art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7652

Logged In (1): aldoarle,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Book Tour: The Gathering Storm
User Name
Password

Old 10-30-2009, 03:53 PM
Lord of the Board

Tamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tamyrlin
Default One I meant to ask a long time ago

A pet speculation on my part: Did Ishamael help establish the Aes Sedai three oaths?
Old 10-30-2009, 04:04 PM
Youngling

Kingoftonga86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question

I think a good question to ask is: How did Cadsuane know that Tam was with Perrin? It's like there was a missing scene somewhere in the book.

Sulin was with Perrin at the beginning of the book, and halfway through she shows up with Rand and Co. This is the same chapter (Chapter 37) in which Cadsuane suggests that Nynaeve find Perrin. So we can assume that Sulin filled the Wise Ones in as to what was going on. But how did Sulin get back to Rand and Co. to begin with?
Old 10-31-2009, 11:49 AM
Lord of the Board

Tamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dragonmount Link - Where they are posting Questions they get answered.

Here is Dragonmount's link they recently posted for any questions and answers they get at a signing. Let's post our own in our thread here, so people don't have to go digging for them if they are looking.

http://forums.dragonmount.com/index....c,49575.0.html
Old 10-31-2009, 12:46 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamyrlin
A pet speculation on my part: Did Ishamael help establish the Aes Sedai three oaths?
My guess would be YES, with his influence through the Black Ajah. It totally seems like an Ishy plot. Please ask that question even though its likely a RAFO or a BS "I have no idea, I'd have to ask Charleston" (IHNIIHTAC)

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 10-31-2009, 01:28 PM
Lord of the Board

Default SLC Signing

I'm sure I'll get some time to ask Brandon TGS questions, assuming everyone at the Dinner has read the book...so...time to pick the top questions.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:45 PM
Elder

greatwolf will become famous soon enoughgreatwolf will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixPax
Graendal did a large amount of harm within greater Arad Doman. So it's within reason they can notice they effects. Besides Rand did pull in a huge amount of Saidin to destroy that fortress, probably close to what he did at the Cleansing of the Taint.

I do not recall any proof that this claim is true, though. However, I do remember evidence of the size of the balefire used impacts the depth into the Pattern is destroyed. The greater the Balefire size, the greater the depth backwards in time destroyed.
IIRC, the effects(removing back in time) of BF depend on the channeler's strength and not the size of the weave used in BF. There's a quote by Moiraine in FoH to that effect i think. I'll try get it tonight if I'm not too tired. Its not a very certain thing though.

BFing a whole city means taking a lot of threads out of the pattern. That seems to be the reason why the pattern unravels to me rather than time BFed backwards. But I haven't really thought about this.

Then again we're not certain if there are limits to the pattern's ability to compensate for the BF event. We'll assume there is, since the aol AS thought the pattern was unravelling.

I guesss BS will probably be able to tell us at least if the pattern has limits in compensating for BF. I mean if the pattern can remove actions done, say ten years past from the pattern and still remain intact.

Maybe.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:58 PM
Hero of the Horn

jason wolfbrother has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to jason wolfbrother Send a message via MSN to jason wolfbrother Send a message via Yahoo to jason wolfbrother

I think this is the quote you were thinking of
Quote:
TITLE: Fires of Heaven
CHAPTER: 6 - Gateways
"Sometimes it is necessary to do that which is forbidden." If she was flustered, it did not show in her voice. "When anything is destroyed with balefire, it ceases to exist before the moment of its destruction, like a thread that burns away from where the flame touched it. The greater the power of the balefire, the further back in time it ceases to exist. The strongest I can manage will remove only a few seconds from the Pattern. You are much stronger. Very much so."

Wash:"Things are about to get interesting"
Mal:"Define interesting..."
Wash:"Oh God! Oh God! We're all gonna die!?"

"If you are not living life on the edge, you are taking up too much space"
Old 11-01-2009, 07:50 AM
Elder

greatwolf will become famous soon enoughgreatwolf will become famous soon enough

Yup. Tanx.

Slightly different than I remebered so its strength entirerly in Moiraine's pov.

Speaking of strength, I think BS might tell us the strength of a few of the more prominent characters especially the male forsaken and Rand.
Is Rand as strong as a man can be now and has he stopped gaining? Is the Dragon always the strongest man of the age?

And that time question if he doesn't RAFO it. Is it possible to time travel with the OP?
Old 11-01-2009, 09:10 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Wasn't Ishamael LTT's equal in OP Strength?

Overall, it would make sense that they were completely equal.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 11-01-2009, 08:34 PM
Elder

Ishy was said to be next to the Dragon in the aol but does that mean he and Logain are at par? And who's next? Among the forsaken, I got the impressiom that aginor was next:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWB
AGINOR

The second most powerful man, known by the Forsaken name Aginor, came close to rivaling Lews Therin and Ishamael in strength. Before he turned to the dark, he was Ishar Morrad Chuain, one of the foremost biological scientists of the Age of Legends.
While it could be argued that Lanfear might be stronger, I personally think this is right. But his dealings with other forsaken does not lend any weight to him being next to Ishy.

And that's just one example. While strength rating doesn't mean all that much in a duel (skill/angreal/links/tricks/amulets...) it would still be nice for speculation before the end of the series.

Also

Quote:
Originally Posted by EotW
ch. 52
"I suffered more injury to my pride than anything else," the Aes Sedai said irritably, plucking at her
cloak blanket. She looked as if she had been a long time ill, or hard used, but despite the dark circles under them
her eyes were sharp and full of power. "Aginor was surprised and angry that I held him as long as I did, but
fortunately, he had no time to spare for me. I am surprised myself that I held him so long. In the Age of
Legends, Aginor was close behind the Kinslayer and Ishamael in power."

Last edited by greatwolf; 11-01-2009 at 08:39 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:06 PM
Hero of the Horn

Isabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Isabel

Tam: In the case if Brandon answers anything about LTT, please ask him more questions.

Like:
-Did Rand had any control about the voice?
-Why was it gone in TAR?
-Is it the authentic voice?
-How did the voice happen? Like taint or construct?

If I am correct, you have a signing / tonight, tam?
'Rand al'Thor, Nynaeve shrieked, that is the most outrageous thing I ever heard out of your mouth. The very idea of telling three women you love them! You are worse than a lecher. You apologize right now!'

Isabel sedai of the Green Ajah, Amyrlin of the Official Nynaeve Fanclub, first sister to Gennie Sedai of the Green Ajah, bonded to Camel, Wolf Gaidin, Jachthond and ghostrider.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:41 PM
Lord of the Board

Default Questions I plan to ask at Dinner

Some of the storm leaders have not read or finished the book, so I plan to gear my questions around balefire calculations and finns (and their treaties).

Other thoughts for good but non spoiler questions?

I figure I can ask if Jordan left a Balefire calculation between time and power. And follow ups regarding the power amplification of the CK.

Additionally, I figure I can ask about the treaties with the Foxes and the Snakes, if and how they differ.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:41 PM
Elder

Tree Brother is a jewel in the roughTree Brother is a jewel in the roughTree Brother is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamyrlin
I figure I can ask if Jordan left a Balefire calculation between time and power. And follow ups regarding the power amplification of the CK.
Traveling with the TP is different from doing so with the OP. Is balefire different as well when using the TP?

Do the *finns care whether the DO "wins" or not?

Cadsuane makes the point that if the DO wins, there is no future to read. That is fortellings, Min's readings, etc will not come to pass. I suppose the same would be true regarding the *finn's answers.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:32 PM
Elder

Tree Brother is a jewel in the roughTree Brother is a jewel in the roughTree Brother is a jewel in the rough

Another one (may be RAFO though)

Are the dark prophecies true prophecies?

Book 12 connection: I believe Verin's writings include all the dark prophecies she could dig up.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:04 PM
Youngling

Nelal Hurcran is a jewel in the roughNelal Hurcran is a jewel in the roughNelal Hurcran is a jewel in the roughNelal Hurcran is a jewel in the rough

Here's a couple. Most likely to be RAFO'ed.

- It seems that Rand's "Cleansing" on Dragonmount burned a lot of the darkness out of him that we have been seeing since book 3. Does this mean that his wounds will start to heal now?

- (Two Parter) We know that the Karaethon Cycle and the Essanik Cycle are different. Is that because there were different contributors to each, or some other reason (like tampering by Ishy)? Which is more correct?
Old 11-02-2009, 11:36 PM
Elder

jana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond repute

sorry for flooding you live :P
Old 11-02-2009, 11:53 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Could you clarify the 'gauntlet' thing? The detail was introduced in books 4-6? The detail has been present in books since? The detail will come to light in Towers of Midnight?

I'm not sure if Brandon was vague on these things, or just the person who paraphrased the question/answer.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:45 PM
Hero of the Horn

Isabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Isabel

So who is the next person going to a signing?
'Rand al'Thor, Nynaeve shrieked, that is the most outrageous thing I ever heard out of your mouth. The very idea of telling three women you love them! You are worse than a lecher. You apologize right now!'

Isabel sedai of the Green Ajah, Amyrlin of the Official Nynaeve Fanclub, first sister to Gennie Sedai of the Green Ajah, bonded to Camel, Wolf Gaidin, Jachthond and ghostrider.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:59 PM
Ancient

Neilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93
My guess would be YES, with his influence through the Black Ajah. It totally seems like an Ishy plot. Please ask that question even though its likely a RAFO or a BS "I have no idea, I'd have to ask Charleston" (IHNIIHTAC)
I've always wondered why there are three Oaths. It seems to me that you could just swear not to tell a lie on the oath rod, and then swear the other two just using words and they would be just as binding without the lifespan cut in half deal.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:38 PM
Hero of the Horn

SauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to SauceyBlueConfetti

Isabel, I am considering going to the one in Dayton OH on 11/11. I got a signed book, but I would like it personalized, and now that I have read it twice and followed his comments on the signings and Facebook, I would very much like to meet him in person.

So maybe.
Yeah. Murderous Saucey. My superhero name
I am Detroit. You REALLY wanna call me wimpy?
Haphazardly Spell & Fact Checked Since June 2001

Tags
questions