters though LOL)

Who will we find out is a Darkfriend?
Lots of Aes Sedai (BA Bust Implication)

(separate) And yeah, we will see Elaida in this book (we already knew that from chap 2)

well a LOT of things happened. especially with tons of Darkfriends showing up! I don't want to spoil the fun but let's just say TDR hit two birds in this book (at least with where I am now)

Btw, the conversation with Verin is....

Moridin will do something cool in this book Smiley

Chapter 22 will be very monumental IMHO. (Title: The Last that Could be Done)

Like I said Chapter 22 will be a very big turning point in the story.

at the point where i'm at around 2 months have already passed.

Aldrin (Name in Chapter 11) is an integral part of the book. Also the bubbles of evil in this book is 100X scarier that those in books 10 and 11

That'll save some digging. It includes 'till page 8 for future reference

Pirate > Ninja
Old 10-21-2009, 08:01 AM
Elder

Wunderwaffe has a spectacular aura aboutWunderwaffe has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Wunderwaffe

I shouldn't have read the chapter titles.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:47 AM
Hero of the Horn

Mort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Mort

Now why did I have to be so curious and read all the spoilers? It didn't spoil all that much too me, but now I'm like 10x more excited, I can't take more excitement!!

I'll have to hide beneath a stone or something for a few days when the book is out. I won't be able to read it or a few days

"I discovered at an early age that if I talk long enough, I can make anything right or wrong. So either I am God, or truth is relative." - Jeff Winger, Community
----------

We rode on the winds of the rising storm, we ran to the sounds of thunder.
We danced among the lighting bolts, and tore the world asunder.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:02 AM
Elder

Another MAJOR spoiler from DM (although some people may not call it a spoiler at all ):

Spoiler:
Sheriam is BA.

Last edited by bowlwoman; 10-21-2009 at 11:20 AM.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:29 PM
Hero of the Horn

SauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to SauceyBlueConfetti

Crap. Now I have to avoid this thread because, yes, I am also a spoiler whore. But I am holding STRONG right now and not reading them.

Crap. Crap. Crappity Crap.

Anyone taking the day off Tuesday from work to read? I was planning on it, but a meeting came up that I can't change. BOOOOOOOOO!

I remember the last release and how the boards were completely desolate for hours and hours. All the little nerds off reading and thinking, reading and thinking.

I AM SO EXCITED!
Yeah. Murderous Saucey. My superhero name
I am Detroit. You REALLY wanna call me wimpy?
Haphazardly Spell & Fact Checked Since June 2001
Old 10-21-2009, 12:44 PM
Hero of the Horn

1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via ICQ to 1Powerslave Send a message via MSN to 1Powerslave Send a message via Yahoo to 1Powerslave

Now why did I have to go and read the first three words Creepybob's condenced DM spoilers. Gaaah! I didn't want to be spoiled! Why would i want that? But how was I to know the good stuff was in the first three wordsss!!!
I think I need to stay away from the tGS board. Grrr.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:08 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

Bob, I think you should start a new thread for your spoilers - a lot of people are probably coming in here thinking they're only going to read chapter titles and getting whole book spoilers.

But yay, interesting tidbits! Let's discuss them in another thread!
Old 10-21-2009, 01:09 PM
Elder

Can we split off the posts that have the actual spoilers/discussions?
Old 10-21-2009, 01:12 PM
Hero of the Horn

Looking into it. Tam doesn't want to look, even at the chapter titles, so he won't do it.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:15 PM
Hero of the Horn

Callandor has a reputation beyond reputeCallandor has a reputation beyond reputeCallandor has a reputation beyond reputeCallandor has a reputation beyond reputeCallandor has a reputation beyond reputeCallandor has a reputation beyond reputeCallandor has a reputation beyond reputeCallandor has a reputation beyond reputeCallandor has a reputation beyond reputeCallandor has a reputation beyond reputeCallandor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ah self-control -- lots of spoilers being tossed about

It's such a good thing to have. I gave myself a treat with chapter titles, and that's it.

I like keeping that tradition, so no spoilers for me. Thankfully, people have been good with blocking them.

So far.

Saucey needs her space, so run run run!

And now I'm off to find my rock dwelling once more. Spoiler whores of Theoryland!

"I was cured, all right."
-A Clockwork Orange

"I'll see you on the dark side of the Moon."
-Pink Floyd

The Stone of Tear
Old 10-21-2009, 01:16 PM
Hero of the Horn

haha, you were a spoiler whore for KoD weren't you? I seem to remember you posting in all the spoiler threads, while I was avoiding them. I had better self control when I was a noob...
Old 10-21-2009, 01:21 PM
Hero of the Horn

SauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to SauceyBlueConfetti

Stick with us for a bit C. I have missed you and I am not afraid to admit it!
Yeah. Murderous Saucey. My superhero name
I am Detroit. You REALLY wanna call me wimpy?
Haphazardly Spell & Fact Checked Since June 2001
Old 10-21-2009, 01:25 PM
Hero of the Horn

I'm sure he'll be back next week, lol.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:00 PM
Hero of the Horn

Enigma will become famous soon enoughEnigma will become famous soon enough

Chapter 36: The Death of Tuon

Don't the empresses take a new name when they become empress. If I'm not mistaken Suroth considered this when thinking of Tuon and the Empress being dead and going for the job herself.

If she is being crowned would it not be Tuon is no more long live the Empress X.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:21 PM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Yep. That one's intuitively obvious to the most casual reader.
Which means that Asmodean was killed by Mat's late mother in law.