art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (1): imichelinirandy,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Book Tour: The Gathering Storm
User Name
Password

Old 11-03-2009, 03:14 PM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilbert
I've always wondered why there are three Oaths. It seems to me that you could just swear not to tell a lie on the oath rod, and then swear the other two just using words and they would be just as binding without the lifespan cut in half deal.
The Oath against lieing is actually the third oath to be imposed, although it was renamed the First Oath.

IIRC, the Oath against making Weapons is the true "First" Oath.

The Oaths could easily be replaced to "Obey the Bylaws of the White Tower as Published and Ammended Annually" and a single Oath could be modified to suit political and strategic needs on a paeriodic basis.

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:18 PM
Hero of the Horn

Belazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Belazamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Harold
The Oaths could easily be replaced to "Obey the Bylaws of the White Tower as Published and Ammended Annually" and a single Oath could be modified to suit political and strategic needs on a paeriodic basis.
What happens to women like Cadsuane who duck out of the Tower for a few decades?

No one cares, no one sympathizes
You just stand around and play synthesizers
Old 11-03-2009, 03:35 PM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belazamon
What happens to women like Cadsuane who duck out of the Tower for a few decades?
It should be easy enough to post the Bylaws world-wide. It isn't necessary for every Aes Sedai to gather at Tar Valon for the Annual Reading of the Bylaws.

As long as an Aes Sedai keeps a mail drop current and checks it once a year, she should be fairly current on Bylaws that are only going to change every century or so.

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:44 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Caddy can just check their website: (www.whitetower.tarvalon.gov/bylaws/NE999)

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 11-03-2009, 06:02 PM
Youngling

Gokum is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixPax
There is an RJ interview quote I read, where he give a direct example of the difference between a "severing" caused by the One Power versus a "severing" caused by the True Power. The point being that a severing cause the True Power, is unable to be healed using the One Power.
Wrong, from the Budapest Q&A

Q: Can you sever a person from the True Power with One Power?

RJ: Not in the same way. If you try to gentle a man or still a woman who's capable of using the True Power you'd have to use another method.

Quote:
Well, the Wise Ones were in Arad Doman then, and Graendal did a large amount of harm within greater Arad Doman. So it's within reason they can notice they effects. Besides Rand did pull in a huge amount of Saidin to destroy that fortress, probably close to what he did at the Cleansing of the Taint.
You should reread chapter 47 "The One He Lost" then:

"But he had a better tool now. The most powerful tool ever created; surely no human could hold more of the One Power than he had when cleansing saidin. Burning Graendal and Natrin´s Barrow away had required only a fraction of what Rand could summon.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:46 PM
Hero of the Horn

WinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to WinespringBrother

Pam has the signing on Friday in Philadelphia, and mine is this coming Monday.

"Oh, y'all [Theorylanders] are awesome with awesome sauce, but you ask a lot of tricky questions. I had to watch myself with you guys." - Maria

"I need to RAFO more things, I'm not being very Robert Jordan..." - Brandon
Old 11-04-2009, 07:02 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Harold
As long as an Aes Sedai keeps a mail drop current and checks it once a year, she should be fairly current on Bylaws that are only going to change every century or so.
What happens if someone makes a mistake, and two of those Bylaws come into conflict with each other?
You might see all AS worldwide drop dead before anyone can gather the Hall to work out a patch, which might be just a bit ... actually, good idea. Let's implement it.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:31 AM
Hero of the Horn

Matoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93
Caddy can just check their website: (www.whitetower.tarvalon.gov/bylaws/NE999)
ERROR 404 NOT FOUND. NO LAWS EXIST.

~Aes Sedai drop dead from lack of structure~

[Gawyn] probably pops his collar. - Kivo
Mat's hat is a Darkfriend. - Daekyras
Old 11-04-2009, 08:16 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matoyak
ERROR 404 NOT FOUND. NO LAWS EXIST.

~Aes Sedai drop dead from lack of structure~
Well clearly, the WT web support people have dropped the ball.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 11-04-2009, 12:42 PM
Hero of the Horn

Belazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93
Well clearly, the WT web support people have dropped the ball.
Shoulda gotten Moghedien instead of Mesaana.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:34 PM
Elder

FelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokum
Wrong, from the Budapest Q&A

Q: Can you sever a person from the True Power with One Power?

RJ: Not in the same way. If you try to gentle a man or still a woman who's capable of using the True Power you'd have to use another method.
That's not the particular question I had in mind, Gokum. The focus was on 'healing' the damage caused, not this Budapest interview which focused on causing individuals to become 'severing', whether from the TP or OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokum
You should reread chapter 47 "The One He Lost" then:

"But he had a better tool now. The most powerful tool ever created; surely no human could hold more of the One Power than he had when cleansing saidin. Burning Graendal and Natrin´s Barrow away had required only a fraction of what Rand could summon.
What percent is "only a fraction"? It's a vague amount, which could be almost any number, be it .0001% to 49% for example. This isn't the first place in tGS that Brandon became vague, far from it.

For more see, @TinkerPride at Twitter.com
Old 11-05-2009, 11:59 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixPax
What percent is "only a fraction"? It's a vague amount, which could be almost any number, be it .0001% to 49% for example. This isn't the first place in tGS that Brandon became vague, far from it.
Generally speaking (in English at any rate), the phrase "only a fraction" implies a small fraction - that's why the word "only" is used specifically.

The More You Know...

Old 11-06-2009, 12:34 AM
Elder

FelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant future

Quote:
Generally speaking (in English at any rate), the phrase "only a fraction" implies a small fraction - that's why the word "only" is used specifically.

The More You Know...
Well, to use a somewhat similar example in tGS. Egwene "was able to grab a faint trickle of the Power. It was tiny, perhaps the least amount of the Power she'd ever channeled." (pg 622 tGS); yet look at what she was able to do once a novice circle and the most powerful sa'angreal in the White Tower was in her hands.

Rand is first far more powerful as we once saw in the Stone in Tear than Egwene. Rand isn't full of forkroot. Rand is far more skilled and has more power than a year prior. Rand has an sa'angreal that every Chosen dreams of having and fears to death if someone else had it. This is part of the reasons why, I suggested earlier that Asmodean may be alive via a Balefire mechanism if Graendal did the act in Caemlyn.

Of course, Brandon seems to thrown water on this suggestion in SLC interview. I still think Brandon could of been more forthright or have given a better example, say like Bela's own deductive proof example.

Only a faction of almost infinite One Power from the Creator, is still a huge number.

For more see, @TinkerPride at Twitter.com
Old 11-06-2009, 02:17 AM
Elder

nameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant future

I think this is exactly the sort of thing Brandon had in mind when he answered the question about whether sa'angreal worked by adding a fixed amount of power to your total ability or multiplying by a factor of your original ability. He says he's pretty sure (but not 100%) that it's the fixed amount.

Incidentally, wasn't there something about this in the Bowl of Winds chapter from Path of Daggers? Elayne holding a weak angreal and thinking "I'm strong with this, but Nynaeve would be even stronger?" Although I guess it doesn't matter if the formula is "angreal reservoir + base ability" or "angreal amplification factor X base ability" since Nynaeve would end up the stronger of the two either way.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:45 AM
Elder

Leanne is a jewel in the roughLeanne is a jewel in the roughLeanne is a jewel in the rough

I am going to the Philadelphia signing. I will be online until about 2:00. If there is anything you are dying to know or get RAFO'd let me know.

EDIT :Tonight - 7PM
Old 11-07-2009, 01:08 AM
Hero of the Horn

Marie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, so did anyone else wonder what Siuan and Leane did when they had to "remove" the Oaths and then reswear them?

We know that Siuan and Leane have not been subject to the Three Oaths since their stillings. But since Egwene required all the sisters to remove the oaths, each sister seemed to express some sort of discomfort at removing the oaths. So apparently Siuan and Leane just had to fake it... and that seems somewhat...unsatisfactory.
Old 11-07-2009, 01:39 AM
Hero of the Horn

jason wolfbrother has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to jason wolfbrother Send a message via MSN to jason wolfbrother Send a message via Yahoo to jason wolfbrother

it's always unsatisfying when she has to fake it.

Wash:"Things are about to get interesting"
Mal:"Define interesting..."
Wash:"Oh God! Oh God! We're all gonna die!?"

"If you are not living life on the edge, you are taking up too much space"
Old 11-07-2009, 02:51 AM
Hero of the Horn

JSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to JSUCamel Send a message via MSN to JSUCamel Send a message via Yahoo to JSUCamel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason wolfbrother
it's always unsatisfying when she has to fake it.
You would know

"Nice try, Jack!" - Robert Jordan (to Camel)
"Camel must be the coolest TLer ever, by now." -GLotD

A grilled cheese eaten more than five minutes later is just no good. -Crispin

Old 11-08-2009, 07:24 PM
Ancient

Tercel will become famous soon enoughTercel will become famous soon enough
Default A question I ask someone to ask

It is my belief that Moiraine's letter to Thom contains coded instructions. Deciphering it is impossible without having an approximate idea of what sort of coding scheme might be in use.

So, if anyone gets a chance, can someone please ask BS the following question:

"We have heard 'codes' and 'ciphers' mentioned by many characters many times throughout the books. Have you had to do any background research in this area? What particular types of codes and ciphers are used?"

I think that's broad enough that Sanderson will give an answer rather than a RAFO. I am unable to find any indications that RJ or BS have ever been asked this sort of question before (other than RJ commenting that some of his favorite books were about codes and ciphers).

So, if anyone can ask BS that question, I will be happy.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:06 AM
Youngling

Nightstrike is an unknown quantity at this point

I have wondered about lots of things that almost certainly are RAFOs. You can judge which ones to ask, since you're more experienced with that than I am. I wouldn't wanna vaste Brandon's (or your) time with the wrong ones to ask.

Men use fire & spirit to weave gateways, but women use only spirit. I assume that that might cause men to have an "gateway size advantage"? Is that correct?

Are there "several" or "a couple" of levels difference between men's and women's strength? Maybe that differs between difference between the strongest ones of each gender, and between the average of each gender (curves aren't symmetrical)?

Are the strength distribution curves for any of the genders symmetrical/asymmetrical? (I think they are probably both asymmetrical)

Oh, maybe I should explain why I wanted to ask the third question - whether both male & female strength distribution curves are symmetrical, from weakest to strongest of their genders - it's mainly because of RJ's blog post (see below). That, and other things, has led me to believe that the average for women is far below half of the strongest woman's strength.

I just thought I should explain myself. Probably a RAFO, but you never know...

Quote:
For Gyrehead, Foretelling is not related to strength. The weakest possible channeler could Foretell as strongly as Elaida or Nicola, or perhaps even more so, depending entirely on the strength of his or her Talent for Foretelling. The three Red Sitters were sent into exile in 985 NE under Marith Jaen. Yes, Morgase has slowed, and that is exactly why there is so much emphasis on her looking only ten years older than Perrin when she has children the ages of Elayne and Gawyn. Regarding the percentage of women who could test for the shawl, it would be 62.5% of the bellcurve. I’ll leave the maths to you for an idle moment. The question doesn’t really apply to men, since the Black Tower accepts anyone who can learn to channel, but if the White Tower limits were applied, it would be roughly 65.4% of the bellcurve. Although, considering the effectiveness question, they should probably set it at the same 62.5%. Again, the maths are all yours. Regarding the levels of male strength, while the weakest man and the weakest woman would be roughly equivalent, you might say that there are several levels of male strength on top of the female levels. Remember to integrate this with what I’ve said elsewhere about effectiveness, though.

Tags
questions