art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (1): abackpackthe,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - Non Wot Discussion Boards > Archived: Non WoT Related Discussion 09/09 - 9/10
User Name
Password

Old 01-03-2010, 07:39 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Which decade is it?

It's been a while since we've done this, and I don't feel like waiting until it is time for another "when does the century change". So I'll throw down the gauntlet, and declare that we are now in the twenty-tens, and no longer in the twenty-zeros. Anyone want to dispute this?
Old 01-03-2010, 07:42 AM
Ancient

Oatman is just really niceOatman is just really niceOatman is just really niceOatman is just really niceOatman is just really niceOatman is just really nice

Clearly we are in the Teenies.

"From the Oatman Prophecies."

Writer of the Breakfast Prophecies for the Lord of the Morning

RS is an idiot.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:25 AM
Elder

Daekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatman View Post
Clearly we are in the Teenies.
I can think of 3 problems with that.
There problems all begin with 20 and end in -10,-11 and-12. They aren't teens on this side of the world....

He just got carried away a bit this time, probably as a result of his marriage-gonzothegreat

Son of Nazbaque, Lord of Fire
Old 01-03-2010, 05:28 PM
Youngling

wolframbohr2 is just really nicewolframbohr2 is just really nicewolframbohr2 is just really nicewolframbohr2 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
It's been a while since we've done this, and I don't feel like waiting until it is time for another "when does the century change". So I'll throw down the gauntlet, and declare that we are now in the twenty-tens, and no longer in the twenty-zeros. Anyone want to dispute this?
Yes, the new decade does no begin until Jan 1, 2011. Just like the 21 centurey begin on Jan 1, 2001, NOT Jan 1, 2000.

Greedo shot first.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:33 PM
Hero of the Horn

Jokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Jokeslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolframbohr2 View Post
Yes, the new decade does no begin until Jan 1, 2011. Just like the 21 centurey begin on Jan 1, 2001, NOT Jan 1, 2000.
And this is true because?
Old 01-03-2010, 05:36 PM
Hero of the Horn

JSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to JSUCamel Send a message via MSN to JSUCamel Send a message via Yahoo to JSUCamel

Quote:
Well, that's not what he's saying. He's proposing that we call the next ten years, starting this year, something like the "twenty-tens". For instance, 20 is not a "teen". 30 is not part of the "twenties", even though 2030 would be part of the 2021-2031 decade.

Gonzo is proposing that we group this current 10-year block into the Twenty Teens (or something).

"Nice try, Jack!" - Robert Jordan (to Camel)
"Camel must be the coolest TLer ever, by now." -GLotD

A grilled cheese eaten more than five minutes later is just no good. -Crispin

Old 01-03-2010, 06:00 PM
Hero of the Horn

JSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to JSUCamel Send a message via MSN to JSUCamel Send a message via Yahoo to JSUCamel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokeslayer View Post
Because this isn't math. In real life, we start counting from 1, not from 0. There was no "Year 0". It went from 1 BC to 1 AD. Therefore, 1000 years from year 1 is 1001.

Old 01-03-2010, 06:05 PM
Youngling

wolframbohr2 is just really nicewolframbohr2 is just really nicewolframbohr2 is just really nicewolframbohr2 is just really nice

Quote:
There is no year 0. The the first decade was 1-10, the second 11-20 and so forth up till today.

For naming the decade, HD works, or you can call it bacon. It is not going to matter in 1082 days, no one will be around.

Greedo shot first.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:11 PM
Hero of the Horn

Frenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Frenzy Send a message via Yahoo to Frenzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSUCamel View Post
Gonzo is proposing that we group this current 10-year block into the Twenty Teens (or something).
Well, 100 years ago it was the nineteen tens. Why not the twenty tens?

"How the hell do you Godwin a thread with CUCUMBERS!!?" -- Tru

"I love cucumber prawn... " -- Ivhon

"Have to catch me first. Scared shitless always outruns mad as hell." -- Sinistrum

"Some days I'm happy Frenzy doesn't live next door." -- Tamyrlin

"So Frenzy is a scientist then?" -- Davian
"Well duh. An Evil scientist. " -- Khoram
Old 01-03-2010, 10:20 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

What did we call the past decade? The naughties?
Old 01-03-2010, 10:57 PM
Youngling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
I call the previous decade HC

Greedo shot first.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:02 PM
Ancient

Kurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
Noughties, yeah.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:09 AM
Hero of the Horn

Frenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Frenzy Send a message via Yahoo to Frenzy

yes, very very naughty.

"How the hell do you Godwin a thread with CUCUMBERS!!?" -- Tru

"I love cucumber prawn... " -- Ivhon

"Have to catch me first. Scared shitless always outruns mad as hell." -- Sinistrum

"Some days I'm happy Frenzy doesn't live next door." -- Tamyrlin

"So Frenzy is a scientist then?" -- Davian
"Well duh. An Evil scientist. " -- Khoram
Old 01-04-2010, 03:24 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
There is no year 0. The the first decade was 1-10, the second 11-20 and so forth up till today.
But there was no year 1, 2 or 3 either.
According to Wikipedia*, the AD system was devised 525, which means that there wasn't even a year 500 until after that date had long passed.

And, if you look at it in another way, by considering ages and birth days, then the first decade of a human's life is from birth up to but not including the tenth birthday. So if a human being is twenty, then she is in her third decade.

The whole "there was no year zero" business is just the result of the ignorance of a medieval monk. I see no reason to submit to such a standard of ignorance. We know better, and we should act that way.

* Why the heck does my browser's dictionary question the writing of Wikipedia?
Old 01-04-2010, 08:11 AM
Hero of the Horn

Jokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Jokeslayer

Quote:
Because this isn't math. In real life, we start counting from 1, not from 0. There was no "Year 0". It went from 1 BC to 1 AD. Therefore, 1000 years from year 1 is 1001.
Quote:

For naming the decade, HD works, or you can call it bacon. It is not going to matter in 1082 days, no one will be around.
But why is any of this important? A decade is just a span of ten years, and we only use them to refer to groups of years like the sixties or whatever to make things easier for ourselves. It's just a convenience, and the most convenient method for breaking them up is to have all the years of the form aaxy be the same decade. That and nobody refers to decades in order from zero anyway.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:22 AM
Hero of the Horn

Crispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
But why is any of this important? A decade is just a span of ten years, and we only use them to refer to groups of years like the sixties or whatever to make things easier for ourselves. It's just a convenience, and the most convenient method for breaking them up is to have all the years of the form aaxy be the same decade. That and nobody refers to decades in order from zero anyway.
This is the main point. In the "Decade" thread earlier, I said I didn't want to look back and do a review because the decade wasn't over yet. But it just depends on what you mean by that.

2010 is not the first year of the second decade of the 21st Century. However, 2010 is the first year of the decades with double-digits.

Looking back 50 years from now, will we call 2010 part of the zeros, or the 10s?
Old 01-04-2010, 11:25 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispin's Crispian View Post
Looking back 50 years from now, will we call 2010 part of the zeros, or the 10s?
Based a couple of centuries of historical evidence, I'm willing to predict that we will quarrel about it.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:45 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Based a couple of centuries of historical evidence, I'm willing to predict that we will quarrel about it.
Will not.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:50 PM
Hero of the Horn

jason wolfbrother has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to jason wolfbrother Send a message via MSN to jason wolfbrother Send a message via Yahoo to jason wolfbrother

Myself I call it the start of the tens, not the end of the naughties (although I like that title).

I was born in 1980. I'm a child of the 80's. I don't consider myself a child of the 70's.

Even if mathematically speaking 1980 is the last year of the 70's, I prefer to be a part of the 80's

Wash:"Things are about to get interesting"
Mal:"Define interesting..."
Wash:"Oh God! Oh God! We're all gonna die!?"

"If you are not living life on the edge, you are taking up too much space"
Old 01-06-2010, 08:54 AM
Ancient

lurk has a spectacular aura aboutlurk has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to lurk

Quote:
Will not.
I disagree

"a fox knows many tricks, a hedgehog knows a single good one" by archilochus

Hodie mihi cras tibi (roman epitaph) meaning: today it is me, tomorrow it is you