art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Book 12: The Gathering Storm
User Name
Password

Old 10-31-2009, 12:57 PM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez
Nynaeve will rip Rand out of Tel'aran'rhiod when he dies. (Thanks for reminding me of that one, WH.)
heh, I'm sure others have thought of that one, but I also thought of it back in my early days on the board.
Old 10-31-2009, 04:24 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Yeah, I know - I've thought of it long before this as well - but I've never seen anyone argue it convincingly. Not that it takes much to argue it convincingly....but the reminder in this book that Nynaeve only has to see a weave once to learn it is what convinced me. I never bought that she would Heal death. That would be lame. But the foreshadowings do point to it.....
Old 11-02-2009, 09:46 AM
Hero of the Horn

Mort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Mort

I'd like to expand Verin's letter to Mat (what it entails) to include something about why, if he doesn't open the letter, have to wait before going from Caemlyn. Buggs the hell out of me.

"I discovered at an early age that if I talk long enough, I can make anything right or wrong. So either I am God, or truth is relative." - Jeff Winger, Community
----------

We rode on the winds of the rising storm, we ran to the sounds of thunder.
We danced among the lighting bolts, and tore the world asunder.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:09 AM
Elder

One Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to all

For some reason I think Verin's letter has to do with Moiraine and the ToG.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:22 AM
Hero of the Horn

1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via ICQ to 1Powerslave Send a message via MSN to 1Powerslave Send a message via Yahoo to 1Powerslave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort
I'd like to expand Verin's letter to Mat (what it entails) to include something about why, if he doesn't open the letter, have to wait before going from Caemlyn. Buggs the hell out of me.
I think Verin's letter says that Mat must/should go to the Tower and fetch the Horn. She told him to wait because she'd bring it to him if she had managed to come out of the Tower alive. But what she told Egwene had to come first.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:46 AM
Hero of the Horn

Mort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Mort

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Armed Gimp
For some reason I think Verin's letter has to do with Moiraine and the ToG.
Most likely that or she somehow know what will happen if Mat travels from Caemlyn before a certain time has passed.

I'm wondering if this has something to do with Moiraine or with Mat's safety. I don't see how anything would affect Moiraine by having Mat wait 30 days to rescue her. The number of days doesn't seem to be specific either, they compromised it to 30 days from 50 originally.

I think waiting 30 days is for Mat's benefit somehow.

What could possible change by waiting a seemingly arbitrary number of days?

Maybe Verin hope that the BA will be mostly erradicated in that time, which would make it easier for Mat to do what needs to be done, since both him and Perrin have now been targetted by the Shadow to a larger extent than before... Maybe the letter contains a list of BA that has been ordered to hunt Mat down?

Speaking of Perrin. Maybe he will get a visit from Verin too in ToM since both Mat's and Perrin's timeframe is a little behind everyone elses (at least Rand's). That would be a little weird, seeing her and knowing what will happen later.

Another thing, we know that an Aes Sedai can't lie even in a letter. But what about the "betray BA secret" oath Verin took. Can she write down those secrets in a letter and hand it off to someone? That would probably constitute as a betrayal, but maybe the loophole there is that the betrayal isn't a betrayal until the reciever of the letter actually reads it. So by making Mat promise not to read the letter until after she is either dead or have gotten her oath removed, she can give that letter to Mat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Powerslave
I think Verin's letter says that Mat must/should go to the Tower and fetch the Horn. She told him to wait because she'd bring it to him if she had managed to come out of the Tower alive. But what she told Egwene had to come first.
Another likely possibility. Mat would most likely not survive going to the WT when the BA still roam the halls. Clearing those out first makes the trip a lot more safe

"I discovered at an early age that if I talk long enough, I can make anything right or wrong. So either I am God, or truth is relative." - Jeff Winger, Community
----------

We rode on the winds of the rising storm, we ran to the sounds of thunder.
We danced among the lighting bolts, and tore the world asunder.

Last edited by Mort; 11-02-2009 at 10:48 AM.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:00 AM
Lord of the Board

Tamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tamyrlin
Default Heh

Any way her letter, when opened, can open a Gateway into the White Tower where the Horn is being kept?
Old 11-02-2009, 11:04 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamyrlin
Any way her letter, when opened, can open a Gateway into the White Tower where the Horn is being kept?
LOL...no, probably not. But he'll be in Camelyn with plenty of channelers capable of making a Gateway for him..something Verin would know.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 11-02-2009, 11:20 AM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93
LOL...no, probably not. But he'll be in Camelyn with plenty of channelers capable of making a Gateway for him..something Verin would know.
true, but given that Egwene's now in charge most of those items are going to be moved and I'm thinking that the Horn of Valere will be one item that they want kept secure.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:28 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowbaneX
true, but given that Egwene's now in charge most of those items are going to be moved and I'm thinking that the Horn of Valere will be one item that they want kept secure.
Well, Mat could always show Egwene Verin's letter and convince her, right? Seriously though, that's a good point. Assuming Siuan tells her where it is.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 11-02-2009, 11:35 AM
Elder

One Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to all

I had forgotten about the Horn. I would be willing to bet she mentions that in her letter as well.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:52 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Verin may have taken the Horn out of the Tower already. Perhaps the letter contains instructions on how to find it.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:05 PM
Hero of the Horn

WinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to WinespringBrother

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat
Verin may have taken the Horn out of the Tower already. Perhaps the letter contains instructions on how to find it.
Not another Great Hunt!!!

"Oh, y'all [Theorylanders] are awesome with awesome sauce, but you ask a lot of tricky questions. I had to watch myself with you guys." - Maria

"I need to RAFO more things, I'm not being very Robert Jordan..." - Brandon
Old 11-02-2009, 12:30 PM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinespringBrother
Not another Great Hunt!!!
During my reread, I noticed that there were quite a few re-usable chapter titles. So why shouldn't this one be re-used too?
Old 11-02-2009, 02:09 PM
Ancient

Ozymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belazamon
Yes.
Not necessarily. I think thats the most likely possibility, but again, it brings up lots of questions of how the TP functions.

For example, we know that Semi was meant to capture Rand. We also know that anyone can touch the TP, the only obstacle is the DO's permission. Is it not possible the entire situation was a goad, to make Rand touch the TP and thus turn him to the Shadow?
Old 11-02-2009, 02:15 PM
Ancient

Ozymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat
I'm pretty sure she hasn't. I'll have to go back and check, but we've had one Horn of Valere sighting (Fain, when he recovers the dagger) since the early chapters of tSR. Verin has mentioned that she's been incapable of going back to the Tower, and I just don't remember where she took the Two Rivers girls. If she didn't take the to the Tower, the timing we have indicates strongly she would not have time to go to the Tower, go to Tear, go to the Damonas, and wait there for months.

Maybe terez or someone can help me out with the timing. Sadly, I'm in class and have no access to the books except memory.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:40 PM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias
Maybe terez or someone can help me out with the timing. Sadly, I'm in class and have no access to the books except memory.
http://www.stevenac.net/wot/wotchron.htm

The Chronology isn't updated for tGS yet, but Verin's departure from Rand's company is marked.

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:01 PM
Hero of the Horn

Belazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Belazamon

Quote:
Is it not possible the entire situation was a goad, to make Rand touch the TP and thus turn him to the Shadow?
I'm afraid this question is going to be up to personal opinion for the foreseeable future. The way I read it, it seems obvious that nobody expected Rand to suddenly have access to the True Power, and it's shocking but logical that his link with Moridin could possibly give him that access. Since the link is "poorly understood" by everyone, I don't think it could be counted on to have this particular effect, except in hindsight.

As for "anyone can touch the True Power" - I don't disbelieve that this is basically true, but I don't really believe that it's as simple as all that.

No one cares, no one sympathizes
You just stand around and play synthesizers
Old 11-02-2009, 03:02 PM
Hero of the Horn

Belazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Belazamon

Quote:
Verin has mentioned that she's been incapable of going back to the Tower, and I just don't remember where she took the Two Rivers girls.
Problem is, we now know that the story she fed Mat may have been fabricated, at least partly.

No one cares, no one sympathizes
You just stand around and play synthesizers
Old 11-02-2009, 03:08 PM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belazamon
As for "anyone can touch the True Power" - I don't disbelieve that this is basically true, but I don't really believe that it's as simple as all that.
Past discussion seem to me to have concluded that the ability to Channel the OP is a prerequisite for Channeling the True Power. Thus "anyone" is an overstatement or lacks a qualifier.

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.