art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (1): rappalardoryanp,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - Non Wot Discussion Boards > Archived: Non WoT Related Discussion 09/09 - 9/10
User Name
Password

Old 12-30-2009, 07:19 AM
Elder

Daekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond repute
Default A new(b) website

Hey guys,
happy new year and all that.
I know this is a bit of a cheat putting it here but this seems to get way more traffic than the general wot discussion pages!

Anyway, my best mate, Ciaran, whom i've known since my first day of primary school(28 years ago) has finally started to read WoT.

I know, what kept him?! Well, it probably stems from our LotR bet when we were ten but thats a different story altogether.

So the thing is, he LOVES it. The problem is, and he's reading tGH at the minute, that he constantly asks questions. Now, I'm not in the top 100 most knowledgeable WoT people on this site but for a beginner, I'm a walking, talking, opinionated spoiler (without quotes, of course, eh Terez! )

So I was wondering if any of you guys know a website where a new guy could go and spout out his crazy theories?

He is quite good though- he straightaway rang to ask me if Verin is black. I said no,

He just got carried away a bit this time, probably as a result of his marriage-gonzothegreat

Son of Nazbaque, Lord of Fire
Old 12-30-2009, 07:27 AM
Hero of the Horn

Anaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekyras View Post
He is quite good though- he straightaway rang to ask me if Verin is black. I said no,
I remeber asking the same thing of the guy who got me into WoT after reading tGH. He also said no. lol. but that was years ago.

I wouldn't mind having him hear and reading his crazy theories, the problem is that wherever he goes, he's going to come across people who have read the entire series and will probably find it difficult not to respond accordingly.

I suggest you just switch off the walking, talking, opinionated spoiler part of you and just listen, nod and smile at him until he's finished the series. It's probably the best way.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:35 AM
Hero of the Horn

Sarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to behold

You can find some old versions of the WOTFAQ here.
The oldest goes up to the Fires of Heaven, so don't let him go there before reading that!

the Grey Viper, the Lord of Forsaken Roads, the Pink Sunset
Old 12-30-2009, 07:59 AM
Ancient

Oatman is just really niceOatman is just really niceOatman is just really niceOatman is just really niceOatman is just really niceOatman is just really nice

RAFO

"From the Oatman Prophecies."

Writer of the Breakfast Prophecies for the Lord of the Morning

RS is an idiot.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:30 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

RAFO?
Old 12-30-2009, 09:46 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Dragonmount

They get about 30 people just like him every week. He'll fit right in there. Once he's finished the books and gotten some feedback over there he should graduate to Theoryland.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 12-30-2009, 09:54 AM
Hero of the Horn

Sarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to behold

DM might work, but he'd have to watch out for spoilers.
Even thread titles can be a spoiler!

Old 12-30-2009, 11:08 AM
Elder

Daekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond repute
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarevok View Post
DM might work, but he'd have to watch out for spoilers.
Even thread titles can be a spoiler!
Thats what i'm worried about. It would be horrible to think of certain things being spoiled for him- Moiraine being the most obvious example...or how important Fain becomes...or even Ingtar since he's nearly there...

I can RAFO, but that only goes so far. I remember my first time on the web and how it added immensely to the experience. Ah well, i'll just recommend he'll stay off til fires of heaven. thanks Sarevok and Davian.

One funny thing, he absolutely hates Mat and Nynaeve. I think at least one of those will change over the next book or so....

He just got carried away a bit this time, probably as a result of his marriage-gonzothegreat

Old 12-30-2009, 12:26 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

****One funny thing, he absolutely hates Mat and Nynaeve. I think at least one of those will change over the next book or so..****

Funny, they're my two favorite characters.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 12-30-2009, 08:45 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekyras View Post
Thats what i'm worried about. It would be horrible to think of certain things being spoiled for him- Moiraine being the most obvious example...or how important Fain becomes...or even Ingtar since he's nearly there...

I can RAFO, but that only goes so far. I remember my first time on the web and how it added immensely to the experience. Ah well, i'll just recommend he'll stay off til fires of heaven. thanks Sarevok and Davian.

One funny thing, he absolutely hates Mat and Nynaeve. I think at least one of those will change over the next book or so....
It's easy to hate Mat before The Dragon Reborn, and Nynaeve.....some people get over it after a few books, some don't.

I have wondered sometimes if we should set up a different forum for each book, like Malazan does, but I just can't them getting much action.

I have a friend who started reading WoT some time in the last year and he's not done yet. Last I checked he was on Crossroads. But we have had several conversations about the books, and even with him only having a few books left, it was hard to keep from spoiling him. He got mad when I told him that Lanfear=Cyndane, but he should have already known that.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:13 PM
Hero of the Horn

JSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to JSUCamel Send a message via MSN to JSUCamel Send a message via Yahoo to JSUCamel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
I have a friend who started reading WoT some time in the last year and he's not done yet. Last I checked he was on Crossroads. But we have had several conversations about the books, and even with him only having a few books left, it was hard to keep from spoiling him. He got mad when I told him that Lanfear=Cyndane, but he should have already known that.
This is especially hard, because we all know people who have read at least a few books, but haven't put two and two together yet, and maybe they need another book or three before they get hit over the head enough times to make the connection that Cyndane=Lanfear (or whatever connection they're not making). Sometimes we "know" things because we've spent a lot of time and effort deducing things or because of interviews that the average reader has not read, and no matter how many times you read the book, it's never going to come out and say who Mesaana really is.

It's really hard to not spoil things, especially when some inferences are so obvious to us (but not spelled out on the page) that we think everyone picks up that Lanfear = Cyndane, when the fact of the matter is that it may take three or four scenes with Cyndane before THEY make the connection.

"Nice try, Jack!" - Robert Jordan (to Camel)
"Camel must be the coolest TLer ever, by now." -GLotD

A grilled cheese eaten more than five minutes later is just no good. -Crispin

Old 12-30-2009, 09:57 PM
Youngling

wolframbohr2 is just really nicewolframbohr2 is just really nicewolframbohr2 is just really nicewolframbohr2 is just really nice

It is also one of the beauties of this series. That when you do make the connection and reread its like a new series. You start putting more and more together because you know something about someone or something.

It is also amazing to me that one man was able to have it all there and do the hints that don't hit us over the head. It would drive me nuts to write a hint in one book and not have it come out for several books later. Amazing, simply amazing.

Greedo shot first.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:06 AM
Elder

Orc is a glorious beacon of lightOrc is a glorious beacon of lightOrc is a glorious beacon of lightOrc is a glorious beacon of lightOrc is a glorious beacon of lightOrc is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSUCamel View Post
It's really hard to not spoil things, especially when some inferences are so obvious to us (but not spelled out on the page) that we think everyone picks up that Lanfear = Cyndane, when the fact of the matter is that it may take three or four scenes with Cyndane before THEY make the connection.
Lanfear is Cyndane? Huh. I never made the connection. I read the books, but I didn't want to go analyzing them intently, so I just assumed she was a new character dredged up from somewhere. Unless this stuff was spelled out on the page (and probably sometimes if it was) I would have missed it.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:04 AM
Hero of the Horn

JSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to JSUCamel Send a message via MSN to JSUCamel Send a message via Yahoo to JSUCamel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orc View Post
Lanfear is Cyndane? Huh. I never made the connection. I read the books, but I didn't want to go analyzing them intently, so I just assumed she was a new character dredged up from somewhere. Unless this stuff was spelled out on the page (and probably sometimes if it was) I would have missed it.
It's not EXACTLY spelled out on the page, but there are a lot of strong hints, and some of the Forsaken speculate.. and now that I think about it, it may be flat out confirmed in either Knife of Dreams or Gathering Storm.. hmm... i don't recall.

"Nice try, Jack!" - Robert Jordan (to Camel)
"Camel must be the coolest TLer ever, by now." -GLotD

A grilled cheese eaten more than five minutes later is just no good. -Crispin

Old 12-31-2009, 03:29 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSUCamel View Post
It's not EXACTLY spelled out on the page, but there are a lot of strong hints, and some of the Forsaken speculate.. and now that I think about it, it may be flat out confirmed in either Knife of Dreams or Gathering Storm.. hmm... i don't recall.
As I recall, one of the Forsaken remarks somewhere "...when she was Lanfear...".
Also, in one of the first scenes with Cyndane, she remarks on seeing someone who is stronger in the Power than she is, and thinks something along the lines of "But that can't be, I'm the strongest".

Old 12-31-2009, 06:18 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

She also thinks in that scene about how Lews Therin scorned her, and about how she was held by the Aelfinn and the Eelfinn. But I'm sure that happens to everybody.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:26 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps Cyndane is Berelain?
Old 12-31-2009, 06:32 AM
Hero of the Horn

I could have sworn Berelain was Rhuarc.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:41 AM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
I could have sworn Berelain was Rhuarc.
Feigns ignorance.
But terez, they are in the same scene together in the shadow rising!
And they have that curious "spanking" relationship going no.
Yes, the more you mention it the more i'm beginning to think there IS something going on...some SMALL DETAIL i may have missed...