art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Book Tour: The Gathering Storm
User Name
Password

Old 11-13-2009, 04:15 PM
Lord of the Board

Tamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tamyrlin
Default Kentucky Signing - Paraphrased

From the storm leader report on Dragonmount, thought these were worth mentioning and discussion:
  • Brandon hinted at some severe limitations on Shaidar Haran to affect the physical world. He says that a lot of actions that people assume to be those of Shaidar Haran in the book in one particular scene were physically carried out by Elza. He further indicated that Shadar Haran would have been incapable of physically placing the collar himself.
  • Brandon admitted there would be overlapping chronology between The Gathering Storm and The Towers of Midnight and that Graendal’s name will be mentioned a few times.
  • Jordan’s outline for WoT’s conclusion was about 2500 pages.
  • When it comes to Asmodean’s death or possibility of rebirth or potential killers, Brandon seems oddly obsessed with balefire being the means of death when discussing talking points.
Old 11-13-2009, 04:17 PM
Lord of the Board

Tamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default What this means for Asmodean

If his killer is revealed in Towers of Midnight, it could be Graendal from her point of view before her death, since we know there will be time overlap...seems like a plausible way to throw it in, although lame, but plausible.
Old 11-13-2009, 04:21 PM
Lord of the Board

Default About Shaidar Haran

I think we need some clarification and I wish we had the audio on this answer because it seems more involved than the paraphrased answer we got. I'm not sure I understand why SH would have been incapable of placing the collar himself...yet capable of rape. As in, is it something having to do with the collar? Or am I just not reading that right?
Old 11-13-2009, 04:24 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Interesting. I wonder who Compelled Elza! Seems it couldn't have been Shaidar Haran (not that I ever thought it likely he could do something like that). Perhaps Graendal was involved? Or Moridin?
Old 11-13-2009, 04:25 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez
Interesting. I wonder who Compelled Elza! Seems it couldn't have been Shaidar Haran (not that I ever thought it likely he could do something like that). Perhaps Graendal was involved? Or Moridin?
Umm...Verin did when she interrogated her in PoD.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 11-13-2009, 04:26 PM
Ancient

Kurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud of

I wouldn't expect such a retrospective POV. I presume it refers to Mat/Perrin.

It would be interesting but I don't think we need a Graendal experience (though I wouldn't mind one).

Nice bits about SH though!
Old 11-13-2009, 04:32 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93
Umm...Verin did when she interrogated her in PoD.
lol, duh. But I got the impression that she had been Compelled in the usual fashion this time around. Perhaps not...
Old 11-13-2009, 04:34 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
lol, duh. But I got the impression that she had been Compelled in the usual fashion this time around. Perhaps not...
Nah, I think it was that initial Compulsion by Verin to make her "obey the Dragon Reborn" or whatever it was she had her do.

Interesting thought: Verin knew that Elza was Black Ajah...did Elza have any inkling that Verin was too? That would make the "How could YOU of all people follow him, Verin?" comment more interesting.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Last edited by Davian93; 11-13-2009 at 04:43 PM.
Old 11-13-2009, 04:39 PM
Hero of the Horn

Well, Elza was definitely on Verin's list. No telling if she was known before Verin Compelled her or not tho.
Old 11-13-2009, 04:42 PM
Elder

AbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant future

Quote:
He says that a lot of actions that people assume to be those of Shaidar Haran in the book in one particular scene were physically carried out by Elza.
Further proof of Amys or Sorilea being a Darkfriend, perhaps?

Quote:
Brandon admitted there would be overlapping chronology between The Gathering Storm and The Towers of Midnight and that Graendal’s name will be mentioned a few times.
It would be kind of cool to get a Graendal POV where she is interrogating Rand's bait and planning what to do to Rand right before the massive balefire fries everyone.

Quote:
When it comes to Asmodean’s death or possibility of rebirth or potential killers, Brandon seems oddly obsessed with balefire being the means of death when discussing talking points.
Is it just me, or is Graendal becoming a more likely culprit?

"He can compress the most words into the smallest idea of any man I ever met."
— Abraham Lincoln

Draw a crazy picture, write a nutty poem. Sing a mumble-gumble song, whistle through your comb. Do a loony-goony dance 'cross the kitchen floor. Put something silly in the world that ain't been there before.
Old 11-13-2009, 04:44 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Well, Elza was definitely on Verin's list. No telling if she was known before Verin Compelled her or not tho.
Yeah, I knew that. I meant to edit my post but a supervisor walked by so I just hit submit and minimized my screen.

Old 11-13-2009, 04:44 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbeyRoad
Further proof of Amys or Sorilea being a Darkfriend, perhaps?
It was Sorilea and Bair. But Shaidar Haran still could have nullified the wards, technically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbey
Is it just me, or is Graendal becoming a more likely culprit?
I think it's just you. I think that he was referring to the means of Asmodean's death. Unless there is reason to think otherwise?
Old 11-13-2009, 05:13 PM
Elder

AbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant future

Quote:
It was Sorilea and Bair. But Shaidar Haran still could have nullified the wards, technically.
Yeah, got my names confused, thanks. And SH could certainly have nullified the wards technically (unless BS said he couldn't, as he said SH is limited and we don't know exactly how limited), but it certainly gives some evidence for the theory.

Quote:
I think it's just you. I think that he was referring to the means of Asmodean's death. Unless there is reason to think otherwise?
Well, one of the common theories of Asmo's killer is that Slayer was hired by someone (i.e. Lanfear). Asmo being balefired kills that one.

Also, I know a lot of people think that Graendal being dead negates her likelihood as the killer. Her having more POV's makes her viable again.

"He can compress the most words into the smallest idea of any man I ever met."
— Abraham Lincoln

Draw a crazy picture, write a nutty poem. Sing a mumble-gumble song, whistle through your comb. Do a loony-goony dance 'cross the kitchen floor. Put something silly in the world that ain't been there before.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:21 PM
Hero of the Horn

Belazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Belazamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamyrlin
I think we need some clarification and I wish we had the audio on this answer because it seems more involved than the paraphrased answer we got. I'm not sure I understand why SH would have been incapable of placing the collar himself...yet capable of rape. As in, is it something having to do with the collar? Or am I just not reading that right?
My guess - location, location, location. Unless my memory fails me utterly, Moghedien's "punishment" took place in a vacuole, possibly right next door to the Bore (metaphysically speaking, of course).

No one cares, no one sympathizes
You just stand around and play synthesizers
Old 11-13-2009, 08:56 PM
Elder

nameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant future

Shaidar Haran also demonstrated a decent amount of power of Mesaana and Alviarin, and they were definitely nowhere near the Bore at that point. Maybe he can exert some kind of mental control over Darkfriends but no one else? As far as we know no one who isn't a Darkfriend has ever even seen him.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:11 PM
Hero of the Horn

Belazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless
As far as we know no one who isn't a Darkfriend has ever even seen him.
That's not entirely true if you take into account the "beta versions."

Old 11-13-2009, 10:14 PM
Elder

nameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant future

Versions, plural? The only beta I noticed was the one who beats up Jaichim in the Fortress of Light, and it teleported out of the room before anyone else saw it.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:47 PM
Hero of the Horn

I'm operating under the assumption that anytime we saw a smirky Fade, it was Shaidar Haran version 0.? - the one Rand met in Baerlon, f'rinstance.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:09 PM
Elder

FelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant future

Quote:
Mesaana in the Prologue of tGS knew of a Black Ajah spy within Rand's group, and Mesaana claimed Semirhage did not mean to kill Rand during the pseudo-meeting with the Daughter of Nine Moons (KoD book).

So my best guess would be that Mesaana entered into Elza mind via the TAR and compelled her to action in Arad Doman. All this occurring on Shaidar Haran or the Dark One's direct orders likely. We know as a fact that compulsion in the TAR is more effective than in the real world, according to Moghedien.

Elza was a pawn of Mesaana's, going as far back as the White Tower embassy to captured Rand in Cairhien with Galina in the lead. Yes, Verin later used compulsion on Elza to re-route her allegiances towards supporting Rand, after the events at Dumai Wells...but obviously the Shadow learned Elza was being used by someone else (Verin) in tGS book.

An open question though, is did Mesaana use compulsion via the TAR on any of the "other" captured White Tower Embassy to Rand, who are with Rand now in Tear? Beldeine, Nesune, Sarene, Coiren, Erian?

For more see, @TinkerPride at Twitter.com

Last edited by FelixPax; 11-13-2009 at 11:24 PM.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:40 PM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless
Shaidar Haran also demonstrated a decent amount of power of Mesaana and Alviarin, and they were definitely nowhere near the Bore at that point. Maybe he can exert some kind of mental control over Darkfriends but no one else? As far as we know no one who isn't a Darkfriend has ever even seen him.
Somewher in Kinslayer's Dagger:

aCoS
Chapter 40
Spears

The Myrddraal moved from the deeper shadows, becoming visible. In its eyes, the gateways had left a residue - three patches of glowing mist. It could not tell one flow from another, but it could distinguish saidin from saidar by the smell. Saidin smelled like the sharp edge of a knife, the point of a thorn. Saidar smelled soft, but like something that would grow harder the harder it was pressed. No other Myrddraal could smell that difference. Shaidar Haran was like no other Myrddraal.

Picking up a discarded spear, Shaidar Haran used it to upend the bag Sammael had discarded, and then to stir the bits of stone that fell out. Much was happening outside the plan. Would these events churn chaos, or...

Angry black flames raced down the spear haft from Shaidar Haran’s hand, the hand of the Hand of the Shadow. In an instant the wooden haft was charred and twisted; the spearhead dropped off. The Myrddraal let the blackened stick fall and dusted soot from its palm. If Sammael served chaos, then all was well. If not...

A sudden ache climbed the back of its neck; a faint weakness washed along its limbs. Too long away from Shayol Ghul. That tie had to be severed somehow. With a snarl, it turned to find the edge of shadow that it needed. The day was coming. It would come.
Shaidar Haran is the Do's ROV/Telepresence Remote, but he apparently has a limited "battery life" What he can do is probably a function of how long since he recharged and how far he is from Shayol Ghul.

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.

Last edited by Weird Harold; 11-14-2009 at 02:39 AM.