art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7652

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Book Tour: The Gathering Storm
User Name
Password

Old 11-03-2009, 01:21 PM
Hero of the Horn

Crispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I was being a tiny bit facetious, of course. I like how Brandon is channeling RJ's non-committal answering abilities.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:13 PM
Hero of the Horn

JSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to JSUCamel Send a message via MSN to JSUCamel Send a message via Yahoo to JSUCamel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispin's Crispian
Well, I was being a tiny bit facetious, of course. I like how Brandon is channeling RJ's non-committal answering abilities.
Comes with the job, apparently.

I don't think this rules Graendal in or out.

Side note: Rand doesn't know Asmo is dead. As far as he's concerned, Asmo just disappeared. How come Rand has chased down Rahvin, Sammael and Graendal, but hasn't bothered to track down Asmo?

This side note ties into the Graendal thing. If Graendal's dead, there's no reason she couldn't have committed the murder of Asmo. I'm not sure there's anywhere where RJ says we'll have a POV of the killer, but it could easily wind up that Rand confronts Lanfear or Demandred or Moridin and makes an off-hand comment about Asmodean, and they say "Ha! That fool was killed by Graendal!" or whatever. It's possible.

"Nice try, Jack!" - Robert Jordan (to Camel)
"Camel must be the coolest TLer ever, by now." -GLotD

A grilled cheese eaten more than five minutes later is just no good. -Crispin

Old 11-03-2009, 02:20 PM
Ancient

Neilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant future

Because, for obvious reasons, unlike the rest of them Rand has no clue as to Asmodean's current whereabouts.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:53 PM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSUCamel
Side note: Rand doesn't know Asmo is dead. As far as he's concerned, Asmo just disappeared. How come Rand has chased down Rahvin, Sammael and Graendal, but hasn't bothered to track down Asmo?
Because there is no sign of Asmodean, so as far as Rand is concerned, he may be hiding out in Shara, in an abandoned Ogier Stedding in the Waste, or in the Land of the Madman (about which Rand doesn't know anything at all).

If any of the Forsaken had wanted to send Rand on a stupid goose chase, then dropping a few signed "Asmodean's Greatest Hits" records here and there would have worked wonders.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:57 PM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
So he's effectively saying Graendal did it, right? I mean, he eliminated the possibility of BF'ing Graendal back so far that Asmodean comes back to life. He didn't even qualify it to suggest it might not have been Graendal.

Nice.
It seemed to me that he was saying that Greandal was NOT balefired back far enough for the question to be an issue. She wasn't balefired back 200+ days so whether she killed him or not, he's still dead.

EDITED to add a crtical three letter word.

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:15 PM
Hero of the Horn

Crispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I know.

I guess I should take this particular forum more seriously, as no one expects me to be joking about stuff here.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:15 PM
Ancient

Neilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93
But it is another check in the column that supports it. I'm not saying its definite but there is far more evidence for it than there is for any other explanation. Rand's own POV opinion supports it.
Saying that the Taint was a partial cause in the construction of the voice is nothing I haven't been saying for a very long time. Barrier degradation has nothing to do with it. However, it's been a while since I tilted at this particular windmill, so lets talk taint barrier degradation.

The strongest correlation between the memories is Rand channeling (or becoming Ta'veren, they happen at the same time). Rand channels the first time, Rand remembers Shayol Ghul. The more he channels the more he remembers. Even the taint degradation crowd agrees on this, though they specify the taint as the cause. However, suddenly, Rand finds himself channeling nothing but pure untainted Saidin, possibly more than anyone else ever has, and he remembers every one of his past lives.

If anything taint barrier degradation has taken a huge hit. Rands saidin addiction is the more likely culprit, probably with some sort of ta'veren predisposition.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:27 PM
Hero of the Horn

Sodas has a spectacular aura aboutSodas has a spectacular aura aboutSodas has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamyrlin
I asked: Was the taint influential in the creation/development/existence of the voice of Lews Therin in Rand's head?

Brandon answered that the taint was influential, but not the only factor. He referenced Semirhage, that of course we can't believe the Forsaken always, but yes, that the taint was an influence in the the voice. That we have to accept that in fact, in a way, Rand is going insane (as in as the books progress).

I asked, in essence, are One Power and True Power balefire the same.

He answered that the True Power is another source of power, that Aes Sedai were researching another source, like a different form of battery, to power their weaves and that in for balefire, what it does is essentially the same between both power sources, but that it has different affects on the individual using the power source (this appeared to be a reference to what True Power does to its user).

WISH I HAD THESE ON TAPE, so I had the exact wording of question and answer...but I'm sure he'll answer them on the record again, because he believed he was on the record, but ustream was messed up at that moment.
I'm glad BS said that. It was the Taint mostly, but it wasn't the only culprit.

And I love how he said in a way he's going insane. Not that he went insane and constructed LTT in his own mind.

I feel BS vindicates my position.

Mazrim Taim drew the eye. He was tall, with a strongly hooked nose and an air of physical strength about him. An air of darkness, too. He sat there with his ankles crossed and one arm hanging over the heavy arm of the throne, yet he seemed ready to explode into violence. Interestingly, though his black coat was embroidered with blue-and-gold dragons that twined around the sleeves from elbows to cuffs, he did not wear the collar pins.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:32 PM
Hero of the Horn

JSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to JSUCamel Send a message via MSN to JSUCamel Send a message via Yahoo to JSUCamel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilbert
However, suddenly, Rand finds himself channeling nothing but pure untainted Saidin, possibly more than anyone else ever has, and he remembers every one of his past lives.

If anything taint barrier degradation has taken a huge hit. Rands saidin addiction is the more likely culprit, probably with some sort of ta'veren predisposition.
I don't see why the cleansing of saidin necessarily leads to the barriers suddenly being back in place.

To use an analogy:

My parents got divorced and I stopped speaking to my father six years ago. I get sick with a terminal disease and as a result start communicating more openly with my family and get back in touch with my father. It's not a perfect relationship, but we're communicating. By a miracle of medicine, my disease is cured. There's no logical reason why I should suddenly start ignoring my father again.

Similarly, if the barrier falls, there's no reason that the cleansing of saidin should reestablish the barriers. If anything, the memories would stay around. Or are you proposing that his mind be magically wiped and he starts back where he was in Two Rivers?

Old 11-03-2009, 05:44 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodas
I'm glad BS said that. It was the Taint mostly, but it wasn't the only culprit.
Now you're putting words in his mouth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodas
I feel BS vindicates my position.
This from the guy who hasn't even got the wherewithal to vote for the position he argues from....
Old 11-03-2009, 05:58 PM
Hero of the Horn

Sodas has a spectacular aura aboutSodas has a spectacular aura aboutSodas has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez
Now you're putting words in his mouth.

This from the guy who hasn't even got the wherewithal to vote for the position he argues from....
Lol. BS just debunked your theory and all you got is insults.

Typical...

Mazrim Taim drew the eye. He was tall, with a strongly hooked nose and an air of physical strength about him. An air of darkness, too. He sat there with his ankles crossed and one arm hanging over the heavy arm of the throne, yet he seemed ready to explode into violence. Interestingly, though his black coat was embroidered with blue-and-gold dragons that twined around the sleeves from elbows to cuffs, he did not wear the collar pins.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:11 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

He didn't even come close to debunking it (even if it hadn't already been proven in the books). But you put words in his mouth. Go back and read what he said again, and then what you said, and see if you can figure it out.

I don't have much faith in you figuring it out, but I'm sure everyone else knows what I'm talking about.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:26 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez
He didn't even come close to debunking it (even if it hadn't already been proven in the books). But you put words in his mouth. Go back and read what he said again, and then what you said, and see if you can figure it out.

I don't have much faith in you figuring it out, but I'm sure everyone else knows what I'm talking about.
You keep appealing to the rest of Theoryland, Terez. Why do you do that?

Anyway, I have no idea what Sodas is talking about. How did what BS said in any way debunk Construct theory? Even if the Taint is the primary cause of the Voice, that still has no impact on whether the Voice is "real." It could be a construct, it could be a leftover personality incarnation, or it could be...whatever Sodas thinks it is.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:32 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
You keep appealing to the rest of Theoryland, Terez. Why do you do that?
It's my way of saying there's no point in arguing with him because he's the only one that doesn't get it. But maybe I was wrong...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC
Even if the Taint is the primary cause of the Voice
That's not what BS said.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:58 PM
Elder

Yuri33 is just really niceYuri33 is just really niceYuri33 is just really niceYuri33 is just really niceYuri33 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BS
Matt - Question: The Choedan Kal, does it amplify your power? Is it a limited, for example, if I have a certain amount of power does it give me 10x what I have, or is it a certain amount of power I can access?

Brandon: One of the things I’ve been doing when I answer questions is that I’ve been saying that this is my understanding and putting an asterisk at the bottom that is a - I am speaking from my understanding and not from specific knowledge from the notes, meaning yes I am probably right but these are the questions I could be wrong on…this one my understanding is that it is a reservoir of power. It is not necessarily a magnification. A very weak person with a very powerful sa’angreal is very powerful. I’m pretty sure on that one, but I will add the asterisk just in case. If you send me an email, I can go back and look to make sure. But I’m reasonably sure on that one, the reasons being things that are talked about in the notes mixed with the way an’greal and sa’angreal worked previously in the books mixed with two specific things that he talked about in the notes when people using an’greal and sa’angreal after they become very weak or after they are weak.
This is very interesting. First of all, I'm pretty sure he was mistaken about the *angreal being "reservoir of power", as he talks about multiplying Rand's stength x100 with the CK later on, and he put a big star next to that part of the answer. But that last part is is something new. Could we be seeing Siuan and/or Leane using *angreal for some purpose? I don't think any of us have thought of those two participating at the front lines of battle or any other situation requiring significant channeling.

Or it could be an awkwardly worded way to refer to Rand's, Moiraine's, and/or Verin's use of angreal to support channelling when they were really fatigued in past books.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:06 PM
Ancient

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSUCamel
I don't see why the cleansing of saidin necessarily leads to the barriers suddenly being back in place.
I don't see what this has to do with what I wrote.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:21 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilbert
I don't see what this has to do with what I wrote.
I think maybe I misread or misunderstood what you were saying. Whoops.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:05 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Anyway, I have no idea what Sodas is talking about. How did what BS said in any way debunk Construct theory?
Because he's telling you the voice was primarily a result of the Taint. Not Rand's mental denial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc
Even if the Taint is the primary cause of the Voice, that still has no impact on whether the Voice is "real." It could be a construct, it could be a leftover personality incarnation, or it could be...whatever Sodas thinks it is.
Lol. I have always said real.

This quote debunks construct because it says the voice was created primarily because of the Taint. Not Rand's mind.

Now I'm just using that word debuked because I think its funny, but its clear in this book and in BS's quotes, that LTT's voice was real.

If you don't get what I'm saying, feel free to pm me. I'll happily answer your questions.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:10 PM
Lord of the Board

Tamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tamyrlin
Default Primarily isn't how I understood it

Brandon said it was influential. I'm not sure why anyone would conclude this supports Real or mental denial to the denial of the other, beyond the fact that it leaves the door open for multiple things to be going on.

I think it's a mix of the Pattern, being the Dragon, the taint, Rand's paranoia about these new memories.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:20 PM
Hero of the Horn

I'm just teasing about it debunking, Tam.

This is the second statement from Brandon that leaves the door wide open to interpretation.

Last edited by Sodas; 11-03-2009 at 10:25 PM.