art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7652

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Book Tour: The Gathering Storm
User Name
Password

Old 11-03-2009, 11:19 PM
Hero of the Horn

Sodas has a spectacular aura aboutSodas has a spectacular aura aboutSodas has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamyrlin
Brandon said it was influential. I'm not sure why anyone would conclude this supports Real
I think it concludes what I had been saying in the other thread. Brandon has a better way with words than I. Influence. Yes, the Taint influenced the barriers between Rand's lives, so that the mad voice of Lews Therin infected his mind. Certaintly, there were other things that influenced LTT, like the Cleansing, which lead to Lews Therin becoming more and more sane. And the Soul, which is resilient. And the body, which I believe healed itself because it was the Champion of Light, Ta'varen, and subject to Healing from time to time.

I think I'm going to need to create a new thread to explain my position more clearly.

Mazrim Taim drew the eye. He was tall, with a strongly hooked nose and an air of physical strength about him. An air of darkness, too. He sat there with his ankles crossed and one arm hanging over the heavy arm of the throne, yet he seemed ready to explode into violence. Interestingly, though his black coat was embroidered with blue-and-gold dragons that twined around the sleeves from elbows to cuffs, he did not wear the collar pins.

Last edited by Sodas; 11-03-2009 at 11:25 PM.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:22 AM
Hero of the Horn

Belazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Belazamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamyrlin
Brandon answered that the taint was influential, but not the only factor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodas
Because he's telling you the voice was primarily a result of the Taint. Not Rand's mental denial.
One of these things is not like the other.

No one cares, no one sympathizes
You just stand around and play synthesizers
Old 11-04-2009, 12:27 AM
Hero of the Horn

Belazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispin's Crispian
I guess I should take this particular forum more seriously, as no one expects me to be joking about stuff here.
I've been meaning to berate you about that.

WoT is SERIOUS BUSINESS, dammit.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:31 AM
Hero of the Horn

Sodas has a spectacular aura aboutSodas has a spectacular aura aboutSodas has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belazamon
One of these things is not like the other.
That's alright. I still like the phrase :

the taint was an influence on the voice.

where has RJ or BS ever confirmed that Rand's repression of emotions was an influence on the voice....

Mazrim Taim drew the eye. He was tall, with a strongly hooked nose and an air of physical strength about him. An air of darkness, too. He sat there with his ankles crossed and one arm hanging over the heavy arm of the throne, yet he seemed ready to explode into violence. Interestingly, though his black coat was embroidered with blue-and-gold dragons that twined around the sleeves from elbows to cuffs, he did not wear the collar pins.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:56 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
where has RJ or BS ever confirmed that Rand's repression of emotions was an influence on the voice....
tGS. Whole book.

Game, set, match.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:40 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

lol, not just this book either. The evidence of that is all through the series, even from before Rand got Lews Therin's memories.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:54 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Harold
It seemed to me that he was saying that Greandal was NOT balefired back far enough for the question to be an issue. She wasn't balefired back 200+ days so whether she killed him or not, he's still dead.
But that assumption depends on accepting the flawed calculation which Brandon gave.

Consider: he started out with assuming that the CK was about 100 times as powerful as Rand. Yet we know the CK totally freaked out the Forsaken because of the utterly enormous amount of Power you could draw with it. We also know that the strongest circle possible was one of 72 people (35 men and 37 women).
This would mean that that utterly outlandish artifact, the CK, was a mere three times as powerful as a maximum circle without any angreal or sa-angreal in it.
So, if Brandon is correct, then in the War of the Power the Forsaken could have matched the CK if they had used a big circle in which every channeler had a strong angreal or a not very strong sa-angreal, and they could have overpowered it if they had had a few stronger sa-angreal in their circle.

Thus, I would say that it is more reasonable to assume that the CK is a thousand times as strong as Rand, or perhaps even more than that. And the time suddenly becomes suspiciously close to being right for not having killed Asmodean after all. Which, of course, leaves the question wide open.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:01 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

Intellectual dishonesty makes me sick.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:26 AM
Hero of the Horn

Matoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of light

[Gawyn] probably pops his collar. - Kivo
Mat's hat is a Darkfriend. - Daekyras
Old 11-04-2009, 06:38 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez
Intellectual dishonesty makes me sick.
Almost as though you wouldn't like meeting any real AS.

But to be honest: I do not really think that Rand used the full power of the CK to burn away the fortress, so the argument is moot anyway. Rand used as much as he needed to use, and not (much) more than that.

In the WotP whole cities were burned away with balefire, and what they called a city then was surely a lot bigger than that single fortress. Yet that was done without the CK.
Thus, it is quite possible that Rand did indeed use 100 times the power he could draw unaided in this specific case.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:40 AM
Hero of the Horn

None of that changes the fact that BS knows that Asmodean is not coming back, and that the question is quite closed.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:10 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matoyak
Can I borrow that? I think it could come in handy around here for the next month or so.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:53 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
tGS. Whole book.

Game, set, match.
Lol.

You know perfectly well that I was talking about confirmation outside the books.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:55 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
You know perfectly well that I was talking about confirmation outside the books.
I do know this. I was just injecting a bit of levity into things.

But, enough of that. WoT is SERIOUS BUSINESS.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:09 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
I do know this. I was just injecting a bit of levity into things.

But, enough of that. WoT is SERIOUS BUSINESS.
Lol. Seriously.

It is serious business.

Last edited by Sodas; 11-04-2009 at 01:43 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:02 PM
Hero of the Horn

Matoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Can I borrow that? I think it could come in handy around here for the next month or so.
By all means. I found the snakey wheel on the creative commons with a free-use license and just slapped some words on it. Use it to your heart's content. I was considering shrinking it small enough for avatar form. Might shove it into one of those orbs that I like to make so much for forum avatars.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:04 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matoyak
I was considering shrinking it small enough for avatar form. Might shove it into one of those orbs that I like to make so much for forum avatars.
In case you didn't notice elsewhere, I've already shrunk it a bit...

If you need it shrinked any further, just lemme know.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:18 PM
Elder

greatwolf will become famous soon enoughgreatwolf will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat
But that assumption depends on accepting the flawed calculation which Brandon gave.

Consider: he started out with assuming that the CK was about 100 times as powerful as Rand.
Maybe he meant 100 times as powerful as Callandor. I remember Rand thinking he could draw as much as a hundred or thousand men with Callandor in tPoD.

Of course, the other thing about a weak channeler with a saangreal could also be flawed. But he did say he could be in error iirc.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:12 PM
Elder

FelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez
None of that changes the fact that BS knows that Asmodean is not coming back, and that the question is quite closed.
May so, Terez, however why is Brandon relying on the eWoT for evidence and to help see the context of the story when he has the extensive original notes of RJ, not to mention RJ's assistants??

To @Bela, nice deductive proof in another thread about why Asmodean should not coming back. The unanswered question I still have about Balefire is how exactly does it function? Is there a randomness element to it, or does it always act consistently? I assume RJ knew exactly how it worked, considering his prior formal education background and interests.

For more see, @TinkerPride at Twitter.com
Old 11-05-2009, 09:35 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
In case you didn't notice elsewhere, I've already shrunk it a bit...

If you need it shrinked any further, just lemme know.
Heheh, nah, I know how to use image editing software quite good, thanks though.
EDIT: And Felix...really?