art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > Theoryland Re-Read
User Name
Password

Old 05-30-2012, 06:34 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Two questions:

1. Why did the evil in Shadar Logoth get stronger between TEOTW and LOC?

2. Why can't Rand control his anger inside the Void any more at this point?
Old 05-30-2012, 07:12 AM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
The idea was to find something to help Rand, but they didn't think about him when searching.
Ah, I guess I'd assumed that having that in the back of their minds would have had some effect on the search. I guess I could claim that it probably did given your idea regarding the Bowl of Winds and Rand's oneness with the land.

Quote:
I've wondered about this before. Seems to imply that Aridhol was a bad egg long before Mordeth showed up. I wonder if RJ intended that.

Also...

Wat?
No idea on the second one, but perhaps Mordeth had actually shown up by the time the Ogier left, given how long Ogier take to do things.

Quote:
Two questions:

1. Something-something Mordeth-Fain.

2. The taint.

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known
Old 05-30-2012, 07:26 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Wat?
Once was the visit to Stedding Tsofu, when Loial met Erith. The other one I think I'll leave as an exercise for the reader.

Quote:
It had eaten and digested quite a lot of Trollocs in that period.
Padan Fain may also have had an influence.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:11 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

This has always been one of my favorite Mat bits:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOC 22, Heading South
Soil crunching underfoot warned him, and he spun swinging the spear with a snarl. Barely in time he stopped the slashing blade, as Olver screamed and fell flat on his back, staring wide-eyed at the spearpoint.

"What in the bloody Pit of Doom are you doing here?" Mat snapped.

"I... I... " The boy stopped to swallow. "They say fifty Aiel tried to kill you in your sleep, Lord Mat, but you killed them first, and I wanted to see if you were all right, and... Lord Edorion bought me some shoes. See?" He raised a shod foot.
Especially the last bit.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:28 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOC 23, To Understand a Message
"What should it matter a few Maidens died?" The look on his face was truly puzzled. "It was battle; soldiers die in battle. Al’Thor may be a farmer, but he has generals to fight his battles and explain matters. I doubt he even noticed."

"You really never have looked at these people. They have changed as much as the land, Sammael. Not just, the Aiel. In some ways, the rest have changed much more. Those soldiers were women, and to Rand al’Thor, that makes a difference."
A strange thing to change, going from a world with gender equality to a world where women hold the highest stations as Aes Sedai (and some as queens or Firsts or what have you). Perhaps they simply didn't live long enough with war to understand how vulnerable women were? Or something. But there are a lot of little details like this, things that don't make much sense.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:39 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Two questions:

1. Perhaps because Mordeth was freed and had access to fresh souls?

2. The taint.

As for the Stedding visit, perhaps its seepage from the LTT memories...

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 05-30-2012, 08:58 AM
Hero of the Horn

Somehow, I doubt Lews Therin only visited one stedding in all his four hundred years. But since you brought it up, there's one bit I just read a few chapters ago that is subtle enough to slip under the radar:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOC 17, The Wheel of a Life
"I see you, Havien Nurelle," Rand said gravely, and the boy blinked. Boy? Come to think on it, he might be no younger than Rand. That was a shock!
There was another one back in TSR I tweeted about:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSR 49, Cold Rocks Hold
None of the other men had done so, but he bowed to Lian; that was how he had been brought up.
Was not.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:05 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Somehow, I doubt Lews Therin only visited one stedding in all his four hundred years. But since you brought it up, there's one bit I just read a few chapters ago that is subtle enough to slip under the radar:
So do I...but its the only plausable explanation outside of a simple typo that I could come up with.

Quote:
Was not.
Well, LTT was brought up that way...

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 05-30-2012, 09:12 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Was not.
He lived in Caemlyn first, or somewhere like that.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:13 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
So do I...but its the only plausable explanation outside of a simple typo that I could come up with.
I thought maybe he had passed one on the way to Tear in TDR; we saw so little of him it's quite possible. But other than that, I can't think of anything.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:31 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
I thought maybe he had passed one on the way to Tear in TDR; we saw so little of him it's quite possible. But other than that, I can't think of anything.
That's a possibility at least. I tend to think its a typo to be honest...RJ just confused Perrin and Rand in his head when he wrote the line.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:33 AM
Hero of the Horn

Yeah, I assumed it probably was. He had it straight for the rest of the chapter, and even talked about Rand's visit to Tsofu. And made clear that he had only heard of the abandoned stedding from Perrin.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:18 AM
Hero of the Horn

Reading these early Sorilea chapters makes it easy to remember why no one believed she was a Darkfriend until after TGS, despite all the hints. The hints mostly come in later books. At first, she appears to be a very honorable Aiel, and even seems to have a sense of humor when she is not staring daggers at someone. We got more hints with Melindhra, mainly her comments to Mat about being in Rand's shadow, and glory and honor and all that, but Melindhra was not Sorilea, and even though she was a weaker character, she still had a serious internal battle because Far Dareis Mai was so important to her, and because ji'e'toh is a part of the Aiel. It's a competition, which is why I think Sorilea enjoys it. But also, playing the game to a T is what makes the other Wise Ones trust and respect her, and that puts them at her disposal when there is something crucial at stake, the same way she puts Cadsuane at her disposal for later use with the Water Oath and the Traveling weave. (Which doubly foreshadows her ultimate betrayal.)
Old 05-30-2012, 11:23 AM
Hero of the Horn

Yeah, my last reread made me 99% convinced she's a DF. Before that, I thought it was going to be Amys but Sorilea makes far more sense as Amys would have betrayed more due to her dreaming knowledge.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:32 AM
Hero of the Horn

As far as I can tell, there isn't even a hint that Amys is a Darkfriend.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:38 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
As far as I can tell, there isn't even a hint that Amys is a Darkfriend.
I agree. I thought she was simply because of the complete lack of any indicators (red herring in my mind at that time) and the fact that no high ranking Aiel had been outed as of yet. This was before all the Sorilea hints came out and before we were hammered with the Sorilea hints in TGS.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:53 PM
Hero of the Horn

This is starting to get a little annoying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOC 17, The Wheel of a Life
"Six days ago I killed a man," he began without preamble, "a treekiller, and I must know if I have toh to you, Rand al’Thor."
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOC 28, Letters
"Since I caused Sulin to do what she did, don’t I have toh toward her?"

Apparently it was possible to make a bigger fool of himself than he already had. Somehow Aviendha’s face grew redder still, and Jalani took a sudden interest in the carpet under her feet. Even Nandera looked a little chagrined at his ignorance. You could be told that you had toh, though that was insulting, or you could be reminded of it, but asking meant that you did not know.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:37 PM
Hero of the Horn

How dare Rand not know the ins and outs of the Aiel's convoluted honor system...because I'm sure that was top on his list of things to learn while in the Waste.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:03 PM
Elder

Weiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond repute

Burn my soul, its no surprise these black-eyed savages don't even understand their own code of honour.

Best they be hanged.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:13 PM
Youngling

Heinz will become famous soon enoughHeinz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
How dare Rand not know the ins and outs of the Aiel's convoluted honor system...because I'm sure that was top on his list of things to learn while in the Waste.
It was supposed to be.. can't help it a 20ish-year-old had other things on his mind while Avi was talking.