art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - Non Wot Discussion Boards > Archived: Non WoT Related Discussion 09/09 - 9/10
User Name
Password

Old 12-29-2009, 12:22 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Food/Recipe Thread...

~pokes TL with a stick~

Its pretty dead around here so its time for another food thread (as those always go over well).

I made Baked Ziti from scratch a couple days ago (and have had it 4 times since then as I made enough for 10).

Ingredients:

1 lb dry ziti
2 26 oz jars of pasta sauce (standard store size jars)
1 lb lean ground beef
1 sweet onion (I use a normal yellow one)
1.5 cups of sour cream
8 oz of shredded mozzarella
8 oz of shredded cheddar
fresh ground parmesan

Boil ziti in lighlty salted water till its al dente (8 min or so). I recommend adding some olive oil to the water to keep the pasta from sticking together.

Brown the ground beef. Chop the onion up and saute it with the ground beef till its all brown/soft. Add in both jars of pasta sauce and cook till its warm throughout (about 5-7 min)

Use a 9 x 13 casserole pan (I use a glass pyrex one). Lightly butter the bottom and sides of the pan.

Layer the ingredients in the following manner:

1/2 of the ziti on the bottom
cover with the shredded cheddar
cover cheddar with the sour cream
1/2 of the pasta sauce/ground beef mixture
remaining ziti
mozzarella cheese
remaining pasta sauce/ground beef mixture
grated parmesan over the top (as much or as little as you like).

Toss the entire thing in the oven at 350 until the cheese is melted (about 35 min)

You now have a ton of baked ziti. Its a super easy and fast recipe and it gives you lunch for hte week.

Enjoy.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot

Last edited by Davian93; 12-29-2009 at 12:25 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:26 PM
Hero of the Horn

Sinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Sinistrum

Picked this one up from an ex of mine.

Steam clams:

1 clove of garlic
1/2 stick of butter
chopped parsley (flavor to taste)
2 tomatos of medium size good for dicing (optional)
1/2 (negotiable) bottle white wine (pick your fav but I prefer claude dubois pinot grigio)
2 dozen live littleneck clams

Start by taking your butter, put it in a regular sized pan or steamer. Dice the tomatos, garlic, and parsley in dump it in there as well. Take about 1/4 to a 1/3 of the bottle of wine and add it at the same time. Let it simmer on medium heat until the butter melts, stirring occasionally. Dump your clams in, and add the remaining amount of wine you want to use while doing this. Let it all simmer, making sure to keep an eye on the clams. When they pop open, take them out and put them in a bowl. They won't all pop at the same time so like I said, keep an eye on it. When the final clam pops, take the remaining sauce and dump it over the clams and its ready to serve. If after awhile some of the clams don't pop, toss them. It either means they were dead to start or they are still alive, and either way you don't want to eat them.

People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. - River Tam
Old 12-29-2009, 01:49 PM
Hero of the Horn

JSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to JSUCamel Send a message via MSN to JSUCamel Send a message via Yahoo to JSUCamel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinistrum View Post
Picked this one up from an ex of mine.

Steam clams:
Giggity.

"Nice try, Jack!" - Robert Jordan (to Camel)
"Camel must be the coolest TLer ever, by now." -GLotD

A grilled cheese eaten more than five minutes later is just no good. -Crispin

Old 12-29-2009, 01:59 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSUCamel View Post
Giggity.
Chalmers: I thought we were having steamed clams.
Skinner: Oh, no, I said steamed hams. That's what I call hamburgers.
Chalmers: You call hamburgers steamed hams?
Skinner: Yes, it's a regional dialect.
Chalmers: Uh-huh. What region?
Skinner: Uhh... Upstate New York.
Chalmers: Really? Well, I'm from Utica, and I've never heard anyone use the phrase 'steamed hams.'
Skinner: Oh, not in Utica. No, it's an Albany expression.
Chalmers: I see. You know, these hamburgers are quite similar to the ones they have at Krusty Burger.
Skinner: Oh ho ho, no. Patented Skinner burgers. Old family recipe.
Chalmers: For steamed hams ...
Skinner: Yes ...
Chalmers: Yes, and you call them steamed hams despite the fact that they are obviously grilled.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 12-29-2009, 02:13 PM
Hero of the Horn

Marie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
2 26 oz jars of pasta sauce (standard store size jars)
This sounds good, except for the fact that I don't like the store-bought jars of pasta sauce, like Ragu and Prego-type things. Are there other ones that are better? I actually prefer making my own sauce, either with fresh tomatoes (when they're in season), or even good canned tomatoes (San Marzano, for example).

Anyway, I made asparagus potato soup the other day...

2 cups diced, peeled potatoes
1/2 lb. fresh asparagus, chopped
1/2 cup chopped onion
4 cups chicken stock
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup flour
1 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
dash pepper

Combine potatoes, asparagus, onion, and chicken stock in a large sauce pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, 15-30 minutes. Stir in the butter.

In a bowl, combine flour, cream, milk, salt, and pepper until smooth. Add to the vegetable mixture. Bring to a boil and stir for a few minutes until thickened.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:37 PM
Hero of the Horn

Anaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant future

I love risotto - or mushy rice with some sort of sauce and stuff mixed in.

1 onion
2 cloves of garlic
3 little stock cubes
salt
pepper
chilli flakes
double cream
1 cup of rice
oil
vegetables/meat of your choice

I cut the onion and garlic and cook them in oil until soft, then chuck the rice in the pan and lightly fry it.
Then I crumble the stock cubes into that and fry for another minute before dousing it with a cup of water.
leave to bubble. When water runs low, add your vegetables/(cooked) meat and seasoning, and then add more water.
Keep stirring + adding more water till rice is cooked, then add double cream and cook for another couple of minutes.
enjoy

I had some with leftover turkey, leek, mushrooms and broccoli earlier.

If you use raw meat, cook it with the onions.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:53 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Curie
This sounds good, except for the fact that I don't like the store-bought jars of pasta sauce, like Ragu and Prego-type things. Are there other ones that are better? I actually prefer making my own sauce, either with fresh tomatoes (when they're in season), or even good canned tomatoes (San Marzano, for example).
I completely agree. I don't care for straight store bought jars for most applications. I tend to use it as a base for a sauce and add all sorts of fresh ingredients. For something like this, I try to buy good store sauce but nothing ridiculously expensive as I'm adding herbs/spices to my own particular taste preferences. I dont like to buy the $6-10 a jar sauces either as I've tried them in the past and I can make a $2 jar taste better with 5 min of work on my part.

Buying a $2 jar of sauce and adding some wine, fresh mushrooms, onions, italian seasonings, etc is an easy way to get decent pasta sauce if you dont have the time to make it yourself.

But I agree, homemade sauce is the best...especially from fresh ingredients...bonus points if you use your own garden grown tomatoes for it.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:41 PM
Hero of the Horn

Sinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond repute

I usually just get Classico tomato basil, brown my own ground beef with some basil, oregano, garlic powder, rosemary, and parsley, and then saute my own olives and mushrooms in a decent olive oil. It makes for a pretty good sauce.

People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. - River Tam
Old 12-29-2009, 07:38 PM
Hero of the Horn

Hopper has a brilliant futureHopper has a brilliant futureHopper has a brilliant futureHopper has a brilliant futureHopper has a brilliant futureHopper has a brilliant futureHopper has a brilliant futureHopper has a brilliant futureHopper has a brilliant futureHopper has a brilliant futureHopper has a brilliant future

Hmm . . . . no recipes for grilled cheese or open faced clubs. I'm surprised.

Dapple's Alpha
Guardian Wolf to Zaela Sedai and Packmate to the 'taer clan.
Greeter Emeritus

Training younglings to Howl since 1998

Jordan: I have always thought that the small whimper of a theory as it dies is a beautiful sound.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:49 PM
Hero of the Horn

Well you can substitute the littleneck clams for bearded ones...

Old 12-30-2009, 04:17 PM
Youngling

wolframbohr2 is just really nicewolframbohr2 is just really nicewolframbohr2 is just really nicewolframbohr2 is just really nice

Yummy Desert

1. Open bottle of vodka
2. Poor into coffee cup
3. Close bottle of vodka
4. Drink

You can go crazy and add some olives if you want.

Greedo shot first.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:30 PM
Hero of the Horn

Crispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolframbohr2 View Post
Yummy Desert

1. Open bottle of vodka
2. Pour into coffee cup
3. Drink
4. Repeat

Fixed?
Old 12-30-2009, 05:00 PM
Hero of the Horn

JSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to JSUCamel Send a message via MSN to JSUCamel Send a message via Yahoo to JSUCamel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispin's Crispian View Post
Fixed?
If you like large tracts of dry, arid land, mostly composed of sand and other sediment, yes.

"Nice try, Jack!" - Robert Jordan (to Camel)
"Camel must be the coolest TLer ever, by now." -GLotD

A grilled cheese eaten more than five minutes later is just no good. -Crispin

Old 12-30-2009, 05:27 PM
Youngling

wolframbohr2 is just really nicewolframbohr2 is just really nicewolframbohr2 is just really nicewolframbohr2 is just really nice

Quote:
If you like large tracts of dry, arid land, mostly composed of sand and other sediment, yes.
*cough* Dry *cough*

Greedo shot first.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:38 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolframbohr2 View Post
Yummy Desert

1. Open bottle of vodka
2. Poor into coffee cup
3. Close bottle of vodka
4. Drink

Desert? Funny, I call that breakfast.

Old 12-30-2009, 05:44 PM
Hero of the Horn

Crispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Or it could be on the rocks, so to speak, like Antartica.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:01 PM
Youngling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispin's Crispian View Post
Or it could be on the rocks, so to speak, like Antartica.
Thats ok, but the icecubes get in the way of the EtOH.

Greedo shot first.