art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Book Tour: The Gathering Storm
User Name
Password

Old 11-05-2009, 10:00 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixPax
May so, Terez, however why is Brandon relying on the eWoT for evidence and to help see the context of the story when he has the extensive original notes of RJ, not to mention RJ's assistants??
What are you talking about?

Key point is, Asmodean is not coming back.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:35 PM
Hero of the Horn

Belazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Belazamon

Quote:
To @Bela, nice deductive proof in another thread about why Asmodean should not coming back.
Does that mean I convinced you?

No one cares, no one sympathizes
You just stand around and play synthesizers
Old 11-05-2009, 11:40 PM
Elder

FelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belazamon
Yes, I found much favor your logic proof.

Whereas, I found Brandon's SLC Q&A interview example on the vague side to say the least. No satisfaction.

Bela > BS!

For more see, @TinkerPride at Twitter.com
Old 11-05-2009, 11:45 PM
Elder

FelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez
What are you talking about?
The point being Brandon seems to of relied on the eWoT, bizarrely enough. I'd of thought the original creator of the series would of had superior information resources about the storyline. Why would Brandon even need to use the eWoT?

Old 11-05-2009, 11:50 PM
Hero of the Horn

Belazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Belazamon

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belazamon
Yes, I found much favor your logic proof.
DAMMIT PEOPLE, EVERYBODY LOOK AT THIS!

No one cares, no one sympathizes
You just stand around and play synthesizers
Old 11-06-2009, 11:21 AM
Lord of the Board

Tamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tamyrlin
Default I don't think he was attempting to be exact

I think he was trying to say, no, Graendal could not have been balefired back far enough for this discussion to have merit.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:22 AM
Lord of the Board

Tamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tamyrlin
Default Felix

What do you mean about Brandon relying on eWot?
Old 11-06-2009, 11:36 AM
Elder

One Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to all

Encyclopedia WoT maybe.

Or maybe he meant ewoks. I have found them to be very creative little furry creatures.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:37 AM
Hero of the Horn

JSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to JSUCamel Send a message via MSN to JSUCamel Send a message via Yahoo to JSUCamel

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Armed Gimp
Encyclopedia WoT maybe.

Or maybe he meant ewoks. I have found them to be very creative little furry creatures.
Pretty sure we know what eWoT is. The question is why does Felix think Brandon relies on it?

On that note, I do find Ewoks to be underrated creatures. They're basically the laughingstock of the Far Far Away galaxy, but I mean... they kicked some serious Empire ass.

"Nice try, Jack!" - Robert Jordan (to Camel)
"Camel must be the coolest TLer ever, by now." -GLotD

A grilled cheese eaten more than five minutes later is just no good. -Crispin

Last edited by JSUCamel; 11-06-2009 at 11:41 AM.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:06 PM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
The point being Brandon seems to of relied on the eWoT, bizarrely enough. I'd of thought the original creator of the series would of had superior information resources about the storyline. Why would Brandon even need to use the eWoT?
At a guess, because it's faster than calling Atlanta for every minor question?

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:18 PM
Hero of the Horn

JSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to JSUCamel Send a message via MSN to JSUCamel Send a message via Yahoo to JSUCamel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Harold
At a guess, because it's faster than calling Atlanta for every minor question?
Why would he call Atlanta? Don't Marie and Alan live in Charleston? And on top of that, I'm sure Brandon has his own copies of all of the notes and things that Marie and Alan and RJ made over the years.

I don't know for sure, as I really didn't pay attention to this aspect of the writing process, but I had thought that Jason, et al, were brought in once the drafts were complete and needed checking for continuity and accuracy.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:35 PM
Elder

Tree Brother is a jewel in the roughTree Brother is a jewel in the roughTree Brother is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamyrlin
What do you mean about Brandon relying on eWot?
I thought he mentioned something like that at the signing you recorded.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:14 PM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSUCamel
Why would he call Atlanta? Don't Marie and Alan live in Charleston?
Oops, had Sportcenter on in the background and typed the wrong city.

Still, a quick click or two is quicker than calling long distance and waiting for Maria and Alan to look it up.

I get the impression that he does NOT have copies of all of RJ's references and would still need to consult with Maria even if he did -- hence his new acronym, "MAFO."

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:49 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Harold
Oops, had Sportcenter on in the background and typed the wrong city.

Still, a quick click or two is quicker than calling long distance and waiting for Maria and Alan to look it up.
Quote:
I get the impression that he does NOT have copies of all of RJ's references and would still need to consult with Maria even if he did -- hence his new acronym, "MAFO."
Understandable, though I would argue that he says MAFO when he's on tour and doesn't exactly carry around a truckload of notes.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:07 PM
Hero of the Horn

Marie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Brandon did say at the SLC signing that he uses Encyclopaedia WoT. I don't see that as bizarre at all I can imagine it being a useful resource even if he has all the notes and electronic versions of the books and all. I just hope that he knows that there are some errors in it. At any rate, I think it's a matter of how the Encyclopaedia is organized and the ease with which one can obtain information about specific characters. Of course he also relies on Charleston. But the Encyclopaedia WoT guy gave him a copy on CD so he can use it even when he doesn't have internet access. Here are the comments that BS made about it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BS
SLC Signing Report 11/2/09 06:31 PM

staring at about 06:00

I do use the internet fan resources quite a lot. The Encylcopaedia WoT has been extremely useful. This is by a guy named Bob Klutz, who bless his heart, he went through and referenced every time any character appears in any scene, and gives a chapter number and what they did. And you can look them up by their name. Yes. And they're linked. It's all linked, and so I can say, okay, I need to know every scene that Alviarin has been in and what she did in all these scenes, so I can go look them up and see how she talks. And see what was happening around her. I can go click on "Alviarin" and I can go and read in quick everything she's done in the entire series sentence by sentence. I can go click through to those chapters, find those chapters in my electronic copies of the books, look for her dialogue tags, read through how she sounds, and these sorts of things. It's amazingly helpful. So yeah, you're just in awe that Bob did this. I think he's a little shocked he did, too. He actually sent me a copy on CD so I could upload it to my computer, so I don't have to even be connected to the internet to do all this. So, it's amazing.
And then there are some nice comments about Theoryland right after this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BS
SLC Signing Report 11/2/09 06:31 PM

Give a shout out to Mat. Theoryland's been very helpful to see what people are interested in, and what they're curious about, and what they're guessing. Because I know the answers, 'cause they're in the outline that Robert Jordan gave. And it's nice to know what people are really curious about so I can make sure I'm not missing any targets, so to speak. If there are things that a lot of people are talking about, then that can remind me, oh wait a minute, I need to find that in the notes, okay, here's what Robert Jordan said, and then I can include it, and things like that. So, you guys are a lot of help when you spend time doing all this stuff. It actually is...I'm secretly lurking and using all the stuff you're writing.
lol...
Old 11-07-2009, 12:41 AM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Curie 7
Brandon did say at the SLC signing that he uses Encyclopaedia WoT. I don't see that as bizarre at all – I can imagine it being a useful resource even if he has all the notes and electronic versions of the books and all. I just hope that he knows that there are some errors in it.
Errors alone are the reason, why I think its bizarre Brandon relied on the eWoT webpage as a reference of characters, geography, events, organizations et la.

Why not rely the resources RJ created alone? Since he did the outlining of the series in advance. I assume that's partially why RJ employed 2 assistants among other reasons, to help organization things related to the series. Did Alan or Maria not create something superior to eWoT for RJ's private use?

Maybe I'm incorrect and RJ lacked the organizational resources of the written story that the eWoT has?

Quote:
But the Encyclopaedia WoT guy gave him a copy on CD so he can use it even when he doesn't have internet access. Here are the comments that BS made about it:
Brandon could of downloaded a copy of the eWoT resource easily, as it's already available online for free. That was one of the first things I did, after I learned it was available: download a local copy.

Quote:
Give a shout out to Mat. Theoryland's been very helpful to see what people are interested in, and what they're curious about, and what they're guessing. Because I know the answers, 'cause they're in the outline that Robert Jordan gave. And it's nice to know what people are really curious about so I can make sure I'm not missing any targets, so to speak. If there are things that a lot of people are talking about, then that can remind me, oh wait a minute, I need to find that in the notes, okay, here's what Robert Jordan said, and then I can include it, and things like that. So, you guys are a lot of help when you spend time doing all this stuff. It actually is...I'm secretly lurking and using all the stuff you're writing.
Yes, I too did notice Brandon did a good job with complex prior relationship between Aludra and Mat in tGS; which I too distinctly recall referring to a while back at Theoryland forums. Aludra, Mat and Tuon --> one giant uncertain love triangle.

However, I now wish I'd of spoken up more about he different personalities expressed by the various Aes Sedai Sitters; so Brandon could of done a better job rounding their characters out more fully. Few of the loyalist Sitters seemed, as I recalled they should of been in tGS book.

Last edited by FelixPax; 11-07-2009 at 12:48 AM.