art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Book 12: The Gathering Storm
User Name
Password

Old 11-09-2009, 02:34 PM
Hero of the Horn

1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via ICQ to 1Powerslave Send a message via MSN to 1Powerslave Send a message via Yahoo to 1Powerslave
Default Some questions about the book titles listed in the Glossary; A puzzle?

After reading the glossary I found myself wondering why the various books Min is reading are listed in the glossary along with a useless explanation in the style of "a book of which little is known." are included. Why include the titles of those books if there is nothing to say about them?

Is this common practice for books mentioned within the books?
I haven't been able to check the other glossaries cause I don't have the books with me right now.

So I was thinking that if there doesn't seem to be a appearant purpose in listing those book titles Min is reading (perhaps one or two books wasn't books that Min was reading, haven't checked), perhaps there is a hidden purpose. An intentional clue left for us! A puzzle hinting at what Min is trying to figure out, namely how to seal the Dark One's prison. I almost think that listing these titles in the Glossary in this suspicious maner is like screaming at us to discuss them.

Here are the book titles mentioned in the Glossary along with the stupid one-liners attached to them:

Commentary of the Dragon: A book by Sajius of which little is known.
Comprehensive Discussion of Pre-Breaking Relics, A: A book of which little is known (other than its title).
Echoes of His Dynasty: A book of which little is known.
Falling Shale: A history of which little is known.
Marks and Remarks: A history of which little is known.
Meditations of the Kindling Flame: A history dealing with the rise of various Amyrlins.
Monuments Past: A history of which little is known.
Proper Taming of Power, The: A history of which little is known.
Thoughts Among the Ruins: An Ancient work of history.
Wake of the Breaking, The: A book of which little is known.

So what do you guys think?

Last edited by 1Powerslave; 11-09-2009 at 02:37 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:43 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

'Meditations on the Kindling Flame' was a book Silviana was reading, btw. Most of the rest, I recognize as Fel's books, but some I'm not sure about. I dunno if it's screaming at us to discuss them - we learn more about those books inside the text.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:45 PM
Youngling

matrimzombie will become famous soon enoughmatrimzombie will become famous soon enough

I noticed that as well Powerslave, i'm not sure why you bother to put them in the glossary if they are as seemingly unimportant as their glossary entry suggests.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:12 PM
Youngling

Tarcanus is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Tarcanus Send a message via Yahoo to Tarcanus

I want to say that The Proper Taming of Power was something Cadsuane was reading. I assumed it was because she was grasping at straws for how to guide Rand.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:14 PM
Lord of the Board

Tamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tamyrlin
Default This goes back to that question of ciphers and codes

Brandon mentioned specifically that the entire letter from Moiraine was in the glossary. Maybe they are just trying to give fans more of these types of things...or maybe the small clues and such are hidden in the glossary and "in this book" is tongue in cheek?
Old 11-09-2009, 05:14 PM
Elder

nameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant future

In one of the interview Q+A sessions posted on another thread BS mentions that several of the authors mentioned are actually authors from our own Age that are only dimly remembered in the 3rd Age. I'm not sure there's really enough evidence to figure out who's who, though.

The best I've got so far:
Sajius: Carl Sagan? This is probably a red herring because he's mentioned specifically in relation to commentaries on the Prophecies.
Pelateos: Plato
Old 11-09-2009, 07:44 PM
Hero of the Horn

JSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to JSUCamel Send a message via MSN to JSUCamel Send a message via Yahoo to JSUCamel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamyrlin
Brandon mentioned specifically that the entire letter from Moiraine was in the glossary. Maybe they are just trying to give fans more of these types of things...or maybe the small clues and such are hidden in the glossary and "in this book" is tongue in cheek?
Jordan has always done this. We get names of characters that should have no right to be named, like stablehands, innkeepers, soldiers and servants that we see for one or two pages, and then never see again. And based on my recent research and work, I can safely say there are a shit-ton of them. That's a technical term; you should look it up.

Then there are books, inns, roads, walls... things that are mentioned once and then never seen or heard from again.

The only thing new about this, I suppose, is the fact that some of these are listed in the glossary.

"Nice try, Jack!" - Robert Jordan (to Camel)
"Camel must be the coolest TLer ever, by now." -GLotD

A grilled cheese eaten more than five minutes later is just no good. -Crispin

Old 11-09-2009, 07:53 PM
Elder

Leanne is a jewel in the roughLeanne is a jewel in the roughLeanne is a jewel in the rough

It's funny that you mention the glossary. When the question came up from Brandon about some clue in the book and then the talk about something in books 4-6 that isn't discussed a lot, I went through the glossary to see if there was something there. OF course, nothing jumped out at me.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:01 PM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

perhaps all the letters of the book titles rearranged spells something out.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:09 PM
Hero of the Horn

JSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to JSUCamel Send a message via MSN to JSUCamel Send a message via Yahoo to JSUCamel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowbaneX
perhaps all the letters of the book titles rearranged spells something out.
either "I love the sound of a theory as it dies" or "LOL, get a life noobz, LOLZ! Regards, Jim"

"Nice try, Jack!" - Robert Jordan (to Camel)
"Camel must be the coolest TLer ever, by now." -GLotD

A grilled cheese eaten more than five minutes later is just no good. -Crispin

Old 11-09-2009, 08:12 PM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

I'm speaking to you from beyond the GRAAAAVE!
Old 11-09-2009, 08:12 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

If you play the audio book of tGS backwards, its says "Rand is Dead".

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 11-09-2009, 08:14 PM
Elder

Leanne is a jewel in the roughLeanne is a jewel in the roughLeanne is a jewel in the rough

I bought "Alcatraz vs. the Evil Librarians" for my son. Of course, I had to read it myself, you know, to approve it for him. Brandon mentions in it how mean authors are. Just think of RJ and Brandon thinking about all the fans out there picking apart everything in the book and every single word they say. Brandon even said to me at the signing, "Matt wants to pick apart every word I say." How much fun would it be for Brandon to throw this "small detail" at us and watch us squirm, frantically re-reading the series to find it? Brandon knows we are going to look at everything, so he inserts all sorts of "little details" that we have to inspect to see if maybe he is referencing that some how. Next, he should write a book "Alcatraz vs the Evil Authors".
Old 11-09-2009, 08:24 PM
Hero of the Horn

sounds only fair to me. Did you tell BS that you were a TL'er?
Old 11-09-2009, 08:36 PM
Lord of the Board

Tamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default ...wt

Quote:
Brandon even said to me at the signing, "Matt wants to pick apart every word I say."
Which signing? And who is this Matt guy?
Old 11-09-2009, 08:39 PM
Hero of the Horn

Some obsessed guy that obviously asks WAY too many questions.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:41 PM
Lord of the Board

Default What a freak

Asking an author questions! And lots of them! He probably posts them too, and records them if possible! Those Storm Leaders should do a better job protecting Brandon.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:49 PM
Elder

I told him I brought a recorder with me because Theoryland would not believe me otherwise. Friday at Philly. I failed though. Ran out of tape, and didn't get anything good. I haven't listened to all of it though.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:53 PM
Lord of the Board

Default Oh, that Matt...

Quote:
Theoryland would not believe me otherwise
I mean...well, a recording...I mean, it's certainly helpful around here...
Old 11-09-2009, 08:56 PM
Elder

Give me a break, I am knew at this whole questioning authors thing. I will listen to the tape and hopefully find something useful. I had to actually WORK and couldn't sit and listen to Brandon answer everyone's questions. I don't know how much I got on tape though.